Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
1 2
Parents and Guardians Forum>Soiled Underwear in Day Care Centers
normad 03:52 PM 04-15-2011
personally i think its actually for hygienic purposes why they have such law since there are many other kids in the day care that would have to be taken care off, it is best to keep yourself as clean as possible at all times to prevent probably transfer of microorganisms that may be present in poo. Its not to exaggerate but we can never be too safe when it comes to handling children since some are really sensitive
daycare 04:45 PM 04-15-2011
how did this get pulled back up again...wow what a lot of crazy reading...But it was good entertainment while I waited to see the doctor..

All that I can say is no matter educated a person is..........there is one thing that can not be taught and that is LOVE........you can have all the education in the world and NOT know how to love ...... To me, Love is the number one thing that makes us all great providers regardless of our education or where we came from...........

Ok I'm done....lol
MyAngels 08:22 PM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
how did this get pulled back up again...wow what a lot of crazy reading...But it was good entertainment while I waited to see the doctor..

All that I can say is no matter educated a person is..........there is one thing that can not be taught and that is LOVE........you can have all the education in the world and NOT know how to love ...... To me, Love is the number one thing that makes us all great providers regardless of our education or where we came from...........

Ok I'm done....lol
The first thing I thought of when I glanced back to see how long this thread has been going is "this is the song that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends..."

Oops, I think I just dated myself !
Unregistered 08:08 AM 09-15-2011
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
The dad just kind of blew it off. I'm not sure if he reprimanded the child at home. It seems to me that the children aren't the top most wrung on the father's ladder of priorities though. To make things more fun, mom's not actively in the pic either.
Why should a child be reprimanded for pooping his pants? Accidents happen. No need in shaming the boy. Obviously he was embarrassed and was uncomfortable to let you know. You were in tears because he was all over your house and you had to sanitize and clean up a big mess? I would be in tears because I let a child have soiled pants on for 4 to 6 hours and not catch it. From snack until 8 was the first time you were close enough to him to smell it? I also would have felt like **** because the child didn't trust me enough to tell me. I know children hide stuff, but they are open to those they trust, feel loved by, and safe around.

Trust me when I see that a child had diarrhea and it leaked out of their diaper and clothes on to the floor, I'm hating the fact I have to wash everything. But these are the things children do. I suck it up, put on my big girl pants on and do my job. Just because you may not say anything directly to the child they read your body language, facial expressions, and the tone of your voice. More than likely he knew you were pissed and angry. He knew that every child their knew that they were strapped to chairs for how ever long because he pooped his pants. I know that it law that old people in nursing homes that have accidents are to be treated confidentiality and respect. Don't children deserve the same?
I'm not registered my name is Sara Walley from WI.
Unregistered 09:14 PM 09-16-2011
I work for the Y in Northern Canada. We ABSOLUTELY are not allowed to be putting any bodily fluids or waste in our sinks. I believe even bottles with breast milk can't be washed, (which I personally find silly.) It's a licensing standard not a centre policy.

I have two children in Care at this Centre. One who is 4 years old and a 21 month old. Though costs are high (over 1200 each) I would NEVER expect their teachers to rinse out their soiled underware. Never. They have a 1-6 ration or a 1-8 ratio. Being my laundress is not their job. Providing equal and adequate care to all children in their programs IS their jobs.

I also just dump poop in the toilet (actually I get the kids to put on rubber gloves and I get them to dump their poop out) then send the soiled panties/underwear home in a bag.
Blackcat31 07:42 AM 09-17-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I work for the Y in Northern Canada. We ABSOLUTELY are not allowed to be putting any bodily fluids or waste in our sinks. I believe even bottles with breast milk can't be washed, (which I personally find silly.) It's a licensing standard not a centre policy.

I have two children in Care at this Centre. One who is 4 years old and a 21 month old. Though costs are high (over 1200 each) I would NEVER expect their teachers to rinse out their soiled underware. Never. They have a 1-6 ration or a 1-8 ratio. Being my laundress is not their job. Providing equal and adequate care to all children in their programs IS their jobs.

