Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Leaving Early/Prorating Rates
lovemykidstoo 02:46 PM 10-14-2012
I was curious as to what everyone does that charges by a daiy rate. I charge $35 per day no matter how many hours the child is in care. There are a couple of days coming up where I need parents to pick up their child because I have school functions with my kids. The one time is 1/2 hour to 1 hour early for a couple of people and the other time would be 2 hours early. I have never prorated the times, but a friend of mine asked me if I did and I thought, ya know, I never thought about it and noone has ever asked me to do it. What are your thoughts?
Blackcat31 06:48 PM 10-14-2012
I never pro-rated days. The way I figure it is if I am reliable 99% of the time and am a good provider, then anytime I need to take an hour or two on a rare occassion, then I can and will without guilt.
Rachel 10:54 PM 10-14-2012
I am not allowed to close early or open late. If I can't be here, my backup is. I tell the parents my backup will be here, and usually they pick up if they can, but even if they do no prorated rate.
cheerfuldom 06:17 AM 10-15-2012
I dont prorate....but I also have only ever closed early one day in five years.
lovemykidstoo 06:37 AM 10-15-2012
The only one I feel kinda guilty about is the one that's normally here until 5:15 and they have to pick up at 2:30. So you guys think I shouldn't feel bad about that? I just don't want to get into the habit of saying that I will prorate if they're picking up like at 2:30, but not prorating if it's only a 1/2 hour early. Don't want to get into the situation of where to draw the line.
Willow 07:39 AM 10-15-2012
To me where to draw the line would be easy (if I charged that way, as a disclaimer, I don't).

You choose to close, you prorate because parents have to take time off of work and possibly pay someone else to watch their child.

They come early, you don't prorate because you're still available for the amount of time they contracted you for.

If it's contracted time they're paying for, they are entitled to the service and you are entitled to the money made from being available during those times.

You cannot (imho) break the contract and shorten the amount of time you both agreed upon without reimbursing them for the service they contracted you to provide that you're now not going to.

Unless it's going to work both ways that isn't fair.
lovemykidstoo 07:44 AM 10-15-2012
Yup, I totally see your point Willow and that was kinda my thinking too.. I really felt like I should prorate for the day that I need to leave at 2:30 because for a couple it would be well over 2 hours early that they would need to pick up. Just really wasn't sure about the day that I need to leave 1/2 hour early. That would only be about $1.50 off per family and wondered if it was really doing the extra figuring for that.
Willow 08:52 AM 10-15-2012
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Yup, I totally see your point Willow and that was kinda my thinking too.. I really felt like I should prorate for the day that I need to leave at 2:30 because for a couple it would be well over 2 hours early that they would need to pick up. Just really wasn't sure about the day that I need to leave 1/2 hour early. That would only be about $1.50 off per family and wondered if it was really doing the extra figuring for that.

I would do it just on principle.

Your families will appreciate the gesture even if it's not much coming back their way. Sort of a, you're making accommodations for me outside of our contract, so I can at least not charge you for your trouble.

I personally think gestures like that are phenomenal for building solid business relationships!
lovemykidstoo 09:10 AM 10-15-2012
Originally Posted by Willow:
I would do it just on principle.

Your families will appreciate the gesture even if it's not much coming back their way. Sort of a, you're making accommodations for me outside of our contract, so I can at least not charge you for your trouble.

I personally think gestures like that are phenomenal for building solid business relationships!
I think you're absolutely correct!
mom2many 09:24 AM 10-15-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I never pro-rated days. The way I figure it is if I am reliable 99% of the time and am a good provider, then anytime I need to take an hour or two on a rare occassion, then I can and will without guilt.
This is exactly how I've run my business. The only time I will pro-rate, is if I need dcks picked up by noon (basically working only 1/2 day) However, if it's just an hour or two once a year or less, parents are totally fine paying the normal rate and usually even happy for having a reason to leave work early!
mac60 11:10 AM 10-15-2012
But what about all those times that parents drop off early or pick up late. I don't charge them early arrival fees or late arrival fees. It works both ways.
Willow 12:26 PM 10-15-2012
Originally Posted by mac60:
But what about all those times that parents drop off early or pick up late. I don't charge them early arrival fees or late arrival fees. It works both ways.

The OP didn't say she allows parents to drop off early or pick up late for free though
lovemykidstoo 12:29 PM 10-15-2012
Originally Posted by Willow:
The OP didn't say she allows parents to drop off early or pick up late for free though
No, I don't ever work past 5:30 for any reason due to my family schedule and I haven't had anyone ask for before 7:30 care in quite awhile. I think the earliest I have ever had anyone drop off was loike 7:15 instead of 7:30 and I didn't charge extra at that time, but that's been years.
daycare 12:55 PM 10-15-2012
the only time I will prorate, if it is less than 4.5 hours. So basically closing right after lunch. 7:45-12:30. I will then only charge a half day rate.
Tags:prorate
Reply Up