Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
1 2
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Much Time Do You Spend Actively Playing...
Crystal 08:29 AM 12-08-2010
Originally Posted by jen:
Just my .02 (LOL, can't find the cents key!)

Why in the world do other providers get so up in arms about the way Nanny does her thing? Have you looked at her web page? Have you read the comments from her parents?

"Thank you so much 4 all the loving care given 2 Jacob. Wish I could be with him each and every day. Im missing him and the family so much. Thanks Nan"

"(transcribed verbatim by Mommy) "Thank you Nan! I love you. That was very sweet of you to give me that letter. We'll have fun tomorrow at the tea party. I can't wait!"

It sounds as though you think those kids are living in a boot camp! Have you looked at the pictures? They are painting, they are playing outside, they are building some rather awesome lincoln log houses!

Her kids are happy, her parents are happy...why in the world would it matter to you how she gets there??? Isn't that what we all want? A successful business, happy kids and happy parents?

There are members on this board who seemingly want to demonize Nan, and in their attempts to do so, fail to hear her message. She nearly always responds to these outright attackts (or sometimes just little snotty remarks) with calm and dignity. She does it her way, and it works for her (and clearly for her parents) so whats the problem? Her advice is based on her experience, take it or leave it.
When you post on a forum full of child care providers, members whom have invested much of their lives into their business and the care of children, providers who are passionate about their work and play with young children, you cannot post flammatory statements such as parents don't pay you enough to PLAY with their children, without getting responses that you may not like.

Ans, How is anybody else here stating their differing opinions with nan, any different than her doing it with us?

Nanny knows her statements are flammatory and that she is going to get these types of responses. In my personal opinion, she does it on purpouse because she needs and enjoys the drama. Honestly, she does quite well defending herself, there's really no need for anyone else to do it for her, but there ya go.
jen 08:50 AM 12-08-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
When you post on a forum full of child care providers, members whom have invested much of their lives into their business and the care of children, providers who are passionate about their work and play with young children, you cannot post flammatory statements such as parents don't pay you enough to PLAY with their children, without getting responses that you may not like.

Ans, How is anybody else here stating their differing opinions with nan, any different than her doing it with us?

Nanny knows her statements are flammatory and that she is going to get these types of responses. In my personal opinion, she does it on purpouse because she needs and enjoys the drama. Honestly, she does quite well defending herself, there's really no need for anyone else to do it for her, but there ya go.
lol...I wouldn't begin to think that I could do a better job at defending Nan than she can!

It's just that MY personal opinion is that if people really took the time to understand what was written, they wouldn't find it so controversial. If I were to give Nan any advice it all, it would be to dumb it down a little, so that her points weren't lost in the uproar.

What I read is that there is a difference in job responsiblities between a Nanny and a daycare provider. Daycare providers care for a group of children and while they do interact with the children, it is not the level of one on one attention provided by a Nanny. Nanny's cost more than group child care providers do, due to the nature of their work. If someone wanted her to provide Nanny-Care it would be an additional fee as she has other responsibilities and cannot provide that level of care for one child.

Or, in other words, $25 a day doesn't buy you a FULL day of one on one attention. It buys you group care, with a loving and safe provider, or in her case TWO loving and safe providers, plenty of toys and activities, and the optimum level of safety and good nutrition. Sounds like a deal to me.

Oh, and the difference between Nan doing it and the way that SOME of the others are doing it is this... you don't really hear Nan going off the deep end and making random snarky comments at people she disagrees with. She is VERY professional in her responses, which personally I find refreshing.
laundrymom 08:58 AM 12-08-2010
I think if your laundry is on the same floor it is fine at nap while they are sleeping,.. but when they are awake no I dont think so. I automatically load dishes, when they are finished eating. I sweep before they arrive and after they leave. I of course clean up a mess if we spill or get crazy with glitter, but routine cleaning happens when they arent here. As per lic rules I have to be within site or sound, as per accreditation guidelines I have to be within site AND sound at all times.

Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
I've never noticed comments which would lead me to believe that people think education/licensing is a bad thing. Huh. I actually think both are fine, and that education is a wonderful thing. I'm not licensed, but not because I think that people who are are doing a bad thing...

So, those of you who are more play centered, do you think it's a bad thiing to, say, sweep the floor, do dishes, vacuum, do laundry, etc. while the kids are awake? Assuming, of course, that these activities don't take you out of eyesight or earshot of them.

