Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>For Those Of You With Waiting Lists...
mamac 10:12 PM 04-26-2013
I'm curious how this works. Don't most parents need to find care pretty quickly? If you have no openings aren't they forced to find care elsewhere and if they do- do they leave that provider when you have an opening? What is the typical turnover for childcare? I'm assuming, in ideal situations, it would be years with each child. ? It just seems weird to me that you would ever get any clients from a waiting list unless you happened to know of spot opening up in the very near future.
TheGoodLife 10:53 PM 04-26-2013
Originally Posted by mamac:
I'm curious how this works. Don't most parents need to find care pretty quickly? If you have no openings aren't they forced to find care elsewhere and if they do- do they leave that provider when you have an opening? What is the typical turnover for childcare? I'm assuming, in ideal situations, it would be years with each child. ? It just seems weird to me that you would ever get any clients from a waiting list unless you happened to know of spot opening up in the very near future.
I've always wondered the same thing!
MamaBearCanada 03:25 AM 04-27-2013
Interested too...
MrsSteinel'sHouse 04:21 AM 04-27-2013
I keep a waiting list. I tell the parent that if an opening comes up i will let them know. It use to be that as soon as I said I was full, I would loose a child! This way I have a list to turn to. Around here it is hard to find licensed providers so a lot of time they end up with a relative watching them and are happy to receiv a phone call! Sometimes when I call them they are happy with their current situation, other times they are still looking. I have a list going for my fall infant spot. Toward the end of summer, I will interview and make a decision.
Average time for a child.. I have had some from birth through their first few years of school! I was just shocked this past month when I lost a full timer, it was financial issues for them. Job loss would be a reason or moving that I have lost kids. County kids tend to be high turnover so I only try to have one family at a time. That says some of my county kids have been the best. Interviewing for fit and not just to fill spots is my best advise for long term kids!
Patches 11:56 AM 04-27-2013
I have gotten one client from my waiting list who called me when her baby was 2 weeks old. When I called her telling her that I had a spot open up, the baby was almost 6 weeks so she started right at 6 weeks.
One time I called a woman from my waiting list athat had a newborn. By the time I called her, she had already made arrangements with her SIL to watch the baby. Fast forward to a couple months later and she calls me back wanting to know if I had a spot because her SIL is going back to school. She almost signed up with me but then her SIL decided she would take online classes and said she could still watch the baby.
All the other ones I've called have already found care elsewhere
LaLa1923 12:41 PM 04-27-2013
I think with this economy it is almost essential to have a waiting list....

When someone calls I explain I do not currently have an opening for what they need. However, they may still come and interview with me to be placed on my waiting list.

Things happen all the time, it would be nice to have all clients until they age out.

Recently, I've had a lot of people contact me who aren't even due yet. They still come out to interview.

I have not had to turn to my wait list yet, but I still keep it just in case. If you have a nice list, chances are someone on there will need care if you ever have a spot.

I'm sorry, I just remembered that I did pull some from my list and they are coming to interview again.
nanglgrl 12:55 PM 04-27-2013
Most of the time when I contact someone off of my waiting list they've found care. That said, one of my current clients is someone who was on my waiting list but they were only on there for about a month and I the past it was usually more like 6 months.
AmyKidsCo 03:45 PM 04-28-2013
I agree that it's essential to keep a waiting list. One thing I've learned over the years is just when I start thinking that my group is stable and I've got a while before I have to worry about openings, a family suddenly terminates out of the blue.

In fact, it happened to me just 3 weeks ago and of the 25 people I contacted on my waiting list, most had already found care but 4 wanted interviews. That's 20% - not a bad ratio.

Another thing a wait list can do is give you a chance to keep your name out there. I send a brochure to all the families on my wait list and contact them periodically to see if they still want to remain on the list. (Except I hadn't recently, which is why I still had 25 names on the list.)
Little Star75 03:54 PM 04-28-2013
I had a waiting list at one point but now that I contacted them they already had care.
IMO if the family really likes you or your daycare most likely would want to be wait listed so when an opening comes they will bring their child.
frugalmama4 04:15 PM 04-28-2013
So all this talk about a waiting list has me thinking.

