Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Need Ideas!!
Brooksie 06:27 PM 06-21-2013
I am desperate for ideas for summer curriculum. I need themes and also activities. I'm totally and completely broke and have no extra cash for supplies and I've been so drained lately that I haven't been able to keep up with my lesson plans. Right now I have a VERY young group (12 mo, 13 mo, 2.5yrs DD, and then a 13yo with CP) so lately its just been a LOT of choice time because I can't figure out any group guided activities for such a young group. They don't hold attention. I'm currently interviewing to fill more of my older spots and am interviewing for 2 more 2.5 yos and then also a 6yo so I really want to get back on top of my game but have the worlds smallest budget and am lacking serious creativity. But I'm excited to be able to get back on top of things again and have a plan. I loved having a weekly theme and different things planned for the day. The past couple weeks its just been up in the air and managing and thats no fun for any one. Ideas? Anyone? Anyone?
blandino 06:55 PM 06-21-2013
Originally Posted by Brooksie:
I am desperate for ideas for summer curriculum. I need themes and also activities. I'm totally and completely broke and have no extra cash for supplies and I've been so drained lately that I haven't been able to keep up with my lesson plans. Right now I have a VERY young group (12 mo, 13 mo, 2.5yrs DD, and then a 13yo with CP) so lately its just been a LOT of choice time because I can't figure out any group guided activities for such a young group. They don't hold attention. I'm currently interviewing to fill more of my older spots and am interviewing for 2 more 2.5 yos and then also a 6yo so I really want to get back on top of my game but have the worlds smallest budget and am lacking serious creativity. But I'm excited to be able to get back on top of things again and have a plan. I loved having a weekly theme and different things planned for the day. The past couple weeks its just been up in the air and managing and thats no fun for any one. Ideas? Anyone? Anyone?

When my DCK were younger we did a lot of sensory things. They loved wheni put big sheets of paper on the ground and they could run and crunch on it. We used banner paper, because a parent has donated some. Newspaper is good too.

Also, shaving cream on a table outdoors is really fun.

A box of cheapo spaghetti boiled is a good sensory activity, just spread it all over a table or in a plastic pool or outside on a tarp.

I use a lot of construction paper for low budget activities. Cutting out shapes and then we can play with those. Sounds a tad but old for your group though.

Outdoors, give them an assortment of dishes and pots and pans. And water, and let them go to town.

My toddlers are also really liking laminated cutout pictures of all sorts of animals.
Unregistered 07:27 PM 06-21-2013
I'd be tempted to do the summer theme free, especially with so many young ones. Take the time to build up some money and gradually work on your themes for Fall, Winter & Spring when they are a bit older.

Other inexpensive ideas :

water play - items that float/sink, Freeze smaller toys in blocks of ice to watch melt, or put out lots of icecubes (maybe some colored ones too, make paper boats to float in them etc, toss in funnels/measuring cups/spoons

pet/vet/pet shop week - stuffed animals, doctors kit, boxes to set up pretend clinic or store, maybe a pet washing station where they could wash up some of the stuffed animals

bubbles - lots of different songs and activities to go with this theme.

messy art theme - works well outside in bathing suits. really let them explore with paint and other art materials

Contact paper art is easy for young ones too (often found at dollar store.) They could stick tissue paper to it and you could put a top sheet and cut it into a shape to match theme. Or you could do a nature walk and collect flowers to stick between sheets.

Work with what is in nature around you. Flowers, Trees/Leaves, Insects, Weather, Summer/Beach theme. Picnic or Teddy Bear Picnic.

Toss in a few books from the library and some songs from the internet and your themes will be more than enough for the young group you have.

Other inspiration:

http://teaching2and3yearolds.blogspot.ca/
http://preschool-daze.com/
http://www.notimeforflashcards.com/
http://www.weteachgroup.com/
blandino 07:36 PM 06-21-2013
I too, take the summers off theme free. We typically head outside right after breakfast, and play in the sprinklers until 10:30 (it is usually starting to get too hot by then). Your kids may be too young to enjoy sprinklers (my 1 y.o.s) don't really like getting sprayed yet) but they like water tables buckets, etc.

Come in, get everyone cleaned up, do an activity or watch a movie, eat lunch, and then nap. I am SUPER relaxed during the summer. We have a pretty strict schedule during the school year, so I think this small break is nice for everyone and a good time for me to recharge. I really enjoy the break, but am super ready for a theme and a schedule again by August. I

Another idea for that age group is shakers. I filled old tupperwear with different sizes and amounts of beans/rice and then duct taped them together, and my toddlers love them. They like to listen to music, and shake away.

