Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does Anyone Do Infant/Toddler Only?
Heidi 07:36 AM 11-02-2012
I have been considering marketing myself as specifically an infant/toddler program. Has anyone done this or considered this?

Here are my reasons:
-
-My house is rather small, and since I have to share my family/daycare space (with the exception of an 8x10 room). It's really hard to have "centers" here without having chaos and the chance of personal things being ruined (like if I leave art materials self-accessible).

-Getting the kiddos as infants and then keeping them until the school year of their 3rd birthday means I am the major influence, and hopefully there will be less behavioral stuff.

-While I like doing some projects, etc with the kids, I am not a fan of lesson planning and "teaching" in the preschool sense. I could really focus on being play based, although I certainly would offer some structured activities.

-The materials and equipment I need could be more focused on the under 3 age group, so the money I spend on stuff would be narrowed to that.

-I could charge a bit more for the younger crowd, although I can only take 4-5 kids. In the past year & a half, I've never had more than 5 fulltime anyway, with a few drops ins.

Right now, I have 3 part-timers (4 m, 12m, and 18 m), a fulltime 11mo, and a fulltime 2 1/2 year old. Oldest one is moving when school ends, and I've got THREE people asking for infant care for February, March, and August. This might be the time to transition out the part-timers and replace them with full-time infants.

hmmmm.....

My current rates are FT $110 for over 2, $130 for under 2. I may go to $140 per week period, again, marketing as "exclusive" to infants and toddlers. I would have to "step it up" a little bit on some equipment and materials.
makap 08:00 AM 11-02-2012
I am doing this!

At this time I have 2 who just turned a year old, one who is 21 month old, one just turned 2 year old and one who is 2.5 years old . I will keep the 2 year old and 2.5 year old until after summer is over and they will both have to move on in September. All have been with me since they were 10-11 months old.

Once they turn 3 I find there are many things that I am unable to provide and still be able to provide quality care for the toddlers and infants that I like to.

At 3 they are ready for preschool and I find that I am unable to keep them from being "bored" unless of course the TV is on all day which I do not allow.

The babies and toddlers will play but the 3 year olds or just going to be 3 year olds seem to "forget" how to play.

I honestly love the kids as I have had them all for so long but I feel that by the time they turn 3 I just do not like this age and the behavior that comes with it.

I used to have no problems with this age. I have been doing this for close to 25 years now but I have just found that in the past few years it has become almost impossible to keep the older kids happy unless you are constantly engaging them.

It is so hard to properly supervise and care for the littler ones when your attention is being demanded or you are constantly being pestered by the older ones who have so much available to do but choose to be underfoot wanting complete attention all of the time or crying because they can't have their way. (Wanting snacks or juice every 10 minutes, wanting to move on to different toys/activities when they have only been playing with the first one for 5 minutes, crying because they must clean up all of the dishes at the kitchen center that they have dumped out before they play with or dump out all of the blocks, crying because I won't let them watch TV etc.)

Babies and toddlers are so easy to please and they PLAY!

I don't know what it is about the 3 year old age but it is just as bad now as SA kids! Never used to be like thisl!
Country Kids 08:27 AM 11-02-2012
See you guys are lucky for your ages. We are only allowed 2 under the age of 2 so something like that would never work.

It would be something like 2 under two and 4 2 year olds if I let them go at three.

The twos are soooooo hard! I would go insane (well it would probably be official by then-)
makap 08:53 AM 11-02-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:

The twos are soooooo hard! I would go insane (well it would probably be official by then-)

I find that the closer the 2 year olds are to turning 3 they get worse!

Especially the boys which I am blessed to have. All 5 dcks are boys! I promise myself after having all boy like this that when I have available spaces they WILL be filled with girls!!
Blackcat31 08:55 AM 11-02-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
See you guys are lucky for your ages. We are only allowed 2 under the age of 2 so something like that would never work.

It would be something like 2 under two and 4 2 year olds if I let them go at three.

Here we are only allowed to have 3 kids under age 2 with a regular license but if we have a Specialized infant/toddler license then we can have up to 6.

We have 8 different class licenses. Each has different adult to child ratios, depending on the ages of the kids and number of adults/helpers present.

We have several infant/toddler only child cares here. Infant/toddler space is pretty hard to come by in regular FFC so here it would be a great thing.

Average cost of FFC here for a child 2+ is $140 per week. Infants/toddler bring in anywhere from $165-$180 per week.
MarinaVanessa 08:58 AM 11-02-2012
I only do infants and toddlers here too however I have made an exception this year for my nephew that started pre-school and a DCG that I have had for years that started kinder this year.

To have 8 kids and stay within ratio I can keep 2 infants (0-2 yo) 4 toddlers (2-4 yo) and 2 school age kids (one must be in kinder and one must be in a higher grade).
Otherwise I can have 6 kids: 3 infants, 3 toddlers

It's not too bad since I don't have a small infant.
I have a 2 one year olds (one is my son, will be 2 in 9 days)
2 two year olds
1 three year old
1 four year old (preschooler)
1 five year old (kindergartener)
and my seven year old daughter (second grade)

Next year I'll be going back to infant and toddler care and won't accept kids in school anymore. I'm even putting my own DD in an after school program that she's been begging to do.

I love infants and toddler care. It's easier for me and more rewarding. I think school agers are harder to keep occupied, get bored easily and are more expensive to care for (eat more, use more materials etc.). Only 2 months into it and already I'm wishing that I didn't agree to allowing the other 2 school agers to stay.
Country Kids 09:08 AM 11-02-2012
Ours aren't considered SA till 1st grade here.

