Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sewing for toddlers
Laurel 05:14 AM 03-27-2014
I have to sew a button on my husband's pants and stitch up a seam by hand on a blouse of mine so was wondering if the two toddlers I have today could do some 'sewing' with me. I am looking for easy ideas. I have a two and a half year old and three year old. I am not much on sewing (just simple things).

I have lacing boards which they haven't used in a while. I have yarn needles (somewhere, lol), yarn, and this plastic stuff used for some kind of craft. I'm not sure what it is but it can be cut into shapes and a yarn needle can go through the holes. I have ribbon, string, etc.

Any ideas for really simple or even pretend sewing. They do love to take pins in and out of the pin cushion so that might be an activity in itself.

Any ideas?

Laurel

P.S. They can use safety scissors. They are both pretty competent with them.
Cradle2crayons 05:18 AM 03-27-2014
Originally Posted by Laurel:
I have to sew a button on my husband's pants and stitch up a seam by hand on a blouse of mine so was wondering if the two toddlers I have today could do some 'sewing' with me. I am looking for easy ideas. I have a two and a half year old and three year old. I am not much on sewing (just simple things).

I have lacing boards which they haven't used in a while. I have yarn needles (somewhere, lol), yarn, and this plastic stuff used for some kind of craft. I'm not sure what it is but it can be cut into shapes and a yarn needle can go through the holes. I have ribbon, string, etc.

Any ideas for really simple or even pretend sewing. They do love to take pins in and out of the pin cushion so that might be an activity in itself.

Any ideas?

Laurel

P.S. They can use safety scissors. They are both pretty competent with them.
When my daughter was two she was fascinated with the sewing machine but her favorite thing to do was when I was sewing and took the pens out of the fabric, she would put them back in the pin cushion for me lol.
melskids 07:15 AM 03-27-2014
Mine like to sew yarn in to burlap. I use an embroidery hoop to hold the burlap tight.
SilverSabre25 07:23 AM 03-27-2014
yarn and needle into lacing board. yarn and needle into the plastic canvas stuff. they'll love it!
Laurel 09:23 AM 03-27-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
When my daughter was two she was fascinated with the sewing machine but her favorite thing to do was when I was sewing and took the pens out of the fabric, she would put them back in the pin cushion for me lol.
Yep, my granddaughter too. Maybe I should pick up another pin cushion. It might also teach them to be careful and precise so they don't get stuck

Laurel
Laurel 09:24 AM 03-27-2014
Originally Posted by melskids:
Mine like to sew yarn in to burlap. I use an embroidery hoop to hold the burlap tight.
I have also done that in the past. I don't think I have any burlap at the moment though.

Laurel
Laurel 09:25 AM 03-27-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
yarn and needle into lacing board. yarn and needle into the plastic canvas stuff. they'll love it!
This is what I'll probably do as I should have all that on hand. What is that plastic canvas stuff really for anyway? I just bought it to do exactly as you suggested a long time ago.

Laurel
Reply Up