Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sick Days and Pay
LadyK8 09:37 AM 03-07-2014
Do you still charge for the days that you are sick, or closed due to an emergency?
Reply
craftymissbeth 09:39 AM 03-07-2014
I don't, but I know that a lot of providers do.
Reply
Maddy'sMommy 09:47 AM 03-07-2014
Same here. I do not charge for days that I am not available, but I know a lot of providers that do.
Reply
Leigh 10:02 AM 03-07-2014
I charge a flat rate weekly, regardless of any situation. I explain to parents that they are essentially leasing a spot, and to consider it tuition, just like at a school. I don't discount for vacation days, sick days or anything else. I figured when I started that I couldn't live with charging any less than I decided to charge. I made a lot of money at my last job working about 140 days a year. I work a lot more hours now for a lot less money. There is no reason, IMO, that parents can't pay for sick days. I had NO problem paying my provider for days off-I thought she deserved them (I told her more than once that she didn't take enough!). If parents don't feel the same about me, they can try to find someone else.
Reply
LadyK8 10:15 AM 03-07-2014
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I charge a flat rate weekly, regardless of any situation. I explain to parents that they are essentially leasing a spot, and to consider it tuition, just like at a school. I don't discount for vacation days, sick days or anything else. I figured when I started that I couldn't live with charging any less than I decided to charge. I made a lot of money at my last job working about 140 days a year. I work a lot more hours now for a lot less money. There is no reason, IMO, that parents can't pay for sick days. I had NO problem paying my provider for days off-I thought she deserved them (I told her more than once that she didn't take enough!). If parents don't feel the same about me, they can try to find someone else.
I never thought about it like that.
Reply
Blackcat31 10:25 AM 03-07-2014
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I charge a flat rate weekly, regardless of any situation. I explain to parents that they are essentially leasing a spot, and to consider it tuition, just like at a school. I don't discount for vacation days, sick days or anything else. I figured when I started that I couldn't live with charging any less than I decided to charge. I made a lot of money at my last job working about 140 days a year. I work a lot more hours now for a lot less money. There is no reason, IMO, that parents can't pay for sick days. I had NO problem paying my provider for days off-I thought she deserved them (I told her more than once that she didn't take enough!). If parents don't feel the same about me, they can try to find someone else.
Originally Posted by LadyK8:
I never thought about it like that.
Rates are based on enrollment NOT attendance.
Reply
LadyK8 10:31 AM 03-07-2014
Thank you Blackcat 31. Your advice has been very helpful to me this week.
Reply
drseuss 10:40 AM 03-07-2014
I don't charge for sick days, the main reason being that I could definitely see some parents thinking that I wasn't really sick. I once got Violently Ill about 6:00 one evening, and I called all my parents and told them that I was calling in for the next day. One of the parents all but accused me of taking a day I didn't need.

I do have a few holidays that are paid (not as many as a bank or municipal workers in more populated areas), and I take fifteen days of vacation per year, for which parents pay half the normal rate but only for the days that their child would be in attendance.
Reply
Blackcat31 10:56 AM 03-07-2014
Originally Posted by drseuss:
I don't charge for sick days, the main reason being that I could definitely see some parents thinking that I wasn't really sick. I once got Violently Ill about 6:00 one evening, and I called all my parents and told them that I was calling in for the next day. One of the parents all but accused me of taking a day I didn't need.
I don't understand this line of thinking...

Because a parent felt you were lying about being sick, you no longer charge for sick days??

Who cares if you are or aren't sick...if YOU, as the business owner, want to take time off work because you fell sick, that is your right to do and if a parent accused me of lying about that, then I would term them because I refuse to do business with some who doesn't respect, trust or believe me.
Reply
taylorw1210 10:58 AM 03-07-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't understand this line of thinking...

Because a parent felt you were lying about being sick, you no longer charge for sick days??

Who cares if you are or aren't sick...if YOU, as the business owner, want to take time off work because you fell sick, that is your right to do and if a parent accused me of lying about that, then I would term them because I refuse to do business with some who doesn't respect, trust or believe me.

