Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Driving Me Nuts!
lovemykidstoo 05:53 AM 10-02-2018
The 5 month old that is only happy when he's in the swing. I put him in bed, he screams, I put him in an infant seat, he screams, lay him on the floor, he screams. I ask mom and dad ( I had their other child, he went to school), where he naps at home. In the swing. ugh. I told them, he has to start sleeping in his bed during nap at home or this isn't going to work. I cannot allow him to nap in a swing.
amberrose3dg 06:02 AM 10-02-2018
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
The 5 month old that is only happen when he's in the swing. I put him in bed, he screams, I put him in an infant seat, he screams, lay him on the floor, he screams. I ask mom and dad ( I had their other child, he went to school), where he naps at home. In the swing. ugh. I told them, he has to start sleeping in his bed during nap at home or this isn't going to work. I cannot allow him to nap in a swing.
This is why i wont take anymore infants especially that young. Parents develop bad habits and they are hard to break!
lovemykidstoo 06:07 AM 10-02-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
This is why i wont take anymore infants especially that young. Parents develop bad habits and they are hard to break!
I wish I didn't have to, but if you don't take infants here, you rarely get anyone else. Everyone switches to preschool at 3 because it's cheaper. I just do not understand why you would start that habit of having him sleep in a swing. I just put him in the back bedroom. He's fed, diapered, exhausted and is not happy about the bed, but he has to get used to it here. Ridiculous. What the heck are they going to do when he's too big for the swing?
Blackcat31 06:11 AM 10-02-2018
What the heck are they going to do when he's too big for the swing?
I have a friend that let her child sleep in a swing beyond age 2. He was way too big for the swing but since it was the only way he would/could sleep they stuffed him in it....

Your area must not have an infant shortage at all....

Providers here get multiple infant calls daily so if one infant wasn't working out due to unsafe sleep habits or whatever, terming and filling the space with an infant who does sleep well according to safe sleep wouldn't be an issue.

Until this becomes a problem for the family you know it's now going to change.
lovemykidstoo 06:15 AM 10-02-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have a friend that let her child sleep in a swing beyond age 2. He was way too big for the swing but since it was the only way he would/could sleep they stuffed him in it....

Your area must not have an infant shortage at all....

Providers here get multiple infant calls daily so if one infant wasn't working out due to unsafe sleep habits or whatever, terming and filling the space with an infant who does sleep well according to safe sleep wouldn't be an issue.

Until this becomes a problem for the family you know it's now going to change.
Oh my gosh until 2? That's insane. I probably get infant calls ever 3 months. He comes 3 days a week, so he's just going to have to holler in his bed. He's not sleeping in the swing here. I'm just going to keep harping on the parents every time he comes.
Ariana 06:19 AM 10-02-2018
It looks like you will have to sleep train him and tell the parents you have to do it and they have to stop putting him in a swing at home. It is terrible when parents feel that not dealing with issues before a kid starts daycare is the way to go but unfrotunately parents rarely care about what is good for baby....only what is convenient for them.

Hopefully you can get the ball rolling on this and start some healthy and safe sleep habits for the family.
LittleExplorers 07:26 AM 10-02-2018
I wish I didn't have to, but if you don't take infants here, you rarely get anyone else. Everyone switches to preschool at 3 because it's cheaper. I just do not understand why you would start that habit of having him sleep in a swing. I just put him in the back bedroom. He's fed, diapered, exhausted and is not happy about the bed, but he has to get used to it here. Ridiculous. What the heck are they going to do when he's too big for the swing?

