Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>For Providers Providing Care In Their Homes, How Much TV Do You Allow During The Day?
Soccermom 05:26 AM 09-05-2013
I normally allow the children to watch some little preschool programs between 7h30 and 8h15 while the SA are getting ready for the bus and everyone is still in sleep mode. My program starts at 8h30 and we play, do activities, preschool work, etc..
I then allow the non nappers to watch about 45 min. of TV during quiet time while the babies are falling asleep. The older SA are also allowed to watch a 30 min. program at 4h30 while waiting for parents to arrive after clean up.
We occasionally watch a movie together as a group for a special treat on a rainy day as well.
I had a mom "talk" to me because she does not allow any television in their home and was concerned when her DD told her I allow TV here. I did not really know how to respond to this mom...she almost made me feel like a crappy mom because I allow my kids to watch a little TV.

I think my program is very educational with loads of physical activity and that the small amount of TV the children watch is not going to affect their development. I only allow age appropriate shows and I find TV can be comforting to children as most have them on full time at home.

Do you have a no TV policy or do you allow some TV in your home daycare?
LK5kids 05:32 AM 09-05-2013
I know lots of providers on this forum have a no tv policy. I am very tv aware...when my kids were preschool age we didn't even have a tv!

I do allow tv viewing for my child care kids. The tv is on 1/2 hour - 7:30-8:00 and while I prepare lunch-11:30-12:00. I really don't want toys back out before lunch and for us it's just a little down time after a busy morning.

The only child who watches @ 7:30 is my one older child. She will be 5 in a few days.

Also, I can't "require" any child to sit and watch.
MCC 05:33 AM 09-05-2013
For the most part, we only watch TV on Wednesdays, as it's "Watch a show Wednesday". We watch preschool prep videos, and they love them.

I do let the parents know during interviews that if I can tell the kids all need some down time, I will put on a show. All mine are under 3, sometimes they need to just sit and chill for 20 minutes, but it only happens about once a week.
MyAngels 05:38 AM 09-05-2013
If you're comfortable with the amount of TV you allow I wouldn't change it. If she was anti TV she should have discussed that with you prior to enrollment. I can't understand these parents that choose a provider but don't cover these subjects and then bring it up later, and make their provider feel inadequate in the process.
Play Care 05:41 AM 09-05-2013
On a daily basis we do not watch television. I am not as anti-television as some, but I find once it's used as a "crutch" it's easy to fall into a habit with it.

That said I have a pajama day on the last day of care before Christmas vacation and we have one holiday themed video. On rare occasions when I only have older preschoolers I may use an educational video to supplement a theme we are working on. In truth I hate "noise" and feel the television just adds more noise to the day.

All that said, I don't think your television viewing sounds like too much or inappropriate viewing. I would let mom know that this is the program and if she's uncomfortable you certainly can understand if she choses to go elsewhere.
WImom 05:42 AM 09-05-2013
We only watch while I make lunch - so about 20-30 min.
originalkat 05:58 AM 09-05-2013
We have Netflix preschool show on from 11-11:30 while I make lunch each day. Occasionally I put on a show in the late afternoon if the kids are pooped from playing outside.
cheerfuldom 06:11 AM 09-05-2013
We dont have a TV in the playroom but I do handle things like you do. When we are upstairs getting ready for school, the TV is on (PBS). Again, on sometimes when I prep lunch and again at the end of the day occasionally for pickups. I would tell me what times you have the TV on and let her know that you feel she should have mentioned this at the parent interview as you were unaware that this was a problem for her. Let her know that you understand if she needs to look for other childcare due to the difference in TV rules between daycare and home (aka, you are not changing anything. either she can deal with it or move on).

dont let them make you feel bad! you have a huge age range of kids and school agers are notoriously hard to manage plus juggling littles ones. This mom could have approached you in a better way other than basically saying "we do this at home and thats what we expect here"
Meeko 06:15 AM 09-05-2013
We don't have cable and can't pick up any stations over the air. We rely on Netflix and videos.

I use TV a little bit during the day to help with transition. I sometimes put something on after we have cleaned up and are waiting for lunch and I may also use it at the end of the day after we have cleaned up. I don't like a free for all when parents are arriving, or toys all over the place that I then have to put away.

I tell parents at interview how I use the TV. They do not have to enroll if they don't like ANY TV at all.

It's YOUR house and YOUR program. The mom can do whatever she likes at HER house....but she cannot dictate your schedule to you. Don't change a thing. She knew at sign-up, she's just trying to be your "boss". She's not.
blandino 06:19 AM 09-05-2013
I tell parents that I limit TV, but do not exclude it.

During the summer, we watch a move a couple times a week after we come in from playing outside.

During the school year, Mondays are movie days and the rest of the week they watch an educational movie (preschool prep, leapfrog, magic while I make lunch.

All TV viewing is planned as part of our schedule as opposed to being on as background while the kids play. I treat it as an activity.
Familycare71 06:22 AM 09-05-2013
I have on my schedule I give out when tv is a possibility but generally I have it on in the am while I'm getting SA out the door, before lunch and sometimes at the end of the day.
That said I have kids who CRY when it gets turned off so I'm pretty sure they get tons at home!!
SilverSabre25 06:33 AM 09-05-2013
I used to have none at ALL. Then my DD quit napping and I started to let her watch a movie during naptime so that I could have downtime. Then a dcb quit napping and joined the movie thing. Then DS came along and TV crept in more especially during the dreaded first tri when I was sick and miserable for awhile.

