Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Why don't you just read your handbook please!?!?!?!?!?
williams2008 02:54 PM 11-25-2012
Why in the world do some parents develop amnesia when it comes to paying for their child/children spots and late fees. During every interview I go over my policies which are listed in the handbook. How many times am I gonna have to remind them that just because their child only came one day doesn't mean that's the only day they have to pay for???????

All payments are due at close of business on Friday. Since my close of business was Wednesday of last week due to the holidays payments were due then, and as of this past week I have three parents who have not paid. I sent out reminders that their child can not attend on Monday morning unless they have their full payment plus late fees and they act as if they have never known these rules ever applied. I am so stressed out and sick and tired of having to chase people down to get paid for caring for their children. I am really considering going back into the workforce
Blackcat31 03:16 PM 11-25-2012
Do you have parents pay for the week of service BEFORE you provide it or AFTER you have provided care?
williams2008 03:28 PM 11-25-2012
After, and I am writing up changes now where they will be paying for it before hand. I think it is so sad that I have explained to them how they are paying for their slot not by the days their child attends. One of the parents who have not paid, said to me today, o well idk I had to pay for the entire week since he only came one day...ummmmm really!?!?!?!?!?
littlemissmuffet 03:46 PM 11-25-2012
Paying in advance will help solve a lot of your problems

If a parent consistantly *tries* to pay late, I terminate... just like I would find a new job if my boss was consistantly trying to pay me late. I have zero time for discussing petty issues like payment - the rules are firm, follow them or find another daycare.

Good luck!
williams2008 03:56 PM 11-25-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
Paying in advance will help solve a lot of your problems

If a parent consistantly *tries* to pay late, I terminate... just like I would find a new job if my boss was consistantly trying to pay me late. I have zero time for discussing petty issues like payment - the rules are firm, follow them or find another daycare.

Good luck!
Thanks! I totally agree and I am putting that into action asap.....although I may loose a few dcks due to advance payments
Blackcat31 04:29 PM 11-25-2012
Originally Posted by williams2008:
Thanks! I totally agree and I am putting that into action asap.....although I may loose a few dcks due to advance payments
One of the things I did a few years back when paying BEFORE services were rendered wasn't yet a very common thing was to give parents the choice.

If they paid BEFORE services were provided, I charged them $100 per week (just an example) and if they choose to pay AFTER care was provided I charged $150 per week.

Parents quickly transistioned themselves to pre-paying.

The late fee for late payments should also be enough to impact the family and make them NOT want to ever pay late again. For example:

1st late fee = $20 per day
2nd late fee = $40 per day
3rd late fee = termination.

It isn't always about the money. It is about respecting your policies and rules.
williams2008 04:37 PM 11-25-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
One of the things I did a few years back when paying BEFORE services were rendered wasn't yet a very common thing was to give parents the choice.

If they paid BEFORE services were provided, I charged them $100 per week (just an example) and if they choose to pay AFTER care was provided I charged $150 per week.

Parents quickly transistioned themselves to pre-paying.

The late fee for late payments should also be enough to impact the family and make them NOT want to ever pay late again. For example:

It isn't always about the money. It is about respecting your policies and rules.
That is a good idea and thank you for this:The late fee for late payments should also be enough to impact the family and make them NOT want to ever pay late again. For example:

I will be adding this, because I don't even want the money for the late fee, I just want to be paid on time just as they do on their job!!!!
Tags:handbooks, parents - are clueless, parents - don't cooperate
Reply Up