Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>NOTHING for assistant
ck1997 05:25 AM 12-24-2013
It makes me so sad when a family shows up with a gift for me and nothing for my full time assistant (who by the way is AWESOME!) The kids love her, she is so friendly to all the parents that come in, she's never out sick, always here on time. REally? Like get her a card at least. So rude!!! To any parents that are reading this, please please please include your daycare ASSISTANTS to your Christmas list - even if something very tiny, it's the thought that counts!
KidGrind 05:33 AM 12-24-2013
Besides parents following your policies, being respectful and paying you on time I think it’s rude to expect them to get a gift for your assistant.

If you want your assistant to have a gift get them one. Of course it would’ve been great if they had gotten the assistant a gift. However, parents do not owe anyone a gift.
melskids 05:35 AM 12-24-2013
Every time someone handed me a gift, I would say "THANK YOU! (assistant) and I will love it!" Maybe they would get the hint.

ck1997 05:39 AM 12-24-2013
Let me clarify that I do NOT expect a gift for myself OR my assistant. But when a parent comes in and looks at me and says "HERE YOU GO, MERRY CHRISTMAS" and my poor assistant is sitting there with a blank awkward stare on her face......THAT is awkward

I also feel that when we are watching these kids for 60 hours a week and in most instances spending more time with them than their own families then YES something as simple as a $5.00 Merry Christmas card goes a long way.
GoodKarma 05:44 AM 12-24-2013
so sorry to hear this
cara041083 06:16 AM 12-24-2013
I think Im the Grinch because I don't do Christmas gifts or birthdays or anything like that. I would love to but I have 4 kids of my own and prefer to not get that started with all the DCK. Cause if you do for one, you have to do for all and I can't afford all that. That being said, Im sure the parents didn't mean to offend anyone. When my kids went to daycare, I got MY PROVIDER a Christmas gift. In my opinion, they hired you, not you and your assistant. You hired your assistant. They are probley assuming you gave your assistant some sort of gift or bonus for her work. Im sure they didn't do it on purpose.
ck1997 06:29 AM 12-24-2013
Without my assistant, I wouldn't be able to watch all of their children. She is just as responsible for their care and well being as I. She is here full time. I think even a Christmas card saying thank you (even hand made and virtually free) would go along away. IMO it's rather sad to openly walk in (in front of my assistant). And hand me a gift RIGHT IN FRONT OF HER, and not at least say Merry Christmas. At a minimum she should get a card, just ranting I'm sure there are many other views and opinions out there....
cara041083 06:38 AM 12-24-2013
Originally Posted by ck1997:
Without my assistant, I wouldn't be able to watch all of their children. She is just as responsible for their care and well being as I. She is here full time. I think even a Christmas card saying thank you (even hand made and virtually free) would go along away. IMO it's rather sad to openly walk in (in front of my assistant). And hand me a gift RIGHT IN FRONT OF HER, and not at least say Merry Christmas. At a minimum she should get a card, just ranting I'm sure there are many other views and opinions out there....
I 100% agree with you. She is with the kids just as much as you. Im just saying I don't think parents think of stuff like that. In there minds you are the provider. Just like my daughters teacher. I took a gift to the teacher and didn't even think to get the teachers Aid anything. (my daughter is in kindergarten so the aid is there all day) Its not that I was trying to be mean, I honestly didn't even think. So the next day I sent something with my daughter. Im just saying that even though your assistant is there just as much as you, they look at you as the provider. I don't think the parents are trying to be mean. If it bothers you then say something to the parents. Like " My assistant and I wish your family a marry Christmas" or something like that so they know they need to include her. Or hand out cards that are from the both of you.
sunlight 06:43 AM 12-24-2013
I can sure tell there are some differences of opinions regarding gifts. I actually agree with both sides. At my home daycare it is basically just me. All my families know I have a husband who works part of the time from home and they see him almost daily plus I have three kiddos of my own. Out of all my families, only two gave me a "gift" and two gave me some baked goods. The others nothing. My husband and I spent the last two weekends baking all our family secret recipes and handed out nicely packaged family treat bags. We had a blast doing it and everyone seemed to really enjoy their family gifts. In years past we used to buy a gift for each and every kiddo at our daycare. Only 1 or 2 families would get us anything. I've come to the point that to each his or her own. Most families think that they pay us and that should be enough. Others take it a step further and give out gifts whether store bought or hand made. I look at it like a sweet bonus to get anything at all and don't even expect anything. I am by nature a giver and like to show it. Others may not feel the same way.

I do think it is pretty bad manners at the very least not to at least acknowledge the assistant especially if they are always there. They may have hired you but the assistant is part of you in my opinion. I totally get were caring for their little ones for nearly 60 hours per week. ALL my parents have today off and everyone of them but 2 are coming in this morning for a half day so they can get there last minuet things done. And I am here for them. Only a couple said thank you the others seemed a little put out that I am closed for my vacation Thursday and Friday. BUT that's what keeps us in business!!

Merry Christmas everyone!
Laurel 07:35 AM 12-24-2013
Originally Posted by ck1997:
It makes me so sad when a family shows up with a gift for me and nothing for my full time assistant (who by the way is AWESOME!) The kids love her, she is so friendly to all the parents that come in, she's never out sick, always here on time. REally? Like get her a card at least. So rude!!! To any parents that are reading this, please please please include your daycare ASSISTANTS to your Christmas list - even if something very tiny, it's the thought that counts!
I think if they are going to give you something then they should remember her also. It is probably not intentional. They just didn't think about it.

I'm just wondering if you give the children gifts or does your assistant?

Laurel
ck1997 07:52 AM 12-24-2013
I did for years, but I have 11 kids here now and three of my own. We did lots of projects and baking, hand print ornaments and little
Gifts for them to give mom and dad.
Josiegirl 08:47 AM 12-24-2013
If I had been one of your dcparents, I would've included your assistant also. When my kids were in younger grades and their classes had aides, I always gave them a little something.
Shell 10:31 AM 12-24-2013
It probably wasn't intentional, but it would have been nice for the families to think of her, especially if she is there that many hours a week, and is such a huge part of your program. A card would have been a nice gesture, a little box of candy, anything to show that she is appreciated, as you are.

When I was in high school and working as an assistant at a center many years ago, a few of the parents would get me a little something. I can still remember which parents remembered me, and it didn't matter what the gift was, just that they remembered was what was touching.
Naptime yet? 11:18 AM 12-24-2013
One of my dcfs didn't give me anything (not even a verbal "thank you"),
but gave my dds a gift...shoe on the other foot, gave my "assistants" a gift, but not me
Laurel 11:59 AM 12-24-2013
Originally Posted by Naptime yet?:
One of my dcfs didn't give me anything (not even a verbal "thank you"),
but gave my dds a gift...shoe on the other foot, gave my "assistants" a gift, but not me
That is too weird.

Laurel
Unregistered 03:00 PM 12-24-2013
I gave my DCP $50 in cash (I'm not much of a personalizer!!!) and also a week's pay with NO kids! I didn't think to include the husband. He's not a "provider" per se, but he does play with the kids. From the kids, they made an ornament with their names on It and gave to her with some chocolate. I kinda feel bad we didn't include him, now.
Lorri 05:00 PM 12-24-2013
Out of 12 parents I had 7 to remember and only 3 remember my assistant
Reply Up