I also just dump poop in the toilet (actually I get the kids to put on rubber gloves and I get them to dump their poop out) then send the soiled panties/underwear home in a bag.
I was loving your whole post until I got to the last line and went . I am not sure what the laws are or aren't about that but for some reason that just doesn't sit right with me.
C'est la vie. 11:16 AM 09-17-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I was loving your whole post until I got to the last line and went . I am not sure what the laws are or aren't about that but for some reason that just doesn't sit right with me.
Okay, I've registered now. Why do you have a problem with it? I'm not being mean or torturing the child. I'm getting him to help me clean up his poop. We both have gloves on. We don't degrade the children at all, but I believe that this child (who doesn't want to go pee or poop on the potty, but mom insists the daycare potty trains him) help to dump his poop out of his undies. This child is 3.5 and mom has insisted he move to 3-5 care, but he's not potty trained at home. He's coming along well now that he's finally with his peer group, but refused to poop on the potty. He'll hide and go in his shorts.

I walk with him to the potty. Tell him that poop goes IN the potty. Then we flip the poop out and flush it. Poop doesn't just magically disappear out of his shorts, he has to help dispose of it. What's wrong with that? And I'm sure there are no laws against getting kids to help clean up their messes.
Candyland 02:25 PM 09-17-2011
wow; there are over 3 pages on this post. I just read the last few posts and it's quite remarkable. I'll make it a point to read the first one this week!
sillygoose16 09:37 PM 12-05-2011
Ok, so after reading all of these posts and looking up our states toiling policies (NJ) I agree that the soiled clothing should go into a bag and sent home for parents to clean.

But, today when picking up my child at 5:30 PM. I dropped her off at 8:00 AM. She had peed pants on and I was given a bag of soiled clothing. Ok so not a problem, accidents happen. I get home and we head straight for the potty to clean up and get a bath. I then notice my daughter is not wearing underwear. The note on the bag says that she had the accident at 10 AM. I'm pretty upset here. I think they should have called me to tell me she was out of supplies (pullups and/or undies) I always send them in when they tell me she needs them. And, I know she had a spare pare of undies in her book bag. I think it's disgusting to have to pick her up like that. The staff are not allowed to follow my almost 4 year old into the bathroom or help her wipe. I understand that. But, why didn't they contact me and say "by the way, sarah is out of such and such, can you possibly bring some by on your lunch hour" Her day care is well aware of the fact that I work 10 mins. away. It's 12:34 AM here and I've been worried sick about this because I know I'm going to go there tomorrow upset and wanting an answer.

Am I wrong to even think that i should have been notified? Should I keep sending her to school wearing a pullup? She was doing great the past couple of months and in the past week has had 4 accidents at school? I'm so lost
youretooloud 09:10 AM 12-06-2011
Originally Posted by sillygoose16:
Ok, so after reading all of these posts and looking up our states toiling policies (NJ) I agree that the soiled clothing should go into a bag and sent home for parents to clean.

But, today when picking up my child at 5:30 PM. I dropped her off at 8:00 AM. She had peed pants on and I was given a bag of soiled clothing. Ok so not a problem, accidents happen. I get home and we head straight for the potty to clean up and get a bath. I then notice my daughter is not wearing underwear. The note on the bag says that she had the accident at 10 AM. I'm pretty upset here. I think they should have called me to tell me she was out of supplies (pullups and/or undies) I always send them in when they tell me she needs them. And, I know she had a spare pare of undies in her book bag. I think it's disgusting to have to pick her up like that. The staff are not allowed to follow my almost 4 year old into the bathroom or help her wipe. I understand that. But, why didn't they contact me and say "by the way, sarah is out of such and such, can you possibly bring some by on your lunch hour" Her day care is well aware of the fact that I work 10 mins. away. It's 12:34 AM here and I've been worried sick about this because I know I'm going to go there tomorrow upset and wanting an answer.

