Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help! Parent Surveys Are Back...How to Respond??
frugalmama4 11:17 AM 08-08-2015
Hello ALL!!

It's been way to long since I have posted or been on the forum; I've been WAY to busy...way to busy.

Anywho-I need help pls

Ok, I received parent surveys back and now need to respond. Their was really only one that had "feedback" so I need to respond in a way that addresses the massing.

Survey question: Any childcare services (parent or child focused) which your family could benefit from?

Answer: -more info or activities on how to introduce sight words?
-more information on how to potty train our children?

Survey question:
"Additional comments" what would you like other parents to know about us?

Answer: I think your childcare services has really helped my little one in motor and social skills. I think you are doing a wonderful job. However I am concerned with your growth and how it will effect my little one. I want to be sure my little one is being challenged and not staying at the same stage.

Ok, so we all know that little statement "your growth" rubbed me the wrong way...

A little background, surveys are anonymously (not required to put name down, returned to a box on the outside of the daycare)...but obviously we all know our parents hand writing and their personalities etc.

So, yes I know exactly which parent this is...background on parent. /child.

Child is a two year old boy...
Parent is what I call a performance based parent..."my child is only two and knows this/that...can do this/that etc.

My responses: I will address the surveys in group email.

Potty training: I will just simple say "no two kids are a like" you will have to find what works for YOUR child. I will also list the standard practices the daycare uses for potty training.

Sight words: Any thoughts?? I'm thinking of breaking down ALL the things a preschool child needs to know before introducing "kindergartner level activities"

My growth: do I address this at all??

Other:

Tips on how to bridge the gap between daycare and home learning...although our daycare kids are with us most days for 10hours plus...the structured learning time is typical 1-2hours..."for my program anyways".

How do I say to parents you need to also work with DCB at home to reinforce all we are learning here?? How to say this without coming across ugly or as if I'm not able to teach DCB "123's-ABC's".

Is this ok: Starting this curriculum year I'm thinking of putting little notes on the kids work example" fine motor skills at work here" or practice with me...counting numbers 1-5" ...anyone else do this??

I'm just so sick of these parents who puts everything on the daycare provider.

Help me pls... Thanks in advance
childcaremom 12:01 PM 08-08-2015
Hmm... I am not focussed on academics but whenever I update parents on what we are doing I always make sure that I am mentioning the topic that I am "introducing" to the child, mention briefly the activities we are doing to "reinforce" the skills I am "introducing" and highlight that there will be plenty of "repetition" to help solidify their child's learning, skill acquirement, etc.

I try to convey that while I am putting the ideas out there for the child, they are not little Einstein's and will need lots of exposure and opportunity to try things out before mastering the new skill, knowledge, task, etc.

Takes the pressure off of the child to perform for mom and dad and let's parents know that it's ok if their little one is struggling in a certain area. At least that's what I hope it comes off as.

maybe you could mention some things parents could do to reinforce what the dcks are doing in group? For example, to help learn letters, when they are going to the grocery store, make a list for child, look for the store name, it starts with "b". Etc etc.

Sight words? He's two? Good grief.

I like your idea for potty training.
\
Personally, I wouldn't address the growth aspect, at all.
Febby 02:03 PM 08-08-2015
For sight words, I've usually introduced sight words in a three year old classroom AFTER the child(ren) can recognize all (or at least almost all) of their letters the majority of the time. BUT if my group is significantly behind in another area (such as color recognition), I'll focus on that instead.

My center has papers we'll send one once in a while that show what I child know/can do in a specific area and has activities on the back that parents can do at home to help a child improve in that area.

For example, we have one that shows which letters a child can recognize. It just lists the letters, uppercase and lowercase, and we highlight which one the child can recognize. On the back are a few letter recognition activities that are easy for parents to do at home.
spedmommy4 02:10 PM 08-08-2015
I give my parents these:

http://www.rif.org/us/literacy-resou...to-age-six.htm

Pushing children to learn things before they are developmentally ready can cause significant academic problems in Kindergarten. Don't give in!
Annalee 02:14 PM 08-08-2015
Originally Posted by frugalmama4:
Hello ALL!!

It's been way to long since I have posted or been on the forum; I've been WAY to busy...way to busy.

Anywho-I need help pls

Ok, I received parent surveys back and now need to respond. Their was really only one that had "feedback" so I need to respond in a way that addresses the massing.

Survey question: Any childcare services (parent or child focused) which your family could benefit from?

Answer: -more info or activities on how to introduce sight words?
-more information on how to potty train our children?

Survey question:
"Additional comments" what would you like other parents to know about us?

Answer: I think your childcare services has really helped my little one in motor and social skills. I think you are doing a wonderful job. However I am concerned with your growth and how it will effect my little one. I want to be sure my little one is being challenged and not staying at the same stage.

Ok, so we all know that little statement "your growth" rubbed me the wrong way...

A little background, surveys are anonymously (not required to put name down, returned to a box on the outside of the daycare)...but obviously we all know our parents hand writing and their personalities etc.

So, yes I know exactly which parent this is...background on parent. /child.

Child is a two year old boy...
Parent is what I call a performance based parent..."my child is only two and knows this/that...can do this/that etc.

Potty training: I will just simple say "no two kids are a like" you will have to find what works for YOUR child. I will also list the standard practices the daycare uses for potty training.

Sight words: Any thoughts?? I'm thinking of breaking down ALL the things a preschool child needs to know before introducing "kindergartner level activities"

Other:

Tips on how to bridge the gap between daycare and home learning...although our daycare kids are with us most days for 10hours plus...the structured learning time is typical 1-2hours..."for my program anyways".

