Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tantrums. . .
momofboys 08:44 AM 02-22-2011
How do you handle them with 2 1/2 - 3 year olds? Do you ignore them? Make them sit quietly or in another room until they can settle down & control themselves?
lil angels 08:53 AM 02-22-2011
I try to ignore when I know it is for attention but when they will not stop i put them in a time out and don't look at them. After they settle a little I will ask them if they are all done and to dry your eyes and let them go. I have had a terrible child that I couldn't calm at all I have put her in a pnp and left her be for a few minutes and then I go back and ask those same questions. I seems to work ok.
daycare 08:54 AM 02-22-2011
i sit them in our soft room and let them scream/kick/cry it out.. I get them to a safe place and then leave.

I think that the children will get over it faster when they see that you have moved on and dont care that they are having a fit.... no reaction no need to repeat...

allthough, from ages 20 months to 3 yrs old it is a very hard time for the littles as they often get frustrated when they cant find the words to talk about what they want or how they feel about something.. I try to help them first with what they want. If i figure out what they want, then I tell them when we want ____________ you use your words.. I tell them how to say it so next time there wont be so much drama...

If I cant figure it out, they go to the soft room to get it all out...
SilverSabre25 09:07 AM 02-22-2011
When I know what is causing the tantrum I give the child the words they need to express their feelings-- "Wow, you are feeling SO ANGRY that Timmy is playing with the toy you want! It's so hard to have to wait!" or "I know, you are really upset that we can't go outside today. It would be so much fun if we could! Unfortunately it's just too cold out."

I often find that acknowledging those feelings and giving them the words (upset, angry, frustrated, disappointed, etc) completely diffuses things and turns it from out-of-control upset to in-control upset and shortens the tantrum a lot.
MommyMuffin 09:11 AM 02-22-2011
I ask them what is wrong and if there is nothing wrong and they are just crying then I ask them if they are "sad" "scared" ect. If they will not calm down I sit them down in the hallway where I can see them. After a minute I go by them and talk to them and try to hug them.

If they continue then I leave them alone. After 5 minutes I will ask if they want to play what the rest of the group is playing.
melskids 09:20 AM 02-22-2011
i think it depends on the child.

i have one that i can "talk down" fairly easy.

the other one? his head would spin like the exorcist if i even look at him while he's tantruming
kendallina 09:36 AM 02-22-2011
It depends on the child. Sometimes just acknowledging their feelings about what they wanted works well. And then I can help direct them to an activity. For my own DD, she gets even more mad if I talk to her during a tantrum so I generally ignore her in the beginning then use redirection when she's breathing in between screams (that way she can hear me...lol).
Tags:tantrums
Reply Up