Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Getting Children
daniellesweety1 05:14 AM 10-05-2015
Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can promote my daycare? I have absolutely no children and its beginning to look like I have to find something real quick for money. I've been trying to stick it out and pray things pick up but I've been getting calls for infants but no hits. I just don't know what to do anymore and its beginnings to become stressful. I have flyers, website, cards, craigslist.... I just don't know where else to put these things.

Also, how do you all work with vouchers? I have a family who has been in contact with me for the past couple weeks, however they get vouchers and they are switching to formal from informal. The thing is, I'm not taking the child until I receive the actual voucher. The mom called me this morning and asked how long before the child can start and I explained to her that I prefer to have the voucher first, so I can #1 know how much to charge her for copay and #2 ensure that I am in fact getting the voucher. I told her I can accept her after that, because the invoices will come to my house.

Any advice, suggestions, even suggestions for some types of part time jobs I can look into. I'll appreciate it.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks all
auntymimi 05:19 AM 10-05-2015
In my state assistance recipients have to add you as a provider onto their case and ccr&r will send you a letter stating that they qualify and for how much so you can figure out copays and such. Maybe you could call ccr&r? Not sure how your state handles those.
daniellesweety1 05:58 AM 10-05-2015
Originally Posted by auntymimi:
In my state assistance recipients have to add you as a provider onto their case and ccr&r will send you a letter stating that they qualify and for how much so you can figure out copays and such. Maybe you could call ccr&r? Not sure how your state handles those.
Yes I had one voucher child that had a higher copay because she lived in the county and I'm city. This child is city so the rates will be higher, however I'm not sure what the max will be for her infant. I'll try to look up their contact number online. Thanks
LysesKids 05:59 AM 10-05-2015
Originally Posted by daniellesweety1:
Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can promote my daycare? I have absolutely no children and its beginning to look like I have to find something real quick for money. I've been trying to stick it out and pray things pick up but I've been getting calls for infants but no hits. I just don't know what to do anymore and its beginnings to become stressful. I have flyers, website, cards, craigslist.... I just don't know where else to put these things.

Also, how do you all work with vouchers? I have a family who has been in contact with me for the past couple weeks, however they get vouchers and they are switching to formal from informal. The thing is, I'm not taking the child until I receive the actual voucher. The mom called me this morning and asked how long before the child can start and I explained to her that I prefer to have the voucher first, so I can #1 know how much to charge her for copay and #2 ensure that I am in fact getting the voucher. I told her I can accept her after that, because the invoices will come to my house.

Any advice, suggestions, even suggestions for some types of part time jobs I can look into. I'll appreciate it.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks all
Never take a client without voucher paper in hand.... also you not only have to worry about copay, but is there a difference on what you charge & the state will pay? If copay & state amounts don't add up to what you charge, get it in writing that mom understands she is responsible for difference. Also make sure she understands late fees & such are her responsibility also - the state won't pay for late pick ups or overtime.

I do nothing but infants and advertise as such... it's a niche for sure, but some people like that older kids won't be around the littles - or go for the before & after crowd only & work PT during school hours... explain that you aren't available on days schools are closed due to other obligations. How long have you been advertising/open? it can takes months to get kids in - also make sure you aren't overpricing for the area - MD goes from one extreme to the other dependent on area ( I grew up there, I understand)
daniellesweety1 06:13 AM 10-05-2015
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
Never take a client without voucher paper in hand.... also you not only have to worry about copay, but is there a difference on what you charge & the state will pay? If copay & state amounts don't add up to what you charge, get it in writing that mom understands she is responsible for difference. Also make sure she understands late fees & such are her responsibility also - the state won't pay for late pick ups or overtime.