How do I say to parents you need to also work with DCB at home to reinforce all we are learning here?? How to say this without coming across ugly or as if I'm not able to teach DCB "123's-ABC's".

Is this ok: Starting this curriculum year I'm thinking of putting little notes on the kids work example" fine motor skills at work here" or practice with me...counting numbers 1-5" ...anyone else do this??

I do these annual evaluations at the end of each year. A few years ago, a client put that I needed to have more parent meetings. HA HA! I have 2 per year and I pulled my sign-in logs and showed my licensor how this parent was the ONLY client that had never attended these events. I think some clients use these evaluations for a way to throw in punches to make THEM feel better.
Laurel 02:48 PM 08-08-2015
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
I give my parents these:

Pushing children to learn things before they are developmentally ready can cause significant academic problems in Kindergarten. Don't give in!

I never did parent evaluations except when it was a requirement to get my CDA and then I didn't get to see them according to the rules.

I have no idea what she meant about the growth comment. I'd have to clarify that with her. "Exactly what did you mean by that?"

I would give her the above sheet and tell her that I don't do sight words with 2 year olds. Let her draw her own conclusions or leave it she wants to.

Laurel
Meeko 10:50 PM 08-08-2015
Have never asked for parent input and never will. My opinion is once a parent thinks you need their input.....it's over trying to run your own business.
Snowmom 10:06 AM 08-09-2015
Originally Posted by frugalmama4:

Perfect
I actually do a "one curriculum for all ages" and sight words are a part of this curriculum. However, it's very basic. We have a handful of things labeled in our learning area. Things like "boy", "girl", "book", "read", "up", etc. I call it part of our print-rich environment, along with other word activities.
"Growth" as in expanding your business? Taking on more children? If that's the case, then absolutely. Let them know you are in high demand! You must be doing something right to have people lined up in your program!!
Other:

"As with any learning environment, our children learn best from being engaged in and out of the classroom. I will be happy to share our activities with parents so that you can expand on their knowledge at home." If you have a play-based atmosphere, I would reiterate the benefits to that as well.

Every once in awhile, I may put a post-it on a child's work that they are proud of or that did something unexpected. Otherwise, I stick to my once a year evaluation. I know most providers in my area don't do a formal evaluation, but I am currently homeschooling my son, so it's a habit for me

Me too!
My thoughts are in blue
Play Care 03:33 AM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Have never asked for parent input and never will. My opinion is once a parent thinks you need their input.....it's over trying to run your own business.

But if I had to because of a regulation, I don't know if I'd bother reading them or putting too much stock into what was said.

I feel strongly that if someone has an issue then they need to address it with me in person so we can possibly work out a solution. An "anonymous" survey only allows people to nitpick over petty things.
frugalmama4 07:58 AM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
Hmm... I am not focussed on academics but whenever I update parents on what we are doing I always make sure that I am mentioning the topic that I am "introducing" to the child, mention briefly the activities we are doing to "reinforce" the skills I am "introducing" and highlight that there will be plenty of "repetition" to help solidify their child's learning, skill acquirement, etc.

I try to convey that while I am putting the ideas out there for the child, they are not little Einstein's and will need lots of exposure and opportunity to try things out before mastering the new skill, knowledge, task, etc.

Takes the pressure off of the child to perform for mom and dad and let's parents know that it's ok if their little one is struggling in a certain area. At least that's what I hope it comes off as.

maybe you could mention some things parents could do to reinforce what the dcks are doing in group? For example, to help learn letters, when they are going to the grocery store, make a list for child, look for the store name, it starts with "b". Etc etc.

Sight words? He's two? Good grief.

I like your idea for potty training.
\
Personally, I wouldn't address the growth aspect, at all.
Thank you ALL for such great advice/tips...oh, how I miss you guys

childcaremom I love this word "introducing" oh, how it takes the pressure off the providers shoulders...I will definitely be adding this word to my daily day-care lingo/vocabulary and will even add it to the monthly news letter..."This months themes...we're introducing letters A/B/C" etc.

You Rock Childcaremom!!

Originally Posted by Snowmom:
My thoughts are in blue
Snowmom:

I honestly don't know what was meant by that little word "growth"...but my first impression when I read it was "questioning my ability/intelligence" to teach a two year old...if only you guys knew this DCM, you would probably have drawn the same conclusion. But I can totally see it being the fact that my business is growing....this was my hubby's thought as well. The daycare has had a few changes since the beginning of this year "old assistance quit" working alone for a while...hired a new assistance "whom I have not formally introduce...and do not plan on it" took more kids in. But none of this affects my ability to care for any child or teach!

Snowmom, thanks for your feed back I especially love the play on words "one curriculum for all ages"...I will be using this as well in my survey response.
frugalmama4 08:07 AM 08-10-2015
I give my parents these:

I totally agree with this...this particular child has been filled with some much "academics" and poor thing can't complete simple little task "sit down pls, pick up ur toy, put on your shoes with out having a crying party" DCM has not focusing on teaching him these simple things.

Thanks for the link...I found a lot of valuable information!!
daycarediva 10:45 AM 08-10-2015
I give my parents these:

Sight words? for a two year old? I'm pretty blunt, and I would say that we are working on----sharing, taking turns, following multistep directions, gross motor skills, fine motor skills, visual tracking, self help skills eg toileting and dressing/undressing.
Reply Up