BIG HUGS
I have been where you are before. Frustrated, broke, constantly seeing things you want to fix/add to and not being able to. Sort of like you lost your momentum ?!?! Usually at that point, I will change everything up and that seems to help. But also, be EASY on yourself. The harder I am on myself, the worse it seems to get.
Brooksie 07:49 PM 06-21-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
I too, take the summers off theme free. We typically head outside right after breakfast, and play in the sprinklers until 10:30 (it is usually starting to get too hot by then). Your kids may be too young to enjoy sprinklers (my 1 y.o.s) don't really like getting sprayed yet) but they like water tables buckets, etc.

Come in, get everyone cleaned up, do an activity or watch a movie, eat lunch, and then nap. I am SUPER relaxed during the summer. We have a pretty strict schedule during the school year, so I think this small break is nice for everyone and a good time for me to recharge. I really enjoy the break, but am super ready for a theme and a schedule again by August. I

Another idea for that age group is shakers. I filled old tupperwear with different sizes and amounts of beans/rice and then duct taped them together, and my toddlers love them. They like to listen to music, and shake away.

BIG HUGS
I have been where you are before. Frustrated, broke, constantly seeing things you want to fix/add to and not being able to. Sort of like you lost your momentum ?!?! Usually at that point, I will change everything up and that seems to help. But also, be EASY on yourself. The harder I am on myself, the worse it seems to get.
Aww thanks seriously almost makes me tear up because I know what I WANT to be able to do and I just don't have the finances. I have so many ideas and goals and its just so hard right now. And I really am too hard on myself. I do like the idea of being more relaxed in the summer but I hate getting the boredom vibe from the kids. A lot of it is from my dd more than the younger ones. But I'll try to dig around in my cabinets and see what I have. I think I will pass on the weekly themes for the summer and start saving for the rest of the year.
blandino 07:55 PM 06-21-2013
Originally Posted by Brooksie:
Aww thanks seriously almost makes me tear up because I know what I WANT to be able to do and I just don't have the finances. I have so many ideas and goals and its just so hard right now. And I really am too hard on myself. I do like the idea of being more relaxed in the summer but I hate getting the boredom vibe from the kids. A lot of it is from my dd more than the younger ones. But I'll try to dig around in my cabinets and see what I have. I think I will pass on the weekly themes for the summer and start saving for the rest of the year.
Seriously, I looked to see where you are located hoping we were close, so you could come borrow some stuff.

I have so been there. And am currently there somewhat. Enrollment is down for the summer, and I really feel like we need new rugs (looking shabby) and a new kids table, I would like the carpets professionally cleaned, and the couch needs a slipcover. :roll eyes: And frustrating, because once I notice those flaws, I feel like everyone else sees them too.

With the younger ones, I would say they would probably like doing the same activities over and over again. With your 2.5 yo DD, would she enjoy being "in charge" of some of the activities ?!? Maybe that would keep her from being bored ? Sometimes my kids that age, like being asked to help teach the babies what to do.

Also, another idea my 1 year olds love, it painting with weird objects. Today they painted with cotton balls, I have seen on interest to let them use tin foil balls, sponges, maybe even leaves from outside (those are free )
Brooksie 08:05 PM 06-21-2013
Good ideas! A few days ago I did pompom painting with clothespins to hold them (great fine motor and strengthening) but the little ones just weren't quite there yet. My youngest LOVES getting a paint brush and will go to town, but my 13 mo always puts it in his mouth and doesn't do any thing else with it. I also have tried the shaving cream which my dd loves, but the little ones always try to eat it and that makes me nervous. I've considered coolwhip instead but my daughters allergic and we all love fingerpainting but I'm out of the right paper for it. And like I said I have no budget for anything extra right now.
Unregistered 08:19 PM 06-21-2013
What if they paint on a table or picnic table just to explore with it? Take a picture of it for the parents to see or to display rather than having a finished product. Or press what ever paper you have on hand on to the painted surface.

Perhaps painting outside with small containers of just water and lager paint brushes if you have them. They can paint all over and watch things get wet and then dry.
Heidi 07:22 AM 06-22-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
What if they paint on a table or picnic table just to explore with it? Take a picture of it for the parents to see or to display rather than having a finished product. Or press what ever paper you have on hand on to the painted surface.

