Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Getting Discouraged At Lack Of Calls....
Crazy8 06:11 AM 11-11-2013
I don't know what to do anymore... I have been running my daycare for over 12 years so I'm no stranger to advertising and/or losing kids and filling spots. Its always been a little difficult in my area, we have a lot of SAHM's but I've usually managed to get my 5 spots filled, sometimes only 4 but that's ok too. It was tough all summer, didn't get nearly the calls I usually get for Sept. spots. I was sort of "forced" into keeping some of the kids I was thinking of terming and took a baby a few months earlier than I would have liked to. Thought I was all set till at least next June, knew I'd have 3 leaving for preschool after next summer. Then got blindsided by 2 of those kids leaving now - after they told me they were going to wait till next year for preschool (they are only 2.5yo). I have been trying to fill the spots with no luck. Not even a single inquiry! Never had luck with CL before but tried it again with some photos, etc. and still not a single email. I don't have an infant opening and that seems to be the only thing people want. I tried our local moms fb groups - just to get my fb page out there and didn't get a single new "like" or anything. I don't know what else to do at this point. This is such a horrible time of year for this - just catching up after my lower income summer, and now have the holidays and all kinds of other issues that need to be taken care of. Feeling really beaten.
Blackcat31 06:35 AM 11-11-2013
Aw, I'm sorry Crazy8. I wish I had some advice or magic potion to send kids your way.

I am sure it is nothing you are or aren't doing....I'm sure it is just the market right now. Seems so many people are trying to find ways to cut costs and child care is one of the first places they look to. They use family members or friends for free or just figure out work schedules that make needing regular care a necessity.

Do you take SA'ers at all? I really really really am not fond of that age, but I do think if it came down to it, I'd consider taking them....maybe doing some sort of after school club/camp type thing.

What about hiring a helper or assistant so you could take more infants...I don't know how that works as far as ratios in your area but since infant care is in high demand and you can charge a premium for them, it may be something to consider if you can.

Otherwise, I have nothing. I'm sorry.

I hope this slump passes quickly for you!
melilley 11:24 AM 11-11-2013
It's the same here! I have one part time and one full time opening and have had an ad out on CL for almost 3 months now. I have had a ton of calls, but they all are for younger kids. (I can only take 30 months and up right now). I did have one interview, but that didn't pan out. When I opened in Jan of this year, it only took me 2 months-if that to fill spots.

I've also noticed others on this forum that have said the same thing. Hopefully it will pick up soon for all of us!
Childminder 11:50 AM 11-11-2013
In the same boat. I've tried CL, card on Halloween, books to local dentist and doctors with my info, flyers at local businesses, hospitals and college, I am the only one in my area that has participated at State star rating, Care.com, etc... and I am not getting calls.

I recently did a check of local home daycares and in my zipcode there were 17 a year ago an now there are 9. Centers around here have signs out that they are enrolling and I have never seen that in November, ever, they are usually full in September.

Where are the kids? My licensing rep said she has never seen this before. I have been watching children 48 years and have had lows before but never like this.
TwinKristi 01:46 PM 11-11-2013
Same here... I went from full to practically empty in 3 mos. I was just looking at a piece of paper I had with my weeks written down and what days I would potentially over my limit! HA! Now I can't even get close to my limit let alone above it. I have been advertising on CL since August when I was thinking of terming one family, then another one gave notice, then another one gave notice and then ANOTHER ONE gave notice! One was only 2 days a week and not the biggest deal in the world to lose, but it worked well because another boy comes the 3 days he was in preschool. Now he goes 5 days a week. The other 2 were FT infants, one is going to Jr Preschool at 23mos and one's mom quit her job and stayed home. I got all sorts of calls in Aug. when I took on another infant that completely filled me up 3 days a week so I turned away 2-3 people. I've gotten maybe 2 emails total in those 3 mos? And I've gotten 3 calls from the R&R list, but I called one back and she never called me back. One found DC closer to their home rather than closer to work, which I would have been. And another one never called back. Seriously, come Jan if I don't get more kids I will have ONE daycare kid under 10. ONE!!!
Crazy8 10:45 AM 11-12-2013
sorry you guys are in the same boat. Don't know if its the economy or what, no one around me seems to be hurting for money - hence the SAHM's. When my own kids are in sports and they want to make practices at 4:30 it seems I am the only one who has a job and can't do it - so many dads (coaches) seem to have flexible jobs and work from home sometimes and the moms are all SAHM's who don't work - and these are of school age kids, not even the little ones. Just seems no one needs daycare anymore. Small centers close down all the time, only the big chain ones make it and none of them are full anymore.