Now the creep has included it being on for awhile in the AM after kids get here (though I'm slowly dialing that back), and they occasionally get up while DS and DD are in the middle of a show during naptime. But that's it.

On bad days I have no problem putting on a movie or a show, or I will toss on a show when I'm having a particularly difficult time of it for some reason. It serves as a bit of a reset for everyone sometimes.

I did have one family that refused to even interview with me after they found out that we even HAVE a TV...there would have been no pleasing that one. I don't want to work for families that are that militant about ANYthing--I'm too laid back for that.

Honestly my own kids watch WAY too much, but at least it's not commercial filled drivel. We only watch Netflix and most of what they watch is fine and innocuous. Occasionally movies...but I'm saving those for nasty winter weather when we can't go outside.
Moppetland 06:59 AM 09-05-2013
I let the DKs watch PBS programming upon arrival, up to breakfast time.

Then on Fridays, which I call our "Friday Matinee", I show an appropriate movie, which are mostly Disney and Pixar movies right before lunch time.

My parents are aware of this because it's in my PHB and they think the Friday movie thing is cute. Let's be realistic. There are very few parents that I know that does not allow their children to watch TV at all at their homes. When I say a very few, this is like maybe one or two parents. Children who are old enough and have language always tell me what they saw on TV at home, and most of the time, it isn't what I would show the kids. But to each his own. My parents even told me that they let the TV babysit while they catch up with housework, dinner or so forth.

But we are so busy during the day anyway, and TV is not an option for them. They know the routine and the times of when the TV is on. So, I don't feel no kind of way about allowing a little TV in the early morning and letting the kids have a little fun for Friday Matinee. I still provide quality care.
countrymom 07:21 AM 09-05-2013
well my tv is on all day. Do they sit and watch it---nope. I have it on right now on pbs and dcg is playing barbies in another room. I think its a noise factor with kids because my own kids will have it on and not watch it. Is tv bad, nope if its appropriate. We don't watch spongebob or thomas the train (he's so depressing) or anything else that I find dumb. You know what kills me, are parents who don't want thier kids watching tv at daycare but yet the minute they go home they are glued to the tv (I've had kids tell me all sorts of shows they watch, things that I would never allow my own children to watch at a young age)
JenNJ 07:26 AM 09-05-2013
I do the occasional movie, but nothing on a regular basis. In the winter we may do a 30 minute show a day just because the days are so long when its too cold to go outside.
Unregistered 07:33 AM 09-05-2013
In our state regs we are only allowed to have screen time for two hours a day. This includes tv, computors, hand held devices, etc.

On top of that you add our STARS program and now screen time is down to an hour a day and providers aren't allowed any type of screen time. I forget how its worded but I think its going to have to be changed because they mean screen time for anything-phones, electronic books, computors, etc.

We generally only have 15-30 min. a day while I'm making lunch and its netflix on the computor. We don't have a tv in our preschool room so its not tempting to even turn it on. I figure also, kids that go to a center can go with out tv all day.
Blackcat31 07:36 AM 09-05-2013
Originally Posted by Soccermom:
I normally allow the children to watch some little preschool programs between 7h30 and 8h15 while the SA are getting ready for the bus and everyone is still in sleep mode. My program starts at 8h30 and we play, do activities, preschool work, etc..
I then allow the non nappers to watch about 45 min. of TV during quiet time while the babies are falling asleep. The older SA are also allowed to watch a 30 min. program at 4h30 while waiting for parents to arrive after clean up.
We occasionally watch a movie together as a group for a special treat on a rainy day as well.
I had a mom "talk" to me because she does not allow any television in their home and was concerned when her DD told her I allow TV here. I did not really know how to respond to this mom...she almost made me feel like a crappy mom because I allow my kids to watch a little TV.

I think my program is very educational with loads of physical activity and that the small amount of TV the children watch is not going to affect their development. I only allow age appropriate shows and I find TV can be comforting to children as most have them on full time at home.

If mom felt so strongly about her child NOT being exposed to any TV, why didn't she specifically look for a No-TV child care or discuss this with you during the interview?

If you chose to allow TV during the day, that is up to YOU. I would change my policies or routines for anyone and I certainly wouldn't allow a parent to make me feel like a bad parent for the choices I make.

I would make sure you put this back on the parent who is concerned and just keep repeating "My program is run in a manner that fits the needs of ALL children in care as well as the provider. If some of my routines do not work for you, you are welcome to withdraw from care and seek services in an environment that better meets your needs."

It should NEVER be personal. I'm sorry this mom made you feel badly.
Leigh 07:42 AM 09-05-2013
There is proof that "good" shows (like Sesame Street) are actually more beneficial to children than NO TV. As long as TV viewing is smart and limited, there is nothing wrong with it. I'd tell DCM that TV is allowed from X to X, and that it wouldn't be fair to the other kids to miss Sesame Street (or whatever they watch), because they learn so much from it and look forward to it.