Perhaps painting outside with small containers of just water and lager paint brushes if you have them. They can paint all over and watch things get wet and then dry.
My toddlers loved water painting. Or, sidewalk chalk, then water painting to blend it, then clean it.

Last year, I found an old white sheet, hung it on the fence, and let them paint that. Then, I added the name of my daycare to the top and all the kiddos first names. It hung there for a few weeks, on the outside of the fence, for the parents to admire. If I lived in town, it might have been a great advertising tool, as well..
Heidi 07:28 AM 06-22-2013
Brooksie..

Since you are looking to fill spots, you could take my sheet painting idea further.

I don't know if you are allowed to put a sign out for your business in your area, but here, we can't, due to township restrictions. I'm guessing that's fairly common in residential neighborhoods.

BUT...

If a person would hang a big art project in their front window, no one would complain, right? Or, you could use your front window as a bulletin board, more or less, with the kiddos artwork on it, and your dc name over the top. Assuming you can paint backwards letters...lol

Also, do you go for walks? If so, it's time to make some T-shirts for all your kiddos in a bright color with your daycare name on it, or make a sign for your wagon or stroller or whatever you use. Make a T-shirt for yourself, too.
Brooksie 08:08 AM 06-22-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Brooksie..

Since you are looking to fill spots, you could take my sheet painting idea further.

I don't know if you are allowed to put a sign out for your business in your area, but here, we can't, due to township restrictions. I'm guessing that's fairly common in residential neighborhoods.

BUT...

If a person would hang a big art project in their front window, no one would complain, right? Or, you could use your front window as a bulletin board, more or less, with the kiddos artwork on it, and your dc name over the top. Assuming you can paint backwards letters...lol

Also, do you go for walks? If so, it's time to make some T-shirts for all your kiddos in a bright color with your daycare name on it, or make a sign for your wagon or stroller or whatever you use. Make a T-shirt for yourself, too.
Thanks for the idea I already use my windows to hang art projects and my front door is also always plastered with pictures and paintings and like with you, I am not allowed to put signs in my front yard oh well.
Josiegirl 11:15 AM 06-22-2013
Please cut yourself some slack. You're asking too much of yourself. All your children are so young, even your 2.5 yo. My 2.5 yo still would rather play dolls and kitchen than a lot of other things. Ok well she does like to paint and get messy. The littler ones I wouldn't worry about at all, I don't believe 1 yos need themes or structure besides eating, sleeping and playing. 2.5+ get out playdough recipes and kitchen tools, hunt through your sewing stash and old magazines for cutting and collages, check out yard sales where you can find things dirt cheap most of the time. Think outside the box and use objects for different ideas. Fly-swatter painting? Fun stuff but messy so be prepared. I get lots of stuff from the dollar store too, for painting, crafts, sensory boxes, sandplay. You can save(and beg dcps too) plastic peanut butter, mayo, jelly, etc., jars and put different things in them for a different sensory type play, such as jingle bells, pompoms, plastic caps, pipe cleaners, seashells, keys, whatever you can find around the house.(just be careful of ages/chokeables).
Relax. The first and foremost thing those children need is your love and protection. Everything else is the icing on the cake. It's summer. You need a break too.
Heidi 12:31 PM 06-22-2013
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Please cut yourself some slack. You're asking too much of yourself. All your children are so young, even your 2.5 yo. My 2.5 yo still would rather play dolls and kitchen than a lot of other things. Ok well she does like to paint and get messy. The littler ones I wouldn't worry about at all, I don't believe 1 yos need themes or structure besides eating, sleeping and playing. 2.5+ get out playdough recipes and kitchen tools, hunt through your sewing stash and old magazines for cutting and collages, check out yard sales where you can find things dirt cheap most of the time. Think outside the box and use objects for different ideas. Fly-swatter painting? Fun stuff but messy so be prepared. I get lots of stuff from the dollar store too, for painting, crafts, sensory boxes, sandplay. You can save(and beg dcps too) plastic peanut butter, mayo, jelly, etc., jars and put different things in them for a different sensory type play, such as jingle bells, pompoms, plastic caps, pipe cleaners, seashells, keys, whatever you can find around the house.(just be careful of ages/chokeables).
Relax. The first and foremost thing those children need is your love and protection. Everything else is the icing on the cake. It's summer. You need a break too.

