Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Well, That Was Terrifying
Sugar Magnolia 09:54 AM 06-06-2013
Nasty.weather from Tropical Storm Andrea. We just finished lunch and.were getting.washed up. Simultaneously, the weather radio goes off, our cell phones go off. "Urgent warning. Tornado and land-falling water spouts on the ground . Immediate danger. Seek shelter in an interior room immediately." Thank goodness.only.8 kids today. We pulled in the pantry area,, ready to dive into our closet under the stairwell. I tried to be cool and make it seem like a fun game. The Littles were fine. The Bigs, terrified. We talk about safety a lot here, so the older kids knew exactly what that weather radio.siren meant. They started crying. So the Littles.start crying. The wind howled and my 100 year old.center.shook.a bit. In the closet we go.....now we are all scared and I'm having trouble being "cool" myself.

And then it.stopped. And was over. All is quiet. . But gee, that totally.sucked.
daycarediva 09:57 AM 06-06-2013
SOOO glad you are all ok!!! big (((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))) to you and the kids!!!
Play Care 09:58 AM 06-06-2013

Thank goodness everyone is okay!
Sugar Magnolia 10:10 AM 06-06-2013
Scratch that. Going off.again.
Heidi 10:14 AM 06-06-2013
Hang in there, Sugar!
bunnyslippers 10:16 AM 06-06-2013
I would probably still be quivering in the closet! Glad you were able to keep your head about you, and that all is well. So frightening!
lovemykidstoo 10:22 AM 06-06-2013
Oh my gosh, I hope you're okay!! Where are you located?
MsLaura529 10:24 AM 06-06-2013
Good luck with the rest of the day.
Sugar Magnolia 10:24 AM 06-06-2013
It hit Myakka. That is east of here. We are.napping with shoes on today.. ...well....attempting to nap. Water spout just offshore. We are only blocks.away from Sarasota Bay..
Sugar Magnolia 10:26 AM 06-06-2013
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Oh my gosh, I hope you're okay!! Where are you located?
Downtown Sarasota. Gulf coast, hour south of Tampa.
craftymissbeth 10:26 AM 06-06-2013

Hang in there!

daycarediva 10:29 AM 06-06-2013
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Downtown Sarasota. Gulf coast, hour south of Tampa.
I used to live in St. Pete! Pretty area! Stay safe!!!
Laurel 10:32 AM 06-06-2013
Nasty.weather from Tropical Storm Andrea. We just finished lunch and.were getting.washed up. Simultaneously, the weather radio goes off, our cell phones go off. "Urgent warning. Tornado and land-falling water spouts on the ground . Immediate danger. Seek shelter in an interior room immediately." Thank goodness.only.8 kids today. We pulled in the pantry area,, ready to dive into our closet under the stairwell. I tried to be cool and make it seem like a fun game. The Littles were fine. The Bigs, terrified. We talk about safety a lot here, so the older kids knew exactly what that weather radio.siren meant. They started crying. So the Littles.start crying. The wind howled and my 100 year old.center.shook.a bit. In the closet we go.....now we are all scared and I'm having trouble being "cool" myself.

And then it.stopped. And was over. All is quiet. . But gee, that totally.sucked.
Oh no! What part of Florida are you in? I'm in the Ft. Lauderdale area. We had to stay in because of tornado watches today and have been having rain off and on for weeks now but that is about all here.

Just a question. I used to have a weather alert radio that I bought and then the State of Florida sent all childcare homes in our area one (without us asking) several years ago. I used to swear by them in Ohio but, down here, they were annoying because they'd go off every day citing things at sea. We are about 11 miles from the ocean. But with all the marine warnings for boaters it was a daily distraction when we have so few tornados here and the ones we do have in this area usually aren't the catastrophic kind. We have hurricanes for that! We get plenty of warnings for hurricanes though.

That was years ago though. Does yours have something where it lets you turn off marine warnings or are you more inland so that doesn't affect you?

We have a ranch style house so no under the stairs. We'd have to go into the bathroom or into a closet. When I lived in Ohio 16 years ago there were big tornados and it seems like the bathrooms were the safest places.

Glad everyone is okay! I have it in my contract that I will take a day off if there is a hurricane on the way. I can't believe I had to add that but one year parents actually brought their kiddies so they could prepare 'their' house. As you know, things sell out quickly like batteries and water (although now we plan ahead better). Luckily my adult children were able to help out. No more though!

I'm glad you are all okay. That is scary stuff!!!