I allow TV until 8:30 AM, and then switch the TV to satellite radio. We also will watch a movie on rainy afternoons if we can't go outdoors, and if I am not feeling well, they can watch it all day long (I had a 3 day migraine last week, and a wicked one at that). I put a movie on and sat with them with an ice pack on my head.
Blackcat31 07:45 AM 09-05-2013
Originally Posted by Leigh:
There is proof that "good" shows (like Sesame Street) are actually more beneficial to children than NO TV. As long as TV viewing is smart and limited, there is nothing wrong with it. I'd tell DCM that TV is allowed from X to X, and that it wouldn't be fair to the other kids to miss Sesame Street (or whatever they watch), because they learn so much from it and look forward to it.
I am sure there is "proof" about both sides of the argument but I was always taught that ANY screen time is still considered screen time and not at all beneficial.

It doesn't matter what is on the TV, just the fact that the fast moving pictures, flashes and lights are what is bad for the kids' developing brains.

NOT saying I agree or disagree.....just stating what I was just taught in a class about brain development between the ages of birth to age 5.
Leigh 07:57 AM 09-05-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I am sure there is "proof" about both sides of the argument but I was always taught that ANY screen time is still considered screen time and not at all beneficial.

It doesn't matter what is on the TV, just the fact that the fast moving pictures, flashes and lights are what is bad for the kids' developing brains.

NOT saying I agree or disagree.....just stating what I was just taught in a class about brain development between the ages of birth to age 5.
I have heard the same about brain development (and I don't disagree with that). The recent study I read about addressed social and emotional stability, and concluded that kids who watch shows that are educational and model "good" behaviors are more socially adept and emotionally stable than kids with no TV watching at all or kids who watch shows that don't model good behaviors.
Laurel 09:22 AM 09-05-2013

I do about the same as you. I actually think a little t.v. is good for them. This morning they watched Sesame Street and they were talking about clouds and how they looked liked elephants. I heard them repeating elephants so when we went outside we looked and talked about clouds. Later we glued cotton balls onto blue construction paper.

I can't imagine little ones growing up and not knowing who Ernie and Bert are.

I used to be stricter when I was younger but mellowed out a bit. It is mostly cause I'm not a big t.v. watcher. Now we get Netflix and on weekends I sometimes finding myself watching t.v. series that are really fun and relaxing. I also watch the Hallmark movies that make me feel all loving. I actually came to feel that t.v. was relaxing and a stress reliever.

I still don't watch much and neither do my daycare children. We are mostly busy having fun but we like to chill with t.v. occasionally and I don't feel one bit guilty about it.

I guess the mom will just have to get over it. If it was that important to her she should have let you know at the interview.

Laurel
Sugar Magnolia 09:32 AM 09-05-2013

Maybe my math is off, but that appears to add up to 2 hours per day that your TV is on. IMO, that is too much, especially if these are.

shows with commercials.

I do only 15 minutes of educational DVD at morning and afternoon .snack time, half hour per day.
Personally, I think commercials are terrible for any kid under say.....10 years old.
"I want that......"
"go buy me that......"
"oooo candy, McDonalds, gum, soda.....yummy"
MrsSteinel'sHouse 09:34 AM 09-05-2013
Originally Posted by Laurel:
I gave up on Sesame Street when they started using ain't and poor grammar. SS has changed greatly since I was younger. The "clips" are dramatically shorter. SS has now taken on the PBS social agenda and I just can't do it!

TV- I do not allow TV on a regular basis. I only have preschool age kids. I did allow the kids to watch a clip on Netflix the other day (three little pigs) and all they did for days after was beg for tv. Just reinforced why I don't do screen time.
lovemylife 09:37 AM 09-05-2013
I don't have a no tv policy but we rarely watch any during daycare hours. Once the daycare kids are gone I let my 2 children watch a show. It's our special cuddle time. The only time I allow a tv show during daycare hours is when I am overly stressed and need a little quiet. It happens maybe once a month. I feel guilty turning on the tv because a lot of the time kids go home and sit in front of the tv until the go to bed. Plus I feel I'm not getting paid to have the tv on

When I am preparing food the kids either help me by putting the ingredients in or stiring as long as it isn't hot. If they can't help I will bring out the coloring books and they will color at the table until the food is ready.
Emsdayhome 09:41 AM 09-05-2013
I have a small tv and vcr in my daycare room, with a cupboard full of Disney classics and Caillou. We save the video watching for our "off" days...you know those days, when nothing seems to be going right. I also used it for about 20mins this morning as we have a new dcb who started today (10mnths) and has never met me before this morning when he was being dropped off. Caillou is his fave cartoon....so I put it on for him when he was feeling a little uneasy. Worked like a charm, and I was able to turn it off after one short episode.

My kids watch cartoons in the morning during breakfast while we prep for school. I only have one dck arrive before 8am (and he's the one who started today) but when the kids get on the bus at 8:02 am we start our programmed day so the tv is off. But my dcp know that tv will be used on occasion when I need to get something done , or whatever.
Brooksie 09:44 AM 09-05-2013
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Maybe my math is off, but that appears to add up to 2 hours per day that your TV is on. IMO, that is too much, especially if these are.

shows with commercials.

