Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Infant Care
tenderhearts 09:39 AM 10-30-2017
Do any of you NOT do infant care? I really do not want to do infant care anymore, I would really prefer 18 mo and up. Part of me feels it's not right to do that since a lot of my families are still wanting other kids and I have 2 moms pregnant right now. I just don't feel I can do infant care anymore with the ages I prefer to have. Do any of you do just older kids?
Pestle 09:54 AM 10-30-2017
I wanted to do just older kids, but needed whoever I could get when I first started. I quickly learned that most of the older kids on the market for a new care provider are on the market for a reason. :P I'd rather go through the infancy months with a good family.
boy_mom 10:06 AM 10-30-2017
I only took children 12-18 months and older. It wasn't written in stone, just my preference. The few times I did take an infant I usually regretted it and ended up terming! Though they're adorable, I am just not an infant care provider.

I think it's best to do what you know you are good at and prefer to do. If you are feeling like this age group isn't for you, listen to your gut!
LysesKids 10:08 AM 10-30-2017
Yeah, because of my age & a slight disability (hip displacia), I'll stick with infants/toddlers UNDER 24 months lol. I don't have the energy to chase older kids anymore. I love teaching littles, but I know my limits
HappyEverAfter 01:42 PM 10-30-2017
I started out taking any age between 3months and 6years. Now that I'm established, I don't plan to take anymore infants. The only exception to this is if one of my current families gets pregnant, in which case it would be considered on a case by case basis. The infants are cute and cuddly but also require a lot more from me than my toddlers which often means my toddlers get less attention some days. I don't like feeling as if I'm spending more time with one child over another so that's why no more infants for me.
jenboo 01:48 PM 10-30-2017
Im only infant care. Its the norm here to have the infant at one daycare and older sibling at another.
tenderhearts 03:28 PM 10-30-2017
Originally Posted by HappyEverAfter:
I started out taking any age between 3months and 6years. Now that I'm established, I don't plan to take anymore infants. The only exception to this is if one of my current families gets pregnant, in which case it would be considered on a case by case basis. The infants are cute and cuddly but also require a lot more from me than my toddlers which often means my toddlers get less attention some days. I don't like feeling as if I'm spending more time with one child over another so that's why no more infants for me.
That's exactly how I am, I've been doing this for 17 yrs but the last couple infants I've had with most of the other kids being around 2 -3, I found it is just so difficult with those ages. I think I wouldn't completely rule it out, if my group was older more 3-5 and just depending on the group but it's just not what I can do now.
LK5kids 09:22 PM 10-30-2017
One and up. I'm not a big fan of caring for infants. I will do 9 mo. & up. I love 1 -2's! Really like 3-5 best!
daycarediva 09:22 AM 10-31-2017
I haven't done infant care in over 8 years. 18m-5 years old or the summer before K only.

I run a play based program and have only lost one kid to UPK. So far, so good here!
Tags:infant care, infant care - no longer providing
Reply Up