Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Kind Of Calls Are You Getting The Most?
cheerfuldom 08:05 PM 10-12-2011
Every time I have an opening (especially this past year) 90% of the calls are for part time infant care for first time parents. There is something seriously going on in my area. I get asked for that SOOOO many times. It happens to be the most annoying combo of care needed (at least to me). What can be worse than having a small baby taken here and there at random times and days? I think parents think they are doing good by keeping their kid out of daycare as much as possible and while I agree in one way, in another way I think the unhappiest kids at daycare are part time infants.
sharlan 08:09 PM 10-12-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Every time I have an opening (especially this past year) 90% of the calls are for part time infant care for first time parents. There is something seriously going on in my area. I get asked for that SOOOO many times. It happens to be the most annoying combo of care needed (at least to me). What can be worse than having a small baby taken here and there at random times and days? I think parents think they are doing good by keeping their kid out of daycare as much as possible and while I agree in one way, in another way I think the unhappiest kids at daycare are part time infants.
I agree.

I'd say that 95% of my calls have been from other providers pretending to be interested parents wanting prices.
cheerfuldom 08:14 PM 10-12-2011
yes and that too! there have been so many SAHMs trying to start up small daycares. When I first started there was maybe two CL ads posted per day, now there is easily 20 per day! 90% of them say they are starting new daycares to make extra money, stay home with their own kids, because they lost their jobs. It shows they are new and unprofessional when they start out the ad by telling lots of personal info about why they are new to daycare. Anyway, there is a lot of fishing around to see what other experienced providers are doing.
daycare 08:18 PM 10-12-2011
I have been getting a lot of people needing care that are on public asst, which I dont take. A llot of people calling that work in retail that want nights and weekends...NO thanks..

I had an infant call the other day, the lady wanted only 2 hour days 3 days a week.....NO thanks...

I am so empty in my daycare you would think that I would take anything, but I have learned my lesson and I am going to stick with saying that good things come to those who wait...............I just know that all of us will see good things soon...
Cat Herder 08:28 PM 10-12-2011
I have been getting a lot of Mon-Fri, 12:15-6:00 requests.

BUT they want HALF tuition since they are in free pre-school until 12:00 and feel "that is only fair". To whom has yet to be established.

The Free State pre-school just got taken out at the knees by the budget cuts and can no longer offer "free" after 12:00 ("sub-contracted" in private centers who just took one to the gut).

It seems the parents feel that if they are now going to have to pay for it the 18/1 ratio is no longer suitable after 12:00.

Even after I tell them I am full multiple times they keep trying to plead their case. I guess it has worked for them in the past?
MamaBear 09:23 PM 10-12-2011
Me too! I get pregnant moms due in a couple months or itty bitty babies for just part time requests. Also A LOT of people asking for just half days 1-5 or 7-12... It's something I never used to get requested. I think they are looking for ways to save money.

I also get the "other daycare provider" calls where they pretend to be interested parents. Its so obvious because when you ask "how old is your son?" they get all flustered "oh hes ummm uhhhh... 2 yrs old". And ask them their name and its "uhhhh Sally"... so silly. Or their phone # is blocked. Thats an obvious one! lol Just be honest and say your a daycare provider and need advice. Sheesh

I am so happy when I get a daycare call and they actually WANT full time ... classic regular full time hours!
SilverSabre25 09:33 PM 10-12-2011
A lot like you guys--infant care (which I'm full), moms looking for care a YEAR from now (I don't know what I'll be doing in a year, I'm not meeting with you), part-time infants (which I'm not willing to take), weird hours, or what have you.
Nellie 09:53 PM 10-12-2011
Right now I have one opening. I advertised for a child over a year, so I am getting lots of phone calls for infants between 8 and 11 months............and they always say "We are just a very months away from what you will take." So much changes in a month in infant time. They don't realize though.