I do only 15 minutes of educational DVD at morning and afternoon .snack time, half hour per day.
Personally, I think commercials are terrible for any kid under say.....10 years old.
"I want that......"
"go buy me that......"
I don't allow my daughter to watch anything with commercials. after hours at my house it used to just be dvds and Nick Jr but now Nick Jr is throwing commercials in there which really irks me. That is her down time though and I try to distract her in between her "shows" (she maybe watches 2 shows and evening or one movie (tangled or something).

During daycare hours, whoever arrives first generally finishes up what ever dd is watching (10 min or so) and then tv is off. It used to be that I wouldn't allow tv at all but now that I have more dcks I put the tv on for maybe 20 while I get lunch ready and its usually Wee Sing- Old king Cole or Sillyville. Friday is our day "off" where I can plan for the next week and we have a movie day with a Disney classic or something again, like Wee Sing.

Any one have a suggestion for other educational/appropriate dvds to play? I'm getting VERY tired of Old King Cole!!
Emsdayhome 09:47 AM 09-05-2013
Originally Posted by Brooksie:
I don't allow my daughter to watch anything with commercials. after hours at my house it used to just be dvds and Nick Jr but now Nick Jr is throwing commercials in there which really irks me. That is her down time though and I try to distract her in between her "shows" (she maybe watches 2 shows and evening or one movie (tangled or something).

During daycare hours, whoever arrives first generally finishes up what ever dd is watching (10 min or so) and then tv is off. It used to be that I wouldn't allow tv at all but now that I have more dcks I put the tv on for maybe 20 while I get lunch ready and its usually Wee Sing- Old king Cole or Sillyville. Friday is our day "off" where I can plan for the next week and we have a movie day with a Disney classic or something again, like Wee Sing.

Any one have a suggestion for other educational/appropriate dvds to play? I'm getting VERY tired of Old King Cole!!
I have Scholastic books on dvd, the kids LOVE them and it's essentially glorified story time. I use those for my older guys (my own children) When I need them to sit and chill and listen to something for a few minutes.
Leigh 09:49 AM 09-05-2013

My kids of all ages enjoy the Baby Genius DVD's and CD's. KidSongs were very good, too, but I haven't seen them around for years.
Play Care 10:02 AM 09-05-2013
If we do a video I use the on demand feature that comes with my cable. Most of the shows have no commercials or if they have one it's for paper towels or diapers - not terribly exciting

While I agree two hours can seem excessive, it really depends on the hours the child is in care. The OP might have kids in the AM but not in the PM, or the majority of young kids are napping and not watching during QT, so the child's actual viewing time might only be 20 minutes in a 10+ hour day care day not a full two hours.
spinnymarie 10:12 AM 09-05-2013
We turn on a movie/show while kids are waking up from naps. My son is always first up by himself and he may watch 30 - 45 minutes while the other kids are still asleep. Generally once they are mostly up we shut it off bc they are ready to play.
Honestly I'm not that opposed to tv for my own kids - including commercials. I think kids need to be taught how to respond to advertising, so they don't bother me. We talk about how we don't NEED things that we may see on tv, or in magazines, or that other kids have, and when we see something we think we want, we should see if we still want it at our birthday when we get something new.
daycarediva 10:25 AM 09-05-2013
During a holiday time (the day before Christmas break, for instance) we schedule a special day, watch a prescreened movie and wear pj's and have a treat. In the last YEAR we have watched; Polar Express, It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown, Charlie Brown's Thanksgiving, and we watched a Sesame Street Valentines Special.

No other tv is available. I have to move a screen upstairs to make that ^ happen. We do books on CD or dance cd's for down time and lunch prep. There is NEVER mindless screen viewing, no cable is available, etc.

Daily isn't a 'treat' imho, it's an expectation and TRUST ME, I have a dck who cries for his Ipad at drop off, they get PLENTY of screen time at home and watch SUPER inappropriate things.
Blackcat31 10:28 AM 09-05-2013

I used to make video slide shows using photos of the daycare kids. Sometimes I include video clips of them.

They would literally watch for hours if I play one of those DVD's.

It can help with face recognition and was good for social-emotional growth to see their friends on the big screen.
snbauser 10:29 AM 09-05-2013
None at all here. I know most of these kids get more than enough during their short times at home. I can tell by the way they play, the songs they sing, and by some of the conversations we have. Here we are limited to 2 1/2 hrs/week for children over the age of 2 and prohibited from using it at all for those under 2 years old. Those are licensing rules and not FCCERS rules which are more strict. It's just not worth it to even start for what is essentially 30 min per day allowed.
MsLaura529 10:31 AM 09-05-2013
I don't have a TV in my daycare area, but occasionally (once a week) will put a show on the lap top while I make lunch. I try to save it for rainy days when we can't be outside as much, or days when the fighting and whining is just too much I didn't have to use it at all this week so far. And when I do put on a show, it's something that I try to keep related to whatever theme we are talking about. For example: We've been talking about farms, so last week they watched a Little Einsteins episode the 3 Little Pigs. Or when we were doing camping, they watched a Bubble Guppies episode about camping.

I really love Little Einsteins because there's a lot of participation from the kids (clapping and singing) and the music throughout the show is classical type music.
melilley 10:40 AM 09-05-2013
I allow the kids to watch tv while I prepare lunch. They watch shows on PBS, which is a preschool learning channel here and I see nothing wrong with it. Plus it's a choice. They can go play, help me with lunch if they want or watch the show.
I wouldn't let what the parent said bother you. It's your program and if she doesn't agree, then she doesn't have to send her child to you.

