Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would you call parents?
justgettingstarted 11:23 AM 08-07-2012
DCB had a major diaper blow out and completely soiled his onesie. I don't have a change of clothes for him. I noted this on his care report yesterday and told DCD at pick up but he didn't bring a change of clothes this morning. It's plenty warm enough for him to hang out in his diaper all day but was wondering what you all do in this situation? I think I'm just annoyed that they know the huggies don't work for him (he leaks nearly every time he poops) and they have switched to pampers at home but brought me the last of the huggies to use up here.
lil angels 11:27 AM 08-07-2012
I have this happen with one of my dcb a lot. He is 6 months and poops through a couple times a day. I will put an over size tshirt of my sons on him if need be. If it is warm enough I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe they will remember if they have to pick up a naked child.
missjenny 11:36 AM 08-07-2012
I would not call but at pick up I would say that dcb cannot return to care until he has proper fitting diapers and two change of clothes. I would also give them back the huggies.
Sugar Magnolia 11:41 AM 08-07-2012
I have an extra clothes bin. Sometimes it gets too full of extra clothes, parents donate stuff. When that happens, I just tell the parents to keep the clothes.
Not to hijack, but I had this exact situation yesterday.....blowout, her extra clothes were used up, so I went to the bin and dressed her. At pick up, I told dad I had too many extra clothes in my bin and he could keep the outfit. As I am saying this, he is undressing her and handing me back the outfit. Single dad, struggling to make ends meet. I think I insulted him. This girl wears the same 3 outfits a lot. She is clean and the clothes are worn, but clean. I feel bad. I just wanted to help.
DaisyMamma 11:42 AM 08-07-2012
Originally Posted by missjenny:
I would not call but at pick up I would say that dcb cannot return to care until he has proper fitting diapers and two change of clothes. I would also give them back the huggies.

And make sure he goes home in just a diaper.
vickivaliant 11:47 AM 08-07-2012
I bought a few different sized t shirts for that very reason, you can buy them on a clearence rack anytime. I would put one of these on the child, call the parents to let them know that he doesn't have any clothes in his bag and you have a t shirt on them but require they launder it and return it the next day. When they return the next day, I would look in the bag to make sure their is a change of clothing, if not tell them he cannot stay until they refill the bag. I have had this happen so many times that I had to do this! I have one little girl that will have the same dirty clothes in their bag for months unless I gripe!
Blackcat31 11:54 AM 08-07-2012
I don't keep extra clothing for DCK's. Parents are required to have a spare set in their child's basket.

If they had none, the child would simply go home in a diaper.

I prefer not to borrow/loan any thing out as it enables parents to not provide the necessary supplies.

I have even had parents in the past ask to borrow things from someone else's baskets.

I used to keep spares but they either never made it back to me or I had to go chasing them down. NOT worth my time or effort when spare clothing for a child under age 5 is a necessity and parent's are completely capable of supplying the things their child needs during the day.

Not a huge issue for me and not one worth making a fuss over. If child is comfy in the diaper he is in, then he will be fine til pick up.
cheerfuldom 11:57 AM 08-07-2012
I dont keep extra clothing for daycare use. I would be fine keeping a baby in a diaper if necessary just for the day but they would not be able to drop off the next morning without handing over extra clothing first.
cheerfuldom 11:58 AM 08-07-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't keep extra clothing for DCK's. Parents are required to have a spare set in their child's basket.

If they had none, the child would simply go home in a diaper.

I prefer not to borrow/loan any thing out as it enables parents to not provide the necessary supplies.

I have even had parents in the past ask to borrow things from someone else's baskets.

I used to keep spares but they either never made it back to me or I had to go chasing them down. NOT worth my time or effort when spare clothing for a child under age 5 is a necessity and parent's are completely capable of supplying the things their child needs during the day.

Not a huge issue for me and not one worth making a fuss over. If child is comfy in the diaper he is in, then he will be fine til pick up.
agreed! If I start keeping extras here, parents start using them and then complaining if I dont have extra of a particular item or size. Its a slippery slope.
sharlan 12:29 PM 08-07-2012
I would hand the parents the bag of diapers that don't work along with the soiled clothes.

As for the no clothes, I would send the child home in only the diaper. I rarely use the extras in the cubbies and one of my littles had a blowout and all of her extras were long sleeved and long pants. It was 98* outside and I wasn't about to put them on her. Parents changed out her cubby the next day.
youretooloud 12:33 PM 08-07-2012
Originally Posted by missjenny:
This is what I would do too.
MaritimeMummy 12:41 PM 08-07-2012
This has happened to me before. This parent was best to be reached during the day by email. I emailed her and said DCG has no spare clothing and that she can either go home in a diaper or she can bring something for her to go home in. I told her that I'd put something of my daughter's on until she got there, and then I'd take it off when she was picked up.

