Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Any NEWER Childcare Home Providers In Cols Ohio?
jly 05:21 PM 06-29-2013
I currently work as a preschool Instructor in my local school district (20 yrs) my home situation has changed (we unexpectedly adopted .(long story)..and 2 new grandchildren). I am seriously thinking about opening my own home child care business. I am in the process of completing all requirements from the state (1 class to go). I want to know if any of you have recently (past year or so) opened your own home child care program and if so how is it going? What's been the hardest part of all of it? Was it difficult for you to find/retain families? etc..... any info would be greatly appreciated.
SilverSabre25 07:35 PM 06-29-2013
I'll be honest with you--unless you are in a part of the city that needs childcare providers, or are charging VERY cheaply, it's going to be hard.

I struggle to fill spots constantly. Parents around here just want cheap, cheap, cheap, and a sprinkling of special schedules and things like that. All the providers I know in this area struggle to fill spots, and if you just check the Craigslist childcare listings you'll see how glutted we are with clients.

I wish you luck There are several of us on here from columbus
jly 12:09 PM 07-01-2013
I am debating whether to go the title XX route. I wonder if it's worth the headache. I am a very organized person and can handle the paperwork on my end, I just worry about any parents keeping up their end of the paperwork. Anyone taking title XX having problems keeping kids/families? Do you take title XX? I refuse to go cheap cheap cheap...my time with my family is to precious. I have seen a parent complain about paying her provider while clutching a coach purse and sipping her starbucks!!! REALLY
MrsSteinel'sHouse 03:43 PM 07-01-2013
Since Ohio switched to the POS, swipe cards it is so much easier. I was a little nervous but the pay is direct deposited and no paperwork!!
That said I try to keep my county kids to one family at a time. They do tend to be the more unreliable. THat said I have an awesome mom now and have had no issues whatsoever!
OH and since they move to paying full or part time instead of by the hour it is so much better!!
Reply Up