Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Issues/non issues of proposed new regs
Josiegirl 04:10 AM 09-19-2015
I attended a training this past week of what they're trying to pass in our 60 pages of new regs. They won't go into affect for another year and then we'll have a year to comply.
Some of the regs. people were dissing were things such as nothing in a child's crib if they're under a year. No blankets, no cloth diaper, books, stuffed animals, nada. Most of the others complained but I feel that's a good idea.
Another was as soon as the ground freezes, no more climbing/swinging, etc. equipment can be used. Everybody was complaining but really, isn't that why we spend tons of money? To keep the ground soft if their head hits it?

One I don't agree with is it'll be mandatory to move 12 month olds and up(if they are walkers) to a cot or mat. Right now I have twin 15 month old dcgs and I cannot imagine trying to get them to sleep in a lighter room, with other kids. They're light sleepers to begin with and need to be separate. Now I could see it if they were climbing out.

For those of us without dishwashers, we'll have a 4 step process to washing dishes. While that will be a major pain, it's doable.

One lady complained because she'll be required to put up a fence totally surrounding her yard(if she doesn't have natural boundaries), costing her thousands. I can see her point but I can see the other side also.

From what some of you have said, your regs. are even more strict so I shouldn't complain but center owners are even agreeing that they're trying to bring home providers up to their standards.
Maybe the state could help by providing grant money towards major expenses such as fencing?
nannyde 05:20 AM 09-19-2015
Putting one year olds on cots? Omg

That would rock my world. I have them in playpens till three.

I wonder if it is in response to having commercial playpens becoming so shallow on the inside and the materials so flimsy.

My playpens are 26 inches deep. There are ones on the market that are 19. That's the difference of two YEARS of growth between the first and third year.

They are probably seeing falls out of the shallow playpens and providers doing stuff like putting plywood over the top of the playpens to keep them in.

Nothing in the crib is common now.in most states.

The cot thing for the one.year olds could be enough to put the provider over the edge. Having a twelve month old who doesn't understand lay and stay means one to one care at nap. It also means as.soon as the one year olds wake up... nap is over. I saw this in the centers I watched cameras for. The staff hated nap time even with a one to four ratio. They had SO many kids who would not sleep without being held or patted by an adult. They also had staff doing things they shouldn't to get them to lay down. Blankets over face, workers legs over the kids torso, partially laying on the kid to prevent them from getting up.

We had to do a ton of corrections and.supervision in those rooms.at nap. But... they were the shortest naps.in the building and the ones didn't have a morning nap. These kids were EXHAUSTED all day long. They also had happy parents because the majority went home and went to bed shortly after getting home. At home they were confined.

More illness and violence in the one.room than any other room. More staff turnover than all the other rooms combined.

Home providers need a break and they just policied yours away.

Fight it.
Josiegirl 06:01 AM 09-19-2015
Yes, that was terribly unpopular.
Plus another one they want to pass is no more potty chairs, unless they're the flushable kind. They make flushable potty chairs??? You have to use the toilet with a stool. I guess they make toilet seats with potty chairs in them too?
Some of these rules are over the top. Thought up by people who don't do what we do, day in and day out. They're sitting at their desks, having coffee brought in by their administrative assistants.

And I'd never heard of this happening before but I guess in centers already, the state will come in and check the room temp 1' above the floor, it has to be between 68-85. Oy.
Heidi 06:07 AM 09-19-2015
Originally Posted by nannyde:

I wonder if it is in response to having commercial playpens becoming so shallow on the inside and the materials so flimsy.

My playpens are 26 inches deep. There are ones on the market that are 19. That's the difference of two YEARS of growth between the first and third year.

They are probably seeing falls out of the shallow playpens and providers doing stuff like putting plywood over the top of the playpens to keep them in.

Nothing in the crib is common now.in most states.

The cot thing for the one.year olds could be enough to put the provider over the edge. Having a twelve month old who doesn't understand lay and stay means one to one care at nap. It also means as.soon as the one year olds wake up... nap is over. I saw this in the centers I watched cameras for. The staff hated nap time even with a one to four ratio. They had SO many kids who would not sleep without being held or patted by an adult. They also had staff doing things they shouldn't to get them to lay down. Blankets over face, workers legs over the kids torso, partially laying on the kid to prevent them from getting up.

We had to do a ton of corrections and.supervision in those rooms.at nap. But... they were the shortest naps.in the building and the ones didn't have a morning nap. These kids were EXHAUSTED all day long. They also had happy parents because the majority went home and went to bed shortly after getting home. At home they were confined.