DCM brought clothes for her to wear home as well as spares for the box. Which was funny because until that point, my pleas for her to bring spare clothing was unheeded. Took a threat of being sent home in a diaper for her to get the message. Sad!
Sunchimes 12:54 PM 08-07-2012
I have tons of spare little girl clothes from birth through size 4 that I've picked up at yard sales for a quarter or so. Little short on baby boy things-I bought up to size 9 mo, but at 6 months, he's already in 12 mon. I need to hit another sale soon or I will have to start putting him in pink. I just don't want the hassle of reminding them over and over. Most have brought them, but they outgrow them before I use them or they are out of season.

Ok, I really don't like the hassle, but here's the truth--I love buying kid size clothes and none of my grandkids are kids any more. If they bring them in play clothes and we decide to go out to lunch, I can pull out one of my cute outfits and change them. Sometimes, I send a cute outfit home in the diaper bag, just as a gift. Both of my moms love hand-me-downs and yard sales, and they take it in the spirit it is meant. If they wear it home and it comes back, fine, if not, that's fine too.

Of course, I just have 2 kids (usually 3, but I lost one last week) so I can afford to treat this issue casually. If I had 6 or 8 kids, I would be tougher.
Springdaze 12:54 PM 08-07-2012
I would call and let them know though.
Country Kids 01:14 PM 08-07-2012
I require 5 sets of clothes to be left here. When we come in from outside, we change before lunch and get into nice clean clothes. I then wash the outfit I took off of them and then it goes back up into their sets of clothes. I'm never without clothes!
crazydaycarelady 01:41 PM 08-07-2012
I wouldn't call for something like that, parents are working and I try not to call them unless absolutely necessary. I have gotten some extra clothes, including socks, at garage sales to keep here. If you really want to "force" the parents to bring an extra set of clothes then send the child home in a pink sweatsuit for a boy, etc.
Blackcat31 01:45 PM 08-07-2012
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
I wouldn't call for something like that, parents are working and I try not to call them unless absolutely necessary. I have gotten some extra clothes, including socks, at garage sales to keep here. If you really want to "force" the parents to bring an extra set of clothes then I will send the child home in as pink swestsuit for a boy, etc.
I have several boys who wear their sister's ruffled pink hand me downs.

I even resorted to writing "STOLEN FROM ABC CHILD CARE" all across the front and down the leg of sweat pants. Still never had them returned or made the parents bring extra's.

So I stopped providing them all together. Now a child gets dirty enough to be naked (with a diaper) they stay naked (in a fresh diaper)
countrymom 02:15 PM 08-07-2012
I must be really nice because not only do I have spare stuff, but I wash their soiled stuff (if its not too bad) I do this because I know that sometimes parents just don't have time to wash the stuff and I would like it if it were my kid. Also, the odd times that I've had to send stuff home, the parents would wash the stuff and return it.
as a parent, I would be mad if I showed up and my child only had a diaper on, just because I forgot to supply an extra set doesn't mean that my kid should suffer and walk around all day in a diaper.
Blackcat31 02:34 PM 08-07-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I must be really nice because not only do I have spare stuff, but I wash their soiled stuff (if its not too bad) I do this because I know that sometimes parents just don't have time to wash the stuff and I would like it if it were my kid. Also, the odd times that I've had to send stuff home, the parents would wash the stuff and return it.
as a parent, I would be mad if I showed up and my child only had a diaper on, just because I forgot to supply an extra set doesn't mean that my kid should suffer and walk around all day in a diaper.
Yes, you must be really nice because I would be mad, as a provider, if my DCP's expected me to make up for their parenting responsibilities.

I also don't see how a child would be "suffering" because they only had a diaper to wear.
crazydaycarelady 03:55 PM 08-07-2012
They child would be "suffering" by being forced to be naked and different from how all of the other kids are dressed. Feeling self-conscience, embarassed, and like they did something wrong.

Parents are over-worked and busy and I just don't feel the need to prove a point that they really screwed up by not bringing an extra outfit. It's not the end of the world and it coss me about 50 cents to avoid the whole thing with some garage sale hand-me-downs. If I don't get them back then no big deal but I don't think I've ever not had something returned.
daycarediva 04:10 PM 08-07-2012
They might go home in something that doesn't fit well, but since I have young kids, they would probably be in SOMETHING. Dcg went home in a batman tshirt the other day. Her Dad found it hilarious. My parents are all great about keeping me in supplies and listen when I say I think these diapers are getting small, etc.