I do nothing but infants and advertise as such... it's a niche for sure, but some people like that older kids won't be around the littles - or go for the before & after crowd only & work PT during school hours... explain that you aren't available on days schools are closed due to other obligations. How long have you been advertising/open? it can takes months to get kids in - also make sure you aren't overpricing for the area - MD goes from one extreme to the other dependent on area ( I grew up there, I understand)

Oh Yes, I already told her I will not be taking her child unless I have that actual voucher, she won't get a free ride off me lol. Yes once I find out what they are paying for her child then I'm going to put her weekly fee on her contracts. I don't even want infants really, but I'll take them. This child is 9months so it isn't too bad. The smaller ones scare me lol. I had a great summer, I was completely full but a few when to school and then unfortunately things just started happening with other families and some of my families lived far so I knew eventually they would be leaving me. SO now I'm back to zero again. I did do research before I came up with my prices and I went with the price of in between all those in my area. Its been over a year now, I never stopped advertising, but now I just don't know where to go and what to do.
LysesKids 06:46 AM 10-05-2015
Oh Yes, I already told her I will not be taking her child unless I have that actual voucher, she won't get a free ride off me lol. Yes once I find out what they are paying for her child then I'm going to put her weekly fee on her contracts. I don't even want infants really, but I'll take them. This child is 9months so it isn't too bad. The smaller ones scare me lol. I had a great summer, I was completely full but a few when to school and then unfortunately things just started happening with other families and some of my families lived far so I knew eventually they would be leaving me. SO now I'm back to zero again. I did do research before I came up with my prices and I went with the price of in between all those in my area. Its been over a year now, I never stopped advertising, but now I just don't know where to go and what to do.
What sets you apart from other providers? Do you cook organic? Have a different style preschool type curriculum? Something about your childcare needs to be unique compared to other childcare homes by you. Hold an open house (with beverages & crafts for kiddies) one Saturday between say between 9am-noon that you can show off to groups & have a brochure to give out listing basics - I wouldn't be giving out all the paperwork to everyone because it's a waste if they truly aren't interested, but have some folders ready just in case.

Offer Drop-in childcare on Football weekends if you are near a College & it's a home game (families still have to pre register, but it's something that has worked for me in the fall and I get 10 extra a day for fewer hours lol)
daniellesweety1 06:55 AM 10-05-2015
What sets you apart from other providers? Do you cook organic? Have a different style preschool type curriculum? Something about your childcare needs to be unique compared to other childcare homes by you. Hold an open house (with beverages & crafts for kiddies) one Saturday between say between 9am-noon that you can show off to groups & have a brochure to give out listing basics - I wouldn't be giving out all the paperwork to everyone because it's a waste if they truly aren't interested, but have some folders ready just in case.

Offer Drop-in childcare on Football weekends if you are near a College & it's a home game (families still have to pre register, but it's something that has worked for me in the fall and I get 10 extra a day for fewer hours lol)
I'll work out the brochures for sure because I surely give those out(do you know any DIY sites to make some). I'll try to come up with some key points it too. A lot of my families love how involved I am and how family orientated I am with them. I'm really big on feeling like their family is mine because I can't function with just the professional side lol. They do know I am very strict about my money other than that I'm laid back. Weekends aren't a go for me because I do have a 6 year old and she needs her mommy.
Second Home 07:00 AM 10-05-2015
I don't accept vouchers ( too many extra hoops to jump through ...) so I am no help there.

I have found quite a few daycare pages on facebook .Just a few - Maryland daycare providers who care , Maryland licensed daycare providers and there are even some by county . I would check and sign up for those groups as you can list your openings and there are parents who advertise when they need childcare.
daniellesweety1 07:23 AM 10-05-2015
Originally Posted by Second Home:
I don't accept vouchers ( too many extra hoops to jump through ...) so I am no help there.