I am really afraid its going to domino, because 2 of my older ones are leaving that only leaves 1 their age here - afraid that one will leave because there are no kids her age. I have a pt'er who is a SAHM who may pull as well if her son isn't getting the "interaction" she signed him up for in the first place.

I hate SA but I would take them if I'd make any money doing it - but it really wouldn't be worth it since they have to count in my 5 kids total and our PAL program is dirt cheap and buses them from the school. We have 8 elementary schools in our town, so I'd only be able to take the ones that bus to my 1 school. I have one boy 2 mornings a week - its a whopping $10/wk. income.

I just don't know what else to do.... for the first time in years I am seriously considering closing up and getting a "real" job.
TwinKristi 10:50 AM 11-12-2013
I have taken SA kids and while it's not what I prefer, it's money. It's also my DS's best friend so that helps. But I would prefer to have infants and toddlers than SA. At this point beggars can't be choosers! LOL
SSWonders 11:28 AM 11-12-2013
Things are hard here too. After having a waiting list forever, and operating as a large family day care with an assistant, I only have four children now. Two of them are turning three and most likely will go to pre-K next fall. I also have adds on CL and Care.com, for more than six months now, and nothing. Zip, zilch, nada. I had an interview yesterday from a neighbor of one of my current families for an infant but would have to extend my closing time. I am willing to do that for the income. I don't have a young family to care for at the end of the day, my children are 22 and 24, so it wouldn't be a big deal to do that. However, they are also looking at having a family member care for the baby. I am sure that would be a "cheaper" option for them. We just can't make it without my income. Wish we could. The lack of business out there seriously stresses me out.
Annalee 11:36 AM 11-12-2013
The same thing is happening here as well. Income eligible/voluntary Pre-k has had a major impact on FCC providers. Also, there is high demand for infant care, but license restrictions limit FCC to only 4 children under the age of 24 months in the 12/2 ratio. The past few years, I have been blessed with siblings being born which has kept myself afloat. Hopefully, it will get better soon!
Michelle 01:43 PM 11-12-2013
Awe, I am so sorry to hear that you are still having a hard time.
Are you listed with daycarebear.com,pennysaverusa,daycarematch,and maybe even your local yellow pages?
I think someone on here mentioned the yellow pages and they got calls constantly!
Do you have a website?
I know you are doing everything you can and I am praying that more calls come your way.
big hugs