They will wait until you have the hard work done. The little one will learn your rules/ how to sleep safely at your house over time. I also do not have an infant shortage in my area and while I tell parents they need to do it at home, the only one I ever had an issues with sleep lied about it anyway. Hint to parents, your non-private Facebook reveals a lot.
storybookending 08:04 AM 10-02-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I was about to comment “at least at 5 months he should be growing out of it soon” and then I read this. Did it even swing with that much weight in it? That’s crazy. My last infant started at 6 months and I didn’t even get any baby equipment out when he started. Actually my rockaroo and my swing are at my friends house right now for their infant. I’m being very picky about ever taking on an infant again. I prefer to only take infant of already enrolled families if I can swing it. There is an infant shortage here though. There’s 3 centers that have opened/will open this Fall though so we will see if that changes anything. From the sounds of it all of the infant spaces are full in at least two of the 3 places and only one has actually opened.
lovemykidstoo 08:17 AM 10-02-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
I was about to comment “at least at 5 months he should be growing out of it soon” and then I read this. Did it even swing with that much weight in it? That’s crazy. My last infant started at 6 months and I didn’t even get any baby equipment out when he started. Actually my rockaroo and my swing are at my friends house right now for their infant. I’m being very picky about ever taking on an infant again. I prefer to only take infant of already enrolled families if I can swing it. There is an infant shortage here though. There’s 3 centers that have opened/will open this Fall though so we will see if that changes anything. From the sounds of it all of the infant spaces are full in at least two of the 3 places and only one has actually opened.
This is the thing, usually by 5 months they're starting to be interested in other things. I just put him in my infant activity chair and that lasted 5 minutes. He started screaming. He acts like a 6 week old honestly.
Blackcat31 08:49 AM 10-02-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
Well I can say infant equipment today is NOTHING like the infant equipment around when my kiddos were young.

Everything has become cheap and disposable now.
daycarediva 10:33 AM 10-02-2018
We have infant shortages (2 and under count as infants in ratios) and I still refuse to take them. Too many bad habits to break. I get a minimum of 1 call a day for infant care.
Kimskiddos 06:45 AM 10-03-2018
Last year I switched to birth to 2.5/3. Plenty of infants, my city is booming. Most of my new client contacts are from email or messenger. I reply with this message

Thank you for your interest in my program!
I have a couple of questions

How old is your child?

Has baby been in child care before?

What are the days/hours you are going to need?

Is baby breast fed? If yes, can baby drink from a bottle?
Baby must be able to successfully feed from bottles before starting care.

How is baby put to sleep? ie. in crib, held/rocked, with parents, in a swing or bouncy? - I have to use safe sleep practices for baby and so will need to sleep on back in baby bed/portable crib without blankets, toys etc (I use sleep sacks for winter time sleep).

Hope to hear back from you. Then we can discuss rates and setting up a tour.

How they respond helps me decide whether to move forward with an interview or not. So far it's been very helpful in weeding out a lot of the bad habits.

Also, all these questions I learned from all you knowledgeable ladies! So thanks
lovemykidstoo 06:58 AM 10-16-2018
This thread I started 2 weeks ago and I"m still living in hell. I asked mom today again today as she brought him in his car seat and he was sleeping, where does he sleep at night. Well it's 50% in his bed and 50% in his swing. He's 6 months old nearly and he is sleeping in a swing at NIGHT? This blows my mind. Do people think bad things will not happen to them? This is a dad that wants me to buy purified water to mix the forumula but lets his child sleep in carseats and swings. We do not live in an area with water issues at all.
amberrose3dg 07:43 AM 10-16-2018
This thread I started 2 weeks ago and I"m still living in hell. I asked mom today again today as she brought him in his car seat and he was sleeping, where does he sleep at night. Well it's 50% in his bed and 50% in his swing. He's 6 months old nearly and he is sleeping in a swing at NIGHT? This blows my mind. Do people think bad things will not happen to them? This is a dad that wants me to buy purified water to mix the forumula but lets his child sleep in carseats and swings. We do not live in an area with water issues at all.
That is pretty scary in my opinion.
Unregistered 07:45 AM 10-16-2018
I had the same situation....after first week I suggested they ask pediatrician about changing to soy formula...very gassy..and alot of spit up. Changing formula helped...however they had been holding him all the time due to his discomfort....and by 5 months all he wanted was to be held...especially to go to sleep. After a month...I.couldnt take the screaming anymore...
IMHO...parents will do what works for them.
Tags:5 month old, confinement equipment, swings
Reply Up