Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Usually Say When Asked About Your Profession?
Binkybobo 07:34 AM 12-17-2012
This past weekend the CEO of my husband's job invited us toa wine bar with his wife and one other employee. When we sat down they asked the other worker's wife what her profession was, and she went on and on about being a nurse and they seemed very impressed. I wanted to dissappear at this moment because i just knew they'd be asking me next! I love what i do, and many childcare providers make much moreor the sameper week as an LVN, but when I tell people they usually automatically think"oh you're a baby sitter." They asked me a little later and I had enough wine in me to completelty dress up my occupation in a way that impressed everyone in the room. I never once said home daycare, the explanation wasmore along the lines of very classy homeschool preschooling.....sell out..I know. What do you guys usually say? What are people's reaction? Does it bother you? My first experience with this was at the grocery store. i was carrying on a great conversation with the casheir. She asked me why i had so many snacks? Were they after school munchies? I smiled and proudly told her no, I have a home daycare. She looked down at the scanner and never said another word. Alll I coud here was the beeping of groceries being scanned after that. What's that about?
Meyou 07:39 AM 12-17-2012
I say I have a home daycare.
Willow 07:47 AM 12-17-2012
I don't think you sold out!

When asked I share that I'm self employed, own my own business, and I'm a licensed daycare provider.

It's all the truth, I work incredibly hard, and I think I deserve to be proud of what I've accomplished

My dilemma comes in when people then start talking about trouble they're having with their own daycares and I'm left to either play Sweden and try to stay neutral or risk venturing into the *omg that's horrible I can't believe you're putting up with that get the heck out* territory
Angelwings36 07:47 AM 12-17-2012
I am a childcare provider and operate a daycare business.
Binkybobo 07:48 AM 12-17-2012
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I say I have a home daycare.
I see where you are going with this. I think it may be a little different in my area with being in an area so close to Jessica Tata. I don't think people in my area view daycare owners as sweet women caring for children. I think their mind goes more towards an evil, lazy woman laying on the couch yelling at babies! t least that's what I thought at the grocery store.
Blackcat31 07:49 AM 12-17-2012
Originally Posted by Binkybobo:
What do you guys usually say?
I say I run a family child care business or I do daycare.

What are people's reaction?
Usually I hear, "Oh I could never do that" or "Are you crazy?" or some variation of that.

All to which I reply, "Yeah, it isn't a career choice for everyone and not everyone could do it but it works for me."

Does it bother you?
Does what bother me?

The fact that others couldn't do it or that they think I might be crazy?
No, neither one bothers me.

If you are referring to the mentality of people who believe we are just glorified babysitters......no, that doesn't bother me either.

I get to make a difference in people's lives. I get to color all day if I want and take time off when I want and pretty much not have to answer to anyone other than myself and if others don't like that or label the job in some not so "professional" terms, I still don't care. That is on them.

TOO MANY PEOPLE ALLOW OTHERS TO DEFINE THEM.

My first experience with this was at the grocery store. i was carrying on a great conversation with the casheir. She asked me why i had so many snacks? Were they after school munchies? I smiled and proudly told her no, I have a home daycare. She looked down at the scanner and never said another word. Alll I coud here was the beeping of groceries being scanned after that. What's that about?
I would assume the cashier didn't know what to say or who knows has her own opinion of child care....either way, her feelings are on her not you. If you are proud of what you do and you do it well, you owe no one an explanation or long drawn out reply as to what you do for a living.

I have opinions of people who choose to go into the mortuary field or choose to be septic draining people but hey, to each his own and obviously like child care, septic systems need attention as much as any other thing in life so really it is all in how you view yourself!

Stand up and be proud of what you do.
allsmiles 08:00 AM 12-17-2012
awww.. i can see how you would have felt uncomfortable..
i say that i have a daycare.. its CRAZY to me how its held with so much esteem that you own a daycare outside your home vs owning one in your home?? i mean its the same thing?? a lot less overhead LOL
Binkybobo 08:07 AM 12-17-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I say I run a family child care business or I do daycare.

Usually I hear, "Oh I could never do that" or "Are you crazy?" or some variation of that.

All to which I reply, "Yeah, it isn't a career choice for everyone and not everyone could do it but it works for me."

Does what bother me?