Am I wrong to even think that i should have been notified? Should I keep sending her to school wearing a pullup? She was doing great the past couple of months and in the past week has had 4 accidents at school? I'm so lost
Perhaps she dressed herself and the teacher wasn't aware that she was out of panties? I think they should have used a backup something...either a pullup, or panties. I bet they have something there. Especially if you are really good about bringing more supplies.

In most cases, parents do NOT want to be called at work for something minor like that. But, I do think they should have found her something else to wear.

You know what's saddest about that? That teachers are afraid of being accused of molesting kids, and are no longer allowed to help in the bathroom.

I've seen posts where a parent will ask "She has a rash, and redness in her privates... do you think the provider is molesting her?" Why is it the first thought? Why not "Oh, we must be using too much bubble bath in the tub".
CheekyChick 11:30 AM 12-06-2011
Just a few thoughts...

1. If your child was in cloth diapers - they would get sent home poop and all. No difference with panties.

2. If your child is still pooping in her panties, then she should still be in Pull-Ups.

3. Where do you expect the employees to wash her panties out? In the sink where the children wash their hands or the kitchen sink where food is prepared? I can't imagine that you would want them to put everyone's health at risk to clean out the panties.

I'm not trying to sound harsh, but I can't believe this would be an issue for someone to clean their own child's poopy panties out at home.
sillygoose16 03:07 PM 12-06-2011
After speaking with my childs teacher I was informed that the accident to which she had to panties to wear happened 10 mins. before I got there. I dont expect them to wash her soiled clothes. I'm ok with that coming home. I'm not ok picking her up with wet pants on and not wearing underpants. Thats just disgusting.
CheekyChick 01:39 PM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by sillygoose16:
After speaking with my childs teacher I was informed that the accident to which she had to panties to wear happened 10 mins. before I got there. I dont expect them to wash her soiled clothes. I'm ok with that coming home. I'm not ok picking her up with wet pants on and not wearing underpants. Thats just disgusting.
If I were you, I would put your daughter back in Pull-Ups until she is fully potty trained. This will help avoid the stress of cleaning out her soiled clothes at home. If that's not an option, I would send LOTS of panties/pants so she is never sent home without panties again. Since the staff isn't always telling you when she runs low, are you allowed to see her cubby so you can keep on top of what she needs?
saved4always 07:57 PM 01-12-2012
kpa0627 -

while it may be unsanitary to rinse in the sink, you can always put the underwear down in the toilet, and when you flush it, it usually takes off the feces and most of the mess from the underwear.

from there, you put it in a bag. there's no excuse for sending a turd home in a bag to someone who pays tons of money for you to care for their child.
I find your "tons of money" remark absolutely hysterical. I watch 3 kids, 2 part time and one almost full time. I make about $3.00 an hour before taxes. Yeah...that is "tons of money"...LOL! And there is NO WAY for that "tons of money", that I am going to allow any child to continuously have accidents in my home. I didn't allow my own kids to do that and they are all going to the bathroom just fine on thier own now.
saved4always 08:27 PM 01-12-2012
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
also, most of our forefathers and presidents you mentioned were indeed homeschooled because that was a way of life back then - some of the presidents you mentioned had very little education at all.

does that mean they weren't great people or good at what they did? absolutely not. the fact of the matter is, times have changed. our society values education. you couldn't find a president, a lawyer, or a teacher today that wasn't required to have a college education. back then, teachers were often teenagers. again, times have changed.

