Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Request from Judge Mathis
professionalmom 01:49 PM 06-10-2010
About a month ago I filed small claims suits against some former clients who stiffed me out of a lot of money (DHS clients, almost impossible to calculate prepayment). Right a few minutes ago we got our mail for today and there was a letter from Judge Mathis - one of those TV Judges. They say they found my info via a search of a small claims records search in my area, that if I win they will guarantee I will receive the money (it sounds like I won't have to go through collections, garnishments, etc.). Plus they will pay for the travel expenses to Chicago.

First, I'm leery about this being spam. But, I have been thinking about how much daycare providers get mistreated by DCPs and society in general (why are we always the bad guys?) and how OUR stories need to be told. Maybe this would be a way to show people how much we are taken for granted. Or maybe I'm being a little nieve to think that anyone (other than us) care.

Plus, my family and my MIL life in the Chicago area, so it would be a free trip to visit them.

What do you ladies (and gentlemen) think? Give the producer a call or not? If so, what do I ask? Have any of you gotten a letter like this? I'm very flattered right now, but I have always been a private person and have little to no trust in the media. Plus, I worry about exploitation. PLEASE HELP WITH ADVICE. What would you do?
My Daycare 01:57 PM 06-10-2010
I really don't know what I would do. Those judge shows seem to have a way to make both parties look and feel like idiots.
professionalmom 01:59 PM 06-10-2010
Originally Posted by My Daycare:
I really don't know what I would do. Those judge shows seem to have a way to make both parties look and feel like idiots.
That's another one of my concerns. But I haven't watched any of those shows in at least 5-10 years, so I'm not sure how they are now. Are they like most "reality" shows - all about sensationalism?
HeatherB 02:54 PM 06-10-2010
I would call the producers to see if it is legit and do your research BEFORE agreeing!
misol 03:03 PM 06-10-2010
Give the producer a call to find out if it's legit. If so, then I say go for it! Get your 15 minutes of fame while representing all of us providers. If you have a strong, solid case, there is usually very little that they can do to make you look like an idiot.

It's highly unlikely however, that your former client will agree to go on the show though. She would be screwing herself royally by appearing on national TV for nonpayment to a daycare provider. She will never be able to find childcare again!

These shows are definitely sensationalized but I am hooked. I watch at least one per day during nap time! Judy Judy is my fave
professionalmom 04:57 PM 06-10-2010
Originally Posted by misol:
Give the producer a call to find out if it's legit. If so, then I say go for it! Get your 15 minutes of fame while representing all of us providers. If you have a strong, solid case, there is usually very little that they can do to make you look like an idiot.

It's highly unlikely however, that your former client will agree to go on the show though. She would be screwing herself royally by appearing on national TV for nonpayment to a daycare provider. She will never be able to find childcare again!

These shows are definitely sensationalized but I am hooked. I watch at least one per day during nap time! Judy Judy is my fave
I haven't watched Judge Mathis, only while flipping channels and only for a minute or two, but if he's anything like Judge Judy - forget it!

As for my case being solid - Ha Ha Ha! I quit law school in my second year so I could be at home with my children during their formative years. So my contract is pretty darn solid (contracts I & II were my BEST courses). Plus, I would NEVER file a suit unless I was at least 95% confident that I would win. So, I'm not worried about that. But I know the former client will try to assassinate my character. That's what I'm afraid of in a public forum, especially TV. In a regular courtroom, the judge won't allow personal grudges to be brought up. It's just stick to the issue - breach of contract. But I doubt it will be that way when it's for TV.
originalkat 04:58 PM 06-10-2010
Life is an adventure! If it is really legit and and I knew I had a strong case with documentation/paperwork I would go for it.
Plus you have family there so that would be cool.

Let us know what you decide. We will all be wanting to watch it!
MN Mom 08:12 PM 06-10-2010
Wow!! Judge Judy is still on T.V.??? I haven't watched her since...um maybe my Senior year in HS and I'm going to be 30 in July. I always got a kick out of her show.

