Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Why Don't Daycare Publish Price Lists on The Internet?
Myst_Seattle 09:13 PM 09-23-2019
Looking at websites of daycares one can notice a peculiar pattern - almost none of them ever publish their prices online. This seems strange as presumably this way they'd be able to filter out applicants who find the pricing too expensive.

Is there a reason for this business practice?
CalCare 11:49 PM 09-23-2019
Well, speaking only for myself, I don't post prices because they will eventually change and I have no intention of dealing with updating my website 😄

I don't post them in ads because my rates are a little too complicated for putting in a short ad.
Cat Herder 04:50 AM 09-24-2019
I do post my rates. Makes a great filter so I don't have to deal with bargaining. One rate for all.

Some don't for the opposite reason. They feel the client out before quoting a price. Some clients they quote higher (maybe they came from a higher-priced provider), some lower (maybe they had a bad life circumstance they did not create themselves), and some use adjustable rates for hours needed.
Ariana 05:35 AM 09-24-2019
It might be because pricing lists are complicated based on your needs so they don’t bother to list them. It could be that they want a client to see their space or get to know the provider first before quoting them the price. I know that I have had a few people tell me I am on the expensive side if they ask upfront but then when they meet me they make it work all of a sudden.
Blackcat31 06:27 AM 09-24-2019
I don't out right list mine on my website because it's honestly very specific for each family. Depending on several factors their rate differs from a standard one set daily or weekly rate so it would really be impossible to list.

I do state on my website that "Rates are competitive with area programs and can be tailored to fit each family's individual needs"

However I will share mine if a client calls and asks (how they ask and in what context tells me alot) but I have no issues discussing and explaining my rate structure to potential clients.
Blackcat31 06:28 AM 09-24-2019
Also here's an article Tom Copeland wrote awhile back about rates over the phone. Not the same as listing them on a website but it still offers valuable insight to the question

http://tomcopelandblog.com/should-yo...er-the-phone-1
Unregistered 07:22 AM 09-24-2019
Parents know how much they want to pay for daycare. It doesn't mean they can't pay more. If I put my price on my website, many of my current customers just wouldn't show up here. But when they came and they decided that it worth to pay more then they originally planned.
Snowmom 08:26 AM 09-24-2019
Mine aren't listed because rates are based on individual needs with the earliest pick up times being considerably less than later pick up times.
Out of the ten families enrolled, only two are at the same rate.
When someone inquires without giving me specifics, I give them a range. But the range has an $85 difference!
jenboo 08:43 AM 09-24-2019
I do a flat rate and list mine on my website.
daycarediva 10:40 AM 09-24-2019
Base rate is listed on my website. It's the lowest full time care can possibly BE, 'rates starting at....'. Weeds out the insane amount of people looking for the cheapest rates.
Meeko 12:56 PM 09-24-2019
I post mine on my web site and happily give them over the phone.

I know I would hate it if I saw a car I liked in a car lot and when I called to ask the price, was told "Ah! Come in and talk to me! I can give you a deal! Drive it and see what you think!"

I would pass. Don't waste my time. The car maybe way out of my budget, even if I like it. Tell me the price, or forget it.

I am sure many daycare parents are the same. They have a certain budget and I may not be in it. They have a right to know that before coming to look etc. It's a waste of my time too, if they can't afford me.
Just my 2c.....
hwichlaz 01:39 PM 09-24-2019
My weekly fee is age-based since I only take full-time, so I publish. It's 180 or 165.
Unregistered 09:52 PM 10-29-2019
To rope families in and entice on program and not steer away because of price.
Unregistered 11:50 PM 10-30-2019
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
My weekly fee is age-based since I only take full-time, so I publish. It's 180 or 165.
would you publish your price if it would be in 2-3 times higher of an average price in your area?
sunshst 05:31 PM 11-16-2019
My rate is posted on my website. It eliminates so many uncomfortable calls, and it always reaches my intended group of clients.
hwichlaz 02:27 PM 11-18-2019
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
would you publish your price if it would be in 2-3 times higher of an average price in your area?

If my rates were 2-3 times higher than average I'd be empty and unemployed.
Cat Herder 06:55 AM 11-19-2019
I was thinking the same unless of course, I offered some other service.
Unregistered 02:37 PM 11-19-2019
it doesn't always work like that.
Unregistered 02:43 PM 11-19-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I was thinking the same unless of course, I offered some other service.
you don't need to offer "some other service". You just need to offer high-quality daycare and have that daycare in an area where live people which can afford that price.
Rockgirl 03:12 PM 11-19-2019
you don't need to offer "some other service". You just need to offer high-quality daycare and have that daycare in an area where live people which can afford that price.
Slightly higher—sure. 2-3 TIMES higher? No way. Not around here.
coloradoprovider 07:20 AM 11-21-2019
I thought the same thing!
hwichlaz 10:40 AM 11-21-2019
thus the statement "in my area"

no one here can afford that...except those that hire a nanny instead

I live in the 2nd poorest county in California.
Tags:advertising rates, posting rates, rates
Reply Up