i think childcare workers are equally as important as the above mentioned - so why are the standards lower? that's my point.
If childcare workers were paid as much as degreed teachers, parents could not afford childcare. Most parents are sending their children to daycare because they cannot leave them alone at home when they go to work. They do not want to pay what it would cost if childcare workers were paid more than minumum wage. What is the incentive for childcare workers to get a college degree along with student loans, etc., just to graduate and make $7 or $8 an hour at a childcare center? I have been on both sides now. When I was working full time, we could only afford to pay so much for daycare before it was too expensive to be worth working. Now I provide childcare in my home and many parents, in my experience, do not want to pay top dollar for care. They do want one on one exceptional care for their $2 to $3 an hour though.
Carsonsmom04 12:14 PM 01-15-2012
Where I work, you can not rinse the undies out, because sinks in the bathroom are for washing hands ONLY! I simply dump the poo in the toliet, wipe it as much as possible with a baby wipe & bag it up. It's up to the parent whether they trash them or not. I as a parent do NOT want someone washing out dirty undies in the sink where my child washes his/her hands.
shannon 08:40 PM 01-17-2012
To those of you that keep repeating "..put the child back in pull-ups until they are completely potty trained..", I would really like to smack you over the head with a dirty pull up.
If you don't want to deal with feces, then I suggest you not to touch anything in a bathroom, go to a store and touch shopping carts, shelves, etc..., never ever go out to eat anywhere public, and never touch money. As a matter of fact, you might as well wrap yourself in a plastic bubble with a Lysol bomb.
And stop acting like parents who work complain just because they don't want to do laundry. No, what they don't want is to have to pay 1/4 th of their income to a day care provider on top of bills, rent, food and other nessecities, then have to go out and pay $6 to $10 a pack for underwear because they have to throw them away after a poop stain sets in.
Put on gloves, swirl the soiled underwear in a toilet, spray some laundry treatment or bleach on them, then bag them.
Don't like it? Then go flip burgers for minimum wage and complain because you have to deal with nasty kitchen duties all day. At least you would be getting paid more according to most of you.
Cat Herder 07:55 AM 01-18-2012
Yes. Having kids is expensive.
daycare 08:17 AM 01-18-2012
Originally Posted by shannon:
To those of you that keep repeating "..put the child back in pull-ups until they are completely potty trained..", I would really like to smack you over the head with a dirty pull up.
If you don't want to deal with feces, then I suggest you not to touch anything in a bathroom, go to a store and touch shopping carts, shelves, etc..., never ever go out to eat anywhere public, and never touch money. As a matter of fact, you might as well wrap yourself in a plastic bubble with a Lysol bomb.
And stop acting like parents who work complain just because they don't want to do laundry. No, what they don't want is to have to pay 1/4 th of their income to a day care provider on top of bills, rent, food and other nessecities, then have to go out and pay $6 to $10 a pack for underwear because they have to throw them away after a poop stain sets in.
Put on gloves, swirl the soiled underwear in a toilet, spray some laundry treatment or bleach on them, then bag them.
Don't like it? Then go flip burgers for minimum wage and complain because you have to deal with nasty kitchen duties all day. At least you would be getting paid more according to most of you.
I could care less if I got poop on me. and I hear what you are saying loud and clear, but what would you do if you had a child come to your house and poop their pants. Of course since you could not possibly keep your eyes on every single child 100% of the time, you more than likely won't see that little Joey pooped his pants and now it is all over your playroom, other kids in the daycare, toys, carpet, sofa, and on and on.

Would you like your kid to go to a place that allows that to happen? I don't really know too many parents that would allow or want their kid subjected to an environment that this would be allowed to happen.

And for the record, I do wash out undies that get poop on them. Kids can wear undies here during potty training, they just need to keep a pull up on over it to contain any accidents.....

I know it's hard for you to see this situation from a providers perspective because you are not one.....
Checkinkids.com 08:46 AM 01-18-2012
Touch poop? I have actually seen my wife catch puke in her bare hands to keep it from going all over the place! That's being on the front lines. btw - she does wash poopy pants out - but it IS very disrespectful for parents to send kids that are not potty trained in regular undies.
mommacat 11:24 PM 01-27-2012
The faucet of your hand washing sink? Really?
Unregistered 09:16 AM 01-28-2012
I live in Indiana and have a question. The day care my children attend have told me that it is the law that they cannot rinse out soiled underwear. They simply remove it from my child and let it sit in a bag even with poop in it without rinsing or dumping the poop from the panties all day til I come to pick them up. Of course by the time I get it home it is disgusting and the panties are usually ruined by this pt. It becomes not only gross but costly to replace the stained panties. What is Indiana state law on this? Is it true? If it is, whoever passed this one obviously has never opened up a bag of 8 hour old poop.
Thank you kindly
I personally didn't allow parents to bring their child unless they were already almost trained at home because of things like this. In CO it's not legal to wash out a child's soiled underwear either. The reason is because it's considered unsanitary. Where would we rinse everyone else's child's undies? In the sink where handwashing is enforced? My bathtub? The kitchen? Where?

