Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>How Often do Parents Change Service Providers?
umaine student 11:15 AM 12-13-2009
Hey all,
I'm a student at the University of Maine and I'm doing a little research for a project about the daycare system. I was wondering if I could get some ideas about how long parents generally stay with one daycare service, be it days or years. I'm also interested to know if parents will change providers multiple times in one year.

Any personal opinions you could offer would be incredible, and don't worry, I will NOT be using any personal names, internet hooks, etc. You will remain anonymous; I just need some numbers.
melissa ann 02:11 PM 12-13-2009
I started doing childcare in March 2008, this family is still with me. Another girl started in June 2008, but left in January 2009. Dad decided to move about 40 miles away for a new job.
mac60 02:32 PM 12-13-2009
98% of my families stay till their kids are in school fulltime. The longest I had a child was 7 years and she still comes b/a school. I take families for the long haul. Very rarely do I lose a family.
ConcernedMotherof2 05:40 PM 12-13-2009
My children have, unfortunately, had to attend several different daycares. The main reason for switching providers was moving (we used to be a military family). There have been very few instances (3 or 4... which to me is too much, but I really have been fortunate overall) in which I had to switch providers due to a safety issue or other serious concern.

I think you'll find that most parents want to keep their provider for the entire time their child needs care. If a parent is lucky enough to find a place outside of their home where their child is loved and cared for while they work, why would they want to give that up?
jen 08:06 AM 12-14-2009
I have had one family move away, but other than that the kids in my care generally stay with me until they are no longer in need of daycare...

Right now of 6 familis, 3 have been here 5 years while the other 3 families have been here 2+ years.
tymaboy 08:49 AM 12-14-2009
It all depends on the family. I started in 2007. My one family was only here for a few months - did not like my rules & thought that they did not apply. Another family was on assistance & thought the same thing when I charge them late fees. Needless to say I terminated them for a bunch of different reasons. The families I have now have been in care for more then a yr or almost a yr. 2 of them started at 8 weeks & the other started at 7 months ( he has been here more then a yr)
mac60 10:04 AM 12-14-2009
I personally don't want families that are daycare hoppers......there are reasons for that, and they usually arn't good ones.
Childminder 12:19 PM 12-14-2009
I have children currently that have been here 4+ years and in the summer I have children that come back till they are old enough to stay alone (13) and one girl that comes back each break and summer to 'help' me. She's 14 this year. Oh, and some of the children are second generation as I had their parents.

On the other side I have had some that stay long enough to bounce a couple of checks and take off. I'm going after one in court.
momma2girls 12:28 PM 12-14-2009
That is so sad to say, but there is always one family that has to be bad parents in the bunch. I have had one parent read my contract, sign it, then argue about everything in it, wanted me to change this, give them their vac. free, and the list goes on and on. Needless to say they bounced a check, then I had to take them to court and won in the end!!!!
Tags:changing daycare, daycare hoppers
Reply Up