blessed mom 01:51 PM 11-12-2013
Originally Posted by Michelle:
Awe, I am so sorry to hear that you are still having a hard time.
Are you listed with daycarebear.com,pennysaverusa,daycarematch,and maybe even your local yellow pages?
I think someone on here mentioned the yellow pages and they got calls constantly!
Do you have a website?
I know you are doing everything you can and I am praying that more calls come your way.
big hugs
My website has helped me so much! Hang in there...hope it picks up soon!
providerandmomof4 05:13 PM 11-12-2013
I feel the same way. My enrollments dropped way off in the summer, which was fine with me at the time, but it hasn't picked back up. I have three full time, not including my granddaughter. Have had a few calls and then my "one day" family. Ugh! It has just been really hard....and I extended my hours to accomodate my recent family and have to stay open until 6:30! I have never worked past 5:30 in the past....I am just really considering other options right now. Some days I have an early drop off at 6:30am and then my last pick up is 6:30pm. I'm beat up by that time of day and just starting to feel really annoyed at the whole situation. I think if one of my families dropped, I would probably throw in the towel. Oh yea....and here comes Christmas. Sorry to be such a downer guys.
TwinKristi 05:18 PM 11-12-2013
Originally Posted by providerandmomof4:
I feel the same way. My enrollments dropped way off in the summer, which was fine with me at the time, but it hasn't picked back up. I have three full time, not including my granddaughter. Have had a few calls and then my "one day" family. Ugh! It has just been really hard....and I extended my hours to accomodate my recent family and have to stay open until 6:30! I have never worked past 5:30 in the past....I am just really considering other options right now. Some days I have an early drop off at 6:30am and then my last pick up is 6:30pm. I'm beat up by that time of day and just starting to feel really annoyed at the whole situation. I think if one of my families dropped, I would probably throw in the towel. Oh yea....and here comes Christmas. Sorry to be such a downer guys.
No don't be sorry! I'm in the same boat! Seriously will have 1 guy 3 days and an after-school kid... That's it! Doesn't make sense for me to do this. I just made my last payment for my daycare insurance through next August and renew my license this month. Ugh! All for what... Less than $1000/mo.
Crazy8 08:41 AM 11-13-2013
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
No don't be sorry! I'm in the same boat! Seriously will have 1 guy 3 days and an after-school kid... That's it! Doesn't make sense for me to do this. I just made my last payment for my daycare insurance through next August and renew my license this month. Ugh! All for what... Less than $1000/mo.
yup, I am losing $400/week as of this week.... I was so thankful in September when I was full and finally making decent income after being soooo lenient with the teachers being off this summer and now TWO of them are the ones leaving. And the fact that I asked back in June/July if they'd be considering preschool for Fall and they both said no, not till next Sept. (which would make sense - they'd be about 3.5 by then) now leaving in November, jipping me out of Thanksgiving pay and going to preschool for 3 years before kindergarten. One even had the nerve to say she thinks preschool will help potty train - sure, a teacher with 15 kids is going to help you more than I would with 5 kids. Good luck with that. I am just really feeling discouraged now.
Tay 07:10 AM 11-14-2013
Feeling some type of way here in New Britain, CT too. I was licensed in April 2013 by the end of May I was taking care of 4yrs old twins (boy/girl). The boy had severe behavioral problems and was kicked out of daycares left and right. That was my only income so I made the best of it, even though I wanted to crawl in a hole every time I saw mom pull into my driveway. Mom had serious problems too and took 'em out my daycare by mid july (no explanations whatsoever). First week of October, I started taking care of a 1 yr old boy part-time he is a delightful lil' thing. I am struggling really bad. My funds are depleted, holidays are coming up and I am going crazy. I have advertisements running in CL, Care.com, nearby schools (I have an elementary in front of my house), I have a 2-sided advertisement board in front of my house, I even paid to have an ad for a year in a church near my home with over 3K church attendees every week, 211 Childcare info, Childcare.us and google.com. I don't know what else to do. I am losing more $$$ than what I am making. I am even an affiliated member with NAEYC and NAFCC. No calls either! 😢
MarinaVanessa 07:39 AM 11-14-2013
It seems that this is a problem nationwide. Im a part of a child care association and a year ago we'd get 8-12 calls a week from parents looking for referrals, now we're lucky if we get 1 call a month to give referrals to.

I was talking to another board member of another daycare association which covers a different area and they use our local resource and referral agency to get their association mailers out (they give them stamped mail and the R&R prints the names & addresses of providers in the area on them) and the last time they did she said she was quoted 90 providers and by the time she gave them all 90 envelopes (3 weeks later) there were already 12 less providers to give mailers to because that many had closed their doors in that period of time .