I am not supposed to rinse or washing soiled clothing AT ALL, and since my washer and dryer are on a separate floor, it's against regulations for me to wash ANYTHING during daycare hours. I explain this on interview, but sometimes it takes the first digusting bag of poop clothes home to really reinforce my point.
justgettingstarted 04:58 PM 08-07-2012
They child would be "suffering" by being forced to be naked and different from how all of the other kids are dressed. Feeling self-conscience, embarassed, and like they did something wrong.

Parents are over-worked and busy and I just don't feel the need to prove a point that they really screwed up by not bringing an extra outfit. It's not the end of the world and it coss me about 50 cents to avoid the whole thing with some garage sale hand-me-downs. If I don't get them back then no big deal but I don't think I've ever not had something returned.
He's barely 6 months old I don't think he'll notice that everyone else is dressed differently I don't have any infant clothes laying around DS is nearly 3 and my washer/dryer are in the garage the door to which is padlocked shut during daycare hours per licensing. I can see your point if he were older I might find something to cover him up so he wasn't embarassed or maybe I'd let them all run around nay nay (DS's word for naked) they'd probably love it! But I definitely do NOT think it is my responsibility to buy extra clothes for someone else's child.
Hunni Bee 06:27 PM 08-07-2012
I've had to send older children home half naked because I simply did not have anything else to put on them. The spares never come back - if I write the name of the daycare on them, they just throw them away.

I had to dress one boy in an oversized t-shirt and a pull-up. This kid had tons of accidents, wore all the spares home and never brought anything back. The parents came to pick him up, and the mom had to send the dad back home to get a change of clothes because they walk. Even THAT didn't teach them make sure I have changes of clothes for the child.
renodeb 07:31 AM 08-08-2012
Sugar, Your heart was in the right place. Dont be to hard on yourself. I dont think I would call either but would stress that the child needs something to wear. I have a spares bin to. When it gets to full I usually just donate stuff. (parents tend to leave there kids outgrown clothes) Maybe they will catch on if they have to p/u a naked baby? Either that or run out, buy a onesie and bill them for it on there next payment. I have in my contract that if I have to buy any of the requested items that the parent will be billed for it and I have a list of items.
Debbie
youretooloud 07:37 AM 08-08-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I always wash their stuff too. Unless I don't have anything else to wash. I also keep stuff on hand for them. I buy things at garage sales, or walmart.

BUT, it's mostly because I keep losing the stuff they brought over for us. So, it's easier for me to have things here that are no big deal to me if I don't get them back.

I'd never call a parent for diaper accidents. But, just wearing a diaper all day is no big deal. Most kids spend a good part of the day in only a diaper in the summer anyway.
Country Kids 07:44 AM 08-08-2012
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I always wash their stuff too. Unless I don't have anything else to wash. I also keep stuff on hand for them. I buy things at garage sales, or walmart.

BUT, it's mostly because I keep losing the stuff they brought over for us. So, it's easier for me to have things here that are no big deal to me if I don't get them back.

I'd never call a parent for diaper accidents.
I'm just curious of how do you lose the things the parents bring to you?
Blackcat31 07:49 AM 08-08-2012

I am pretty sure OP said the child in question is a baby. I doubt he is going to be embarrassed or humiliated. If a child is still wearing a diaper, there is usually very little self-conscieousness involved. I still have undie wearers who still would prefer to be naked.

I agree that some parents are busy and over-worked, but on the same note, I work too. I do what needs to be done and my child comes first. Their needs are MY priority. If a parent forgot to bring an extra set of cloting once, it would be no big deal but repeatedly is not acceptable. Anyone with young children knows going anywhere without an extra change of clothes is risking it....IMPO.

I get that it would only be a few cents to avoid the issue but I don't avoid issues, I address them. Besides, it was never the money that detoured me from providing the extra clothing. It is the principle and the fact that it is simply just not MY job. I do my job, parents do theirs. Simple as that.
I answered in bold above.
youretooloud 07:50 AM 08-08-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I'm just curious of how do you lose the things the parents bring to you?

I have no idea. I put it in a ziplock with their name on it. But, then when I need it, I can't find it. I find it later....when I don't need it.

I just think I have that kind of brain.
Former Teacher 12:03 PM 08-08-2012
Depending on where the parents work at, I would call them just to give a heads-up-so its not a shock when they arrive.

I would let the child go home in a diaper. I also would not admit them without all supplies that were needed to take care of their child for the day.
Reply Up