Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Really? Again This Year With The Flower Garden??
crazydaycarelady 11:07 AM 04-09-2014
It must be really really hard to control your kids while you get them into the car because NONE of my dcparents have mastered this!

I have a flower garden in my front yard. It is very well-defined and sits between the sidewalk and the driveway. Since some people are too lazy to walk around I have stones laid down the center for people to walk across. Other than that there is NO reason that anyone should be walking through there or in the garden at all.

So why are the kids picking my flowers, picking up my rocks and other ornaments (including some colorful glass railroad insulators that my dad gave me,) or putting handfuls of dirt in my birdbath.

It is ridiculous! I cannot see the front yard from my daycare room so I can't run herd on the kids once they go outside so I usually get a look at the damage once the day is over and I go out front. The front yard is NOT a daycare space. The outdoor place area is in the back. There should be nothing going on out front other than loading and unloading kids.

Am I really going to have to remind the parents to keep their kids out of the garden and put up signs this year?

How hard is this?

Can I not have anything nice?
Heidi 11:17 AM 04-09-2014
Yes, you're going to have to remind them.

You could go with "hey, unless you want to pitch in for an electric fence, I would appreciate everyone keeping the kids out of the flower garden".

Or....

You could just put a little fence around it? They have the cutest 30-36 inch high "rod iron" fences at Menards (a home store here). THey're not terribly expensive, and look adorable. Here's a similar one I found (a UK site, but you get the idea). They have a few different styles, and even a little gate panel so you don't have to climb over. The 3-foot wide panels were $15-$25 or so each.

http://www.premiersheds.co.uk/garden...nce-panels.htm
Jack Sprat 11:18 AM 04-09-2014
I have the same issue with one of dcb. Every day he has to walk on the rocks for the flower beds or run across grass. I tell him everyday in front of dcm DO NOT walk on the rocks, flower beds, nor the grass. We have certain areas that are for daycare and those are not.
AmyLeigh 01:03 PM 04-09-2014
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
It must be really really hard to control your kids while you get them into the car because NONE of my dcparents have mastered this!

I have a flower garden in my front yard. It is very well-defined and sits between the sidewalk and the driveway. Since some people are too lazy to walk around I have stones laid down the center for people to walk across. Other than that there is NO reason that anyone should be walking through there or in the garden at all.

So why are the kids picking my flowers, picking up my rocks and other ornaments (including some colorful glass railroad insulators that my dad gave me,) or putting handfuls of dirt in my birdbath.

It is ridiculous! I cannot see the front yard from my daycare room so I can't run herd on the kids once they go outside so I usually get a look at the damage once the day is over and I go out front. The front yard is NOT a daycare space. The outdoor place area is in the back. There should be nothing going on out front other than loading and unloading kids.

Am I really going to have to remind the parents to keep their kids out of the garden and put up signs this year?

How hard is this?

Can I not have anything nice?
Maybe it's time to raise rates in order to pay for repairing/replacing everything, not to mention couple of paid personal days to do the work!

(Sorry, feeling a little snarky today.)

Actually that would really get under my skin, I love my flower beds.
crazydaycarelady 02:37 PM 04-09-2014
Ugh! I really don't want to put up fencing. I guess I need to decide what bugs me more - them in the garden or putting up fencing. I SHOULD be able to have a flower garden though!
Heidi 03:38 PM 04-09-2014
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
Ugh! I really don't want to put up fencing. I guess I need to decide what bugs me more - them in the garden or putting up fencing. I SHOULD be able to have a flower garden though!
Honestly, you're right, and I'd be frustrated too. Heck, I get frustrated when the 2 1/2 year old follows my teenager around (as she's cleaning windows) and smears spit all over them.

I do think it's okay to say to everyone. "Hey, there's been an issue with kids wrecking my garden. Since I can't see who it was, I am asking everyone to please make sure the kids are under control on the way to the car. It's not just my garden; it's really a safety issue, too, since they could run into the street or who-knows-what. Can I get your support on that?"

Or something like that...

If that doesn't work, have one of your own kids (if you have one old enough) play spy for you. Pay him $5 to do reconnaissance work for you. WHO is doing it? Then, confront said parent.
Second Home 06:57 AM 04-10-2014
I have similar issues and it drives my crazy . I would never disrespect someones property that way or allow my kids to do it .

In my case I have parents who drive on my lawn ( one actually drove about 12 feet on my lawn / sidewalk while my dh & dd were sitting right there on the steps). They dig up the grass and leave muddy ruts from the tires . I thought I knew who it was and have not had many issues since that child went to school and left my program . Now it is starting again .

I went out and bought a bunch of those reflector things on stakes and lined the art of the driveway that dcp can't seem to stay on . Some got the point others I had to talk to . I pretended like I was not sure who it was and was just asking everyone to be careful.
MarinaVanessa 07:00 AM 04-10-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Honestly, you're right, and I'd be frustrated too. Heck, I get frustrated when the 2 1/2 year old follows my teenager around (as she's cleaning windows) and smears spit all over them.