I, personally, wouldn't go on TV for small claims. I'm quite shy though, so if you are confident with your character and your case...go for it!
Lilbutterflie 05:25 AM 06-11-2010
I say check it out to make sure it's legit, and as long as she doesn't have any leg to stand on... go for it! But I do agree, she will probably try to attack your character and you have to be ok with that. Does she know any deep secrets you don't want the world to know?
jen 07:18 AM 06-11-2010
Cool! Update!!!!
tenderhearts 10:39 AM 06-11-2010
Better him than Judge Judy!!! I haven't watched Judge Mathis but if he's anything like her I wouldn't do it. I'd stick to the local system
Janet 11:18 AM 06-11-2010
I'm too afraid that the judge will be mean to me and that I will break down into hysterical tears and make an ass of myself on TV. I would be so humiliated. It's OK if I do it in private, I just don't want to do it on tv. I watch those shows and I've seen how mean Judge Judy in particular can be! Nope, not for me, but I would love to see a provider go on and represent for the rest of us who may be in the same boat.
TGT09 05:40 PM 06-11-2010
OK, I don't really like the judge shows to be honest but he's actually the best of all of them imo. He's not as condescending as some of the others. Like a pp said though, I would make sure it's legit first before worrying.
originalkat 06:37 PM 06-11-2010
I agree that Judge Mathis is the best TV court judge. He seems to be fair and not there to "just put on a show" like some others I have seen in the past. (I dont have cable so I havent watched in like 3 years) but that is what I remember about him.
MarinaVanessa 11:12 AM 06-15-2010
How fun! Not the part of you being jipped for your money but about being on Judge Mathis. I havn't seen court TV in a while either but if you decide to do it let us know. I know at least that I would be very interested in seeing the outcome. Hopefully he makes the family look like loosers. Either way, make sure you update.
professionalmom 12:47 PM 06-15-2010
Friday I called the producer and left a message. I haven't heard back. So, who knows. I may try to call again tomorrow. Right now I am dead on my feet, pregnant with twins, and have a really bad sinus infection, so I don't want to talk to them right now anyways because I might end up sounding like an idiot.
fctjc1979 01:00 PM 06-15-2010
Originally Posted by professionalmom:
Friday I called the producer and left a message. I haven't heard back. So, who knows. I may try to call again tomorrow. Right now I am dead on my feet, pregnant with twins, and have a really bad sinus infection, so I don't want to talk to them right now anyways because I might end up sounding like an idiot.
If you speak like you write, I really don't think you will sound like an idiot. Just saying.
professionalmom 01:09 PM 06-15-2010
Originally Posted by fctjc1979:
If you speak like you write, I really don't think you will sound like an idiot. Just saying.
You are so gosh darn sweet, I'm about to cry. Or maybe I'm being overemotional since I'm double pregnant (twins) and sick. Either way, thank you so much!!
Persephone 09:14 PM 07-12-2010
Just wondering how this went?

I heard from someone else who got a letter like this from a judge show that the show itself pays the claim. So basically if the other person does want to do it they get out of paying because the show will do it. Which is not right to me. If they are in the wrong they should have to pay.
MarinaVanessa 08:31 AM 07-13-2010
Hey yeah, I know you have court tomorrow right? Did you decide to take them to regular small claims court instead? Let us know how it all goes tomorrow and good luck.
professionalmom 10:09 AM 07-13-2010
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Hey yeah, I know you have court tomorrow right? Did you decide to take them to regular small claims court instead? Let us know how it all goes tomorrow and good luck.
I had called the producer but never heard back, so I dropped it and basically forgot about it. From how the letter was worded, it sounded to me like the show would pay the debt, too. They were saying things about how long it can take to actually GET the money and how long garnishment takes, but WE can guarantee you will get your money right away. So, I thought the same thing - that the show would pay for them and they would get off the hook. As much as I want my money, I want to teach them a lesson. I have fallen on hard times before and had to pay higher interest, late fees, etc. No one has ever given me a pass, so why should they get one. I'm not out to screw anyone over. I just want those who purposely try to screw everyone else over, to be held accountable and learn that being a deadbeat does not pay. If I have to a responsible, respectable, hardworking, taxpaying, dependable person, why shouldn't I expect that of the people I provide care for?
MarinaVanessa 07:42 AM 07-15-2010
Originally Posted by professionalmom:
I had called the producer but never heard back, so I dropped it and basically forgot about it. From how the letter was worded, it sounded to me like the show would pay the debt, too. They were saying things about how long it can take to actually GET the money and how long garnishment takes, but WE can guarantee you will get your money right away. So, I thought the same thing - that the show would pay for them and they would get off the hook. As much as I want my money, I want to teach them a lesson. I have fallen on hard times before and had to pay higher interest, late fees, etc. No one has ever given me a pass, so why should they get one. I'm not out to screw anyone over. I just want those who purposely try to screw everyone else over, to be held accountable and learn that being a deadbeat does not pay. If I have to a responsible, respectable, hardworking, taxpaying, dependable person, why shouldn't I expect that of the people I provide care for?
Just wanted to see how it went yesterday. I hope everything went well for you!! Update!!
professionalmom 09:39 PM 07-15-2010
Just wanted to see how it went yesterday. I hope everything went well for you!! Update!!
You would NOT believe it. A little background: family is foreign refugees. Very poor. 8 children total (only youngest 2 in my care, other 6 are in school). When I started with them (they were my first clients), both kids were FT and the youngest was under 2.5 yrs old, so DHS pretty much covered everything. Since then the baby aged up to the lower DHS reimbursement rate (lost $0.51 per hour), DHS dropped their rates in our area (lost another $0.20 per hour per child or $0.40 per hour for the family), which was almost a $1.00 per hour loss. Then the older one dropped to PT because she was going to Head Start, so my charge changed to PT pay (with a sibling discount). The parents had to pay the difference (copay). They just did not (and still do not) get it. They think I am all about the money and complained that I wanted money, money, money. Of course I wanted my money, they were 2 weeks behind in co-payments when they decided to terminate.