The fact that others couldn't do it or that they think I might be crazy?
No, neither one bothers me.

If you are referring to the mentality of people who believe we are just glorified babysitters......no, that doesn't bother me either.

I get to make a difference in people's lives. I get to color all day if I want and take time off when I want and pretty much not have to answer to anyone other than myself and if others don't like that or label the job in some not so "professional" terms, I still don't care. That is on them.

TOO MANY PEOPLE ALLOW OTHERS TO DEFINE THEM.

I would assume the cashier didn't know what to say or who knows has her own opinion of child care....either way, her feelings are on her not you. If you are proud of what you do and you do it well, you owe no one an explanation or long drawn out reply as to what you do for a living.

I have opinions of people who choose to go into the mortuary field or choose to be septic draining people but hey, to each his own and obviously like child care, septic systems need attention as much as any other thing in life so really it is all in how you view yourself!

Stand up and be proud of what you do.
I have always been one tht believes that man is what he thinks he is, but I guess now I'll have to practice what I preach. I am so used to being able to say, "I'm the Theater Arts Director at blah blah blah prepatory Academy!" and having the whole room hang onto my every single word. The truth is I've had a lot of fancy job titles, but none of them have paid me as much or brought me as much freedom and happiness as being a home daycare provider has. I'll just have to hold my head high and proclaim to the world,"I AM A GLORIFIED BABY SITTER, and I love it." end of story
Binkybobo 08:08 AM 12-17-2012
Originally Posted by ladyquana:
i say that i have a daycare.. its CRAZY to me how its held with so much esteem that you own a daycare outside your home vs owning one in your home?? i mean its the same thing?? a lot less overhead LOL
Yeah, I know. I did the math, and having a buiding just doesn't make since to me.
williams2008 08:09 AM 12-17-2012
I always tell them I am a childcare provider. I always hear "are you crazy, I could not do that, or you must be a special person to deal with kids all day". It doesn't bother me at all, sometimes I think I'm crazy, so it works out perfectly!

I love what I do, I love not having to answer to a higher authority, and I just love that I work in the comfort of my own own
Childminder 08:20 AM 12-17-2012
I am the president of a small corporation that deals with the care and development of children under the age of five.
Blackcat31 08:21 AM 12-17-2012
Yeah, I know. I did the math, and having a buiding just doesn't make since to me.
It isn't always about the money.

Sometimes the benefits are much more valuable than a dollar.
Willow 08:23 AM 12-17-2012
Originally Posted by Childminder:
I am the president of a small corporation that deals with the care and development of children under the age of five.

LOVE this.
Binkybobo 08:29 AM 12-17-2012
It isn't always about the money.

Sometimes the benefits are much more valuable than a dollar.
Definitely. I just don't see the benefit of hiring people, and having 100 children. i like the small, clode group that I have. They learn a lot here, but they get to fall asleep on the couch in the morning occasionally if they are not feeling well. If I have a day where there is only 1 or 2 we leave to get our nails done together or frozen yogurt. I don't see the benefit for me of having a large, commercial daycare.
allsmiles 08:34 AM 12-17-2012
had the same issue working outside the home.. i worked for a government agency but my position because we didnt deal with the public was looked down on.. the positions out in the "field" were held at more stature.. I was very happy about my pay and my responsibilities but it still hurt JUST A LITTLE when ppl said "oh" followed by an awkward silence.. when i told them what i did. BUT if i told them WHO I WORKED FOR.. they would be liek "REALLY, oh i have so many questions blah blah blah" .LOL but whatever.. like you said we just have to work on being okay what we do, but until then, i am good about being VERY general HAHA..
me :i have a daycare..
them "oh wow, really!! thats awesome!!, i would love to have my own business, daycare makes ALOT of money!!"
me:
allsmiles 08:36 AM 12-17-2012
Definitely. I just don't see the benefit of hiring people, and having 100 children. i like the small, clode group that I have. They learn a lot here, but they get to fall asleep on the couch in the morning occasionally if they are not feeling well. If I have a day where there is only 1 or 2 we leave to get our nails done together or frozen yogurt. I don't see the benefit for me of having a large, commercial daycare.
awww thats so cute! i wouldnt mind doing it one day..well not 100, maybe 30 LOL BUT i just dont understand why its looked at differently??
familyschoolcare 08:40 AM 12-17-2012
I run a school aged day care out of my house, is my usual response. I usually get asked so you pick the kids up from school, you help them with homework, how many kids do you watch? When I tell people I only watch 6 children at a time. They usually say something like 6 really that many?
Play Care 08:43 AM 12-17-2012
Originally Posted by Willow:
I don't think you sold out!