More illness and violence in the one.room than any other room. More staff turnover than all the other rooms combined.

Home providers need a break and they just policied yours away.

Fight it.
I agree!

I know there are providers that do it, but I just got a new one that will be 1 this week, and I can't imagine a cot for him. He's been bottled and rocked to sleep for 362 days, 3-4 times a day. The side of the cot is higher than his nose. There is no safety issue there. In fact, having him on a mat would be a safety issue, IMO. First..supervision. I do have to use the bathroom, put away lunch, etc. Even if I didn't want a "break" during a 10 hour day, I still need to DO things during nap time.

Second, I need a break, or I might go bonkers (read...danger to children when a provider is overwhelmed). Working by yourself 10-11 hours a day and no break? Nuh uh...now THAT"S a safety issue!

We've had center staff in our town cited for holding a TWO year old down the way Nan described. A one year old has no self control.

If you have a union, get them on it. That's what they're there for. If you don't, try every other available means; your NAFCC chapter, NAFCC itself, anyone who'll listen and help fight stupid policies. Call your legislator. They just sign stuff like that and have no clue about the impact. Invite them to your program. Show them!
Febby 07:04 AM 09-19-2015

I was told that's why we can't use PNPs in my state. The materials were too flimsy and children were climbing up and out of them.

State here says toddlers and preschoolers in an individual bed, nap mat, or on a cot. Every inspector I've seen has counted a crib as an individual bed for toddlers.

We have a 1:6 ratio for toddlers in my state. I worked in toddler rooms with cots or mats for a while and I never found a way to get more than four to sleep at once (assuming I didn't have any that didn't just lay down and fall asleep instantly), but I couldn't put more than three to sleep at a time if I 100% followed state regs (regarding cot/mat spacing).

We can use potty chairs here if they are cleaned and sanitized completely between each use. I've never met a provider who actually used them though.

What are your four steps for washing dishes?
nannyde 08:30 AM 09-19-2015
Center workers have some supervision and some cameras. Home providers don't.

I think abuse is going to come from this.
nannyde 08:32 AM 09-19-2015
State by state they are regulating out infant care. When you have one year olds on mats you are fundamentally changing the business. It is going to be where there isn't money there for the work.
Febby 08:59 AM 09-19-2015
Center workers have some supervision and some cameras. Home providers don't.

I think abuse is going to come from this.
Abuse already does come from naptime issues for both center workers and home providers. A center I used to work at put pillows over the heads of children who didn't sleep while holding them down onto their mat/cot. Their motto was 'they'll sleep if you make them.' I didn't stay there long and the center was later shut down. And I remember hearing stories years ago of a home provider wrapping her children up in carpets for naptime, though I've never been able to verify that one.

But, yes, abuse is likely to come from this. ANYTHING that increases stress for the provider(s) is going to increase the risk of abuse.
Febby 09:10 AM 09-19-2015
Although, for the record, the sleep regs I mentioned in my previous post apply to certified and licensed homes as well as licensed centers in my state.
NoMoreJuice! 09:16 AM 09-19-2015
I have so much to say on this subject, so bear with me!

In Kansas, on July 1st, 2010, we had a law go into effect called Lexie's Law. In addition to a million other things, one of the new regs stated that all children ages 12 months+ be placed on a nap mat or cot to sleep. The reason for this law was because of the death of a little girl named Lexie, who had climbed out of her pack and play and fallen between the backside and the staircase. The provider went upstairs and left the kids napping unsupervised. In addition to changing where kids sleep, the law also changed the way we monitor them, visually checking every 15 minutes, and when they are awake they must always be in our line of sight. If you want to read more about Lexie's story, here's a link:

http://www.kumc.edu/news-listing-pag...standards.html

Last October, I went to a provider's update like I do every fall, to hear about things going on with regs at the state and local levels. It's a great way to interact with our surveyors and ask questions, and I LOVE that my county puts it on every year. Anyway, we broke into groups for a group exercise, and as we went around the circle talking about who we were, I got literal chills down my spine when I found out I was sitting next to Lexie's mom. Kim has spent the last decade trying to make changes to child care here in Kansas, and while most of it is for the best I believe, I found out something that made me very angry. She looked me straight in the eye and told me that people like me (and therefore almost all of us here on the forum) have no business watching children in our HOUSE, and that children can only be kept safe in a tightly regulated and supervised center. I merely told her I disagreed, but didn't fight with her. I know the big fight will be in Topeka in the coming years.