Reply
taylorw1210 11:01 AM 03-07-2014
I took my first 2 sick days last month, and told the parents I would prorate their fee. Half voluntarily gave me the full amount while the other half paid the prorated amount. I will include in my next amended contract that I will take paid sick days up to a certain amount per calendar year, I think. I also worry that parents will think I'm abusing it, but Blackcat is right - if they think that then they must not trust me and if that's the case I shouldn't be caring for their children.
Reply
drseuss 11:06 AM 03-07-2014
I never did charge for sick days. But I wouldn't want my parents thinking that I was abusing that, and there are always 'those' parents, so I don't charge. Being made to feel like crap when you've got mount Vesuvius blowing out of your face is not a nice feeling. Jeez I hate calling in sick.

I make up for no sick pay in other ways-a few paid holidays and partial vacay pay. And besides, if I did get really sick and have to miss a whole week of work I wouldn't want families to have to pay for that. I do reserve the right to use vacation days when I am ill.

BTW, that family I am referring to did end up termed when I downsized at one point. Mom was nuts. She was the type who writes you a thesis on why she doesn't think you should be raising your rates by 25 cents an hour, and leaves it on the counter like a sixth grader for you to find at some point in your day.
Reply
drseuss 11:13 AM 03-07-2014
IME, there are some parents that just don't trust anybody. I've had two families like that in all my years and they were just the worst. Both were cases where the moms needed to just quit working and stay home with their kids, period because nobody in the world would do it right, not even Mary Poppins herself...
Reply
Blackcat31 11:37 AM 03-07-2014
Originally Posted by drseuss:

BTW, that family I am referring to did end up termed when I downsized at one point. Mom was nuts. She was the type who writes you a thesis on why she doesn't think you should be raising your rates by 25 cents an hour, and leaves it on the counter like a sixth grader for you to find at some point in your day.
I have one of those right now. It's taken me a while to just let her issues be hers and not stress about what things ruffle her feathers.

Mine e-mails me a LONG e-mail and I purposely send a reply one back saying
"Thanks for letting me know your thoughts on this."

I know it bothers her when I refuse to engage in an on-going discussion about MY policies.

I have zero issues explaining or elaborating on my rules for clients who truly don't understand but I refuse to allow a parent to think that THEIR opinion matters in MY business decisions.

If I enact or have a rule, it's because it is what is best for ME and MY family. If that rule doesn't work for a client, that is ok. We all have to do what works best for us.

Originally Posted by drseuss:
IME, there are some parents that just don't trust anybody. I've had two families like that in all my years and they were just the worst. Both were cases where the moms needed to just quit working and stay home with their kids, period because nobody in the world would do it right, not even Mary Poppins herself...
I get that too but I won't work with families that won't, can't or don't trust me.

It has to go both ways for me to feel successful in my business.

Again, if that doesn't work for a specific family, that is fine. NO judgment from me. But I won't bend, waive or break a policy for that family.

They would simply not be the right fit for my program.
Reply
drseuss 11:45 AM 03-07-2014
BC, ITA with your thinking. Over the years I have had to find my backbone through the usual uncomfortable situations. Spending time worrying about everybody else's opinion can really make you sick with stress. Glad I am mostly past that stage of my life.

OP, sorry I didn't mean to derail.
Reply
cara041083 11:50 AM 03-07-2014
I charge for 3 pto days and 1 weeks vacation and anytime the child is absent. If I close due to illness or emergency, I give them a credit to be used the following week.
Reply
KidGrind 12:25 PM 03-07-2014
I get paid for 4 sick days a year. Anything over 4 I give them a credit for the following month.

I am sick now due to the snot mines playing, jumping and claiming starvation around here. The bright side is I donít have a fever. So I just pushed through the day and provided care.

All four are sound asleep! YAY ME!
Reply
melilley 12:40 PM 03-07-2014
I have 5 personal/sick/educational days per year and if I don't take them throughout the year, I will use them around Christmas time.