When asked I share that I'm self employed, own my own business, and I'm a licensed daycare provider.

It's all the truth, I work incredibly hard, and I think I deserve to be proud of what I've accomplished

My dilemma comes in when people then start talking about trouble they're having with their own daycares and I'm left to either play Sweden and try to stay neutral or risk venturing into the *omg that's horrible I can't believe you're putting up with that get the heck out* territory
YES! One of my issues is that people always want me to "talk shop" in a way that I don't think they would with anyone else (can you see asking the doctor you just met at a cocktail party about the boil on your neck?! )
I am very proud of what I do, I make very good money doing what I do, and the "fringe" benefits of my job are AMAZING. But honestly the LAST thing I want to dicuss while out enjoying a glass (or two) of wine is the problem someone is having with their dc.
Mom&Provider 08:46 AM 12-17-2012
I can understand why you felt a bit out of place, I have on occasion also, but I think there are many many benefits to what we do, even tho it isn't very prestigious it's totally worth it!

I also used to tell people what I did for a living, before I started daycare, and they were always very interested and asked more questions about what I did etc. Now, I get the same as most have commented "I could never do that", "bless your heart, how do you do it!?"

I don't like it when people say or feel like we are glorified babysitters! Babysitters order in pizza to someone elses home, they invite their boyfriends over to watch a movie after the kids are in bed and they go home at 11 pm once adults come to get them! LOL! There is sooo much more to what we do...not to mention the fact that we are CEO, CFO and all the rest! It's something great to run and own our own businesses and we should be proud!

I for one like the time I have with my own kids, my ability to take them to after school things easily and on time no rushing, serve healthy meals (most days!) vs those on the run like alot of parents have to do to get to where they are going after work. I also like to be the boss, have my time off when I want it and I don't have to go anywhere in the morning...other then my front door when it rings! Lots of perks if you ask me...but that's what being a CEO means!
Binkybobo 08:47 AM 12-17-2012
had the same issue working outside the home.. i worked for a government agency but my position because we didnt deal with the public was looked down on.. the positions out in the "field" were held at more stature.. I was very happy about my pay and my responsibilities but it still hurt JUST A LITTLE when ppl said "oh" followed by an awkward silence.. when i told them what i did. BUT if i told them WHO I WORKED FOR.. they would be liek "REALLY, oh i have so many questions blah blah blah" .LOL but whatever.. like you said we just have to work on being okay what we do, but until then, i am good about being VERY general HAHA..
me :i have a daycare..
them "oh wow, really!! thats awesome!!, i would love to have my own business, daycare makes ALOT of money!!"
me:
A lot of money! Yeah right! That CEO spent my monthly earnings plus I am sure on a bottle of wine that was dare I say ONE YEAR OLDER THAN ME!!!! I know it's best in society for us to say that these things don't bother us on a small level, but it does. It is looked down on to say that you don't like your hair, or you don't like your body shape. I love what I do, but I am not afraid to admit that sometimes I'm reluctant to admit it. I am really not as shallow as I may sound. I'm just admitting to something that we may have all felt at some time. I appreciate your honesty!!!
Country Kids 08:48 AM 12-17-2012
OK, here's what I said at a class reunion. I was a researcher in the field of child development and had several subjects that I studied at a time.

Mouths dropped-
allsmiles 08:51 AM 12-17-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
OK, here's what I said at a class reunion. I was a researcher in the field of child development and had several subjects that I studied at a time.

Mouths dropped-
i bet!!! LOL
Evansmom 09:02 AM 12-17-2012
I just always say I own my own business. And if it goes farther than that I say I have a small group of children that I teach in my home which is true.