Ok, going back to the nap mats...I know you all sound horrified, but I truly do get all my kids to sleep 2+ hours every day. I have 12 kids, and right now four of them are under 21 months. I've had several babies in the past that I had in a pack and play, then moved to a nap mat on their first birthday. I've never had to hold them down, but we do sit and pat their backs for the first week or so when they first start. Now, we lay down with our blankies, say goodnight, and that's that. They're normally so exhausted from playing that they go right down without a fuss. This is also where I'm really glad we have a strict schedule that is perfectly consistent every day. 11:30, lunch, 12:00 diaper changes/potty, 12:15 read books, 12:30 lights out. They all know what to expect, and they all know they must stay on their mats, which are always placed in the same spot. Some of the older kids can have a puzzle if they wake up early, but it's very rare. So it's possible, and don't panic if your state starts requiring this. Hope this helps!
Josiegirl 03:51 AM 09-20-2015
NoMoreJuice, you must have assistants working with you by the sounds of it? Do you think that makes a difference? I guess it still makes the same ratio so probably not.
Maybe we're just anticipating a problem where there wouldn't be any in reality. Some kids just have a really hard time knowing there are others nearby, KWIM? They want to get up and play. Or for instance, I have 2 3 yos that don't sleep every day so all they want to do is stand up and look at each other. I'm constantly ushering them back into their proper places.
I always just assumed if the child showed no signs of attempting to climb out then it's okay.
Play Care 05:10 AM 09-20-2015
I believe that these changes are designed to further reduce the amount of children a provider takes on, and is one more way the States are trying to be rid of in home day cares. The motto must be "Let's make it nearly impossible so they either have to hire help, or quit!" I don't think they like providers being alone in the home.

Last May we had a slew of new regulations. I lost my upstairs napping room which had been approved for 9 years. Because of this I can no longer really have school aged kids on vacations because I have no where for them to be. So less kids.
Kids who don't nap are not supposed to be put down at all - where it used to be 30 minutes and then be let up. I refuse to take kids who don't nap, but I know my licensor didn't like that when she heard it
Oh well, they can tell me what I have to do once I get them here, but as of yet they can't make me take them on...yet...

But for me the question is - And are kids safer? The one family I let go because of napping issues wound up hiring a private nanny who could do all the things I'm not allowed to do per regs.
And I've heard of other parents doing the same things - purposely looking for unlicenesed care (casual babysitters, private nannies, family, etc) because of the regulations. In some cases we could say that these families probably are not cut out for Day Care, but that's not the case for all of them. I believe many families are turned off by the inordinate amount of regulations and find other options. They're not just pushing the in homes out of business, they are pushing families away from licensed care. At least in my area.
Second Home 05:37 AM 09-20-2015
Some of the regs. people were dissing were things such as nothing in a child's crib if they're under a year. No blankets, no cloth diaper, books, stuffed animals, nada.

This is what we already have here .

Another was as soon as the ground freezes, no more climbing/swinging, etc. equipment can be used. Everybody was complaining but really, isn't that why we spend tons of money? To keep the ground soft if their head hits it?
Here we do not have to put anything under our swings , but if we do it must be at least 12 inches deep . This really wouldn't bother me .

One I don't agree with is it'll be mandatory to move 12 month olds and up(if they are walkers) to a cot or mat.
We have regs that state only with parents approval a child can be taken out of a pnp at 18 months otherwise that stay in until 2 yrs .
Josiegirl 06:17 AM 09-20-2015
Originally Posted by Second Home:
[i]

Here we do not have to put anything under our swings , but if we do it must be at least 12 inches deep . This really wouldn't bother me .

Now see, that I don't understand?? You don't have to put anything on your playground but if you do, it's gotta be 12" deep? Where is the logic in that, maybe someone can explain it to me? Is that your whole play yard or just under swings? Maybe it makes a difference? Is it anything over 3'? I'm hoping I don't come off sounding snarky, I'm really curious.
BabyMonkeys 06:27 AM 09-20-2015
What kind of playpens do you have? I have one little guy 21m that I've resorted to putting in a sleep sack on occasion because he likes to climb out.
nannyde 06:37 AM 09-20-2015
https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59994
BabyMonkeys 06:47 AM 09-20-2015
Do they still sell them? I consider myself pretty good with Google, but I'm coming up empty.