Laurel

Edited to add: Oh, I saw you already gave your location.
Hunni Bee 10:39 AM 06-06-2013
Please be safe. Praying for yall.
Sugar Magnolia 11:36 AM 06-06-2013
Originally Posted by Laurel:
Oh no! What part of Florida are you in? I'm in the Ft. Lauderdale area. We had to stay in because of tornado watches today and have been having rain off and on for weeks now but that is about all here.

Just a question. I used to have a weather alert radio that I bought and then the State of Florida sent all childcare homes in our area one (without us asking) several years ago. I used to swear by them in Ohio but, down here, they were annoying because they'd go off every day citing things at sea. We are about 11 miles from the ocean. But with all the marine warnings for boaters it was a daily distraction when we have so few tornados here and the ones we do have in this area usually aren't the catastrophic kind. We have hurricanes for that! We get plenty of warnings for hurricanes though.

That was years ago though. Does yours have something where it lets you turn off marine warnings or are you more inland so that doesn't affect you?

We have a ranch style house so no under the stairs. We'd have to go into the bathroom or into a closet. When I lived in Ohio 16 years ago there were big tornados and it seems like the bathrooms were the safest places.

Glad everyone is okay! I have it in my contract that I will take a day off if there is a hurricane on the way. I can't believe I had to add that but one year parents actually brought their kiddies so they could prepare 'their' house. As you know, things sell out quickly like batteries and water (although now we plan ahead better). Luckily my adult children were able to help out. No more though!

I'm glad you are all okay. That is scary stuff!!!

Laurel

Edited to add: Oh, I saw you already gave your location.
Laurel, I don't think you can turn off marine alerts. Yes, they.are annoying. We keep it upstairs in our center, it is loud enough that my husband can hear it (I can't, hard of hearing), but the cell phone warnings are just as effective as the weather.radio.
Yep, it is my free weather radio. Nice of them to send them out.
mema 12:50 PM 06-06-2013

Hope the rest of the day has gone better!
Sugar Magnolia 12:51 PM 06-06-2013
Appears to all be over. Phew.
Laurel, watch out, it's coming across. Looks very bad in Naples.
Sugar Magnolia 12:51 PM 06-06-2013
Originally Posted by mema:

Hope the rest of the day has gone better!

AmyKidsCo 01:04 PM 06-06-2013
Sounds very scary - I'm glad it's over now!
Laurel 01:17 PM 06-06-2013
Laurel, I don't think you can turn off marine alerts. Yes, they.are annoying. We keep it upstairs in our center, it is loud enough that my husband can hear it (I can't, hard of hearing), but the cell phone warnings are just as effective as the weather.radio.
Yep, it is my free weather radio. Nice of them to send them out.
Thanks, I'm gonna have to figure out how to do the cell phone ones. Does your cell phone do marine alerts?

Laurel
Laurel 01:19 PM 06-06-2013
Appears to all be over. Phew.
Laurel, watch out, it's coming across. Looks very bad in Naples.
Well I'm going out to dinner with two girlfriends tonight (also providers) so I guess we'll try to have a lot of fun tonight as tomorrow we'll be stuck in with the kiddies again.

Laurel
SilverSabre25 01:20 PM 06-06-2013
((Hugs)) how scary! Glad you're okay!
Sugar Magnolia 01:21 PM 06-06-2013
Originally Posted by Laurel:
Thanks, I'm gonna have to figure out how to do the cell phone ones. Does your cell phone do marine alerts?

Laurel
You don't get cell alerts automatically? They ONLY come for severe weather alerts in your immediate area. And Amber Alerts. I didn't do or sign up for anything, they just come.
ETA: No marine alerts! Thank goodness. Wish they would do marine alerts differently.
Cradle2crayons 03:46 PM 06-06-2013
We had bad weather here and sirens of COURSE during nap time... Very nice of Mother Nature.

Kids here really are so used to it they don't get scared anymore...thank goodness. And we do a lot of drills too. Have our hurricane and tornado plan etc.

The sirens are really really loud here too.

Husband is still offshore and since I haven't gotten a phone call I guess he's safe... He's out in the Gulf of Mexico on a rig.

Stay safe everyone in Florida.
Laurel 07:20 PM 06-06-2013
You don't get cell alerts automatically? They ONLY come for severe weather alerts in your immediate area. And Amber Alerts. I didn't do or sign up for anything, they just come.
ETA: No marine alerts! Thank goodness. Wish they would do marine alerts differently.
Oh duh, I forgot. I've had an alert on my land line but don't always have my cell on so not sure if they are sent by cell or not.

Laurel
sharlan 07:26 PM 06-06-2013
I like our earthquakes much better than your tornados. No warning, just hit and it's over (For the most part).

Stay safe.
Tags:bad weather
Reply Up