Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interesting Information On Hand Washing
Country Kids 07:48 AM 10-03-2011
I know a few weeks ago we had a thread going about hand washing. Well I was talking to two relatives that have just completed nursing school and one just entering. They have to do lots of had washing right now but more than likely start to use more hand sanitizer.

Here is the interesting part-they are being told that using hand sanitizer is more effective than hand washing. It cleans and sanitizes hand much better and more effective than hand washing with soap. I find this interesting because our hospital when you go there, you see all the staff using hand sanitizer. Dr., nurses, staff, etc. You rarely see anyone washing with soap and water.

One of my friends had a relative in ICU I believe. They were told to hand sanitize when they went in not hand wash.

Is hand washing really going away over hand sanitizer?
Heidi 08:00 AM 10-03-2011
I don't buy antibacterial stuff, just not convinced that it's healthy, and suspect it's just another gimmick to get everyone buying.

Sanitizer could be used as an extra step, or in a pinch, but it doesn't remove dirt. When we've been playing in the mud, I am pretty sure we would just get muddier sanitized hands... ewww....
Country Kids 08:06 AM 10-03-2011
I guess that is what they were saying-dirt is not removed by hand sanitizer but everything else would be. I guess with the alcohol content it kills all germs better than soap and water.

I actually had a discussion last week with our CCR&R on this. I thought we were not able to use hand sanitizer but we are. We are allowed to use it between handwashings. This actually would safe alot of time with the kids. With 4-6 of them you could actually be in the bathroom every 5-15 min having to wash someones hands.
countrymom 08:06 AM 10-03-2011
Originally Posted by bbo:
I don't buy antibacterial stuff, just not convinced that it's healthy, and suspect it's just another gimmick to get everyone buying.

Sanitizer could be used as an extra step, or in a pinch, but it doesn't remove dirt. When we've been playing in the mud, I am pretty sure we would just get muddier sanitized hands... ewww....
I agree too, I too think its a gimmick, I can see couple years from now them saying how dangerous it is for out skin and our system. Think about it, when you wash your hands with soap and water, you remove the residue of the soap and germs, well with antibacterial stuff, it seeps into your pores and it stays on your skin. I have some in my purse for a pinch or when we eat and there is no place to wash hands but I don't have it in my house and don't use it.
Nellie 08:22 AM 10-03-2011
When I worked in the nursing field we were told that we could sanitize 5 times between hand washing if you wore a pair of gloves with patient contact. This was in a nursing home field where typically every one was healthy and the contact was handing a patient medication and doing vital checks.
Springdaze 08:46 AM 10-03-2011
just ewww!!!!! I dont even use it. washing is better, besides, my hands get so torn up in the winter, I cant imaging putting alcohol on them! I too think its a gimmick! OK if there is no water like when you are CAMPING!! but at home when there is soap and water, much better!
littlemommy 08:56 AM 10-03-2011
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/samuel..._b_481323.html

Yep, it's pretty harmful stuff. I recently just asked my midwife her opinion, if sanitizer is a better option. She said she recommends using a tea tree oil based soap. She has seen studies that these soaps actually work better in killing bacteria than the "antibacterial" types. I'm switching to tea tree oil!!
godiva83 09:09 AM 10-03-2011
I don't know but the good ol' fashion soap and water has done just fine for so many years, I think I will stick to it!
I find now with hand sanitizers and super soaps people tend not to wash their hands properly- they have in their minds that these products are
Here to take over this role... And they IMO are not good- wipe out too much of the good bugs, cause 'super bugs' and take away proper hygiene practices for a quick fix.
However, sure in a pinch go for it! But, ppl need to enforce proper handwashing basics to these little lovely germ bags the old skool way lol
familyschoolcare 05:28 PM 10-03-2011
People it was not that long ago when people that washing with soap was not necessary
Michael 05:31 PM 10-03-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I know a few weeks ago we had a thread going about hand washing. Well I was talking to two relatives that have just completed nursing school and one just entering. They have to do lots of had washing right now but more than likely start to use more hand sanitizer.

Is hand washing really going away over hand sanitizer?
Is this the thread you are referring to: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34426
Tags:hand sanitizer, wash hands
Reply Up