I have found quite a few daycare pages on facebook .Just a few - Maryland daycare providers who care , Maryland licensed daycare providers and there are even some by county . I would check and sign up for those groups as you can list your openings and there are parents who advertise when they need childcare.
YESSSSSSS I post on them all the time lol. I just need 3 children to start and I'd have a few bucks lol. Gosh I don't know what to do and how this works lol I don't know if I can go through this all the time lol. I just need some long term families.
LysesKids 07:24 AM 10-05-2015
I'll work out the brochures for sure because I surely give those out(do you know any DIY sites to make some). I'll try to come up with some key points it too. A lot of my families love how involved I am and how family orientated I am with them. I'm really big on feeling like their family is mine because I can't function with just the professional side lol. They do know I am very strict about my money other than that I'm laid back. Weekends aren't a go for me because I do have a 6 year old and she needs her mommy.
I understand kids need mommy, but it's a 2-3 hr one time thing that could get you clients and it's not like she couldn't do a craft also (was an idea)... sometimes you have to give to get. You could always tie business cards to halloween treats too. My youngest grew up in my childcare home - i'm 15+ in now & all my own kids are grown & gone (Most my family is still in MD)
daniellesweety1 07:37 AM 10-05-2015
I understand kids need mommy, but it's a 2-3 hr one time thing that could get you clients and it's not like she couldn't do a craft also (was an idea)... sometimes you have to give to get. You could always tie business cards to halloween treats too. My youngest grew up in my childcare home - i'm 15+ in now & all my own kids are grown & gone (Most my family is still in MD)
Yesss totally missed the part thats once in a blue type thing lol. Yea a weekend here and there isn't too bad. We are literally gone most weekends due to the fact she's in here all the time during the week. She's my little helper even though she gets in her moods where she wants every gone . That is such a great idea, I was going to put 3 baskets of candy on my porch this year since I'll be out, but I'm definitely going to find some type of way to put my cards or maybe create labels to stick on some of the candy. Thank YOUUUUUUUUU so much for that idea. It never even crossed my mind. This is why I love this site.
Second Home 07:41 AM 10-05-2015
Also many grocery and convenience stores have a board where you can post flyers , business cards and things like that .

What county / town / city are you in . If I hear of someone needing care in that area I could pass along your name , just pm me the info.
daniellesweety1 07:55 AM 10-05-2015
Also many grocery and convenience stores have a board where you can post flyers , business cards and things like that .
I post in my markets around here all the time. I got most calls from there or my website and some craigslist. Im just heading out now to post more.
Thanks for all your help
Pepperth 01:21 PM 10-05-2015
I was able to get my first family through a Facebook group and by opening at 5:45 for them. Once I got the first family, it was easier to get a few more. I discovered I was able to earn a third of my income for the first half of a year after opening by accepting drop in clients ( scheduled at least 24 hours in advance). Maybe advertise that on Facebook groups and see if you can just start generating an income.
SilverSabre25 01:26 PM 10-05-2015
Facebook has been my saving grace recently. Prior to recently it was almost 100% Craigslist. Then, I quit advertising there because the people were flaky, never coming to interviews, or horrible clients if they signed up. Spent a couple years running seriously low and then starting making myself known in some active local facebook groups, both of the BST (buy sell trade) variety and the "mom" variety. It was a growing process of getting "known" in there before I started advertising my daycare. For a couple months I was responded to EVERY person saying they needed child care recommendations. Finally in the space of 2 weeks I got 2 new kids, putting me at full for the first time in 3 years. So it wouldn't hurt to try FB if you have active local mom groups.
Unregistered 06:10 AM 10-11-2015
Sounds you've got most avenues for advertising covered. It's true tho. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. Do you need to start out with longer hours, take school age before and after school, adjust prices, etc.? I don't know if any of those things can be adjusted. I say take a look at those kind of things at least.

Years ago I had to be open longer, take two kids Sat. Morning, and be open till six on Friday night for two families. i also took one infant and one toddler even tho I would have preferred two and up. I was happy to work these hours because I needed the $$$. I did have a large dedicated DC space. I could have never done this right in my living room.

Now I'm open two hours less, take kids one and up, and would never do a Sat.