But as I write this I feel sad that our society doesn't value the profession of caregivers more. I know what the OP was talking about feeling that kind of sinking feeling when you tell someone what you do. It's absolutely not that what we do isn't valuable and really really important because it IS! It's just that society doesn't value us and that's really sad. What could be more wonderful than giving care to others??? The love we give and that we receive from these kids and the appreciation we get from their parents is worth more to me than money or prestige.
Binkybobo 09:07 AM 12-17-2012
Originally Posted by Evansmom:
I just always say I own my own business. And if it goes farther than that I say I have a small group of children that I teach in my home which is true.

But as I write this I feel sad that our society doesn't value the profession of caregivers more. I know what the OP was talking about feeling that kind of sinking feeling when you tell someone what you do. It's absolutely not that what we do isn't valuable and really really important because it IS! It's just that society doesn't value us and that's really sad. What could be more wonderful than giving care to others??? The love we give and that we receive from these kids and the appreciation we get from their parents is worth more to me than money or prestige.
This is so true. Last night my husband and i were watching a soecial on children born into royalty when they mentioned a college for nannies which i believe is in London. I was so impressed! I would love to go to a nanny college no joke. I figured that we didn't have things like that here because people don't want a woman like the nanny on the show super nanny. They don't want a knowledgable Mary Poppins. They want someone who will watch their child for dirt cheap. In most cases that is the only criteria...very sad
blandino 09:12 AM 12-17-2012
Yes, I always say I OWN a Preschool / daycare. Or say I am a preschool teacher, or a childcare provider. I used to say it because it sounded nicer, but when I thought about it - my kids do and learn way more than any preschool I know of.

In all honesty, sometimes I feel like the word daycare is what some people are turned off by. I think all of a sudden they get all of these awful connotations, no matter how off base they are.
Binkybobo 09:22 AM 12-17-2012
Could this be a result of women's liberation? A few decades ago women fought hard to break the stigma of barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen. There is nothing wrong with being a SAHM. There is nothing wrong with not being a SAHM. i think when people hear home daycare, they think SAHM that baby sits instead of WAHM. Again I say women should be allowed to saty at home and not work if that's what they want, and they can afford it. I just think the women who fought to get out of the house had to raise extreme argumants that changed the way we look at women who do not wear power suits and go to the office on a daily basis. IDK, I was in the backyard pretending to be a farmer with 3 year olds when this popped into my head.
Binkybobo 09:30 AM 12-17-2012
Could this be a result of women's liberation? A few decades ago women fought hard to break the stigma of barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen. There is nothing wrong with being a SAHM. There is nothing wrong with not being a SAHM. i think when people hear home daycare, they think SAHM that baby sits instead of WAHM. Again I say women should be allowed to saty at home and not work if that's what they want, and they can afford it. I just think the women who fought to get out of the house had to raise extreme argumants that changed the way we look at women who do not wear power suits and go to the office on a daily basis. IDK, I was in the backyard pretending to be a farmer with 3 year olds when this popped into my head.
I have to aologize for this because I realize that there are also many men that are home daycare providers who face the same struggles.
DCMom 09:46 AM 12-17-2012
Love it! I'm using this from now on
bunnyslippers 10:07 AM 12-17-2012
I have to be honest. I usually don't tell people that I have a home daycare. Sounds silly, I know. I tend to say that I am staying home with my kids for a few years, until they are old enough for me to go back to teaching in a public school.

I used to have a pretty high powered job in a public school system, and it garnered a lot of respect. Being a home daycare provider has a stigma attached to it around here, and it isn't one I enjoy. So, I tend to shy away from telling strangers about it.
Lyss 10:14 AM 12-17-2012

I get this all the time too, or "wow you must have your hands full!" Honestly I rarely get the "positive" ones, But I just smile and respond the same as BC.

I understand how you feel though. My inlaws are always making comments about how its too bad I "don't have a career" Umm really? Thankfully DH usually steps in on that one before I snap out something just as rude. Like it or not a lot of society take people like us for granted and looks down on us. They shouldn't but it happens way to much.

Originally Posted by Willow:
I hate when the conversation turns to this! I have on many occasions got "Do you think my DCP charges to much?" or "do you think I have rights to..." I really try to play Sweden or suggest they consult their contract because, friends or not, I know from my experience with DC parents things aren't always as they see them.