Oh, and to add my two cents - I don't wear a bra much either. I prefer the tank tops that have the "shelf" bras built in, underneath my clothes.

nannyde 09:42 AM 12-08-2010
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I think if your laundry is on the same floor it is fine at nap while they are sleeping,.. but when they are awake no I dont think so. I automatically load dishes, when they are finished eating. I sweep before they arrive and after they leave. I of course clean up a mess if we spill or get crazy with glitter, but routine cleaning happens when they arent here. As per lic rules I have to be within site or sound, as per accreditation guidelines I have to be within site AND sound at all times.
I know some providers who do it that way. My playrooms are on two floors so the laundry is upstairs next to one play room.

I like to get all the laundry done when the kids are up. The secret to doing three loads of laundry a day is to have the kids do it. We have the kids start folding laundry when they are new two year olds:

First bibs (one fold)
then rags (two fold)
then towels (three fold)

and on and on.

The pack leader (eldest in the group) "gets" to match the socks. We make sure we have a FULL bin of white socks and then let her/him at it.

One of the first complete sentences these guys say is "I fold rags?"
Blackcat31 09:47 AM 12-08-2010
Originally Posted by nannyde:
The secret to doing three loads of laundry a day is to have the kids do it. We have the kids start folding laundry when they are new two year olds:

First bibs (one fold)
then rags (two fold)
then towels (three fold)

and on and on.

The pack leader (eldest in the group) "gets" to match the socks. We make sure we have a FULL bin of white socks and then let her/him at it.

Isn't there child labor laws against that?!?! I AM ONLY KIDDING!! That is great! What a neat way to have them be productive and learn something at the same time; matching, teamwork, cooperation and household chores....for boys, their mothers and future wives will appreciate it!!
laundrymom 09:56 AM 12-08-2010
That is awesome!! Butpersonally here, my washer dryer is in my basement and thats a nono,.. I would be freaked about the socks though,.. Im a bit overly anal about my laundry. lol. I wash so many seperate loads. I have 6 people living here, 5 of them full grown sized. lol. I have a pink load, a red, a kitchen towel, a bathroom towel, a sock and unders, a rug, a jeans, a work clothes for husband,.. ewww,..lol. and a work clothes for me,.. I have sheets, blankets, then there is camping laundry,.. I am a bit of an overprepared goon. lol

I know some providers who do it that way. My playrooms are on two floors so the laundry is upstairs next to one play room.

I like to get all the laundry done when the kids are up. The secret to doing three loads of laundry a day is to have the kids do it. We have the kids start folding laundry when they are new two year olds:

First bibs (one fold)
then rags (two fold)
then towels (three fold)

and on and on.

nannyde 10:16 AM 12-08-2010
lol...I wouldn't begin to think that I could do a better job at defending Nan than she can!

It's just that MY personal opinion is that if people really took the time to understand what was written, they wouldn't find it so controversial. If I were to give Nan any advice it all, it would be to dumb it down a little, so that her points weren't lost in the uproar.

What I read is that there is a difference in job responsiblities between a Nanny and a daycare provider. Daycare providers care for a group of children and while they do interact with the children, it is not the level of one on one attention provided by a Nanny. Nanny's cost more than group child care providers do, due to the nature of their work. If someone wanted her to provide Nanny-Care it would be an additional fee as she has other responsibilities and cannot provide that level of care for one child.

Or, in other words, $25 a day doesn't buy you a FULL day of one on one attention. It buys you group care, with a loving and safe provider, or in her case TWO loving and safe providers, plenty of toys and activities, and the optimum level of safety and good nutrition. Sounds like a deal to me.

Oh, and the difference between Nan doing it and the way that SOME of the others are doing it is this... you don't really hear Nan going off the deep end and making random snarky comments at people she disagrees with. She is VERY professional in her responses, which personally I find refreshing.
Thanks Jen

I always try to be really open to the idea that there are SO many ways to do this well. I think where the discord comes is in what people believe children MUST have in order to grow into happy healthy kids. It's really a broad range and we are only a "part" of their daily lives. They have parents, family, friends, and TIME in their own lives. We don't need to take on EVERYTHING the kid needs in the time we have them daily.

I think kids need tight supervision, excellent food, good deep sleep, clean safe environment, age appropriate materials, exercise, and an adult who is happy, healthy and well paid who cares about them and understands the fundamental safety and care of young kids.

I also think there is a HUGE range of services from babysitting to proffessional child care provider/educator. I've never wanted to be a proffessional child care provider. I've always really tried hard to keep my services to babysitting and then offer "special" or extra in the areas that "I" love and that "I" think make the babysitting work. For me that is having a second person here, having a large toy collection (and managing that), lots of space, and having really really good old school grandma's house food.

I'm never going to be a professional childcare provider. I don't have the education. I don't have the interest. I don't have the belief system that supports it. I could never get accreditation even at the lowest level. I know I would never pass something like that. We have QRS here in Iowa and I've never even applied for it. We have the Child Net certification. I took the classes but never even TRIED to get certified.