I NEVER had an issue getting clients and now that my DS is 3 months and I'm ready to fill the 2 spots that I was saving I can't seem to get an interview. I've gotten 4 calls since I started advertising 2 weeks ago but no interview.
TwinKristi 10:14 AM 11-14-2013
I finally have an interview on Monday for a baby who would start in Jan. It's my friend's cousin (found out after the call) so she's already heard good things about me since I watched 2 of her cousins' kids! I emailed my references and contract and hope Monday goes well! This would pretty much cover the loss of one of the boys leaving next month. I'm praying so hard that this works out!
LaLa1923 10:30 AM 11-14-2013
I'm lucky to live near a military base. I am currently full and turning people away.

BUT I am also taking clients I usually wouldn't take. I have one client that is SA, and two clients that are until 6:30pm at night, and a third that is until 9 pm. I also have two kids on Saturdays. I have a total of 8 kids and I really like the income I have now, but I hate the hours.

I don't feel like I can really be picky right now...so many people are struggling..... I really hope good things come for all of you!!!
Unregistered 10:39 AM 11-14-2013
I'm going to be honest as a parent AND an ex provider who sees things from both sides.

First, as a provider, I noticed ALL around, not just where I live, but I have provider friends all over; UNLICENSED childcare is taking over. UNLICENSED childcare is usually cheaper and more flexible. More and more people are becoming UNLICENSED providers.

Then you have your ILLEGAL daycares (those who are not simply unlicensed, but also operating against rules and regs in their prospective states). They are popping up EVERYWHERE!!!! I see ads for this all the time. One girl I personally know is illegal and has even had DHS let her know it, has not stopped doing it. She charges under $100/week from 6am-6pm and does not have "contracted hourly care" just takes them for 12 hours, no questions asked. She has had 8-12 kids at one time. Where I live, you may take ONE unrelated family in your home. Her neighbor even called the DHS again after the 1st visit didn't shut her down (because the neighbor stated that she was not liking a business in the area and parents parking in front of her driveway became an issue)

Also, moms are staying home more because the price of childcare is more than what wages will be worth covering as well as some people are not having as many children. So you have 1 child and maybe 2 child families popping up where it used to be people had an average of 3 kids. So when one went off to Kinder, you had the other two for a few years and so forth.

The licensed daycares are getting to be far and few in between anymore. Even licensed child cares are stopping their licenses (but not stopping care) so that they don't have to be subject to rules/regs/visits and are starting to offer lower rates. I noticed a couple in the area I am in now that cannot afford to do a curriculum so they use the old one they had, but now incorporate TV and video games, where before that was an absolute NO.

Another thing I noticed when I was doing child care: Parents wanted me to be more of a 'religious' setting---quite the OPPOSITE of what parents wanted when I first started. But instead of allowing me to incorporate this request into my schedule (with all signatures on file) they wanted me to revamp my whole curriculum, which I could not afford, to be just like their church daycares. Um, I was a small home, not a church daycare so I don't have the funds or the resources to incorporate those types of requests, so because of that, some parents sought daycare through the churches.

And on the flip side, parents who had kids and were going to be 2nd time parents, they wanted to be home with baby and then quit their jobs to do Attachment Parenting. They're getting advice from somewhere that THIS is the best way to parent; this means stay home, and wear your baby and NO daycare. At least this is how it was explained to me.

Last but not least, daycares have been all over the news making parents apprehensive.

Things are changing.

As a PARENT, I have chosen to only use 2 days per week for child care. I want to raise my OWN children with OUR beliefs and values taught. We also cannot afford more than that because we have more than 2 children and so for us, it's just better to be part-time. Our provider DOES charge more per day for the 2 days, but it's STILL significantly less than what it would be to go full time. We still continue to pay her for all holidays, days off that we take, vacations, etc but this is a much better arrangement. Also, all my kids are SA, so no babies for her to take on during the day from our family. She has ONE infant, and our family and another family and that's it. She is still not getting many calls, evne though EVERYONE knows she does child care at very reasonable rates and is one of the best in the area.

It's hard out there, but the above reasons are becoming more common place (sources: parents and other providers in my area and outside my area as well as our referral agency ) and a trend is being noticed.
Tags:bad economy, no business
Reply Up