I'm gonna have to try out some of the suggested "titles" listed here and see what reactions I get!
Crystal 10:16 AM 12-17-2012
"I own a home-based Early Care and Education Program"
itlw8 10:20 AM 12-17-2012
I am a small business owner. I run a preschool out of my home.
Binkybobo 10:34 AM 12-17-2012
Clever, clever!
I am so thankful for this forum!
I just imagined myself saying this at the get together then following it with, "I own a small home daycare." We would have all laughed. They would know that I take my job seriously, and we could have quickly moved on. Instead, I gave a 5 minute explanation and used all of the big words that I could think of!
Crazy8 10:46 AM 12-17-2012
I just say I run a home daycare. They can think what they want about it - I love what I do and it pays the bills too - not everyone can say that about their jobs!
Evansmom 12:44 PM 12-17-2012
I've often thought of this too and you're right, for some it may be kind of a backlash to the women's lib movement. I feel like there are some different interpretations of women's lib and unfortunately one of them is to "look down" upon women who choose to stay home or to raise kids which we all here know is SO ridiculous! I work 50 hours per week! I also cook from scratch and take care of my house and my 3 children and my family. I'm as busy as any momma who works out of the home!

I believe that though the women libbers that came before us fought for equal rights in the workplace what they were really fighting for was for women to live in a world where we can choose to do ANYTHING we want to. Because of this I can choose to stay home and care for my children, I can work from home and care for children of women who choose to go to work outside the home. In this way we all support each other.
MamaG 12:53 PM 12-17-2012
I always very proudly state I'm a child care provider. I mold little people into fine you g children, confident and ready to take on school when they leave. There isn't another profession (except maybe teacher) that comes close to the impact and power we have on this world. The foundation of a house is rarely seen, barely talked about, and to the unknowing not of importance. But those fancy windows, pretty gingerbread, are nothing if the foundation crumbles.

I don't care what others think of what I do. I know it's importance. I am proud of what I do.
MarinaVanessa 12:54 PM 12-17-2012
This has happened to me too .

I simply say that I'm a licensed child care provider. When they ask (and you know that they will) what exactly that means I follow it by saying that I started my own daycare business in my home.

Quite a few times Ive had someone then say "Oh, you're a babysitter." And I had to politely deny it and say that I was once when I was a teenager and then I worked as a nanny later in my 20's and that there was a difference. If I get that look of confusion I continue by asking what they do ... once someone said he was a computer programmer .... so I said "Oh you're an IT guy" to which of course he was a little offended by and then you could see the realization hit him and I knew he got my point and so then all I have to do is smile.

I've used this scenario DOZENS of times. I for one am one of those that is bothered my being called a babysitter so I always clarify when I am called one.

Other professions I've used it with
Medical assistant = Nurse
Janitor = Maintenence Supervisor
Bank Teller = Financial Advisor
Insurance Agent = Medical Benefit Advisor
Receptionist = Personal Assistant
Secretary = Front Office Manager
**The first is what I called them and the second is what they actually did for a living (these are the ones that I can remember of the top of head).
LK5kids 01:02 PM 12-17-2012
I soooo agree! I did own a larger center and it drove me nuts. Not for me!
I LOVE FCC!
Licensing in my state is so stringent for FCC. It's the same for home or center.
MamaG 01:09 PM 12-17-2012
Originally Posted by Evansmom:
I've often thought of this too and you're right, for some it may be kind of a backlash to the women's lib movement. I feel like there are some different interpretations of women's lib and unfortunately one of them is to "look down" upon women who choose to stay home or to raise kids which we all here know is SO ridiculous! I work 50 hours per week! I also cook from scratch and take care of my house and my 3 children and my family. I'm as busy as any momma who works out of the home!

I believe that though the women libbers that came before us fought for equal rights in the workplace what they were really fighting for was for women to live in a world where we can choose to do ANYTHING we want to. Because of this I can choose to stay home and care for my children, I can work from home and care for children of women who choose to go to work outside the home. In this way we all support each other.
I dare say you might work harder then moms who work outside the house. They get breaks, no bodily fluids to clean up, no back talk, I personally have never had a job as hard as this one (including soldier in the Army)! This job takes a special kind of person, very rare kind of person.
spud912 01:11 PM 12-17-2012
My favorite is when they ask how many children I watch. You should see their face when I tell them 6! Why is it inconceivable to imagine taking care of (and good care) of more than 1 or 2 children at a time? It is completely manageable once you get the hang of it. I still think it's hilarious to see people's reactions when I take the bunch out for a walk .
LK5kids 01:18 PM 12-17-2012
I have a hard time with this too. It feels better that I'm not alone! I just left a professional position as an early childhood specialist and parent educator to open my FCC home. After 14 yrs. of being very proud of my position I'm hesitant to elaborate on what I do.