I try to raise these guys old school. I think we steal their early childhood when we start going against nature. I don't think adults need to be entertaining kids. A little here and there... of course.. but not the staple of their time. I think they need the life experience of boredom. I think they need to learn how to make a lot out of a little. I think they need to be fed the most excellent food the adults can afford. I think they need a lot less of us and a lot more of each other. They have their whole lives to be in school. They have years and years ahead of them when they have adults generating their activities and participating in it.

We stay out of their play and they end up being excellent players. We don't do "developmentally appropriate" but they end up being excellent students and excellent peers when they get out into public school.

There's more than one way to do this. I know that for sure. One doesn't have to negate the other and both can be paid for accordingly.
nannyde 10:18 AM 12-08-2010
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Isn't there child labor laws against that?!?! I AM ONLY KIDDING!! That is great! What a neat way to have them be productive and learn something at the same time; matching, teamwork, cooperation and household chores....for boys, their mothers and future wives will appreciate it!!
he he he

I just want the laundry folded for free
jen 10:28 AM 12-08-2010
OK...so this is a bit off topic but on the subject of kiddos folding laundry...

I had a friend whose daycare provider was using her daycare kids like little factory workers! You know when you see work at home putting crafts together ads? She was having her older preschoolers and schoolaged kids do it and then pocketing the money!!!!

YIKES!!!
marniewon 11:22 AM 12-08-2010
OK...so this is a bit off topic but on the subject of kiddos folding laundry...

I had a friend whose daycare provider was using her daycare kids like little factory workers! You know when you see work at home putting crafts together ads? She was having her older preschoolers and schoolaged kids do it and then pocketing the money!!!!

YIKES!!!
OMG - those preschoolers were good enough to put the crafts together and have them look good enough to make money from them?!?
kendallina 11:32 AM 12-08-2010
I personally don't see anything wrong with doing everyday household chores with child care kids around. If your laundry machine is close to where your kiddos are (and especially if they can help), I think it's great.

During snack, I'll load the dishwasher sometimes and I often sweep the floor after we eat. We did the same when I worked in a center. It's just part of what has to get done because the children are in our care.

And I run a preschool not daycare. I really don't see what the big deal is. especially for those that run a daycare not a preschool.
jen 11:35 AM 12-08-2010
Originally Posted by marniewon:
OMG - those preschoolers were good enough to put the crafts together and have them look good enough to make money from them?!?
I guess! I have no idea how much they were doing and how much the older kids were doing, but OMG! I can't even imagine telling a dcp that I was using their kid for free labor!

(not including helping with household chores of course, I think it's great if kids have age appropriate chores to do!)
AfterSchoolMom 12:14 PM 12-08-2010
I guess! I have no idea how much they were doing and how much the older kids were doing, but OMG! I can't even imagine telling a dcp that I was using their kid for free labor!

I'm quite sure that the parents didn't know that was going on. OMG!
jen 12:17 PM 12-08-2010
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
I'm quite sure that the parents didn't know that was going on. OMG!
The provider told my friend, whose child attended daycare there! Apparently, Erin, my friends dd, kept talking about their craft time, but the crafts never came home so my friend asked, and the provider told her...

As for the other parents, well, probably not!
QualiTcare 02:24 PM 12-08-2010
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Well daily paperwork takes all of 3 min a day. I don't order food. I cook in only moments as most prep work is done while I prepare my own families food. I guess I think actively playing is just that,... Playing purposely. Actively focusing my attention in a play like fashion and engaging with them to enhance their time here. I play WITH them not AT them. We play together. Maybe the actively playing was interpreted differently in my mind. I can see how you would think "time spent actively playing " would mean "time spent in active play" they are 2 different things though. I actively play with the kids here roughly 3/4 of their day. Our day is structured with time planned to insure this happens. It is part of my curriculum. Part of our daily schedule and truly how our days are as low stressed as possible. I DO consider singing looking at clouds hiking and the other things you mentioned to be actively playing with the children. Actively engaging them. I'm wondering what your definition is of actively playing?
my definition of actively playing is playing and interacting with the children while giving them your undivided attention. like i said, i also don't consider the things you consider playing to be playing - which is why i said i don't think it's possible to spend more than half of the time playing. i consider doing things outside...hiking or cloud watching...to be normal activities, but i wouldn't call that "active play." since you do though, i can see how you would say 70% of your time is spent playing.

i know education talk gets a lot of people going, but i didn't even know you were working on a degree, and i have my bachelor's in early childhood and a teaching license so i def. wouldn't have a problem with it -and i know nannyde has a bachelor's also so i wouldn't think she'd have an issue either.
SilverSabre25 05:17 PM 12-08-2010

First bibs (one fold)
then rags (two fold)
then towels (three fold)

and on and on.