A little story: I have a dcp who always makes comments about anything that she learned about in school (she just received her teaching degree in special education and knows everything) and just has to tell me about this and that, blah, blah, blah. I don't think she has any of her own opinions, just what "experts" have told her. Anyways, the subject of tv came up. She tells me that her family is not "that" family, and that the kids don't watch tv, but her and her husband do. Well, here and there she has made a comment like "dcb, we can go home and watch a show", then she has to justify it by telling me that they have a playroom with a couch (and obviously a tv) and dcb is big enough to watch a show while she rests because she needs it. So I know they do watch it at home no matter how many times she tells me they are not "that" family. Plus the 3 year old tells me stuff about characters and stuff about the shows he sees (that we don't watch here).

I think some parents actually don't allow tv, but I also think some say they don't just to make it seem like they are doing something great.
Laurel 10:50 AM 09-05-2013
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
I gave up on Sesame Street when they started using ain't and poor grammar. SS has changed greatly since I was younger. The "clips" are dramatically shorter. SS has now taken on the PBS social agenda and I just can't do it!

TV- I do not allow TV on a regular basis. I only have preschool age kids. I did allow the kids to watch a clip on Netflix the other day (three little pigs) and all they did for days after was beg for tv. Just reinforced why I don't do screen time.
I didn't know that! I use Netflix and we are watching old ones. I'll have to check out some new ones so I know what you are talking about.

Can you give me some examples of what you mean by social agenda? I'm not sure what you are referring to.

Thanks, Laurel
Crazy8 10:56 AM 09-05-2013
none. I am not anti-tv or anything, my own kids probably watch more than they should, but there is no tv in my daycare area and I don't find we need it.
Jack Sprat 10:56 AM 09-05-2013
This summer when we had "bigs" (school age who don't rest or nap) we watched a movie during rest time. This was WAY too much. The "bigs" were tired, I was tired and reading and quiet activities were not cutting it at this point. So for a week they had 90 minutes while the "littles" napped. Next summer/break we are doing yoga and they are going to read and earn "points" for each book they read and tell me about..

Now, with just littles again we are back to no TV We have on Pandora ALL day either Raffi station or Classical for nap. We have speakers so we can hear it through the whole house. We do have times where we look at Storia (Scholastic books) or we google an animal we are talking about and look at pictures of them. But, other then that we are no TV. I just haven't found a need for TV in my daycare.

Our own children are not allowed TV during the week. The weekend they are limited to 90 minutes. They can save all 90 for a movie or they can divide it up amongst the three days (Fri, Sat, and Sun). This also includes screen time in general. We just believe that there other things they could be doing with their time. We don't think we are better then others. We just don't believe in watching TV.
Play Care 11:02 AM 09-05-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
A little story: I have a dcp who always makes comments about anything that she learned about in school (she just received her teaching degree in special education and knows everything) and just has to tell me about this and that, blah, blah, blah. I don't think she has any of her own opinions, just what "experts" have told her. Anyways, the subject of tv came up. She tells me that her family is not "that" family, and that the kids don't watch tv, but her and her husband do. Well, here and there she has made a comment like "dcb, we can go home and watch a show", then she has to justify it by telling me that they have a playroom with a couch (and obviously a tv) and dcb is big enough to watch a show while she rests because she needs it. So I know they do watch it at home no matter how many times she tells me they are not "that" family. Plus the 3 year old tells me stuff about characters and stuff about the shows he sees (that we don't watch here).

I think some parents actually don't allow tv, but I also think some say they don't just to make it seem like they are doing something great.
I was actually going to mention that. Whenever I have a parent come out and say they don't allow tv, I believe they usually mean they WISH they didn't allow tv. By and large the kids I've had from those families were the WORST about begging for tv and being shocked that I didn't turn it on. These were usually the kids who would ask the time and then say "oh, it's 11:00, were missing Diego"
caregiver 11:09 AM 09-05-2013
I also don't allow the kids to watch too much t.v. here, although I have a daycare parent of one of my dcg that when she started with me the mom asked me to allow her to watch t.v. for about an hour in the morning after she gets here as the Mom had just gone back to work and when she was home with her daughter, they would watch this certain t.v program together and the Mom wanted me to keep the routine going for her daughter. I said okay if that was what she wanted and would help with the transition from home to my home daycare. It has been 5 months now and I asked Mom about how long to do this and she said that it is fine to continue. I told my other parents and they seemed okay with it as long as it was only 1 hour. I do have the t.v. on other times of the day, but not for the t.v part, but we have cable and cable has a few stations that play music and they have a station called toddler tunes. I will put that on for a little bit and they love to listen and we dance to the music.
I will also use my ipad as a teaching tool also. I know it is still a screen like a t.v. but I have found so many free educational apps on it for kids and fun apps that the kids really do learn from. Does anyone else use their ipad for this? There is lots of apps of kids songs that they love to sing along with and learn the songs. I have a app that is a piano keyboard that lets the kids play and make up their own songs and it really sounds like a real piano,then their is match games, shape games, counting games, the abc song and has the abc's on there so they can learn their abc's. Apps where they have all about animals,birds and bugs and they can learn all about those. There are a ton of free educational apps and it makes it fun for the kids to learn while having fun suing my ipad. It is more of a hands on learning experience for them instead of reading to them about all of these things as they have to use their minds to pick the right answers as if they don't the programs will let them know if they are right or wrong and they do learn from that.
My3cents 11:14 AM 09-05-2013

I don't know if I agree with this either- Tons of educational programing out there. I think balance is key- I don't use TV much at all, to the point of it not being an everyday thing.
My3cents 11:21 AM 09-05-2013
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:

shows with commercials.