MrsSteinel'sHouse 07:09 PM 06-22-2013
can you give me an idea of what you have on hand. Paint, construction paper?? books?? I usually start with a book and work a theme with the little ones from there.
I am more relaxed right now. We have been spending a lot of time outside but once it gets hotter... we will be back in
My little ones like fingerplays. So I tend to read one book or two and then do several fingerplays.
Bees/ Insects
I have a book "the busy bee"
fingerplay.
Here is the beehive (hands together to make the hive fingers interlocked)
where are the bees (Hold hands up to do questioning)
hiding away where nobody sees (Hands back into the hive)
will they come out lets open the door (undo fingers one set at a time)
One Two Three Four bbbbuuuzzz (wiggle fingers like bees flying)

I would paint with yellow to make "bees" this can just be free painting or cut into ovals and let them make black strips and add wings for a bee.

Look for the bees when your outside.

You can do a whole insect theme. look for bugs outside. My kids like looking for worms. You can worm paint with a little bit of cooked spaghetti dipped in brown paint.

Do you have a sand box?
Beach theme. hide stuff to find in the sandbox. make sailboats for a craft. do water play. I like to read "Harry by the sea" make sea monsters using tissue or yarn.

Colors can be a theme with little ones-
I like to do sensory bins with ice cubes in the summer. You can make them colored.

If you have shaving cream add 2 different colors in a ziplock bag and let them mix then paint with it.

Do a scavenger hunt for colors. I like to cut circles out of construction paper (or get paint chips for primary colors) and send with little ones to look with and match. You can make little color rings and take them outside on walks to match with colors you find.

When my dd was 6 and up I made her craft bags (ziplock bag) that she could do on her own. So for example I would cut up shapes from construction paper and then put a larger square. Check out a quilt book and look at patterns before hand. Give her bag and let her design a quilt square. If you have some beads for necklaces make a bag for that. My daughter would look forward to what was in the bag... not that it was really anything exciting. A bag with stickers and have her make them into a story. Scavenger hunt through a magazine for the letters of the alphabet. Have her cut them out and put them in order, glueing them to a piece of paper. Tell her to look for cool letters.

Oh I probably have 100 other ideas... but that is all I can type for now
kathiemarie 12:51 PM 06-23-2013
I would add cooking to your day. The kids have to eat, right? Just have them help you with getting meals/snacks ready. Even the little ones can help mixing, spreading, cutting (with plastic knifes) soft foods.

But really the best thing is to relax and have fun with them. Dance, tickle, be silly and love them those are what they are going to remember at the end of the day. Not what craft they did or how many toys they had to play with but how they felt safe and loved while they were in your care.
Lianne 01:04 PM 06-23-2013
I try to use a lot of recyclable materials for crafts. I have a young group like you and we've painted cans then glued streamers from them and hung them up outside. We've painted rocks. We've used the cardboard from cereal and cracker boxes to finger paint on. When I run out of paint, I throw some flour and water and food colouring together to make paint. I put different materials for gluing on the table like sandpaper, bits or ribbon or string, cut up greeting cards, old felt, bread tags and let the kids go nuts. I also ask for donations of reusable items and send home a list of what we're looking for. Sometimes I include some purchased supplies like pompom, construction paper, glue, etc but stress in the note that the donation of such items is voluntary and not expected. My experience is that parents like donating things, recyclables at least, because they feel like they're participating in their child's care.
slpender 01:45 PM 06-23-2013
My older infant and toddlers love anything they can dump or bang. I sent a letter home to parents asking them to save item such as bottle cap from milk and juice contains baby puff containers and lids baby food containers glass baby food lids paper towel tubes etc. you can make all kinds of things with these. Right now I have puff containers with holes in them so the kids can drop the milk lids in over and over. I have taped the paper rolls to the eg of a table and the kids drop balls or other object into the tubes.

Colored ice cubes
Baby bubble bath in water table
Car wash using small toy cars in the water table or large outside ride on toys
Dish washing using play dishes
Bowling using water or soda bottle
Painting w mega blocks
Homemade playdough
Making forts or tunnels using blanket and sheet draped over tables

I know I have a list of a lot more low budget ideas just need to find them I will pm them to you
MrsSteinel'sHouse 02:26 PM 06-23-2013
Make a list for parents of things too. Ask them all to save their cereal boxes etc. Tape them shut and have a building day!
Reply Up