Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parent Appreciation?
queenbee 01:29 PM 10-12-2011
I lost three children to kindergarten this past summer and in the past two months I've enrolled two new children along with a set of twins who are part-time. I run a very strict, group home daycare (capacity is 12 with my assistant) and I believe my new daycare kids will work out well within my group. They've been adjusting very well.

My problem is with the parents. During the interview process they all sounded fantastic and well-put together. My interview process is pretty tough and usually only the good parents who pay on time and listen are welcomed with open arms into my daycare. Unfortunately, they've been showing some of their true colors. Lately, all but 3 of my daycare families/parents have lost the ability to listen, follow rules, pay on time, abide by policies, park in the street where they are suppose to and not in the driveway, bring in supplies when needed, bring their children properly dressed for the weather.....and a few more things.

I've corrected many of these issues these past two weeks. If you pay late, you pay a $50 late fee. You bring your children in ill-fitting clothes or clothes that aren't proper for daycare, you get sent back home (Dcd who has a 45 minute drive from home did not like that one). You don't bring in supplies after REPEATED notices, in person and in writing on daily sheet, I buy the supplies and charge you a Supply Fee that is double the amount I spend on the new supplies. I also put my bright colorful cones that I use for obstacle courses across my driveway so that parents park in the two parking spots that I've outlined with chalk - Parking #1 and Parking #2. My neighbors laugh at the very clear, very obvious parking rectangles but it works (you wouldn't believe what else I tried ).

For my three families who pay on time, read their child's daily sheets, read the newsletter, park in the designated parking, bring in supplies the next day I ask for them, bring their children in proper, daycare clothing and shoes......and who laugh everytime they see a reminder on the front door about paying on time, reading the newsletters/daily sheets.......I'd like to show them I apreciate them.

What do you suggest I do for my three great families? I don't think a thank you note will seem......enough. I REALLY appreciate them.

Thanks in advance!
Michael 01:32 PM 10-12-2011
Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum! I've upgraded your status. You can post freely now.
daycare 01:34 PM 10-12-2011
welcome and great avatar!! super cute

I would do a free parents night out for about 2.5 hours on a friday night to show how much you apreciate them. Maybe just make it a one time thing

I am sure others will have some great ideas for you as well.
Michael 01:42 PM 10-12-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
Actually I usually chose the avatars but everyone is free to change them as I think Queen Bee will.

(FYI-Here is the old one)
AnythingsPossible 01:44 PM 10-12-2011
How about making them a dinner that they can take home and heat up with a nice card telling them how much you appreciate them?

You could put a lasagna together in a foil pan, a bag salad and some garlic bread, possibly with a nice bottle of wine??

A gift certificate to a reastaurant with a coupon for daycare for the evening.

Put together a family fun night bag with a movie or game and some snacks.
wahmof3 01:47 PM 10-12-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:

I would do a free parents night out for about 2.5 hours on a friday night to show how much you apreciate them. Maybe just make it a one time thing

I am sure others will have some great ideas for you as well.
I think this is a fantastic idea! What if you also included the appreciation award in a newsletter, so MAYBE your other dcp might catch on????
caligirl 02:03 PM 10-12-2011
Originally Posted by queenbee:
I lost three children to kindergarten this past summer and in the past two months I've enrolled two new children along with a set of twins who are part-time. I run a very strict, group home daycare (capacity is 12 with my assistant) and I believe my new daycare kids will work out well within my group. They've been adjusting very well.

My problem is with the parents. During the interview process they all sounded fantastic and well-put together. My interview process is pretty tough and usually only the good parents who pay on time and listen are welcomed with open arms into my daycare. Unfortunately, they've been showing some of their true colors. Lately, all but 3 of my daycare families/parents have lost the ability to listen, follow rules, pay on time, abide by policies, park in the street where they are suppose to and not in the driveway, bring in supplies when needed, bring their children properly dressed for the weather.....and a few more things.

