Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty-training and Naps
Josiegirl 10:39 AM 09-23-2013
My very precocious and currently almost trained 2 1/2 year is doing very well with her potty training. She'll be 3 in December and has been in big girl undies for a couple weeks now. Pull-ups at naptime. Course she hardly ever naps. And she's doing so well that she has to get up 3, 4, sometimes 5 times during the afternoon rest time. Grrrr.... I can't say no. Can I? No, not really cause if I do she'll end up screaming. Some of the others can be light sleepers so it can be disruptive, especially if she's not all that quiet.
So how do you handle those trainers during naps?
Shell 11:36 AM 09-23-2013
Do you really think she needs to go potty that many times, or has she figured out that is a great excuse to get off her mat and not nap?

What I do with the kids that are potty training is to make sure they go potty after lunch time- it's part of our routine. Then, once in a pull up, I give them at least the 40 minutes that is the required "rest time" in my state to stay on their mat. After the 40 minutes, which I feel is a reasonable amount of time to not have to go potty again, I would let the child up to go potty if needed. Of course, if a child needed to go BM or had any bladder issues, I would let them go at anytime. This system seems to work well around here.
Blackcat31 11:43 AM 09-23-2013
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
My very precocious and currently almost trained 2 1/2 year is doing very well with her potty training. She'll be 3 in December and has been in big girl undies for a couple weeks now. Pull-ups at naptime. Course she hardly ever naps. And she's doing so well that she has to get up 3, 4, sometimes 5 times during the afternoon rest time. Grrrr.... I can't say no. Can I? No, not really cause if I do she'll end up screaming. Some of the others can be light sleepers so it can be disruptive, especially if she's not all that quiet.
So how do you handle those trainers during naps?
Part of being completely toilet trained is being able to go a certain length of time without needing use the restroom.

What I would do is have her go potty right before nap time. Explain to her that she will not be allowed to get up during nap time to use the rest room.

I think that now that she is made this much progress the next step is learning to eliminate BEFORE nap time...kwim?

After a while many kids learn that using "having to go potty" as an excuse to get up works so they keep doing it to avid taking a nap or having to stay down during rest period.

Unless your rest period is a really long time, I don't see anything wrong with starting to teach her that she needs to go BEFORE nap time.
Margarete 11:46 AM 09-23-2013
Only a couple of weeks potty training is hard. My twin dck's usual bowel movements were at about nap time, so they often needed to get up shortly after laying down when they first started potty training. Now they occasionally do, and I allow it, but it's not constant. If they get up to go potty they have to stay on the potty till they are finished, and I keep it as boring as possible. If/when they get up, they go right back to bed, and that's the last time.
JoseyJo 11:49 AM 09-23-2013
Originally Posted by mrsmichelle:
Do you really think she needs to go potty that many times, or has she figured out that is a great excuse to get off her mat and not nap?

What I do with the kids that are potty training is to make sure they go potty after lunch time- it's part of our routine. Then, once in a pull up, I give them at least the 40 minutes that is the required "rest time" in my state to stay on their mat. After the 40 minutes, which I feel is a reasonable amount of time to not have to go potty again, I would let the child up to go potty if needed. Of course, if a child needed to go BM or had any bladder issues, I would let them go at anytime. This system seems to work well around here.
This is what I do also- Have them try to go potty right before nap, then need to lay down for 45 min or so, then if they need to go again they can, then they need to wait another 45 min. After going potty x2 at nap I don't allow it again until after nap No reason a child should need to go potty more than 4 times (before, after and 2 at nap) in 2.5 hours!!
spinnymarie 12:16 PM 09-23-2013
ITA with the others, she needs to go potty right before putting her pull-up on, and then not again for at least 45 m --- I would say an hour. If she actually sleeps and *wakes up* to go potty, I would let her, but if she is just lying there for a few minutes and then "going potty" over and over... she's just playing. Even if a tiny bit comes out each time... she doesn't actually *have* to go, she is just going. Her bladder surely goes longer than 15 minutes at other times of the day, yes?
Size18 12:48 PM 09-23-2013
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by mrsmichelle
That was my first thought, too. I'm old-school, so always diapered my kids (nap-time and night-time).
Tags:potty training
Reply Up