"I want that......"
"go buy me that......"
I don't even know if it is the above so much that gets to me as much as the "scary" stuff that I don't even want to see. Preview of other shows that are not that great. I love PBS but agree about the Thomas the Train being depressing and other shows there is a lot of sarcasm. Sesame Street- come on that is good stuff for kids. I don't do regular TV for my daycare kiddo's but me personally- tee hee I am addicted to Bravo after daycare hours and I don't have little kids at that time.
sharlan 11:21 AM 09-05-2013
WAY TOO MUCH!

I would love to have the tv off all day.

My dh cannot live without the tv on. He turns it on the second he comes downstairs. If he leaves and I turn the tv off, he will turn it on the second he walks through the door. The tv is about the only thing we ever fight about and it's a daily occurrence.

Mostly, he will have it on the Disney channel or CN.

One of my main issues with the tv is he has it loud. The kids get loud, he turns the tv up louder, the kids get louder, and on it goes all day.

I should add, that just because the tv is on, it doesn't mean the kids are watching it. They spend most of their time in the other rooms playing.
Angelsj 11:38 AM 09-05-2013
Originally Posted by Laurel:

It really isn't tragic. My children have NEVER had network TV, except for a 6 month time when we first moved into this house and no one really watched it.

They have never seen Sesame street, and have no idea who those people are. They are still pretty well rounded kids.
That said, we do have Netflix, so they are not totally TV deprived.
As to the original question, my non nappers watch about 1 hour of TV during "rest break." This is something like Magic School bus, Dragon Tales, Dora (though Dora is not streaming right now...sigh), Barney, OSO..etc.
Angelsj 11:43 AM 09-05-2013
I used to make video slide shows using photos of the daycare kids. Sometimes I include video clips of them.

They would literally watch for hours if I play one of those DVD's.

It can help with face recognition and was good for social-emotional growth to see their friends on the big screen.
I make these every year for the parents' Christmas gifts. You are correct. The kids could watch these for HOURS if we let them. They LOVE seeing themselves and their friends from over the past year or so.
e.j. 11:43 AM 09-05-2013
I don't generally turn the tv on during day care hours. It depends on the kids I have enrolled, though. I will let older kids who have outgrown their naps watch educational tv once the younger kids fall asleep.
Blackcat31 11:44 AM 09-05-2013
Originally Posted by My3cents:
I don't know if I agree with this either- Tons of educational programing out there. I think balance is key- I don't use TV much at all, to the point of it not being an everyday thing.
There are NO guidelines as to what is considered "educational" or not in the TV and movie industry. A TV show that has 50 minutes of aggressive, violence can be labeled as "educational" as long as 10 minutes of the show has some form of academics in it.

I also feel that TV (even educational) takes time away from how kids under 5 REALLY learn.

Just like other forms of television, educational television forces your child to sit passively rather than play outside, interact with family members, engage in trial and error, or experiment with how to play with toys. If your child is watching lots of television each day, it doesn't matter if this television is "educational" or not- it's taking away from normal activities

This Is Not How Children Learn:
We send kids to school at six or seven for a reason- that's when they're ready for it. Very young children learn through direct engagement, through trial and error, and through being exposed to a wide variety of environments and skills. They do not learn by sitting and being taught.

The Importance of Social Skills and Personality Development:
Television, even educational television, is one sided. The television talks and your child listens. Children develop their talents and their personalities through interactions with others, and through watching real interactions, not via television tutorials or watching interactions on tv. Children who are exposed to too much television from an early age tend to be less socially adept, less empathetic, and less primed to learn from their environment.

http://voices.yahoo.com/why-not-let-...36.html?cat=25

I also think having the TV on in the background all day is FAR more detrimental than just watching it. There have been studies that show that kids who had the TV on all day as background noise suffer from ADD/ADHD more than children who did not have background TV.

I am NOT anti-TV...I watch a ton myself....but I do feel that what TV the daycare children do watch should be up to the parents and done on their time. I personally just don't feel as though it should be part of their daycare day.
Angelsj 11:51 AM 09-05-2013
I don't disagree with you at all. However, I need that hour for my own sanity. Since I don't push naps and take non nappers, I just need an hour for a cup of coffee and a break. I know, as providers we really are not supposed to admit WE need a minute here and there, but I admit it...proudly!
Blackcat31 11:53 AM 09-05-2013
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
I don't disagree with you at all. However, I need that hour for my own sanity. Since I don't push naps and take non nappers, I just need an hour for a cup of coffee and a break. I know, as providers we really are not supposed to admit WE need a minute here and there, but I admit it...proudly!
...yeah, but you also don't work within a set time frame of hours. You offer care ANYtime someone needs it correct?
Sunchimes 01:31 PM 09-05-2013
We don't have tv in the daycare room and don't have cable or netflix. So it has never become part of our day. However, we do have screen time. Oldest dcg just turned 3. While baby has his morning nap, we do our "school work" then she can watch youtube or play educational games either on the laptop or on my tablet. I switch up depending on our day.

