Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I'm Getting A Bad Feeling....
MommyMuffin 05:42 AM 12-15-2010
or am I over reacting.

I have my own 2 yo. I have a 2yo boy everyday and a 1 yo boy only 4 times a month. I also have a baby in the afternoons only.

When dcb dad dropped him off today he said, "Do you have any other kids?" I told him how I had the 1 yo and thent he baby in the afternoon. He said, "Oh thats why I never hear kids or babies."

Not quite sure what to make of this. I never wanted a large daycare. The two 2 year olds play together. I dont really want anymore kids but I posted an ad today because if my 2 yo leaves I wont be able to pay bills.

Do you think I am overreacting to his comment? I have been advertising because I am afraid if I lose one I will be screwed but I felt like I was doing a good job with the kids that they wont leave.
Lilbutterflie 05:48 AM 12-15-2010
Well, I wasn't there to listen to the context of what he said, or to look at his body language... but it sounds to me like maybe that was a compliment? Or something he actually liked? Who wouldn't want their 2yo to be in a daycare with a low ratio rather than a high one? He has someone his own age to play with, and another younger than him. I think that's a great situation for a little 2yo to be in!
SilverSabre25 07:17 AM 12-15-2010
I think he might just have been curious. I have parents ask sometimes if there are other kids here on a day when it happens to be quiet when they drop off/pick up. Obviously, though, since I couldn't hear tone/read body language and facial expression, I could be completely wrong. The dad might be more used to a larger scale daycare facility where the kids are screaming 95% of the time, or something like that.
MommyMuffin 09:00 AM 12-15-2010
I'm nervous about it and I was thinking of saying something like "dcb has fun with my daughter today, its nice having a small group so I can give them individual attention"

But I dont want it to come out of nowhere and sound weird.

I do not like feeling like I have to bow down to the parents but right now it is difficult to find kids.
e.j. 11:29 AM 12-15-2010
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
Well, I wasn't there to listen to the context of what he said, or to look at his body language... but it sounds to me like maybe that was a compliment? Or something he actually liked? Who wouldn't want their 2yo to be in a daycare with a low ratio rather than a high one? He has someone his own age to play with, and another younger than him. I think that's a great situation for a little 2yo to be in!
This is the way I would have taken his comment. He probably just expected to hear a lot of noise since you're running a day care or, if his son was in a different day care previously, it could be it was noisy there and he's just surprised at the quiet in your home. If you're worried about it though, you could always say to him, "I was thinking about what you said this morning and I'm wondering if you're at all concerned about the number of kids I care for? If he is, you could explain the benefits to him. If he isn't, you can say you just wanted to make sure he's okay with the care his child is receiving.
ninosqueridos 11:43 AM 12-15-2010
Originally Posted by e.j.:
This is the way I would have taken his comment. He probably just expected to hear a lot of noise since you're running a day care or, if his son was in a different day care previously, it could be it was noisy there and he's just surprised at the quiet in your home. If you're worried about it though, you could always say to him, "I was thinking about what you said this morning and I'm wondering if you're at all concerned about the number of kids I care for? If he is, you could explain the benefits to him. If he isn't, you can say you just wanted to make sure he's okay with the care his child is receiving.
I would do say this same thing to the dcd. And I also would have done the same thing posting a quick ad just in case. I currently have a child in my care whose parents came to me specifically looking for someone who has multiple children in care so the child would get the socialization they were looking for. Good luck! Hope it goes well with them.
DCMomOf3 11:52 AM 12-15-2010
I've had parents want the small group and others who want the big group. I think the only way to find out how to take it is ask how he meant it. I wouldn't worry too much until then, and once you find out, then spin it how you think you should, although if you don't want more kids, I wouldn't put up a quick add just because of his comment.
Tags:advertising, losing spots
Reply Up