I've corrected many of these issues these past two weeks. If you pay late, you pay a $50 late fee. You bring your children in ill-fitting clothes or clothes that aren't proper for daycare, you get sent back home (Dcd who has a 45 minute drive from home did not like that one). You don't bring in supplies after REPEATED notices, in person and in writing on daily sheet, I buy the supplies and charge you a Supply Fee that is double the amount I spend on the new supplies. I also put my bright colorful cones that I use for obstacle courses across my driveway so that parents park in the two parking spots that I've outlined with chalk - Parking #1 and Parking #2. My neighbors laugh at the very clear, very obvious parking rectangles but it works (you wouldn't believe what else I tried ).

For my three families who pay on time, read their child's daily sheets, read the newsletter, park in the designated parking, bring in supplies the next day I ask for them, bring their children in proper, daycare clothing and shoes......and who laugh everytime they see a reminder on the front door about paying on time, reading the newsletters/daily sheets.......I'd like to show them I apreciate them.

What do you suggest I do for my three great families? I don't think a thank you note will seem......enough. I REALLY appreciate them.

Thanks in advance!
First of all, I want to say I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE your avatar!!! It could not be MORE perfect!!!

Secondly, I want to be you!! I am WAY too lenient with things.....
Thirdly, how about a gift card? Not a large amount, but something small...or perhaps make them something special, a basket of goodies and little trinkets with a thank you card?
Cat Herder 09:29 PM 10-12-2011
Hmm... I am a bit nervous about rewarding expected behaviors. IYKWIM? Rewards are for going above and beyond.

It may come off as passive aggressive and go completely wrong.... There is also the rebound effect that now in their minds you owe them something because they followed the rules all the other times.

Yeah, I know Debbie Downer....but at least think about it, ok?

If you must do something (and I do every year) giving them one Saturday as a gift, just before Christmas, so they can shop for the kids WITH their spouse has been a hit.
laundrymom 03:26 AM 10-13-2011
I send out a GOLDEN PARENT AWARD
In snail mail. Included is a $10 gift cert to our local coffee place by my house I made it online. I put their names, a brief overview of why they get it. Etc. I also put in my newsletter a blip
Congratulations to the Manning Family. They received this months GOLDEN PARENT AWARD!! I appreciate everything you do. Thanks for being so wonderful to work with.
Kaddidle Care 04:27 AM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Hmm... I am a bit nervous about rewarding expected behaviors. IYKWIM? Rewards are for going above and beyond.

It may come off as passive aggressive and go completely wrong.... There is also the rebound effect that now in their minds you owe them something because they followed the rules all the other times.

Yeah, I know Debbie Downer....but at least think about it, ok?

If you must do something (and I do every year) giving them one Saturday as a gift, just before Christmas, so they can shop for the kids WITH their spouse has been a hit.
That's a great idea and I agree with you about rewarding expected behaviors. Just tell them how great they are and that you appreciate them!

We're so used to dealing with children that this sort of sounds like the same thing. But we don't do reward charts for Parents.

Also, if the other parents find out, they're not going to try to do better like children do - they're going to get mad.
queenbee 11:17 AM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
In snail mail. Included is a $10 gift cert to our local coffee place by my house I made it online. I put their names, a brief overview of why they get it. Etc. I also put in my newsletter a blip
Congratulations to the Manning Family. They received this months GOLDEN PARENT AWARD!! I appreciate everything you do. Thanks for being so wonderful to work with.
laundrymom,

I love this! I think it will work out great and I'd love to brag about their awesomeness in the next newsletter. Hopefully the others will catch on.....

Thanks for the idea!
caligirl 12:02 PM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
That's awesome! you know what I would have added though.....is WHAT it is they do that you appreciate...just to kind of open the eyes of those parent's who don't.
Tags:appreciation, interview, late fee, newsletter, parent appreciation
Reply Up