I do have people in my community backing me 100%, so that feels good.

I LOVE FCC. We had the financial ability to open a large center....I considered it for a nano second. Been there, done that. It's not for me.

When people ask me what I do I say, "I own a child care center and preschool."

Thanks for posting this question!
Binkybobo 02:44 PM 12-17-2012
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
This has happened to me too .

I simply say that I'm a licensed child care provider. When they ask (and you know that they will) what exactly that means I follow it by saying that I started my own daycare business in my home.

Quite a few times Ive had someone then say "Oh, you're a babysitter." And I had to politely deny it and say that I was once when I was a teenager and then I worked as a nanny later in my 20's and that there was a difference. If I get that look of confusion I continue by asking what they do ... once someone said he was a computer programmer .... so I said "Oh you're an IT guy" to which of course he was a little offended by and then you could see the realization hit him and I knew he got my point and so then all I have to do is smile.

I've used this scenario DOZENS of times. I for one am one of those that is bothered my being called a babysitter so I always clarify when I am called one.

**The first is what I called them and the second is what they actually did for a living (these are the ones that I can remember of the top of head).
....Love this. I just don't think I'd have the guts to say it, but they started it!
MNMum 02:45 PM 12-17-2012
I run a home daycare 4 days per week and continue to work about two days per month as a NICU RN or Lactation Consultant. The home daycare is twice the work, for half the pay, but I'm home for my kids
MissAnn 03:13 PM 12-17-2012
I am a preschool teacher. I have a preschool in my home.
Unregistered 03:33 PM 12-17-2012
Very good points here.

There is already some confusion out there in the distinction between a babysitter and a nanny, I can only imagine that it is the same confusion between a nanny and a day care owner that does much more.

We have not started yet but it is great to read insights like this.
Holiday Park 03:41 PM 12-17-2012
Originally Posted by MNMum:
I run a home daycare 4 days per week and continue to work about two days per month as a NICU RN or Lactation Consultant. The home daycare is twice the work, for half the pay, but I'm home for my kids
Wow those other two things you do is what I would love to do on the side ! How great that you can switch between thre reqarding jobs that ALL have to do with directly benefiting the health and well being of a baby/child . Bring a "lactavist" I actually have on my website that I provide lactation advice (only to clients) if ever needed. I have so much personal experience to share with others ;-) .
littlemissmuffet 03:47 PM 12-17-2012
I simply say I own and operate a successful daycare. I am not the least bit embarrassed, because I know how few can do this job, and do it well.
Cat Herder 03:53 PM 12-17-2012
I often have to go to conferences where people know DH and I from my former fast paced/competitive career. I always get asked "So what are you doing now?"

I always tell them that I hit a goldmine.

I explain that I found a way to double my income, cut my taxes, get to be home for my husband & kids every day while having off every night, weekend and holiday.

The family oriented people at the table are usually all ears, the catty pretentious people are left shuffling awkwardly in their seats.
christine19720 04:03 PM 12-17-2012
Early Childhood Educator
AnneCordelia 05:09 PM 12-17-2012
I say I operate a small daycare in my home. I have a great program and am proud of it! I always have business cards handy too....everyone knows someone who needs good daycare.
daycaremom76 08:44 PM 12-17-2012
Every time I get asked this I can feel my skin turning red, because once I tell them what I do it's usually followed by questions about their obnoxious child or just silence. Three years ago I quit a prestigious job to do this and I guess people think I took a pay cut which is completely the opposite. From some people who didn't know where I worked prior I feel like they think I am uneducated so I have to be a "babysitter" cause after all how much knowledge does it take to change diapers and watch tv all day. I've had 8 kids at one time, now I have 6 but I get the OMG how can you handle that??? I even get that from new parents that interview and find out how many I have. People are also under the impression that we work for the parents and we have to do whatever they tell us to do. I get the question "How do you handle so many instructions from parents or don't you get tired of being bossed around by parents all day. Usually when they find out that "I" am in charge of my daycare, "I" tell my parent's when I am open/closed, "I" tell my parent's when I take vacations, "I" tell my parents when I am closed WITH PAY, "I" decide what happens at my daycare and no one tells me what to do they usually change their tone and are like THAT'S GREAT! I post pictures all day to facebook of the fun we have & my working friends get so jealous! I've also gotten the comments like "your able to pay the bills?" I don't think people realize how much money is in daycare and come tax time, we make a killer!!!!
melskids 04:37 AM 12-18-2012
I am a glorified a$$ wiper just like the three generations before me.

