Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Keeping Track of Supplies
Abigail 12:19 AM 10-30-2010
Do you keep track of supplies brought in by parents? When a parent brings in diapers, do you go to that child's "Book" and write down the date, number of diapers, and initial or is the to over-the-top?

I think it would be beneficial for various reasons...finding averages of how many you use in a time frame or protecting yourself from a bad situation if the parent claims they bring in things when they really don't.

Do you also keep track of diaper changes or diaper checks in a permanent or temporary form? Our daycare does a temporary form where each child's name is listed in a column on the left and five times (8/10/12/2/4 pm) throughout the day are listed across the top. This sheet is lamenated and hung inside the bathroom door and we need to use a dry-erase marker to initial or write W, BM, or initial by each child's name. Does anyone do this, but keep it in a book for the year? Thanks so much!
DancingQueen 03:44 AM 10-30-2010
I don't - at all.
I average diaper changes every 2.5 hours (or if needed between). I let parents know when I'm running low and they bring me another stack. The kids I have right now do not require any sort of daily log (thank goodness) and the parents only want to know about irregularly diapers.
There is a chance I'll be getting a baby in April and at that point the need for a daily log will come in - but I still don't see the need to track supplies unless a parent was questioning something.

I'd love to hear responses from others though - that is why I love this board. They help me prevent some big mistakes so if there is a reason I should be doing something differently I love hearing about it.
Lilbutterflie 05:14 AM 10-30-2010
I don't keep record of supplies when they are brought in, but I don't think it would hurt. Organization and recordkeeping is never bad!!
I don't currently keep any infants, but when I did I had a infant daily report sheet in which each diaper change, time, type were noted along with other things.
mac60 05:38 AM 10-30-2010
I don't keep track of supplies either. I have a cabinet I keep diapers and wipes and extra clothes in and when a child is low I let the parents know. I do have about 4/5 boxes of wipes, and by the end of the day I have them all out on the floor where I change them, I am thinking about making a list of the kids who use them, have the names on a paper and attach it to the cabinet, and each time I clean a butt make a slash mark to keep track of approx how many each child uses, this way I can keep only 1 box out at a time and not have them piled and in the way. Once a child has been cleaned say maybe 20 times or whatever, I will know they need another box of wipes from home. This way 1 am only using out of 1 box at a time.
boysx5 05:42 AM 10-30-2010
I don't they all have their own bins I keep all their stuff in and when they run low I let the parents know at the end of the week what we will need for next week. I tend to change alot its just my way and nobody ever complains I use too many diapers and I also tend to use alot of wipes so I buy my own
MyAngels 05:45 AM 10-30-2010
I don't keep track of the diapers that are brought in, and I supply my own wipes (I prefer one brand and so I prefer to buy them myself). I just make a note when someone is running low and the parents bring a new supply. I do keep a couple of extra bags of diapers just in case somebody runs out before bringing in a new supply, and then replace any used from that child when their parent remembers to bring them.
DCMom 06:19 AM 10-30-2010
My parents only supply diapers and formula if they prefer their own brand. I don't keep track, I just request it when their child gets low.

I also don't any type of log, but we are on a pretty regular schedule and I'm the only one here, so I could give them a pretty accurate accounting if a parent requested it.
legomom922 07:52 AM 10-30-2010
I dont either. I ask the all parents to bring in wipes, diapers at the beginning of the month, and they become community property. I just use the wipes on all until they are gone and then open a new box. The next month, I ask all the parents to bring in the supplies again. Much easier that way. In the summer, I have all the parents bring in 1 bottle each of suntan lotion too. It was crazy before using all different wipes, diapers, suntan lotion on each child. This way is much more simpler and its also the way its done in school, when at the beginning of the yr each kid has to bring in 2 boxes of tissue. KWIM?
MarinaVanessa 08:13 AM 10-30-2010
I don't keep track either. I do however keep the kids diapers and supplies in a shoe rack that hangs from the back of a door (got that wonderful idea from the forum) until I can afford one of those really nice supply shelves that I see in the daycare catalogs and the rest of the supplies I keep in their cubbies. I only a few kids in diapers so it works for me.

When the supplies get low in the cubbies I use a few of the supplies in the shor rack. The parents can see whether they need to bring more or not. If they get pretty low (less than 3 days of diapers) I tell them to bring more. The parent's here will bring my a pack of diapers and leave the whole thing here so I don't really have a problem with them running so low that they run out.
SandeeAR 09:06 AM 10-30-2010
I have parents bring wipes about 3 times a year. I supply the rest and use out of one community box. I send daily reports home, as 3 of mine are under a year. When I get down to 8-10 diapers, I add a note to the daily report. I can't ever remember running out of diapers on anyone that way.

Since I only have three, I store everything in the changing table.
legomom922 09:38 AM 10-30-2010
why do you supply the rest? Thats just adds to your operating cost.
MarinaVanessa 09:49 AM 10-30-2010
Originally Posted by legomom922:
I wouldn't want to do this either. I can see what the appeal would be for the parents but I would rather spend the money on the curriculum and activities. The parents bring me a box of wipes and then just the refills after that. I buy the small travel size boxes for each child and carry that when we go to the park etc.
SandeeAR 09:52 AM 10-30-2010
Originally Posted by legomom922:
Simply b/c I choose too. They usually bring me the large double packs. I use them for things other than diaper changes, that are my choice, rather than getting rag and cleaner. I have hardwood floors and a large rug. I use them to clean spit up on the floor and rug.

