Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Hate Hard Choices
GotKids 07:14 AM 08-12-2011
I have one last opening that came open because a mom lost her job. I scheduled an interview for this weekend to fill the spot and this morning I got an email making me have second thoughts. When I started our here in this state I had just 3 little ones. The one I had the longest moved away in May. It was really hard on us to let him go because we had him 6 days a week for over a year and half. I have been doing care for him just on weekends when his dad has visitation since then. He is a great little boy and more like family than that daycare child.

His mom emailed me this morning to let me know she interviewed for a job really close to me and if she gets it she would be bringing him back to me on a full-time bases in a few months.

So now what? Take the new kid that would start in 2 weeks? Cancel the interview? Tell the mom I most likely will not have a spot? I hate this
rjskids 07:19 AM 08-12-2011
Did the mom say how likely she was in getting the job? If she is almost certain she will get it I would hold out but that would suck if she didn't.
wdmmom 07:26 AM 08-12-2011
Money talks! The one who gives you the deposit first has the spot.

Take the new family to compensate the income. If the other family contacts you, perhaps you'll have a spot. Or...tell her she'll have to secure a deposit that's non refundable if she wants the spot and she'll have to take a chance on whether she gets the job or not.
youretooloud 07:44 AM 08-12-2011
Ugh... first.. I wanted to say I read that entirely wrong.

"I Hate hard cookies".

So, I read and re-read your problem wondering what you meant by "Hard cookies", and I assumed it was some sort of inside joke.

Anyway.... I think I'd leave it all open, and see if she even GETS a job, or if something else comes up first. I'd definitely take the one with the money in hand first if it comes down to it... but, still anything else could happen before that.
flightlessbird11 07:58 AM 08-12-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
Ugh... first.. I wanted to say I read that entirely wrong.

"I Hate hard cookies".

So, I read and re-read your problem wondering what you meant by "Hard cookies", and I assumed it was some sort of inside joke.

Anyway.... I think I'd leave it all open, and see if she even GETS a job, or if something else comes up first. I'd definitely take the one with the money in hand first if it comes down to it... but, still anything else could happen before that.

You made my day! That was funny! Hard cookies!
cheerfuldom 09:30 AM 08-12-2011
First come, first serve. Is this other kid really worth going several months without the income?
Crazy8 10:41 AM 08-12-2011
keep the interview. at this point you don't even know if they will be a good fit, right?
I would email the mom back and tell her you'd love to have him but it will depend on your openings at the time - let her know you are currently interviewing for your 1 opening and tell her to keep in contact. I can't imagine it would take MONTHS for her to find out if she has this job and you really have no clue if this job is a sure thing or not. I wouldn't hold a spot on so many variables like that.
Tags:interview, parents - changing things
Reply Up