Well, they terminated without notice twice. I took them back because we had a conference and I thought they fully understood what I was telling them. But they still had no-call, no-shows (which are their responsibility because DHS does NOT pay for NCNS) and even racked up $75 in late pickup fees for being over 2.5 hours late. I ended up calling it in because I was worried that something happened to the parents (possible car accident) and needed the authorities to step in and help me figure out what was going on. Obviously, they say this as a first mistake.

Well, we had court-ordered mediation. Even the mediator tried to explain that I am a mandated reporter and under an obligation to call in the late pick of 2.5 hours (when emergency contact picked-up - parent called just shy of 4 hours after the scheduled pickup time). Basically the debt added up pretty fast and so did the late payment fees. We are talking 4 figures. I made a REALLY SWEET deal (trying to give them a break since I doubt they understand how much trouble they are really in) and took off most of the late payment fees. He countered with only 15% of my offer. Let me just say, I am positive a judge will award me more than the offer I made him. The mediator said that we are no where close in our expectations and asked if we want to try to continue to negotiate or opt for the judge. He actually jumped in and said he wanted to go in front of the judge. I just dropped my head into my hand, knowing full well he just shot himself in the foot. So we go back next month to see the judge. I really am conflicted over this. He owes me so much money, I can't let it slide. And I'm sure he's not being malicious, just ignorant as to how things work in this country. I feel so sorry for him and his family. But he did say that it breaks his heart when his girls ask about me. I know these kids are fabulous - some of the best I ever had. The older of the 2 cried and clung to me when it was time to leave - everyday. She wanted to live with my family and me. The whole situation just breaks my heart.
tymaboy 04:46 AM 07-16-2010
That is so sad. Maybe with in the months time something will click & he will understand how it will be in court & try to work it out again.
MarinaVanessa 09:31 AM 07-16-2010
I think you are doing the right thing. I understand that maybe he isn't doing it intentionally and just "doen't get it" but what will probably happen if you just let it go or something is that they will go somewhere else where they might not even be as lenient as you and get themselves into MORE trouble. I think it will at least serve as a lesson learned. Hopefully when you go in front if the judge he'll realize that things are not the way he thinks at all.
professionalmom 11:56 AM 07-16-2010
I think you are doing the right thing. I understand that maybe he isn't doing it intentionally and just "doen't get it" but what will probably happen if you just let it go or something is that they will go somewhere else where they might not even be as lenient as you and get themselves into MORE trouble. I think it will at least serve as a lesson learned. Hopefully when you go in front if the judge he'll realize that things are not the way he thinks at all.
The sad thing is I can still hear the 4 year old saying "Auntie ____ you're the bestest cooker ever" at every meal and snack. I loved these girls. I would love to have them back, but I don't know if the parents will ever "get it" with how the system works. I will forever wonder and worry about these girls. One of the older sisters is out and out mean to the 4 year old, but not the 2 year old. If I could raise these girls myself, I would. I heart just breaks for all of them. This is the part that SUCKS about this profession - falling in love with the kids and then losing them over stupid stuff (or they age out and we just don't hear from them again). This is the biggest drawback - the emotional attachment to kids that are not our own. But I do know I have made a world of difference in the lives of these 2 girls - no matter what happens from here on out.
QualiTcare 08:17 PM 07-16-2010
well, this is a delayed response, but there's no way in hell i'd go on judge mathis.

that dude is a PRICK!! and...to be honest, i think he's racist. he gives the plaintiff's just as much hell as he does the defendants. he cuts them off, makes fun of them, etc. i want to jump through the TV and punch him in the face....which is why don't watch him after seeing his show a few times.

now, if judge millian sends you a letter - GO FOR IT! the people's court is the only half ass decent court show on T.V. and i love that woman! she lets both sides tell their story without interrupting or sounding/looking judgemental. AND even if you lose the case- she'll be respectful (unless you're an ass). i've seen her tell people who lost that she was really sorry because she would LOVE to side with them, but she had to follow the law.

i'd end up cussing judge mathis out and end up in prison for jumping the bench. i hate that dude.
Tags:judge mathis, small claims
Reply Up