Never mind...a little more Google and I found my own answer
Blackcat31 07:08 AM 09-20-2015
Originally Posted by angelw2babies:
Do they still sell them? I consider myself pretty good with Google, but I'm coming up empty.

Never mind...a little more Google and I found my own answer
You can still find them at garage sales, Craigs List and E-bay.

I have one. It is by far THE best PNP I own.

I have a Graco, an Eddie Bauer and an Evenflo as well but none of them compare to the JMason.
nannyde 07:09 AM 09-20-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
You can still find them at garage sales, Craigs List and E-bay.

I have one. It is by far THE best PNP I own.

I have a Graco, an Eddie Bauer and an Evenflo as well but none of them compare to the JMason.
I have 14 in my stock! I hope they survive four years of basement storage as I do time in Podunkia.
Blackcat31 07:14 AM 09-20-2015
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:

Ok, going back to the nap mats...I know you all sound horrified, but I truly do get all my kids to sleep 2+ hours every day. I have 12 kids, and right now four of them are under 21 months. I've had several babies in the past that I had in a pack and play, then moved to a nap mat on their first birthday. I've never had to hold them down, but we do sit and pat their backs for the first week or so when they first start. Now, we lay down with our blankies, say goodnight, and that's that. They're normally so exhausted from playing that they go right down without a fuss. This is also where I'm really glad we have a strict schedule that is perfectly consistent every day. 11:30, lunch, 12:00 diaper changes/potty, 12:15 read books, 12:30 lights out. They all know what to expect, and they all know they must stay on their mats, which are always placed in the same spot.

This is my routine as well.
Its the consistency every day that makes the difference.

I transition my kiddos around 12-15 months. It really isn't hard at all.

The kids know my expectations easily with regular routines and daily consistency so any transition really (bottle to cup, high chair to booster chair, pnp to nap mat) is usually seamless and smooth.
Blackcat31 07:15 AM 09-20-2015
I have 14 in my stock! I hope they survive four years of basement storage as I do time in Podunkia.
The only issue Ive run into,is needing the manufacturers certificate of compliance.
Second Home 08:10 AM 09-20-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Now see, that I don't understand?? You don't have to put anything on your playground but if you do, it's gotta be 12" deep? Where is the logic in that, maybe someone can explain it to me? Is that your whole play yard or just under swings? Maybe it makes a difference? Is it anything over 3'? I'm hoping I don't come off sounding snarky, I'm really curious.

I have grass/dirt under my swings , my whole yard really . If I decide to put in mulch under the swings / play area it would have to be up to date with the center standards that came into effect after I was licensed. A minimum of 12 inches under the equipment . As long as I don't change anything then I do not have to update the play area . Our swings , slides and play equip can not be taller than 7 feet .

Now I really think this will eventually be changed but for now this is the regs.

I just had my inspection last week . My rep and I were out on the deck and she commented on how nice and big the yard/play area is for the kids .
nannyde 08:23 AM 09-20-2015
The only issue Ive run into,is needing the manufacturers certificate of compliance.
That wasn't required in the early 2000's.

I would be fine with using cribs till one. When they are truly useful is age one to three. They are kinda a back breaker if you use the first generations in infants that can't stand up. They cheapened them down to a 22 inch model. I use those for newborns. As soon as they pull up, I switch to the original ones.
mommyneedsadayoff 11:23 AM 09-20-2015
I keep mine in PNPs till they get to the point of being able to crawl out, which has been 2-3 years IME. I can't imagine my one year old sleeping on a mat or cot at this point. Part of what my kids love at nap is getting their own quiet space and being able to unwind alone. They will chat with themselves or roll around a little and humm, ect. Having them all in one room on mats would really ruin their alone time. I am glad I don't have these regulations and I am glad I have made the choice to be done with childcare at the end of the year. I love my job and my kids, but the risk of something bad happening has scared me away from a job I have done for over 17 years. I don't want to be stressed about it anymore, so I will bow out gracefully and continue the support for providers as long as I can speak. Much love and respect to those who continue to do this job no matter how tough they make it on you. You have my support 100%!
NoMoreJuice! 12:29 PM 09-20-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
NoMoreJuice, you must have assistants working with you by the sounds of it? Do you think that makes a difference? I guess it still makes the same ratio so probably not.
Maybe we're just anticipating a problem where there wouldn't be any in reality. Some kids just have a really hard time knowing there are others nearby, KWIM? They want to get up and play. Or for instance, I have 2 3 yos that don't sleep every day so all they want to do is stand up and look at each other. I'm constantly ushering them back into their proper places.
I always just assumed if the child showed no signs of attempting to climb out then it's okay.
I have one full time assistant (I call her my co-provider, but technically she is my employee). We separate our groups of six each in the mornings, but we feed all twelve and put them down to nap all together. We are very firm about not messing around. Our state regs say the nap mats must be 24 inches apart, but we really separate by three or four feet at least, spread out all over the basement. It's just a habit you have to get them into, not talking or messing around. We say a quiet but very firm "SHHH" if we hear any chatting, and that's about the end of it. Sometimes a little one will wake up early and my assistant will cuddle on the couch with him/her, but it's super rare.