Washing the 2 y/o's hands most time b/c it is easier than lifting her to the sink etc.

I have good parents and it is just something I do. It really isn't that much cost per month in the big scheme of things. I've done the math.
legomom922 09:59 AM 10-30-2010
I understand. You are aware though that baby wipes are not the same as anti-bactirial wipes right? Wiping their hands with baby wipes is not going to kill germs. I buy the anti-bactirial wipes for clean up, and the clorox wipes for kitchen clean up.
SandeeAR 10:21 AM 10-30-2010
I call them all baby wipe, just a genertic term for me. I have the clorox or lysol wipes in the kitchen and bathroom.
SilverSabre25 12:53 PM 10-30-2010
I supply wipes (easier to not have 5 different kinds floating around) and parents supply diapers. I bring them the new diapers every time I notice they're getting low--usually when it's going to be less than a week's worth (most of my parents take a few days to remember the diapers).

For washing hands and faces on those too little for the sink (I'm lazy...) I bought a bunch of baby washcloths and keep them in the kitchen drawer. I use one for each kid and wipe of hands, face, and table/highchair. It works really well.
SandeeAR 04:23 PM 10-30-2010
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
For washing hands and faces on those too little for the sink (I'm lazy...) I bought a bunch of baby washcloths and keep them in the kitchen drawer. I use one for each kid and wipe of hands, face, and table/highchair. It works really well.
That is what I do too for meals etc. I just use the wipe, when I need to clean off play dough or wipe noses, etc. They are much eaiser on the nose than tissues.

All mine are two little. My oldest is only 2, the other 3 are under a year.
Abigail 09:07 PM 10-31-2010
Wow, so no one keeps track of supplies? I must be thinking too hard. I know I need to keep track of attendance, meals, and menus, but for fun I might try to create a sheet on tracking diapers and/or other supplies that parents provide just to see how it works and if it does any good in the long run. It would definitely show me a pattern of how often things are needed and how long it take a parent to remember, LOL. When creams are brought in, do you write on them or put a tape to label them like for butt creams and stuff?
DBug 03:12 AM 11-01-2010
I have parents supply diapers and cream, and I supply wipes (and cream if absolutely necessary). I don't keep track of either, but I put a "More Diapers, Please!" sticker (from Vistaprint :-) ) on the kids' communication logs when they need more. Each child has a cubby box under the change table with their name, and I keep their diapers there. I have a separate basket for creams, and I either put their name right on the cream tube, or I use masking tape with their name -- it just depends on whether the cream will be left here, or if it's only here occasionally (for the occasional rash).

I change diapers often, and I make sure to tell parents at the interview that they'll likely go through more diapers here than at home. I've never had a parent be concerned about it, but if I did, I wouldn't have a problem with tracking diaper usage on their child's communication log. I already track diapers for infants and potty use for toddlers, so it wouldn't be much of a stretch for me.
BentleysBands 03:35 AM 11-01-2010
I do not as I supply it all ...i got tired of parents forgetting things so i started supplying. much easier for me.
legomom922 04:30 AM 11-01-2010
Cream is another "community" item for me. Each parent is asked to supply one tube. When all my tubes are gone, it's time to ask the parents to bring in another tube each! Much easier just like the community wipes.

If parents forget to bring in diapers, I buy them and charge them for them along with a $5 fee that pays for my gas to & time to buy them..They will never forget again!

I have a question for those who use the baby wipes on other things, hands, faces, highchair trays, etc. I am not trying to start a debate, really, but isn't part of the idea of washing their hands and highchairs trays etc is too get rid of germs? Baby wipes do not kill germs, nor do washcloths, or even wet paper towels. I understand the concept, and how much easier they are to use for clean up,but they are not anti-bactrial. I could see using them on things as long as you used something else that would kill the germs afterwards. I also use anti-bactrial ones on the changing station after every diaper change. I guess I am a germaphopic...
BentleysBands 04:37 AM 11-01-2010
i use baby wipes on any body part and clorox wipes on surfaces/toys...changing diaper pad gets sprayed w/lysol after each use

but i also believe in keeping germs around...if that makes sense LOL...IMO it helps build an immunity system stronger...i very rarely have illness in my daycare i'm proud to say and imo its because i stopped being so anal about the germs...i use to be OCD about things and noticed more illness then from what i've been doing different in say the last 10yrs
misol 08:47 AM 11-01-2010
I don't keep track of supplies. I would only do this if I had a parent complain about having to replenish supplies too often. My parents supply diapers, wipes, diaper cream, and any other personal products they wish their child to use.

I also use wipes for things other than diaper changes but I purchase those myself. The wipes that the parents supply stay in each child's nook in my diaper room.
Tags:book, diapers, records, rules, wipes
Reply Up