Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Long But Worth It!
Brustkt 03:52 PM 09-13-2013
Written by a Pre-School Teacher – It says it all!

What should a 4 year old know?

I was on a parenting bulletin board recently and read a post by a mother who was worried that her 4 1/2 year old did not know enough. "What should a 4 year old know?" she asked.

Most of the answers left me not only saddened but pretty soundly annoyed. One mom posted a laundry list of all of the things her son knew. Counting to 100, planets, how to write his first and last name, and on and on. Others chimed in with how much more their children already knew, some who were only 3. A few posted URL's to lists of what each age should know. The fewest yet said that each child develops at his own pace and not to worry.

It bothered me greatly to see these mothers responding to a worried mom by adding to her concern, with lists of all the things their children could do that hers couldn't. We are such a competitive culture that even our preschoolers have become trophies and bragging rights. Childhood shouldn't be a race.

So here, I offer my list of what a 4 year old should know.

But more important, here's what parents need to know.
They need fathers who sit and listen to their days, mothers who join in and make crafts with them, parents who take the time to read them stories and act like idiots with them. They need us to take walks with them and not mind the .1 MPH pace of a toddler on a spring night. They deserve to help us make supper even though it takes twice as long and makes it twice as much work. They deserve to know that they're a priority for us and that we truly love to be with them.

And now back to those 4 year old skills lists.....

I know it's human nature to want to know how our children compare to others and to want to make sure we're doing all we can for them. Here is a list of what children are typically taught or should know by the end of each year of school, starting with preschool:
http://www.worldbook.com/wb/Students?curriculum

Since we homeschool, I occasionally print out the lists and check to see if there's anything glaringly absent in what my kids know. So far there hasn't been, but I get ideas sometimes for subjects to think up games about or books to check out from the library. Whether you homeschool or not, the lists can be useful to see what kids typically learn each year and can be reassuring that they really are doing fine.

If there are areas where it seems your child is lacking, realize that it's not an indication of failure for either you or your child. You just haven't happened to cover that. Kids will learn whatever they're exposed to, and the idea that they all need to know these 15 things at this precise age is rather silly. Still, if you want him to have those subjects covered then just work it into life and play with the subject and he'll naturally pick it up. Count to 60 when you're mixing a cake and he'll pick up his numbers. Get fun books from the library about space or the alphabet. Experiment with everything from backyard snow to celery stalks in food coloring. It'll all happen naturally, with much more fun and much less pressure.

My favorite advice about preschoolers is on this site though:
http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/early.htm

What does a 4 year old need?

Much less than we realize, and much more.

Original article can be found here http://www.magicalchildhood.com/articles/4yo.htm
Unregistered 04:51 PM 09-13-2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share, this is the real truth!
Familycare71 06:20 PM 09-13-2013
So great!!
Jack Sprat 06:23 PM 09-13-2013
Love it! 100% truth!
Jack Sprat 06:28 PM 09-13-2013
Is there a link to this? I would love to post this on my website.
Brustkt 07:24 PM 09-13-2013
Originally Posted by Lil Monkey:
Is there a link to this? I would love to post this on my website.
No link...sorry! It was posted on a friends Facebook page and I just had to copy and paste!
Jack Sprat 08:22 PM 09-13-2013
Okay! Thank you! I am going to copy and paste!
Sunshine74 10:05 PM 09-13-2013
I love this!
Michael 11:50 PM 09-13-2013
Nice read. Children are like flowers. the more we shower them with praise, sing and care for them the more beautiful they grow.
crunchymama 05:56 AM 09-14-2013
http://magicalchildhood.wordpress.co...year-old-know/
Brustkt 11:13 AM 09-14-2013
Thank you!!!
melilley 11:15 AM 09-15-2013
Great! I had this on my FB too!
Tags:daycare experiences, positive experience
Reply Up