I am at a point where I am tired of justifying what I do to narrow minded people. I am sarcastic and have no filter, so this is what usually slips out of my mouth before I have time to think about what I'm going to say.

In all seriousness though, if someone is genuinely interested, I usually just say I am a childcare provider.
Blackcat31 06:26 AM 12-18-2012
Originally Posted by melskids:
I am a glorified a$$ wiper just like the three generations before me.

I am at a point where I am tired of justifying what I do to narrow minded people. I am sarcastic and have no filter, so this is what usually slips out of my mouth before I have time to think about what I'm going to say.

In all seriousness though, if someone is genuinely interested, I usually just say I am a childcare provider.
I really the way you think.

I got tired of defending myself years ago. I couldn't care less what others think I do or don't do when I say "daycare provider".

Apparently doing what we do is tough for parents too or we wouldn't be complaining all the time about all these kids left in our care for so many hours per day every day.

It is what it is and no matter what lable others give it, I pay my bills no problem, don't work nights, weekends or holidays, know EXACTLY when I will get a raise and don't have to answer to anyone other than me. Can't really ask for a better job.

Atleast the sometimes crabby obnoxious co-workers I have nap every day for a couple hours.
countrymom 06:50 AM 12-18-2012
I have to agree with you all. Why is it that the minute you tell them what you do, its like a silence comes. Like really, I make more money than those that work at walmart, but walmart employees rank higher than me.
snips&snails 07:39 AM 12-18-2012
I don't think you sold out - I think you helped change a few people's perspectives
Binkybobo 07:45 AM 12-18-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I have to agree with you all. Why is it that the minute you tell them what you do, its like a silence comes. Like really, I make more money than those that work at walmart, but walmart employees rank higher than me.
IKR! The grocery clerk looked down her nose at me? What? I know it's not all about money. I never looked down at her for being a grocery scanner, which is a job I worked for minimum wage when I was 17 years old.
renodeb 07:55 AM 12-18-2012
When the subject comes up I say " I run a child care out of my home". I often get the " I could never do that remark" or the "how do you care for all the kids at once, I couldnt stand all the crying. If someone I know asks me if I still do that baby sitting thing I usually just say yes. (get tired of explaining it) I think a lot of people just dont understand the concept of a home based child care. Usually as soon as I mention that Im licensed people understand. I think my answer depends on the company Im in.
Deb
originalkat 08:12 AM 12-18-2012
I say, "I own a home-based childcare and preschool."
wdmmom 08:26 AM 12-18-2012
I am the owner and operator of a daycare.

I quit caring what others think a long time ago. I see how much money I make each year on my tax returns. Im happy with it and the bank is happy with it so I dont see a problem. After all, isnt that really all that matters?!

I have a dcd that specializes in detecting hearing and vision loss in young children. If you ask him what he does, he'll tell you the same thing everyday. He says, " I work with preschoolers all day." Sounds like a good job to me!
Lyss 09:28 AM 12-18-2012
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
so I said "Oh you're an IT guy" to which of course he was a little offended by and then you could see the realization hit him and I knew he got my point and so then all I have to do is smile.

I'm totally using this!!!
ninosqueridos 11:42 AM 12-18-2012
I say I run a home daycare which *I* am proud of. BUT the problem is my DH is embarrased to tell people what I do...especially his colleagues. . He tells them I work from home, meaning I still do my "former professional career" except I do it from home. So office functions I pretty much lie and talk about my former cubicle life. It is interesting because if it wasn't for home daycare, we would not be paying off our huge mortgage in three more years!!
clep 06:06 PM 12-18-2012
I say "I run a business educating and shaping the young minds that will be running the country during your retirement".
Tags:daycare, daycare - experience
Reply Up