Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Union in CA
sharlan 04:00 PM 12-30-2014
Anybody else being bugged by the childcare union in CA?

I've had 2 phone calls and 2 people show up at my door so far. I never listen to their spiel, I just tell them I'm not interested and shut the door or hang up.
daycare 04:13 PM 12-30-2014
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Anybody else being bugged by the childcare union in CA?

I've had 2 phone calls and 2 people show up at my door so far. I never listen to their spiel, I just tell them I'm not interested and shut the door or hang up.
I DID THIS TIME LAST YEAR AND GOT INTO AN ARGUMENT WITH THE LADY. SHE WAS NOT WELL EDUCATED IN HER JOB AND COULD NOT ANSWER ANY OF MY QUESTIONS.

LOL OPps sorry about the caps lock.

I have not seen them this year yet.....I don't have any desire to join
sharlan 04:54 PM 12-30-2014
I don't even ask any questions. I just tell them I'm not interested.
daycare 04:57 PM 12-30-2014
I asked questions because I was very curious what it was about. I had never heard of it before.
Leigh 05:06 PM 12-30-2014
Honest question (NOT trying to argue, because I know NOTHING of childcare unions):

Why is it that providers are against unionizing? All I can see is the positives-what are some of the negatives?
Baby lady 06:15 PM 12-30-2014
I heard from them quite a while back, had some come to the door.

I don't really understand what benefits they offer me
daycare 06:35 PM 12-30-2014
Originally Posted by Leigh:
Honest question (NOT trying to argue, because I know NOTHING of childcare unions):

Why is it that providers are against unionizing? All I can see is the positives-what are some of the negatives?
I was not able to get much information from them so I can't really tell you what exactly they do. I even tried to goolge it months back when I was approached and found nothing.

While I will agree that most unions are there to help and protect you, this one does not seem to have it's act together to do any of that. But again, I don't reallyknow much about it because the Rep that came out could not explain well and could not answer any of my questions. it is possible she was new at her job.
sharlan 06:47 PM 12-30-2014

What are the positives?
Leigh 07:46 PM 12-30-2014
Originally Posted by sharlan:
What are the positives?
For one, providers who accept childcare assistance as payment can band together to insist on being paid an honest wage. I saw what some providers are paid by their state, and it's appalling! Some states have rules about providers paying back funds to the state when PARENTS lie about being at work when they're not-a union could negotiate a change to that rule.

I could see more access to education for providers as a result of unionization (negotiated benefits). Protection for providers whose states have forced performance based ratings systems with seemingly arbitrary criteria. Opportunities for those of us on the front lines to participate in shaping the regulations that apply to us (common sense rules, anyone?). Perhaps even access to affordable healthcare for workers.

For me, the opportunity to work as a group to oppose those who are trying to force us to start formal education with infants. There's the possibility of the state helping us create a voluntary retirement fund that we can pay into.

I have worked in the past in union and non-union environments, and hands-down, the union jobs were much better in terms of pay and work environment. I'm VERY pro-union, no doubt, but the idea of childcare unions is pretty new to me. I truly AM interested in what the "cons" might be, just in case this issue comes up in my state. Dues are not something I would consider a drawback, since those dues go to represent me in collective bargaining.
KidGrind 08:51 PM 12-30-2014
For one, providers who accept childcare assistance as payment can band together to insist on being paid an honest wage. I saw what some providers are paid by their state, and it's appalling! Some states have rules about providers paying back funds to the state when PARENTS lie about being at work when they're not-a union could negotiate a change to that rule.

I could see more access to education for providers as a result of unionization (negotiated benefits). Protection for providers whose states have forced performance based ratings systems with seemingly arbitrary criteria. Opportunities for those of us on the front lines to participate in shaping the regulations that apply to us (common sense rules, anyone?). Perhaps even access to affordable healthcare for workers.

For me, the opportunity to work as a group to oppose those who are trying to force us to start formal education with infants. There's the possibility of the state helping us create a voluntary retirement fund that we can pay into.

I have worked in the past in union and non-union environments, and hands-down, the union jobs were much better in terms of pay and work environment. I'm VERY pro-union, no doubt, but the idea of childcare unions is pretty new to me. I truly AM interested in what the "cons" might be, just in case this issue comes up in my state. Dues are not something I would consider a drawback, since those dues go to represent me in collective bargaining.
Well I’ve just heard about providers coming out of the pocket to pay these “unions” who won’t fight for them. New York is a perfect example.

I don’t have a problem with unions who work for the members. Far too many in the last 20 years or so, seem just to collect dues.
Josiegirl 02:45 AM 12-31-2014
They just voted down the union in our state and I'm not sure how I feel about that. They were talking about getting group health care insurance rates, more paid days from state subsidy, better pay from the subsidy, getting paid for trainings. While I'm satisfied with our state rates I really could have used my own health insurance plan. (it's the major reason I'm still separated and not divorced).
I've always heard the negative about unions. Not enough positives.
DaveA 04:14 AM 12-31-2014
Here in IL it gets tossed around every few years before fading away. At least that's what happens downstate- I don't know about the People's Republic of Chicago.

