Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Part Time Family Not Quite Getting How Daycare Works
Indoorvoice 05:07 AM 08-30-2018
One of my part time families pays for 3 days a week but gave me a schedule of all the days they would use care through October and sometimes they only have 2 days that they want care. However, it's been happening more frequently that they will just show up for all 3 days anyway even when it's not on the schedule they gave me. I have no problem with them using the care they pay for, but do you make them go by the schedule they give you or do you just always keep those 3 days available for them? This is the 4th time now where I thought I had no daycare kids coming today and would do something with my own kids and they come knocking on my door. I let them in because technically they paid for it and it is theirs and they are a very good family otherwise. Should I make them adhere to the schedule they give me or should I make them communicate better about what days they need or do I just plan on being open on the days they reserved whether their schedule says they're coming or not?
Ac114 05:10 AM 08-30-2018
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
One of my part time families pays for 3 days a week but gave me a schedule of all the days they would use care through October and sometimes they only have 2 days that they want care. However, it's been happening more frequently that they will just show up for all 3 days anyway even when it's not on the schedule they gave me. I have no problem with them using the care they pay for, but do you make them go by the schedule they give you or do you just always keep those 3 days available for them? This is the 4th time now where I thought I had no daycare kids coming today and would do something with my own kids and they come knocking on my door. I let them in because technically they paid for it and it is theirs and they are a very good family otherwise. Should I make them adhere to the schedule they give me or should I make them communicate better about what days they need or do I just plan on being open on the days they reserved whether their schedule says they're coming or not?

I would absolutely make them go by the schedule they gave you. Obviously you made other plans and no amount of money is worth being trapped at my house and cancelling my day with my children. I use to be the same as you but it got old fast. Maybe they can send you a text the night before making sure it’s still ok but to just show up is rude.
LysesKids 05:40 AM 08-30-2018
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
I have PT/Drop-in stick to set days, no changing weekly. You have a rotating schedule you must sign FT regardless. I have limited spaces and I plan my OFF time around schedules. I also tell clients they don't show with in 30 minutes of time they set, I they have to find other care for the day if I closed or went out because they didn't let me know they would be late
Cat Herder 05:55 AM 08-30-2018
"do you make them go by the schedule they give you or do you just always keep those 3 days available for them?"

I would be available for the days they contracted and paid for. I also would not allow them to switch days during the week.

When I offered part-time slots I only had two options; M+W+F or T+TH. It was splitting up one slot. Anything else takes up a full-time slot at part-time rates.

Now they pay one rate and are welcome to attend as often or as little as they like. No schedules required.
Snowmom 06:03 AM 08-30-2018
Why not have a quick conversation?

"Family, I've noticed that after you send me your schedule in advance, you have changed your plans and showed up on days you told me you didn't need care. I'm going to ask that going forward, please adhere to the schedule you've given me so that I can plan out meals and activities with enough supplies as well as plan my own schedule. Thanks so much."
Mike 06:18 AM 08-30-2018
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
Why not have a quick conversation?

"Family, I've noticed that after you send me your schedule in advance, you have changed your plans and showed up on days you told me you didn't need care. I'm going to ask that going forward, please adhere to the schedule you've given me so that I can plan out meals and activities with enough supplies as well as plan my own schedule. Thanks so much."

and since the days are paid for, I might add: "If you decide to come on days that weren't planned, I need 48 hours notice so I can be properly prepared."
Ariana 11:01 AM 08-30-2018
They obviously want the care they have paid for and feel like they can drop the kids off whenever. I would ask them if they want 3 days of care each week because that means we will need to revisit the contract. Explain that you offer a flexible schedule but charge for 3 days for THEIR convenience. It is a convenience charge. If they want 3 days rotating days they will need to pay more. Explain how ratios work and how you need to know when kids are here so you can take on more kids in the future.
ellen211 01:41 AM 08-31-2018
Try to talk to them about this matter. You can tell them that it's okay for them to come not on the said days but they have to inform you a day ahead so you can also prepare and change some plans.
Tags:part time, part time policy
Reply Up