I don't see any problem with a few cartoons, but I am crazy about Little Einsteins and Doc McStuffins. Honestly, she has learned so much from that. We were playing the other day, and she wanted to go faster, so she ran around saying "Allegro, allegro." She asked for money the other day and I told her she had to tell me what she was going to buy first. She said she was buying a violin, a piano, a trumpet, and a clarinet. I can promise I had no idea what those things were when I was 3.

That said, the 19 month old has never had screen time here, more than a few minutes all together in the 1 1/2 years I've had him. He is in Early Intervention and his sensory/speech therapist asked that he have no screen time of any type until he was 2, for the reasons Blackcat mentioned. It didn't seem to hurt his sister at all (she got some screen time here but lots and lots at home-she was fluent with the ipad before she was 2). She is really, really smart. But, she's a different kid. I think it doesn't bother some, it is detrimental to others, and you don't know which is which until it's too late.

Dcg has become interested in movies and princesses, so I'll probably do some of those this winter if I can find any cheap ones. Or maybe I'll download some on my Nexus tablet for her.
caregiver 04:00 PM 09-05-2013
I just love the ipad or tablets to use as a teaching tool. Most of the app's have where the child has to touch the right answer, if they are right it will tell them good job, if not it will tell them wrong answer, try again I am finding that they actually respond better to these apps then if I work with them on learning the same things or sitting down and reading a story to them. The ipad seems to make it more fun for them to learn and seems to keep their attention longer. It seems to be more of a challenge for them to learn. My daycare parents have now said that they think they will one to use at home and have said that it is really a nice thing to have to teach the kids.
They don't even want to watch t.v even if I would let them. The ipad or tablet is more fun for them to work with. So if some of you have a tablet or ipad, just maybe give it a try sometime and see how your daycare kids react to it.
Angelsj 04:10 PM 09-05-2013
...yeah, but you also don't work within a set time frame of hours. You offer care ANYtime someone needs it correct?
Yes, I do. I do limit things to make it work for me. In other words, I don't have parents who pick up at 11pm AND parents dropping at 4:30 am at the same time, but essentially, yes, I take kids most hours of the day, including overnighters when needed.
Sunchimes 05:29 PM 09-05-2013
My daycare girl has been using my tablet for almost a year now, since right after she turned 2. I have a couple of suggestions. I bought something called Iballz for my tablet. They are sort of like ping pong balls that fit over the corner of the tablet (Ipad, Ipad mini, and Nexus 7, maybe others). www.iballz.net If the tablet is dropped, the balls keep the tablet screen from hitting the floor. The only real hazard is if it landed on a toy or something in the center of the screen, or maybe if someone kneeled on it.. In my house, I have very strict rules (only use it sitting, no carrying it or walking with it). After almost a year, I haven't had a bit of trouble. But, just in case, I have a Square Trade Warranty with drop protection. Didn't cost much, and it is very good protection. I had to use it once for my laptop. I took it to a local shop, got it fixed, and they reimbursed me promptly. This way, I don't have to worry.

My dcg can do anything with a touch screen, but she can't master a mouse. We've worked and worked, but she just doesn't seem to be able to control the mouse enough to do anything. She loves abcmouse.com, but she has to point to what she wants and I do the mouse. Otherwise she gets too frustrated. I wish they had an android version.
mamac 06:01 PM 09-05-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
well my tv is on all day. Do they sit and watch it---nope. I have it on right now on pbs and dcg is playing barbies in another room. I think its a noise factor with kids because my own kids will have it on and not watch it. Is tv bad, nope if its appropriate. We don't watch spongebob or thomas the train (he's so depressing) or anything else that I find dumb. You know what kills me, are parents who don't want thier kids watching tv at daycare but yet the minute they go home they are glued to the tv (I've had kids tell me all sorts of shows they watch, things that I would never allow my own children to watch at a young age)
I'm guessing the reason they don't want their kids to watch tv during daycare is so they don't have to feel as guilty for letting them watch when they get home. I bet a lot of these parents are the ones who want to leave their kids at "the babysitter" so they can "get things done" without their kids around. The tv at home is their second babysitter.
Lyss 06:07 PM 09-05-2013
I used to let the kids watch 15 to 20 mins when I made lunch but I don't anymore. I wish I had some great research based reason but in reality I just hate kids programing

On a side note years ago there was a family that pulled from a center I was working at because the prek class had a "movie day" and watched a sesame street movie (follow that bird). They felt sesame street promoted gay marriage (Bert and Ernie), hoarding (Oscar), aggression (again Oscar), and obesity (Cookie monster) and that the center was promoting those values by showing it. Personally I think thats reading a bit much into it but to each their own I guess.
MotherNature 06:14 PM 09-05-2013
We don't watch it daily, but about 3 days a week for half an hour- an hour a day when I'm getting meals ready usually..
kitykids3 06:22 PM 09-05-2013
I don't have a tv downstairs in my daycare. On occasion, maybe once every 2-4 weeks, I'll let them watch a half hour educational show on my laptop. In the winter it might be once a week. I think that most of them get more than enough tv at home. If they want to chill, they don't need tv. They can sit with a book.
harperluu 06:22 PM 09-05-2013
I am not anti-tv, but the children in my care rarely watch TV here. For the 1/2 hr in the morning before breakfast as children are arriving they can choose books or another quiet activity like drawing or puzzles at the table. I make regular trips to the library so there is always lots of new materials. I try to choose books that I know will interest each particular child with lots of non-fiction thrown in.

