Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Here Is My Vent For The Week
wahmof3 02:13 PM 09-14-2012
Ok so I started the DCF I had posted about a month or so ago asking if there were any "Red Flags", you remember the one that brought their present "babysitter" with them

(Please feel free to say: I TOLD YOU SO )

Please help me out here. I know all of the signs were there, but I needed the enrollment and the DCF schedule meshed so nicely with mine.

Issues:

1. Payment 3/4 times they paid me at pick up on Friday. My policy is "Payment is due at DROP OFF the last day your child is in attendance for the week" I have it in my contract & policy AND I verbally explained to him that we bank at my Dh credit union, he works 2nd shift so he takes it to work with him on Fridays and if I don't get it at drop off it doesn't get deposited until Monday afternoon.

2. Pick up times. When they contracted with me they said they would need 30-35 hours per week and that one of the DCP is usually off at 2, but DCD said he will usually be here before 3:45 because thats when his SA kids get off the bus. DCB has only been picked up at 2:30 once and before 3:45 one other time in the month that I have had him in care. Typically its 4:20-4:30 and DCD is in gym clothes and his SA kids are with him.

I close at 4:30 and I am trying to avoid "telling" DCF's that because they would wait until 4:30 to get here regardless of when they get off work.

SOOOOO today DCD gets here at 4:45 !!!! All of my other kids were gone and he is LUCKY that my DS practice was cancelled because he would've needed picked up at 4:30.

I forgot to add that I have been selected for jury duty and earlier this week I received a card in the mail saying I have to report Monday & I need to call Sunday after 5:30 to confirm. I told all of my DCF and told them to keep their fingers crossed that I don't have to report BUT they need to have a back up plan. Today DCD says have you heard anything about Monday & I told him again that I won't know anything until Sunday & they will be the 1st to know and he said we are trying to figure out who needs to take the day off (and mind you he had some attitude in his voice). I replied I am just as frustrated as they are with this, but there is not anything I can do.

I am ready to throw in the towel and term, but is that fair of me if I haven't given them a chance to correct the issues? I am not confrontational and I had an issue with a different family not too long ago that ended up bad because I WAS putting my foot down and enforcing my policies. How do you tactfully & professionally handle this??

Thanks
wahmof3 02:02 PM 09-15-2012
I'm open for suggestions

Can I re-write our contract to list HOURS instead of putting how many hours they need a week?

How do I tell them I need contracted hours? Is it fair to say "It looks like your daycare needs have changed from 30-35 hours a week to 40-45 hours per week. I had over looked that you didn't give me exact hours. When we met you stated you would rarely be here after 3:45p and its closer to 4:30p everyday..."

As far as picking up after I close on friday I now want to change my late pick up fee to $1 per minute late.

I also am enforcing late payment fee to if its not received at drop off it is now late and to add the $10 late fee when you bring it at pick up????

Sorry to be a pain. Thanks!!
SunnyDay 03:30 PM 09-15-2012
I always list specific drop-off and pick-up times in the contract. Changes must be approved 24 hours in advance. I would definitely discuss their needs with them.
cheerfuldom 04:56 PM 09-15-2012
You shouldnt be terming them for problems that you have partially created. Give them a chance to work with you.

Write up a new contract for them that highlights the payment arrangement, adding a hefty fee if it is not paid in full and in a timely manner. Be specific and be ready to enforce it.

Talk to them about a specific drop off and pick up time and make sure they know that once they commit to a time, there will be fees for times outside of this commitment. make sure that everything is very, very specific and that you adjust rates if needed.

I know everyone says " but I am not confrontational....." but I really feel that is just an excuse so that you dont have to be uncomfortable approaching people. What you are doing now is not professional....by being wishy-washy on agreements and then resenting them when they dont do what you think they should be doing. You should have had a very specific contract and should have enforced all your policies from day one. The parents arent mind readers. They say "someone will probably be here by such and such time" but then they get used to doing something different and you dont stop them. Its clear why they assume what they are doing is okay.
wahmof3 06:07 PM 09-15-2012
I understand all of this

Let me rewind about an issue I had last spring:

DCF (not this DCF) started I was clear about my expectations. I went over policies and so forth. DCF pushed and pushed for "special" I said no every time. I was never paid on time and ALWAYS had to ask for payment and EVERY time I reminded them when their fee was due. They often dropped off early w/out letting me know and EVERY time I had to remind them that they really needed to let me know if they needed to drop off early. I was clear. The last time they dropped off early I had just gotten out of the shower and I was livid. I told the DCD that they really needed to call or text even if it was that morning to see if it was ok to drop off. He blew his top, pulled the kid, & it cost him a lot of money. He tried to talk me down but I didn't budge. By that afternoon I had that weeks worth of fees & my 2 week notice in hand.

How does that relate to this? I have all of the last conversations I had with the DCD that pulled his kid running through my mind. I fear (even though I know if they don't like my policies, then I really don't want them here) that I will handle the situation wrong and they will pull their child.

So I thought I was clear when I met with this family as far as payment, policies, etc and they told me they would seldom be here after 3:45 and not one thing that they said they would do has happened.

I try to be very professional and thats one reason I haven't said anything- I don't know how to approach it without sounding like a b*tch. SO what do I say? Is it professional to say: "hey when we met, you stated that you would seldom be here after 3:45 and I have noticed that you have your DCB here until 4:30 most days, I really need to have a written schedule......."

See this part is killing me I can't figure it out!! Ugh sometimes I feel as if no matter how clear you are these DCP just don't get it.
Hunni Bee 06:45 PM 09-15-2012
When is the DCD's contracted pick up time? Is it 2:30 or 3:45 or 4:30? Whatever it says in his contract, that's what time he should be required to pick up his child. And make him tell you whether he needs 30 or 35 hours a week. Those 5 hours is probably the difference in him picking up at 2:30 and picking up at 3:45.

And, if you don't tell the DCF's that you close at 4:30, how do they know? It seems like you do contracted hours, so what time you close should have no bearing on what time the families pick up if they are not contracted until 4:30, kwim? If you are doing open hours, then you should absolutely tell them that you close at 4:30. In any case, the "not telling them" is backfiring, at least with this family.

FWIW, I wouldn't allow him to say he'll be there "before" or "by" or "around" any time, because it's too gray. The rewritten contract should say dcb will be picked up AT 3:45 (or whatever) and no later. If he picks up earlier then its gravy. Some people you have to be black and white with. It's not being a b****.
Crazy8 07:17 PM 09-15-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
You shouldnt be terming them for problems that you have partially created. Give them a chance to work with you.

Write up a new contract for them that highlights the payment arrangement, adding a hefty fee if it is not paid in full and in a timely manner. Be specific and be ready to enforce it.

I totally agree with cheerfuldom here. Unfortunately if they are still within their 35 hours or so they probably don't see a problem.

My contract has a fill in the blank section for days and hours - they check the days of the week and fill in ______am to _____pm for each day. I would redo your contract ASAP.

I would come right out and ask this family if they did in fact read your contract because they signed agreeing to the terms but are not following them.
wahmof3 07:29 PM 09-15-2012
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I totally agree with cheerfuldom here. Unfortunately if they are still within their 35 hours or so they probably don't see a problem.

My contract has a fill in the blank section for days and hours - they check the days of the week and fill in ______am to _____pm for each day. I would redo your contract ASAP.

I would come right out and ask this family if they did in fact read your contract because they signed agreeing to the terms but are not following them.
I have fill in the blank section for days/hours as well, they just put 30-35 hours per week. They are using 40-45 hours.
Reply Up