I think all you amazing providers aren't giving yourselves enough credit. If I can do it, I know you can. You all know the magic powers of consistency.
Unregistered 06:27 PM 09-20-2015
I use the pack n play to about 18 months then I start to notice them not sleeping good the end up being to long and cant strech in the pack n play
LysesKids 03:12 AM 09-21-2015

This is my routine as well.
Its the consistency every day that makes the difference.

I transition my kiddos around 12-15 months. It really isn't hard at all.

The kids know my expectations easily with regular routines and daily consistency so any transition really (bottle to cup, high chair to booster chair, pnp to nap mat) is usually seamless and smooth.
See I transition @ 12 months also... most my kids are heading towards one of the Montessori schools in the area & that's a given there too. (My home is based on a Nido). Never had an issue even when I had 5 or 6 littles (in other states), but here it's a very manageable 4.
nannyde 06:37 AM 09-21-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I use the pack n play to about 18 months then I start to notice them not sleeping good the end up being to long and cant strech in the pack n play
Pack n plays are not just way more shallow but shorter and less wide. The ones I use are 41 inches long iirc.
Cat Herder 07:46 AM 09-21-2015
Every thing you listed in the OP have been "minimum standards" here for quite a while.

Just wait.
Annalee 09:05 AM 09-21-2015
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Every thing you listed in the OP have been "minimum standards" here for quite a while.

Just wait.
Yep, just wait! New rules are coming across the board to many states. I transition to mats at 12 months. Anything outside that is over 12 inches here has to have 6 inches of resilliant surfacing under it in case a child falls while climbing....yep, even the little tykes things.....so I don't have any!!!! I have crawl thru things. Nothing but a receiving blanket is allowed in pnp or cribs now. The rules here are strict and many violations come with a hefty fine.
Blackcat31 09:10 AM 09-21-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Yep, just wait! New rules are coming across the board to many states. I transition to mats at 12 months. Anything outside that is over 12 inches here has to have 6 inches of resilliant surfacing under it in case a child falls while climbing....yep, even the little tykes things.....so I don't have any!!!! I have crawl thru things. Nothing but a receiving blanket is allowed in pnp or cribs now. The rules here are strict and many violations come with a hefty fine.
We aren't allowed to have ANYTHING in the crib or PNP.

A paci would be the ONLY thing acceptable.

We can NOT have receiving blankets at all.

If we do use a wrap or swaddler, parents have to sign off on it and we can only use it until the child learns to turn over.
Annalee 09:12 AM 09-21-2015
We aren't allowed to have ANYTHING in the crib or PNP.

A paci would be the ONLY thing acceptable.

We can NOT have receiving blankets at all.

If we do use a wrap or swaddler, parents have to sign off on it and we can only use it until the child learns to turn over.
We can have the blanket but no swaddler....??
Heidi 10:50 AM 09-21-2015
We can have a light blanket, which must be tucked around the edges of the mattress until they can pull it out themselves. Other alternatives are swaddlers (I only use until the can roll over, but regs don't address it), and sleep sacks.
Play Care 10:53 AM 09-21-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
We can have a light blanket, which must be tucked around the edges of the mattress until they can pull it out themselves. Other alternatives are swaddlers (I only use until the can roll over, but regs don't address it), and sleep sacks.
Same here.
LysesKids 12:48 PM 09-21-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
We can have the blanket but no swaddler....??
I know right & I do infant care lol... my families still don't get that I run like I am fully licensed, only without the QRIS crap; they just know they like how I do things. I have made a slight difference in this area because I see other ads on CL copy catting my childcare ideas & fees
Tags:infant sleep, nap, regulations
Reply Up