Ooo! I know how you can get them even more involved!! My DD LOVES to do laundry with me (she's 3)--she gets to pick up the clothes from the sorted pile and put them in the washer, then when they're ready to go in the dryer, I fish them out of the washer and drop them on the dryer door and she shoves them the rest of the way in. She LOVES it and gets so dang excited when I mention we need to work on laundry.
nikia 05:19 PM 12-08-2010
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Ooo! I know how you can get them even more involved!! My DD LOVES to do laundry with me (she's 3)--she gets to pick up the clothes from the sorted pile and put them in the washer, then when they're ready to go in the dryer, I fish them out of the washer and drop them on the dryer door and she shoves them the rest of the way in. She LOVES it and gets so dang excited when I mention we need to work on laundry.
Can she come do my laundry I hate laundry day and my girls arent that fond of it either
Blackcat31 07:52 AM 12-09-2010
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
That is sooo cute!!! Reminds me of when my DD (22 yrs old now) was 3 or 4 years old and my friend would always invite her over for a play date with her child...after a few play dates I had a conversation with my DD about what they did while they played and she said "Work, work work, you know how it is mom!" turns out my DD was ignoring the other kid and organizing the kids dresser drawers! My friend said my DD wasn't interested in playing she was more concerned with the organization of the other kids drawers...my friend said my DD would dump the contents of each drawer and fold every item and replace them in a very ordered fashion. OMG!!! think OCD at 3 huh? Anyways, my friends would all joke that when their kids' rooms got messy that they would call me and invite my DD over...
To this day, DD keeps her closets and drawers neater and more organized than military people! Each hanger is color coded and all clothing is hung according to size, shape and color etc...her dresser is the same way! I am NOT that way so I have no idea where this madness comes from.....MAYBE MY DAYCARE PROVIDER HAD HER DOING LAUNDRY ALL THOSE YEARS I WAS WORKING!?!?
Crystal 11:45 AM 12-09-2010
lol!

One of the reasons I started daycare was because in 6 months time, I had put my kids in three different daycares.

My daughter was 13 months old. I arrived to pick her from daycare unnanounced one day and found a little boy changing my daughters diaper. I mentioned it to the provider and she asked if I had a problem with it. I told her yes, that I expect that only SHE change my daughters diaper, not other children. She RUDELY informed me that "I'll have you knoe ALL of theses children have chores here, including YOURS" Yeah....not anymore they didn't. I took my kids and left and never looked back. She didn't DARE try to charge me for leaving without notice either
marniewon 12:04 PM 12-09-2010
lol!

One of the reasons I started daycare was because in 6 months time, I had put my kids in three different daycares.

My daughter was 13 months old. I arrived to pick her from daycare unnanounced one day and found a little boy changing my daughters diaper. I mentioned it to the provider and she asked if I had a problem with it. I told her yes, that I expect that only SHE change my daughters diaper, not other children. She RUDELY informed me that "I'll have you knoe ALL of theses children have chores here, including YOURS" Yeah....not anymore they didn't. I took my kids and left and never looked back. She didn't DARE try to charge me for leaving without notice either
That's crazy!!! I can see helping fold laundry, or setting the table for their own lunch, or taking care of their dishes, or cleaning up the toys, etc....but doing HER job caring for the children? That was their "chores"?? Out of curiosity, did you report her? There's something not right about a little boy changing any diapers, much less a baby girl's diapers!
Crystal 12:09 PM 12-09-2010
Originally Posted by marniewon:
That's crazy!!! I can see helping fold laundry, or setting the table for their own lunch, or taking care of their dishes, or cleaning up the toys, etc....but doing HER job caring for the children? That was their "chores"?? Out of curiosity, did you report her? There's something not right about a little boy changing any diapers, much less a baby girl's diapers!
oh yes, I reported her. she's been out of business for awhile now.
jen 01:47 PM 12-09-2010
I had that same experience! Except I didn't find out about it until after she was closed down, another parent came in and found a 5 year old changing the diaper of an infant! CRAZY!
nannyde 02:02 PM 12-09-2010
She RUDELY informed me that "I'll have you knoe ALL of theses children have chores here, including YOURS"

Sheesh

My kids have chores from the time they turn two and are walking steady. I guess the kids would rather be my "sherpa" then be my diaper changer. I'll let them know how good they got it tomorrow.
Tags:activities, schedules
1 2
Reply Up