I do think it's okay to say to everyone. "Hey, there's been an issue with kids wrecking my garden. Since I can't see who it was, I am asking everyone to please make sure the kids are under control on the way to the car. It's not just my garden; it's really a safety issue, too, since they could run into the street or who-knows-what. Can I get your support on that?"

Or something like that...

If that doesn't work, have one of your own kids (if you have one old enough) play spy for you. Pay him $5 to do reconnaissance work for you. WHO is doing it? Then, confront said parent.
All of the above ... and then talk to said culprit and parent and have them fix the issue the next day. "Hi Susan, so yesterday I noticed that Billy threw a handful of dirt into my birdbath. We talked about this being an issue before and it really bothers me. Here's a scrub brush for billy. I need you to dump the water and have him scrub the birdbath clean. Let me know when it's clean so I can refill the birdbath with clean water". Once they're done mention again that all children need to be walked out by the parent.
SilverSabre25 07:10 AM 04-10-2014
That would make me so mad! It drives me nuts when parents don't draw boundaries for their kids. I would never allow that at someone else's house/business/etc!!!

I have a mom who doesn't control her son between here and the car. He used to run through my neighbor's yard, end up on her rock, and once he even CROSSED THE STREET.
Blackcat31 08:19 AM 04-10-2014
Originally Posted by Jack Sprat:
I have the same issue with one of dcb. Every day he has to walk on the rocks for the flower beds or run across grass. I tell him everyday in front of dcm DO NOT walk on the rocks, flower beds, nor the grass. We have certain areas that are for daycare and those are not.
I would stop telling DCB and tell MOM.

"DCM, I'd appreciate it if you would stop allowing Billy to ruin my landscaping.

He is to be supervised during ALL drop offs and pick ups for this reason."

Maybe, just maybe she would be embarrassed enough to actually control him.

I finally had to put something in writing in my handbook about ALL children needing to be supervised (some needing to be hand-held) during drop off and pick up.

I too, am continually amazed at what parents will allow their child to do on someone else property.
MarinaVanessa 02:03 PM 04-10-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I finally had to put something in writing in my handbook about ALL children needing to be supervised (some needing to be hand-held) during drop off and pick up.

I too, am continually amazed at what parents will allow their child to do on someone else property.
EXACTLY!! I live in an HOA and had my first client allow her son to pull on flowerbeds and bushes, throw dirt clods and run out by himself. The outside of my home is community property which is cared for by landscapers that our HOA pays (we pay HOA fees). If something gets damaged then I could get fined. I added a policy immediately after I took this DCM about how if I was fined for ANY behavior by a client, child or representative that the client would be responsible to pay it. THAT stopped that right after I received a fine for the same DCM parking in a No Parking area and she had to pay $50.
Cradle2crayons 04:46 PM 04-10-2014
I had an issue years ago with a family like this.

Unfortunately for them hey signed where it said "any damage caused outside during pick up or drop off is the sole responsibility of the parents" and I made a family pay for he damage the very first time it happened.

No more problems after that.. I point it out during interview lol
ruckey04 06:39 PM 04-10-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
I had an issue years ago with a family like this.

Unfortunately for them hey signed where it said "any damage caused outside during pick up or drop off is the sole responsibility of the parents" and I made a family pay for he damage the very first time it happened.

No more problems after that.. I point it out during interview lol
I have that in my contract as well, if someone damages my property, darn right they're going to pay for it. I work to hard to keep my yard nice to have an inconsiderate child damage it.
cheerfuldom 11:42 AM 04-11-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I would stop telling DCB and tell MOM.

"DCM, I'd appreciate it if you would stop allowing Billy to ruin my landscaping.

He is to be supervised during ALL drop offs and pick ups for this reason."

Maybe, just maybe she would be embarrassed enough to actually control him.

yup. I wouldnt put up a fence. I would insist mom and dad keep control of their kids. I have had multiple issues with kids running into the street and parents playing the please-get-into-the-car-seat game. Something that works every time....blame it on the neighbors! LOL "Stacy, I had a neighbor mention they were concerned as they have seen Olivia running to the car and running in the street at pickup. People are worried she is going to get hit." I dont say which neighbor but this works almost every time. Or I will address the child in front of the parent "Owen, I want you to hold mama's hand all the way to the car so you can be safe. I know your mom wants you to be safe too!" and then offer little Owens hand directly to mom and most of the time, they will get the hint.

After that, I would be more than direct. "Bill, I have to insist that you and Lizzie walk on the sidewalk and that you no longer allow Lizzie to run through the flower bed. I work really hard to keep my yard nice for my family and for my business and I dont want it ruined. Thank you for understanding" and then stand in the doorway and watch them till they get in the car and know that you were watching to make sure they followed the rules.
Tags:garden
Reply Up