Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>SA toys
DCMomOf3 11:08 AM 09-22-2010
I really need to re-energize my SA (mostly boys) toy collection. What I have is not interesting them anymore and as I look around it doesn't seem like much since I focus on the younger kids most of the day. I have action figures, hot wheels, puzzles, legos, books. I also have art supplies but after school they don't want to do more of that. I send them outside when I can too. I would love suggestions on what to add.
Jenjo 12:40 PM 09-22-2010
boxes and blankets.
SilverSabre25 01:17 PM 09-22-2010
Do you have hot wheels race track? If not those are pretty inexpensive. Have you tried asking *them* what they would like to play with/what sorts of toys *they* would like to see you add to the collection?
misol 02:50 PM 09-22-2010
Originally Posted by Quincy:
I really need to re-energize my SA (mostly boys) toy collection. What I have is not interesting them anymore and as I look around it doesn't seem like much since I focus on the younger kids most of the day. I have action figures, hot wheels, puzzles, legos, books. I also have art supplies but after school they don't want to do more of that. I send them outside when I can too. I would love suggestions on what to add.
This sounds like a pretty good selection to me. I haven't had any SAs yet, but when I get some, they are going to have snack, unwind for a bit, and then get started on homework! I don't anticipate there will be much playing. Am I wrong to assume that this will be the case?
momofsix 02:55 PM 09-22-2010
I think it sounds like you already have plenty for them to do. Asking them is a good idea too, just be prepared for "video games!"
DCMomOf3 03:52 PM 09-22-2010
Originally Posted by misol:
This sounds like a pretty good selection to me. I haven't had any SAs yet, but when I get some, they are going to have snack, unwind for a bit, and then get started on homework! I don't anticipate there will be much playing. Am I wrong to assume that this will be the case?
They don't have homework at our school for K and 1st grade, and that is who I have right now.

Originally Posted by momofsix:
I think it sounds like you already have plenty for them to do. Asking them is a good idea too, just be prepared for "video games!"
I have gotten that answer in the past so I don't want to ask again. LOL. They do get one video game day a week, with the parents ok and good behavior at school. I will have to word it right to actually make them think of ideas.
DCMomOf3 03:54 PM 09-22-2010
Originally Posted by Jenjo:
boxes and blankets.
can I ask what do they do with them other than play ghost with the blankets and crash into everything ?
missnikki 04:05 PM 09-22-2010
My SA boys lovelovelove K'Nex, and any game that involves tossing/throwing things, like a magnetic dartboard, beanbag toss, Nerf Basketball hoops.
Hot Wheels racetrack definitely a good idea like a PP said.
I also have a fooseball table, a mini pool table, and an air hockey table I picked up cheap and I rotate every couple of weeks. I have a catalog that I order from called Mindware, that has lots and lots of cool things like building toys, a marble run, science stuff, card games, and logic puzzles.
As far as board games, the favorites:
-Operation 'Hulk' version
-Sorry
-Perfection
-Mousetrap
-Connect Four
-Mastermind (older kids 8+)
-Battleship (older kids 8+)
MARSTELAC 06:21 PM 09-22-2010
My SA's (and the little ones too) love boxes and blankets. We make forts all over the house! It keeps them busy for a long time and clean-up isn't too horrible. I have asked what they want to play with and the first answer is always video games. I allow them for a short time on a Friday afternoon and only if it is inclement weather. They really are happy when they can be outside tossing a football, playing baseball or hide & seek. My latest surprise though was when the male SA's saw my little dcg's playing with paper dolls. They wanted to play but wanted boy dolls. I found civil war and prairie family paper dolls (and a host of other types) from Dover Publications. You can find them online and order a catalog. I can't believe how long the boys will sit and play with these! Good luck!
SilverSabre25 07:13 PM 09-22-2010
blocks, marble run, lincoln logs
Abigail 08:37 PM 09-22-2010
Can you ask parents what their kids like to play with at home or at their friends? You can let them know you try your best to keep up with the changing times of toys and want to avoid electronics. Maybe it will spark an interest in the parents to actually think about what they do with their kids at home and how well they know them!
Chickenhauler 12:12 AM 09-23-2010
Originally Posted by misol:
Yup, they've been pent up sitting in a chair all day, your only hope is duct tape to keep them restrained for much more!

If you have the safe space for it (we do) bicycles can really burn off that excess energy.
melskids 03:03 AM 09-23-2010
after a long day at school, all they really want to do is run free (re:wild...lol) so we just spend as much time outside as we can. we have snack outside, and even do homework at the picnic table.

at first i had all these hopes and plans, but really, they just want to unwind.

they each leave a bike and helmet here as well, the boys love that.

but when the weather is bad, or during are looooong cold winters, they do like legos, knex, board games, matchbox cars, bionicles, the marble run, & some craft stuff. the girls LOVE polly pockets, my little ponies, and the kitchen area. they ALL love the computer, and all the games are educational, so i dont feel too guilty letting them play.
Reply Up