So, I did bag up the poopy underwear but I did always spray some stain remover on them. I was very good about getting the actual poop (not the remnants) into the toilet though. If it was a huge stain? I would just throw the underwear away. Yes, it can be somewhat costly to replace undies...but...it is FAR more expensive and wasteful to keep your children in diapers. If they are pretty well potty trained, generally, there should be no reason that anyone would be throwing away that many pairs of underwear to the point there is a hefty cost.

As a daycare provider who got fed up with ridiculous parents, I quit. I would NEVER in a million years get a college degree to run a child care out of my home or work in a daycare center. At home, I got **** pay. At a center, you get minimum wage. I want to know how many parents her think it's actually realistic and feasible to go and spend a ton of money on college knowing you could NEVER pay back any loans off of the job we do (or in my case, did) I mean you are not being serious that you think we should go do that, right? You want to pay $1.50/hr (Yes, I have taken that little) to me but you want me to have a degree? I say you are EFFING CRAZY! It's disgusting that parents priorities are misplaced these days. What happened to your CHILD being the most important thing in your life? Since when is it acceptable to treat your providers like crap so you can have all the material things you want, and yet not want to even provide the BASIC stuff for your child? FFS, a pack of 6 underwear is around $5-$6. A pack of diapers which you throw away after one use (say a pack of 28 Huggies) is at least $10! Either potty train your kid, or don't. It's not your provider's job to do all the work for you anyway.

SO MANY parents just don't want to be parents anymore, they want someone else to raise their kids and then bitch at them when things aren't exactly like THEY want them to be. They are not there with the kids nearly as much as the provider, and yet they think they know everything.

I'm now a working mom and I tell you, the school tends to know a lot about my children and while it's hard to admit that, I do actually appreciate their involvement when I can't be there. You would be amazed at what providers know and do for your kids. I say if you are that unhappy with your provider, or providers in general, quit your job and babysit (you'll last a week!)...and do us all a favor, don't have any more children.

In fact, ANYONE who bitches about how expensive children are should be aware of some birth control options out there. Do I sound really MEAN? YEP. Do I care? NO because no one cares when they are being rude to daycare providers. It's time someone told it like it really is.
Heyjames 06:35 PM 02-29-2012
This is an issue that just came up in my daycare. Today I got a bag of clothes from my son that was completed covered in poop. Solid in the underwear, but some parts mushed due to being smushed in his cubby. The underwear was destroyed and other clothes have been soaking for hours so I can get them cleaned. I understand it can be gross, but atleast dump the solid poop out...there is no need for that. takes no more time than it does to wipe a butt.
JenNJ 10:25 AM 03-01-2012
Originally Posted by Heyjames:
This is an issue that just came up in my daycare. Today I got a bag of clothes from my son that was completed covered in poop. Solid in the underwear, but some parts mushed due to being smushed in his cubby. The underwear was destroyed and other clothes have been soaking for hours so I can get them cleaned. I understand it can be gross, but atleast dump the solid poop out...there is no need for that. takes no more time than it does to wipe a butt.
i can imagine that this is frustrating to parents. But there a few things that I think parents need to understand.

It is illegal dump solid waste in the trash. I shake off whatever solid waste I can over the toilet. Unfortunately, a lot of the time this causes the water to splash onto the toilet and floor. Then I need to clean the entire bathroom before anyone else can use it.

I have up to seven children who need to be supervised during this time. I cannot neglect the needs of children in order to save a pair of underwear or an outfit. So the easiest and MOST RESPONSIBLE thing for me to do is to shake off what I can and bag the clothing.