I also have a week of paid vacation and one unpaid, but I haven't taken the unpaid one. This past Christmas I had to close (I was only open 3 days anyways) because we didn't have power, but I had personal days so I used them then.
Reply
TwinKristi 03:19 PM 03-07-2014
I don't charge for my time off, vacation, sick, planned, etc. For me it's just from experience as a DCM who couldn't afford daycare as it was. I know that if I had to pay for my DCPs week off plus another provider for a week I would've been screwed. As it was it sucked having to pay for sick days when I had to stay home with kids and miss work/pay. I still charge for their sick days though.
Reply
Crazy8 03:24 PM 03-07-2014
I don't charge if I have to close unexpectedly, but I take paid vacation, holidays, etc. I rarely ever close though, not because of the money but because I feel I need to be a responsible business owner.
Reply
LadyK8 08:48 PM 03-07-2014
Originally Posted by drseuss:
BC, ITA with your thinking. Over the years I have had to find my backbone through the usual uncomfortable situations. Spending time worrying about everybody else's opinion can really make you sick with stress. Glad I am mostly past that stage of my life.

OP, sorry I didn't mean to derail.
I learn alot from derailments. Lol
Reply
Lucy 10:38 PM 03-07-2014
Originally Posted by drseuss:
...I could definitely see some parents thinking that I wasn't really sick. ... One of the parents all but accused me of taking a day I didn't need. ...
And this is why I worked sick this week!

I charge for enrollment, not attendance. In 20 years, I've only called off sick TWO separate days. I'm fortunate in that I very, very rarely get sick. But this week I got some sort of sinus infection I guess. I had a 101 temp 3 nights in a row. It would be down in the morning, but by about 3 or 4 pm, it would be climbing. I took NyQuil and slept off and on for 12 hours those 3 nights!

Anyway, my point is, when you charge people for the days when YOU call off sick, you sort of think about it differently, and often end up working even when you really should be taking the days off to rest and recuperate. I really should have taken Tuesday and Wednesday off. I was NOT operating at 100%. (I must mention that I have all 5 1/2 to 10 year old kids, so they're a little bit more medically stable than infants and toddlers.)

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't change the way I charge. I love having a set income that never changes no matter what. And I totally advocate for people to do it this way. But I guess I'm just throwing it out there as food for thought.
Reply
grateday 10:56 PM 03-07-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't understand this line of thinking...

Because a parent felt you were lying about being sick, you no longer charge for sick days??

Who cares if you are or aren't sick...if YOU, as the business owner, want to take time off work because you fell sick, that is your right to do and if a parent accused me of lying about that, then I would term them because I refuse to do business with some who doesn't respect, trust or believe me.
Thank you so much for saying this, you have just made my terming someone much easier. My son has been sick since Wednesday at 12am in the morning. I am still with him and closed. Every other parent respects me and my decision except one who believes that I should not have a daycare if my son is sooo sick. She actually said that. And she added, what did the doctors say about you having a daycare with someone with these seizures?
She just does not get it.
My son gets sick the same as everyone else, it was her that dosed and dropped her kid and then waited to long to pick up her kid after I called. I mean that is so neglectful to me. Her child could have died here and then what? Who would she blame if her child died here?
I need to term and you just helped me see that clearly, just with simple logic. Oh, and also to update, inform, and print out new policies for all my parents and any new ones coming in.
Wednesday-ill and vomiting and congestion fever
Thursday-ill vomiting congestion seizures fever
Friday- (same as above)
Reply
Blackcat31 07:42 AM 03-08-2014
Originally Posted by grateday:
Thank you so much for saying this, you have just made my terming someone much easier. My son has been sick since Wednesday at 12am in the morning. I am still with him and closed. Every other parent respects me and my decision except one who believes that I should not have a daycare if my son is sooo sick. She actually said that. And she added, what did the doctors say about you having a daycare with someone with these seizures?
She just does not get it.
My son gets sick the same as everyone else, it was her that dosed and dropped her kid and then waited to long to pick up her kid after I called. I mean that is so neglectful to me. Her child could have died here and then what? Who would she blame if her child died here?
I need to term and you just helped me see that clearly, just with simple logic. Oh, and also to update, inform, and print out new policies for all my parents and any new ones coming in.
Wednesday-ill and vomiting and congestion fever
Thursday-ill vomiting congestion seizures fever
Friday- (same as above)
I hope your son feels better soon!

I am sorry you had such a disrespectful client. Sounds like it is a blessing that she will be termed! You dont' need that kind of stress.
Reply
Tags:paid days off, sick days
Reply Up