(Do you guys also) do you guys think it is a good idea to send corresponds by mail/email to old clients (one's that left on a good note) and potential clients (one's that did not sign up with you for one reason or another "hours, $$$ etc) and those (neighbors) that have not shown any interest in your services???

I'm thinking sending something about changes in the services you offer (weekend, new rates/hours etc)

Questions-
How do you obtain the address for potential clients? The ones that do not enroll with you?

I have never had a waiting list...would love to have one to fall back on.

Thanks
AmyKidsCo 04:41 PM 04-28-2013
When placing a family on my wait list I ask for:
Name
Address
Phone
Email
Name and Age of Child/ren
Schedule (full time/part time)
Anticipated Hours
Anticipated Start Date

I don't generally keep in touch with previous clients because in most cases the ones who left on a good note left for reasons that would keep them from coming back. (Parent quit work, child graduated out, moved out of state, etc)

I also wouldn't share change in rates/hours/benefits because my rates always go up, my hours never change (and would only be less, not more) and my benefits only increase. Not changes I'd want to advertise, kwim?

But I do encourage previous and prospective clients to "like" my facebook page so they can see what kind of things we do in my program. (And I'm VERY careful what I post there) I reserve my newsletter for currently enrolled clients because it contains more specific information about the program and enrolled families (like children's names/ages).

IMO the more you can get your name out there, the better! Even if your wait list families never enroll, they may pass your information to another family that is looking for care, or may say something good about your program if it comes up in conversation. You never know...
daycare 04:53 PM 04-28-2013
I keep information of all potential clients and those that have inquired of our opening updates. I'll shoot out an email basically saying we will have an opening for your child's age group on xyz date, call and schedule your interview now.something to this degree.

I do this to all of those that I have ever exchanged emails with. I actually have gotten 2 clients this way.

One client emailed me through my website but only emailed to ask prices. Never heard from again. Several months went by and I had an opening so I sent out an email to all of those that had inquired or asked to be on a wait list. The family had put their child with some family members and was unhappy with the current situation, but then was very happy to hear from me. I still have this client.

People usually move on unless it is for a very young child that has not yet of age for my program...
frugalmama4 05:28 PM 04-28-2013
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
When placing a family on my wait list I ask for:
Name
Address
Phone
Email
Name and Age of Child/ren
Schedule (full time/part time)
Anticipated Hours
Anticipated Start Date

I don't generally keep in touch with previous clients because in most cases the ones who left on a good note left for reasons that would keep them from coming back. (Parent quit work, child graduated out, moved out of state, etc)

I also wouldn't share change in rates/hours/benefits because my rates always go up, my hours never change (and would only be less, not more) and my benefits only increase. Not changes I'd want to advertise, kwim?

But I do encourage previous and prospective clients to "like" my facebook page so they can see what kind of things we do in my program. (And I'm VERY careful what I post there) I reserve my newsletter for currently enrolled clients because it contains more specific information about the program and enrolled families (like children's names/ages).

IMO the more you can get your name out there, the better! Even if your wait list families never enroll, they may pass your information to another family that is looking for care, or may say something good about your program if it comes up in conversation. You never know...

Thanks for the feed...I need to REALLY be more selective with the families I do take in. I will have ALL families fill out a "questionnaire card/guest book" before the interview starts, I will use some of your questions. At least this way I will have the information in case I don't offer them the spot and can email at a later date. THX
melilley 06:22 PM 04-28-2013
I have a waiting list for infants and I just opened in January of this year. In my state, family daycare's can only have 2 under 18 months so there is a great demand for infant care and people start looking when they are pregnant. Most of the families on my waiting list are due in the next couple of weeks or months and are looking for care starting in June through October. I'm full for babies, but like other pp's have said, you just never know if someone will leave due to various reasons. In my instance, I have a baby who's mom is student teaching and she isn't sure if he will come after June so it's good that I have a waiting list in case he leaves. And I figure that if you at least do an interview and it goes well and they are a good fit or you know them, that if they like you and aren't happy where they are at, they will be more than happy to leave to come to you if you have a sudden opening!
Reply Up