Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sad and a Little Worried
AmyKidsCo 05:44 PM 04-05-2013
My favorite DC family gave me 2 weeks notice tonight - totally out of the blue. Their 4 yr old is going to 4K in the fall (I didn't know this) and they can't transport (I knew this) plus Mom's new schedule is part time (I didn't know this either) but because it varies they need a full time spot. So they found a nanny who only gets paid when she works and can transport.

Not only am I shocked and incredibly sad, I'm worried about finances. This family has a 4 yr old and 10 mo old, and my other family of two (4yr and 2 yr) are leaving mid summer so they can adjust to the new center before the 4 yr old starts 4K. (Darn that 4K anyway!) I have a baby lined up for September but the rest of the summer I only have one paying child.

The 4 yr old started with me at 3 mos. I really expected to have her brother another 3 years at least. I hate this part of my job.
sharlan 06:00 PM 04-05-2013
I'm in the same boat with you.

I am losing one child in June. Plus, I have one family that I may lose shortly. The parents will make a decision this weekend and let me know on Monday.
NeedaVaca 06:01 PM 04-05-2013
awwww, I'm sorry! That is sad stay positive though! I think we are coming up on the easiest time of year to fill spots. Start placing ads asap and I bet something comes along for you! I know it can depend on where you live so hopefully this is the case for you

Finances- coupon, sell stuff on ebay, almost garage sale time! You can find things to cut out if necessary until you are full again! Good luck
momofsix 06:33 PM 04-05-2013
Oh, so sorry. That's tough, especially since you've had them for so long. I hope you can fill the spots quickly.
AmyKidsCo 06:57 PM 04-05-2013
Thanks all. I'm more upset and sad about losing the children than about finances. I try to keep a distance but I got too close with this family and am so sad that I won't be able to be with the baby as he grows up like I was with his big sister. On a good note I know that since we're so close we'll keep in touch.
LK5kids 08:11 PM 04-05-2013
WI.here too and our 4K went from five half days to free child care for the other half of the day. That wipes out all the kids this age......so yes, darn 4k!

Sorry about these families leaving. Here's to lots of calls so you can choose from some great families!

Half tempted to move back to my husbands home town in Minnesota. 4K is a choice of two half days or four half days and it's not free like here. Families pay a good amount for these days.
Evansmom 08:13 PM 04-05-2013
I'm sorry you're feeling sad. It's hard to lose good families.

I just lost a sweet little girl I'd had for almost a year. Her parents split up and her mom got an apartment by me. Then the parents worked it out and moved back together. I'm happy for the little girl and her family but sad for us. Our group dynamics have changed and we all miss her
WImom 04:54 AM 04-06-2013
So sorry - I had a couple of surprise 4k kids now for next fall too. We just can't compete.
preschoolteacher 12:47 PM 04-06-2013
Amy and Kids... I have to say that I just stumbled across your daycare website recently when I was researching policies, and I am so inspired by your program! Then I saw your screen name here, and I am sure you must be the same person.

Your program seems exceptional. I would have to believe you will fill those open spaces soon. Sorry that you're in a rough spot right now!

(By the way, don't worry, I read your policy about copyright issues and won't be plagiarizing your website. I am writing my own policies, but I am keeping the inspiration I received from your site in mind.)
MrsSteinel'sHouse 05:43 PM 04-06-2013
I understand! I got two week notice for a little guy I love this week. He has been here since last June and generally does 12 hour days! We will miss him!
Praying that it fills quickly with a kid under two gotta keep that kido in college!
frugalmama4 07:03 PM 04-06-2013
Sorry to hear...I too hate this part of the business.

What helps me...always live below my means...way below.

Build up a nest egg...every little bit counts.

My plans...find something else I can do on the side to bring in more $$$.

Good luck!
AmyKidsCo 08:30 PM 04-08-2013
Originally Posted by preschoolteacher:
Amy and Kids... I have to say that I just stumbled across your daycare website recently when I was researching policies, and I am so inspired by your program! Then I saw your screen name here, and I am sure you must be the same person.

Your program seems exceptional. I would have to believe you will fill those open spaces soon. Sorry that you're in a rough spot right now!

(By the way, don't worry, I read your policy about copyright issues and won't be plagiarizing your website. I am writing my own policies, but I am keeping the inspiration I received from your site in mind.)
Thanks for the kind words - you really lifted my spirits!
KDC 07:25 AM 04-09-2013
Same boat... I'm losing 2 favorite kids this summer too . I've had them both since infants and they're the same age as my own kids, so they've grown up together. Age 4&6... The one is in am kindergarten with my dd. It is hard financially, but I'm more sad because they are 'family'. We see them far more often then any of our family and they're so stinking cute together. I am also losing another to preschool -at risk state school. I'm currently interviewing but have had a few whack-a-doos come along. Hoping to find the right match soon. Are you doing anything for them? I was thinking of doing shutterfly books for the kids?
Reply Up