I was asked about helping with organizing it once. Turned them down flat. I'm not completely anti-union, but I want no part of it in childcare, especially FCC.
Leigh 05:45 AM 12-31-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
They just voted down the union in our state and I'm not sure how I feel about that. They were talking about getting group health care insurance rates, more paid days from state subsidy, better pay from the subsidy, getting paid for trainings. While I'm satisfied with our state rates I really could have used my own health insurance plan. (it's the major reason I'm still separated and not divorced).
I've always heard the negative about unions. Not enough positives.
The negative stuff I hear about unions ALWAYS comes from someone with no experience with them, and someone who doesn't understand how they work (repeating political propaganda). That's why I asked about the childcare unions, because I would like to understand if there are drawbacks for providers. It's too bad that providers have to organize for the right to obtain health insurance or be paid a living wage.
Unregistered 07:32 AM 12-31-2014
The thing that I have heard about states where the union has gone through is that yes, they have an insurance plan. But that there are a limited number of slots for insurance for providers so you go on a waiting list to get it. And as soon as you have fewer than x children on government assistance, your insurance goes away. So it's dependent on your enrollment that you don't have control over.
As for the assistance payments, doesn't the legislature in your state have control over that? The union can try to get it raised, but so can daycare organizations. The legislature will say yes or no. If your legislature is predominantly democrat, they will be pro-union so they will push to have this, even though they already have the power to raise the rates if they so choose. And if they are predominately republican they will be anti-union and will fight the raise.
Plus the union wants unlicensed (not slamming unlicensed providers) in the union too, even though the majority of the laws and regulations only affect the licensed providers. So then unlicensed provider/union members would have input into laws that only affect licensed providers.
The last thing I will say is that providers had every opportunity to join a union over the past eight years or so, since they started door-knocking. The vast majority of providers did not choose to join, so the unions are trying to force it through legislation (laws).
sharlan 07:47 AM 12-31-2014
The negative stuff I hear about unions ALWAYS comes from someone with no experience with them, and someone who doesn't understand how they work (repeating political propaganda). That's why I asked about the childcare unions, because I would like to understand if there are drawbacks for providers. It's too bad that providers have to organize for the right to obtain health insurance or be paid a living wage.
I have no personal experience with a union. Both of my daughters are in a union and I can guarantee that their union does not back the employees. Their local president has a power trip and creates battles where none exist and doesn't deal with real issues.
daycare 08:01 AM 12-31-2014
From the sounds of it. I wouldn't benefit from a union as I don't take government assistance of any kind.
SquirrellyMama 08:06 AM 12-31-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
From the sounds of it. I wouldn't benefit from a union as I don't take government assistance of any kind.
That is why I didn't join also. I set my rates so I don't need a union to help. There were no benefits for me.

Kelly
e.j. 10:48 AM 12-31-2014
I definitely fall into the category of someone who has little experience with unions so take this for what it's worth. ;-) When I was in college, I did work for a company that was unionized. Even though I was there on a temporary basis and would not experience any benefits from the union, I still had to join and pay dues. It felt like a money grab to me.

Several years ago, the SEIU was trying to get into our state. It had been put to a vote and was voted down by voters but the governor apparently signed a bill that allowed them in anyway. For an organization that claimed to be working for my best interests, their representatives were awfully clueless about my job. They showed up at my home time and time again, usually waking kids up at nap time or interrupting meal times, telling me they wanted to represent me. What they didn't seem to understand is that as a small business owner, I set my own rate of pay and set my own policies. If I feel I need a pay raise, I adjust my rates. If I feel the need for more vacation time, I add more vacation time. I work at home so if I don't like my working conditions, I change them! If a policy isn't working for me, I make the change in my parent handbook and have the parents sign it. According to the union, they have no interest in working with providers to change state regulations, provide health or retirement benefits or get things like required trainings paid for by the state. They only wanted to increase the amount of money providers who accepted vouchers were paid. I don't take vouchers but from what I understand, the union may have succeeded in getting the daily rate increased - at least on paper, since I think the state legislature has to approve any increases (?) - but at the same time, money was taken out of the providers' pockets because they now have to pay union dues - whether they want to or not. From what I can see, providers in this state have benefited little, if at all. The union will get a cut of any increase in voucher rate and the money that should go to the providers who earn it, won't. Like I said before, just seems like a money grab for the union to me. Here's a link that is probably slanted but does explain why unions aren't such a great thing for fcc provides: http://www.childcareunioninfo.com/facts.html
grandmom 04:01 PM 01-02-2015
Here's a face book page to read.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Child...2446?ref=br_tf

The union in my area does not represent us. They work with the state, they send me emails about going on strike with minimum wage earners, and Occupy movements. Ask your question on the face book page and hear from providers who are happy to be union free.
Unregistered 04:19 PM 01-02-2015
I was forced to pay a 'fair share' when using Dhs for payments so I decided to join. I have recently left due to the fee's. It is $35/month... that a whole month of full time care, $400/year, in just fee's. It doesn't matter to me that they fight for higher Dhs rates because I charge the families the difference. The insurance was too much also. Just not worth it to me.
Second Home 05:31 PM 01-02-2015
Here in MD the union falls under the state dept of education ( teachers union) , you must join the union if you want to have state paid kids , no exceptions.

From all the info I have received I do not see much good that has happened to help out providers in general , maybe a little higher wages for those who have state paid kids . But they have done nothing that would help me .
Leigh 06:57 PM 01-02-2015
I guess I am just dreaming of the good things that a union can do. Our state child care association is more about showing off and socializing than lobbying the legislature or working to protect us or truly enrich our programs. From what I've seen here and through internet searches since this thread was posted, I can certainly understand why some providers would be against it.
Tags:union, union - ca
Reply Up