Would any parent really want a group of children including their child minimally supervised while a provider dealt with poopy clothing so that it doesn't stain?
Heyjames 06:26 PM 03-01-2012
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
i can imagine that this is frustrating to parents. But there a few things that I think parents need to understand.

It is illegal dump solid waste in the trash. I shake off whatever solid waste I can over the toilet. Unfortunately, a lot of the time this causes the water to splash onto the toilet and floor. Then I need to clean the entire bathroom before anyone else can use it.

I have up to seven children who need to be supervised during this time. I cannot neglect the needs of children in order to save a pair of underwear or an outfit. So the easiest and MOST RESPONSIBLE thing for me to do is to shake off what I can and bag the clothing.

Would any parent really want a group of children including their child minimally supervised while a provider dealt with poopy clothing so that it doesn't stain?

I do understand that it takes away from the other students, and if the roles were reversed, I would not want my child not supervised. I biggest issue was having a solid poop put in a bag and handed to me. I have a washing machine, stains aren't my concern, But I am in the child care industry and we dump solids...

The directors answer to my concern was the assistant that took care of my son had given her notice, was bitter and lazy and just didn't care, so she bagged all of it up and gave it to me....that's a problem...
Heyjames 06:34 PM 03-01-2012
Originally Posted by CheekyChick:
Just a few thoughts...

1. If your child was in cloth diapers - they would get sent home poop and all. No difference with panties.

2. If your child is still pooping in her panties, then she should still be in Pull-Ups.

3. Where do you expect the employees to wash her panties out? In the sink where the children wash their hands or the kitchen sink where food is prepared? I can't imagine that you would want them to put everyone's health at risk to clean out the panties.

I'm not trying to sound harsh, but I can't believe this would be an issue for someone to clean their own child's poopy panties out at home.
#2...accidents happen..
#3...nope, but they can dump out the solid poop in the potty, and bag the rest...

I know personally I don't care about cleaning my own kids clothes, that's my job, but don't want my son to be coming hope with a bag that has a ball of poop in it...
Unregistered 10:10 PM 06-12-2012
Sorry for reviving an old thread but this is seriously cracking me up!

To the person who thinks it's gross to swish in the toilet, and whoever wouldnt put poopu panties in the washer: clearly you never cloth dipes a child! That's cool. Just know it's normalcy for many of us.

When we first interviewed them, I was incredulous that our awesome, fabulous and much-beloved daycare provider happily agreed to using our cloth diapers. They have cheerfully done it for over two years now. I would never, ever expect them to fully rinse out a diaper. Seriously???? Who would expect that? The drippy diaper makes such a mess, you really have to be going straight Into a pail or preferably the washer!

I would be LIVID if my daycare threw out my daughter's panties now that she's potty training. That would just seem crazy to me. But then again...we were attracted to the kind of provider who was happy to handle cloth diapers.

In return for their attitude about this and many other things, my husband and I are extremely loyal, pay very fair rates and have refered lots of good parents to our daycare. They are awesome!!!
Hunni Bee 06:01 PM 06-16-2012
-ing at the tags for this thread - "dead horse", "the post that never ends"...

Anyway, I do NOT get paid enough to swish anyone's underwear around in a toilet. I cannot/will not scrub poopy underwear in any sink or put them in the washer.

I will:

Clean the child
Change their clothing
Dump solid poop in the toilet
Bag the poopy clothes and send them home
Soak clothing stained with things other than body fluids, so the stains don't set

If the underwear are horrible/too stinky, I bag and throw away, and call the parent and tell them I did it. I haven't had a parent get angry with me for that yet.
jokalima 09:46 AM 06-18-2012
Well I have nothing written in my HB about this but I never rinse or wash poopie undies, I just dump the poop if possible in the toilet and put the undies in a bag and send it home, I think is not my decision to toss it or not. One time though a little girl had a very bad diarrhea and the panty was just a big mess so I tossed it, I apologized to mom and explained why I did it, she was fine with it
Tags:2009, dead horse, older kids, poop, rinse, soiled, the post that would not end, underwear, wash
1 2
Reply Up