:lots of calls for temporary care for when their provider is out on maternity leave. I did tell one family to call me back in a month. They had a little guy the same age as the rest of the group and perfect hours. They needed full time care 4 days a week. Day off Wednesday. On Wednesday I have one child that comes 1/2 day on and all the others don't come on Wednesday. If I haven't filled the spot by then that would work out great!!!!! Plus every time I have taken a child as a temp for daycare provider to take maternity leave they always end up staying.
wahmof3 06:52 AM 10-13-2011
mostly infant calls here, parttime as well
TBird 08:13 AM 10-13-2011
INFANTS, INFANTS, INFANTS...even though I advertise for FULL TIME 2 to 5 year olds. I also get a lot of Part Time and people looking for JOBS.

I don't think people "get" that if I'm licensed, I pretty much advertise for what I'm allowed and have openings for. All my infant spots are full so that's why I'm not advertising for infant spots!!!
Zoe 08:16 AM 10-13-2011
Wow! I'm not the only one! One woman wanted part time care for her infant 1 day a week for only 3 hours! Um no! The kid would never get used to me! That and if I take on one more infant or toddler I'd have to reduce my capacity, so I'm only interested in full-time infant spots. Not worth it for part time!
Cat Herder 08:46 AM 10-13-2011
October has been a HUGE birth month this year...remember the "Snowpocalypse" of last year???
KBCsMommy 09:17 AM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by TBird:
INFANTS, INFANTS, INFANTS...even though I advertise for FULL TIME 2 to 5 year olds. I also get a lot of Part Time and people looking for JOBS.

I don't think people "get" that if I'm licensed, I pretty much advertise for what I'm allowed and have openings for. All my infant spots are full so that's why I'm not advertising for infant spots!!!
I dont have any infant spots either and only advertise for 2-5 yr oldds....when people call for infants and say I saw your ad...Im always tempted to say "Didnt you read it toddlers only!"
MamaBear 12:32 PM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by KBCsMommy:
I dont have any infant spots either and only advertise for 2-5 yr oldds....when people call for infants and say I saw your ad...Im always tempted to say "Didnt you read it toddlers only!"
I sooo agree! My website and my ads will all say "TODDLER SPACE ONLY AVAILABLE" and I'll have a mom call saying she just got off my website or saw my ad and was interested in an infant space for a newborn. ARGH. I so badly want to say that too... "Didnt you read it says Toddler space only?!?!" Sheesh. Maybe they hope its a typo! lol
Blackcat31 12:44 PM 10-13-2011
mostly telemarketers.

I suppose you meant what type of daycare calls I am getting huh? I RARELY get calls for childcare. I get clients from word of mouth.

I do get the various call now and then looking for odd hour childcare, week-end care, drop in care or school age care......NONE of which I do.
AfterSchoolMom 02:29 PM 10-13-2011
I would ADORE an infant, I'd LOVE part time.... I'd even take that baby for three hours!!! I have gotten NO calls, no emails, no nothing. I've been advertising since last June.
cheerfuldom 03:05 PM 10-13-2011
afterschool....really? how are you advertising? how are you not getting any inquiries at all?
gelbesonn 07:28 PM 10-13-2011
I get pregnant people looking for infant care in 6 months. Infant care is in high demand around here. Spots are super limited (I can only have 2 out 6 kids be infant).

I'm starting to realize what you mean about part-time infants. I have a 3 afternoons/wk (mom is an afterschool teacher). It's been a hard adjustment. I've had him since start of school and he still hasn't fully adjusted. The other 2 days/wk he shares with his grandparents (who watch him at his house, but still not so consistent with caregivers!)
beachgrl 08:40 PM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
afterschool....really? how are you advertising? how are you not getting any inquiries at all?
I'm having the same problem, got quite a few calls at first but lately, hardly any and done this week nor last..hoping a vendor booth this sat will get the wordnout in the community and get me some calls or even better, spots filled!
MyAngels 08:52 PM 10-13-2011
I don't advertise as I generally take only families that are referred to me by word-of-mouth, so the only calls I get other than those folks are referrals made by my CCRRN. They continue to give out my information even though I can't remember the last time I told them I had any kind of opening .
Tags:infant care, part time care
Reply Up