Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Insurance for transporting?
Play Care 03:45 AM 08-07-2014
For those who offer transportation, what do you do for vehicle insurance?

I have a policy for my dc, but it is just for the property.
DaveA 04:17 AM 08-07-2014
It's been years since we did it. It was an addition to either the daycare policy or auto. I can't remember which. Talk to the company with dc policy. Standard auto insurance won't cover transporting other's children for commercial purposes (daycare).
lovemykidstoo 04:54 AM 08-07-2014
You are so smart to check this out. I hear and see so many transporting children thinking that they are covered with their regular insurance and they are NOT! I don't transport because my insurance rate would be over the moon high. Good luck!
Play Care 05:51 AM 08-07-2014
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
You are so smart to check this out. I hear and see so many transporting children thinking that they are covered with their regular insurance and they are NOT! I don't transport because my insurance rate would be over the moon high. Good luck!
Ugh, it's kind of a catch 22 for me. The last few clients I've gained have been specifically because I will transport to preschool - it's a mile from my house and fairly convenient. Otherwise, I don't really offer transportation services, KWIM? But of course the multi-billion dollar insurance agencies want to squeeze every last buck off customers.
lovemykidstoo 06:40 AM 08-07-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Ugh, it's kind of a catch 22 for me. The last few clients I've gained have been specifically because I will transport to preschool - it's a mile from my house and fairly convenient. Otherwise, I don't really offer transportation services, KWIM? But of course the multi-billion dollar insurance agencies want to squeeze every last buck off customers.
Insurance companies suck!! They won't care that you're only going a mile either. They will rip you off. At least though you're being smart about it though and protecting yourself in case something were to happen.
MOM OF 4 11:44 AM 08-07-2014
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Insurance companies suck!! They won't care that you're only going a mile either. They will rip you off. At least though you're being smart about it though and protecting yourself in case something were to happen.
LOL OK SOME suck. lol I work for one that won't even write for childcare/transportation due to the risk.

Sure, you might only go one mile,

but as a licensed adult, you have the capability of going all over town. An insurer cannot be 'guaranteed' you are going to ONLY go x miles per day, because they cannot restrict you that way.

The risk of accidents are SO GREAT for ANYONE driving, just due to exposure alone, that insurers charge quite a bit because of that. It does stink, but if you're the one insuring someone who had 6 kids who all died in a major car accident, you would see it differently. Sometimes, there just isn't a way to appropriately cover these kinds of losses, especially in the cases where severe injury, disability or even death occur. In other words, we can't put a dollar amount on it.

So we, at my company, don't even insure it. We don't want to hurt our business by having to charge insane premiums for this kind of risk.
daycare 11:50 AM 08-07-2014
I have state farm and I love the policy they have on allowing me to transport the kids.

as long as I can prove that I don't use my vehilce for more than %50 of business use then I don't have to obtain commercial insurance.

other insurance companies do not have this policy and will force you to obatin commercial insurance
Play Care 12:11 PM 08-07-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
I have state farm and I love the policy they have on allowing me to transport the kids.

as long as I can prove that I don't use my vehilce for more than %50 of business use then I don't have to obtain commercial insurance.

other insurance companies do not have this policy and will force you to obatin commercial insurance
Good to know! I have State Farm as well. I'm just afraid to ask them about it so they don't raise my rates (or drop me) just because...
LysesKids 12:30 PM 08-07-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:

I love my state farm people; they will cover the daycare liability even as a license exempt as long as you stay within state limits (here it's 4); I don't transport, so that never came up, so glad to know that part is covered too.
Reply Up