We go outside right before lunch prep, and I find the kids need some down time when we come in. I have bins of manipulatives they can work on at the table, or choose books. Our school district requires 20 min of reading a day starting in pre-k so this gets them ready for that expectation.

I have a dcg that's 4.5 that started here in June. Her mom commented on how tired she was at the end of the day once she started coming to me. She mentioned that her previous provider frequently had the tv on and she thinks this arrangement of no tv is wearing dcg out. Haha!

Although I understand when providers use tv as part of their program, I know these kids go home and often watch tv. I'm just trying to promote good relationships with books and encourage the kids to find something else to do during times when they need downtime.
jenn 06:30 PM 09-05-2013
I will admit that one day when I was not feeling well, the TV was on all day. I didn't force them to sit and watch it, they could play with toys or watch. I had called all the parents and told them that I was not feeling well, but they could still bring their child if they wanted. They knew that it was going to be a relaxed, movie watching, play day. Sometimes you just have to do what you can manage.
wonderfullisa 06:24 AM 09-06-2013
We save the occasional kid movie for 'off' days. Sometimes it's the children who are off, sometimes it's me. We never watch traditional TV. I have an antenna hooked up, but only for the Olympics.

Usually a couple of times a week, I put the tv on youtube and go to the channel KidsTV123. I love his music. We dance along to Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes, practice the motions to The Itsy Bitsy Spider (although it's the Incy Wincy Spider, because he's British, lol).

Curious.. I think it was BlackCat who mentioned background TV being detrimental. Does anyone know if this applies to background music? I usually have Pandora on in the background.
nanglgrl 06:43 AM 09-06-2013
Originally Posted by Lisa's Little Lambs:
We save the occasional kid movie for 'off' days. Sometimes it's the children who are off, sometimes it's me. We never watch traditional TV. I have an antenna hooked up, but only for the Olympics.

Usually a couple of times a week, I put the tv on youtube and go to the channel KidsTV123. I love his music. We dance along to Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes, practice the motions to The Itsy Bitsy Spider (although it's the Incy Wincy Spider, because he's British, lol).

Curious.. I think it was BlackCat who mentioned background TV being detrimental. Does anyone know if this applies to background music? I usually have Pandora on in the background.
I was surprised to find out that yes, background music is detrimental. I don't know why I just know that points are taken off if you have music on all of the time using FCCERS.
We rarely watch television but used to have music on all of the time, now I limit it.
Play Care 07:51 AM 09-06-2013
Originally Posted by Lisa's Little Lambs:

I was also surprised to find it applies to music as well. Like another poster mentioned it can get points taken off if you are playing it all the time. I never have anything (radio, Pandora, etc.) on all the time, but we used to do a lot more music.
MsLaura529 10:30 AM 09-06-2013
That's weird about the music ... I always thought it was supposed to be more beneficial to have music on in the background. Is there a certain time amount that is acceptable?
melilley 10:35 AM 09-06-2013
Originally Posted by sharlan:
WAY TOO MUCH!

I would love to have the tv off all day.

My dh cannot live without the tv on. He turns it on the second he comes downstairs. If he leaves and I turn the tv off, he will turn it on the second he walks through the door. The tv is about the only thing we ever fight about and it's a daily occurrence.

Mostly, he will have it on the Disney channel or CN.

One of my main issues with the tv is he has it loud. The kids get loud, he turns the tv up louder, the kids get louder, and on it goes all day.

I should add, that just because the tv is on, it doesn't mean the kids are watching it. They spend most of their time in the other rooms playing.
My husband does the same exact thing! It drives me nuts!!!
fatherof3 07:42 PM 07-25-2014
One thing you may want to take into consideration when talking to providers who provide care in their homes is how much kids are exposed to "background TV."

May be kids are not watching it, but a new study shows background TV hurts children. Here is how, shows the study of University of Iowa researchers.

http://www.emaxhealth.com/11402/back...-can-hurt-kids

Originally Posted by :
Background television should be turned off when a child is in the room
It was observed that there is a complex pattern of associations between cumulative risk, parenting, and media exposure with executive functioning during the period of early childhood. The research findings have supported the recommendation of the American Academy of Pediatrics that background television should be turned off when a child is in the room. It has also been suggested that it may be beneficial to have exposure of kids to high-quality content across multiple media platforms.

sahm1225 07:53 PM 07-25-2014
Originally Posted by MsLaura529:
That's weird about the music ... I always thought it was supposed to be more beneficial to have music on in the background. Is there a certain time amount that is acceptable?
I'm missing something here - why is music in the background bad? We have it on almost the whole day (kids lullabies during naps, dancing music for exercise, etc)
Tags:television
Reply Up