Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Afternoon Activities
kcnjason 01:03 PM 09-08-2011
We are very busy throughout the morning, until lunch and then after clean-up we read a story, have a little bit of down time and then they rest until 2:30-3:00ish. I have a few kids that leave soon after nap is over but I have a few that are here until 5ish. I like to keep them busy, meaning that if they ask for their mommy they aren't busy enough, they need something to do. What do you do with your kids from 3-5ish? What do you get them busy doing?
momofsix 01:26 PM 09-08-2011
If it's nice, we're outside. If we're inside it's almost always playdough, but also coloring, freeplay...we try to keep the mess down so I don't have a ton to clean up when they leave
athomemommy 11:23 AM 10-26-2011
I have the same problem we have a busy box. With table activities. puzzles, cutting tracing, building, ect. things that are around the kitchen so I can fix dinner and pick up.

We also go outside after nap and snack. Even if it is not nice out. We spend a great deal of our day exploring. but around 4-430 clean up and table time.
Heidi 12:35 PM 10-26-2011
If we go outside, I like to keep them there until parents come at 4:45. That way, we don't have to go through the ordeal of getting 5 under 5 ready for outside again. Shoes, coats, running, screaming...4 of 5 are sibs, and the oldest ones are the worst!
SilverSabre25 05:29 AM 10-27-2011
I am seriously ()<--- this close to making the time between afternoon snack (3:30-3:45) and pick-ups (generally by 4:30-4:45) TV time!

But since I'm pretty much a "no TV" daycare I can't, or rather, shouldn't.

Honestly it's my toughest time of the day. I try to keep the play quiet and calm if/when I can, for my own sanity and desire to not have 20 minutes of cleaning to do after they're picked up!

I have thought of buying some cool new toys to get out, one per day, after snack until pick-up time, but I have no idea what that ought to be. I gotta do something to ease that time between snack and going home.
hoopinglady 07:49 AM 10-27-2011
we are supposed to do a planned activity after nap clean up and snack.

M: cooking activity
T: music and movement (organized)
W: craft or puppet making
TH: music and movement again
F: a construction activity

This hasn't really played out in reality because I have not been as prepared as I should be. Sounds good though, huh?

I will definitely need to do this during the winter when taking them outside isn't as much an option. a planned activity would use a good amount of the time. I'd probably use tv more in the winter afternoons too....or sometimes we do dance parties or freeze dance.

Many times we clean up the playrooms, get shoes on and things together and go play on the porch until pick up.
daycare 02:02 PM 10-27-2011
I use my afternoons for project time. we paint, make crafts and towards the end of the day we color in the color books just to kill some time.

I love doing reading and puppet shows during pick up. the parents come in pick up and I wave good-bye!!
hoopinglady 04:05 PM 10-27-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I use my afternoons for project time. we paint, make crafts and towards the end of the day we color in the color books just to kill some time.

I love doing reading and puppet shows during pick up. the parents come in pick up and I wave good-bye!!
Great idea! Sometimes I feel badly because I didn't have/make time to read to them outside of before nap time.

This could be a great designated time. Thanks!
Tags:activities, afternoon - activities
Reply Up