The only other advertising I have is a magnetic car sign from Vista Print.
Unregistered 06:14 AM 10-11-2015
Oh yes, I do lots with FB too!
Thriftylady 06:15 AM 10-11-2015
I restarted a year ago and it is hard to get families in my area. Many people here just don't seem to want to pay for childcare. I agree that you may have to take some less prime hours for awhile. I am doing that right now, but I have an awesome family from it, and had one this summer that needed odd hours that was temporary from the start. I am finding the odd hours to be somewhat worth it.
NillaWafers 07:47 PM 10-11-2015
I had to lower my prices quite a bit before I got my first kid. It also took like 2-3 months. Once I had my first kid it snowballed from there and two months later I was full. In January I will be raising my rates to be more reflective of my program. I found all my kids through a moms swap in my area.
daniellesweety1 07:50 AM 10-12-2015

What county / town / city are you in . If I hear of someone needing care in that area I could pass along your name , just pm me the info.
I PM'd you, Thanks. and disregard the last part about speaking with you. It was someone else. lol! I looked through my messages.
daniellesweety1 07:51 AM 10-12-2015
Originally Posted by Pepperth:
I was able to get my first family through a Facebook group and by opening at 5:45 for them. Once I got the first family, it was easier to get a few more. I discovered I was able to earn a third of my income for the first half of a year after opening by accepting drop in clients ( scheduled at least 24 hours in advance). Maybe advertise that on Facebook groups and see if you can just start generating an income.
I'll advertise for drop ins as well. Thanks for that. Do you have a contract for that and how does it work as for as medical forms and things for Drop-Ins?
daniellesweety1 07:54 AM 10-12-2015
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Facebook has been my saving grace recently. Prior to recently it was almost 100% Craigslist. Then, I quit advertising there because the people were flaky, never coming to interviews, or horrible clients if they signed up. Spent a couple years running seriously low and then starting making myself known in some active local facebook groups, both of the BST (buy sell trade) variety and the "mom" variety. It was a growing process of getting "known" in there before I started advertising my daycare. For a couple months I was responded to EVERY person saying they needed child care recommendations. Finally in the space of 2 weeks I got 2 new kids, putting me at full for the first time in 3 years. So it wouldn't hurt to try FB if you have active local mom groups.
I do post a lot on FB, I need to see if I can find other local mom groups in MD. I'm going to look into that today. Craigslist was ok but now I do get some strange emails from ppl that I don't ever respond to. Thanks again for your help as well.
daniellesweety1 07:58 AM 10-12-2015
Originally Posted by NillaWafers:
I had to lower my prices quite a bit before I got my first kid. It also took like 2-3 months. Once I had my first kid it snowballed from there and two months later I was full. In January I will be raising my rates to be more reflective of my program. I found all my kids through a moms swap in my area.
I have been considering changing my rates, but based on my area I'm in the middle of everyone lol so lower will be really low. I was actually thinking of lowering for based on the age range for infants. Like charge more for the really small ones and when they get to the 9-12 month mark go a little lower and then depending on how they are at the age of 12-18 months maybe offer a little lower until 2 and then my rates will be the regular rates for 2 and up. So I was playing around with that idea.

Does anyone else do that?
Unregistered 10:04 AM 10-13-2015
I post on care.com, accept drop-in care, have 24/7 availability (parents rarely use it, but they like to know it exists), make organic baby food until 12 months, roughly 75% organic for older kids, part of the food program, give two assessments per year, have pre-k education based upon the children's interests (for instance, little Judy likes building things, talk engineering and use magna-tiles, point out examples of architecture, etc., in a loosely based way), have a play-based daycare, etc.

Also, I make it known to parents that there are other families I am interviewing. The key phrase being "I am interviewing"...that lets them know they aren't interviewing me...this is a business, and I get to decide who is in my care. What do you know...that makes them more eager to join, and they are waiting on me to call the next day and say yes or no...especially for the under 2 category.

Make sure your house is nice, clean and organized. I set my daycare up to have no bright primary colors...instead it is in aqua, apple green and yellow with soft creams/tans....it appeals to the parents as well as the kids.
Unregistered 10:05 AM 10-13-2015
Also, I find out what the parents do for a living...if they are journalists, I talk about the books we read, and if they are scientists/engineers, I talk about the math and science experiments we have. The parents are looking for people like themselves to take care of their kids...it's really that simple.
Reply Up