Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Would You Do?
barbdooley 01:52 PM 06-22-2010
I started babysitting this baby on May 27th they had applied for help from the state for daycare. I got a letter in the mail saying they were denied any help at all it was my understanding that they were already approved that is why I took on the baby. They called me on thursday night to say that one of them was going to stay home from work on friday to call them and talk to them about it so I wouldn't have the baby. He called me on Friday saying that they couldn't get help but they were going to be getting a big check in july or august that they wouldn't be able to pay me until then but could I still watch the baby. They owe me $300.00 already I told them that I needed payment before I could provide daycare for the baby that I couldn't wait until August for payment. Did I do the right thing? What would you have done?
gbcc 01:56 PM 06-22-2010
Absolutely. Some learn the hard way because we want to help people but never provide care without payment. Just not a good idea. Come August, they decide to quit thier job or have family care for the child and then what?
originalkat 02:26 PM 06-22-2010
Originally Posted by gbcc:
Absolutely. Some learn the hard way because we want to help people but never provide care without payment. Just not a good idea. Come August, they decide to quit thier job or have family care for the child and then what?
I agree. I hope this "Big Check" ends up getting you the money you are already owed. I had a family with me only 1 month. They always paid on time but then left with no notice. They owed me $250 for the last 2 weeks and told me they would pay as soon as they got their "Big Check" that would be coming any day now(from the Irs). Needless to say, I did not get paid.
nannyde 02:38 PM 06-22-2010
You just got got.

Never take a kid on subsidy without the approval letter in hand or the money up front for the care.

He called me on Friday saying that they couldn't get help but they were going to be getting a big check in july or august that they wouldn't be able to pay me until then but could I still watch the baby.

See that's just words. It doesn't mean anything. It wouldn't matter if he told you he was taking you to France next summer. There's a really good chance they were specifically looking for a day care provider that would take "just words" to get care from May until the written word came. That worked and now he's trying to do "just words" to get you to work from now until "July/August". As soon as July/August comes he will come to you with different words.

300 is a lot of money but many a provider has been taken for way more than that on sibling groups for way more than a few weeks. Consider this a lesson learned... take him to small claims if you can... and live and learn.
momofboys 02:41 PM 06-22-2010
Originally Posted by barbdooley:
I started babysitting this baby on May 27th they had applied for help from the state for daycare. I got a letter in the mail saying they were denied any help at all it was my understanding that they were already approved that is why I took on the baby. They called me on thursday night to say that one of them was going to stay home from work on friday to call them and talk to them about it so I wouldn't have the baby. He called me on Friday saying that they couldn't get help but they were going to be getting a big check in july or august that they wouldn't be able to pay me until then but could I still watch the baby. They owe me $300.00 already I told them that I needed payment before I could provide daycare for the baby that I couldn't wait until August for payment. Did I do the right thing? What would you have done?
Did you have the parent sign a contract saying they were responsible for paying anything the subsidy did not? You definitely di the right thing. I would be giving them a bill certified mail stating what they owe you & agree with Nannyde, I would go to small claims. I'm sorry for the time you worked with no pay.
barbdooley 02:50 PM 06-22-2010
Yes they did sign something saying they would pay what didn't get paid. I am taking them to small claims to get my money never again will I do it. Lesson Learned.
professionalmom 04:21 PM 06-22-2010
Originally Posted by barbdooley:
Yes they did sign something saying they would pay what didn't get paid. I am taking them to small claims to get my money never again will I do it. Lesson Learned.
I opened in Sept 2008. So 2009 was my first full year doing daycare. In that 12 months, I lost approximately $5000 due to people like this. Each time, I thought, "it's only 400" or "it's only 500". But when I added up how much I lost from people doing this, I got smart. I took 1 person to small claims and won. Sure, you have to come up with the filing fee and the fee to have them served, but usually if you win, the judge will tack on the filing fee and the service fee to your judgment. So, now I have the mentality of, you screw me, I take you to court. Plain and simple. I don't play that game anymore.
judytrickett 04:27 PM 06-22-2010
No Pay - No Stay!
judytrickett 04:28 PM 06-22-2010
Originally Posted by professionalmom:
So, now I have the mentality of, you screw me, I take you to court. Plain and simple. I don't play that game anymore.
I think I love you!

Me too.....I will not hesitate for a second to take a family to court if I have to.

But, then again, I always make sure to get paid in ADVANCE so if you don't pay you don't stay and I am never working for free.
boysx5 05:08 PM 06-22-2010
no way would I keep them if they can't pay 300.00 they won't be able to pay you all they owe you come August
professionalmom 05:26 PM 06-22-2010
Originally Posted by judytrickett:
I think I love you!

Me too.....I will not hesitate for a second to take a family to court if I have to.

But, then again, I always make sure to get paid in ADVANCE so if you don't pay you don't stay and I am never working for free.
Judy, I seriously think you and I are twins separated at birth. Actually, you have NO idea how much reading your blog has helped me to get the backbone I needed. I was very wimpy and let them walk all over me. YOU helped me to find the confidence that I had lost and didn't realize that I had lost. Now I am back and there's no stopping me!

As for your previous post, "No pay, no stay", I was ready to respond, "I love you Judy!" Then I saw you said something like that to me. Way...too...funny!
Tags:contract, small claims
Reply Up