I just love being able to be outside, take walks, fieldtrips, etc. without diaper bags, strollers, nap schedules, feeding schedules, etc.
EchoMom 09:34 AM 11-02-2012
I am moving more and more toward this. I had 3 babies under age 1 who are all turning one now. And then the rest are 2 year olds so I only have ages 0-3 right now, except for a 4 year old sibling who is perfectly fine and a 5 year old that was a mistake and I'm actively trying to replace because he doesn't fit the group and I want to be a "baby daycare" lol I love having them all closer in age.
slpender 09:45 AM 11-02-2012
I would like to move toward this also. I have 2 girls that are turning 3 I have already agreed to keep them until they turn 4 and then they will move onto preschool. After they leave I also will be doing infant/toddler care only ages 6wks-2 yrs.

For those of you that offer this program how do you explain to the parents that at 3 children must go to preschool?
Heidi 10:14 AM 11-02-2012
Originally Posted by slpender:
I would like to move toward this also. I have 2 girls that are turning 3 I have already agreed to keep them until they turn 4 and then they will move onto preschool. After they leave I also will be doing infant/toddler care only ages 6wks-2 yrs.

For those of you that offer this program how do you explain to the parents that at 3 children must go to preschool?
I'm actually considering partnering with another provider in my area who loves preschoolers, and would love to have some well-behaved ones with well-trained parents.

I haven't talked to her about it yet-still formulating my plans
alaskanmomma 11:02 AM 11-02-2012
I only will take kids infant-Kindergarten. All my toys are geared towards that age group, my kids are that age group, and to be honest.... older kids annoy the heck out of me
MyKzooFamily 11:25 AM 11-02-2012
I am doing the opposite, and ONLY doing ages 2 and up. Babies are a lot of work, and require a lot of patience, especially when you have had a colicy baby, and you have provided care for a colicy baby. I would rather break up fights and deal with tantrums and sassy mouths than deal with a screaming/crying baby all day.

My playroom is also set up for toddler/preschool age, as my son is 3 (turning 4 in the fall). I love teaching toddlers, doing activities and having stations (even though our playroom is not huge), and not having to deal with too many diapers. Potty training is the most stressful thing I will have to deal with.

Baby equipment takes up SO much room (swings, bouncy chairs, high chairs, jumperoo's, etc.) and I just don't have the space for it. The only young one here will be my 7 month old, and I can't wait until she is done with all the big, bulky baby equipment and just wants to run around and get into stuff!
MyKzooFamily 11:26 AM 11-02-2012
I should mention though, that I cap at 4 years old. Older than that, and they talk to much and ask too many questions, and it drives me nuts.
Heidi 11:36 AM 11-02-2012
I am going to see if I can observe the Montessori Infant/Toddler program in Madison next week for a morning. Maybe I'll get some ideas there....

http://www.woodland-montessori.org/w..._programs.html

IF you get a chance, check out their rates! Holy Cow, man!
MyKzooFamily 11:43 AM 11-02-2012
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I am going to see if I can observe the Montessori Infant/Toddler program in Madison next week for a morning. Maybe I'll get some ideas there....

http://www.woodland-montessori.org/w..._programs.html

IF you get a chance, check out their rates! Holy Cow, man!
How do they have children there?! Their rates are INSANE! The going rate here is about $90-$100/week for home daycares, and $150-$175/week for centers.

I can't see anyone around here paying $250/week, PLUS a $45-$60 snack fee, $45 materials fee, $100 deposit, $100 application fee, etc.

I love Montessori, and we will do a lot of it with my home daycare, but I will never get kids at those rates!

Edited to include: I am in the southwest Michigan area.
daycarediva 11:54 AM 11-02-2012
I do the opposite and only take 2-5 (I also regret my two SA daycare kids). I adore this age group and after years of doing it, I just stopped taking infants and when my last little guy got to be 2 I started marketing myself specifically for preschool age.

I know a daycare provider in my area that ONLY does infants and toddlers (we can have two under two but she is UhMAYzing with those two babies) She charges $250/week-high end in our area. Once they turn two, she refers them to me. I have 'taken' three of her former clients! Currently we share a family (infant baby sister goes to her and big brother comes to me)
MyKzooFamily 11:55 AM 11-02-2012
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I do the opposite and only take 2-5 (I also regret my two SA daycare kids). I adore this age group and after years of doing it, I just stopped taking infants and when my last little guy got to be 2 I started marketing myself specifically for preschool age.

I know a daycare provider in my area that ONLY does infants and toddlers (we can have two under two but she is UhMAYzing with those two babies) She charges $250/week-high end in our area. Once they turn two, she refers them to me. I have 'taken' three of her former clients! Currently we share a family (infant baby sister goes to her and big brother comes to me)
That is awesome!
daycarediva 12:04 PM 11-02-2012
Originally Posted by MyKzooFamily:
That is awesome!
I LOVE this arrangement! It is super awesome to know the truth about a kid/family going in (she only refers great clients/kids and knows how many openings I have), to know where the kiddo came from and have the ability to call up the former provider. We also get together for park play dates so she can see 'her' babies 'grown up'.
MarinaVanessa 01:44 PM 11-02-2012
Originally Posted by slpender:

I know that I personally don't tell them because that a choice I leave up to them. They know however that I don't do pre-school here (curriculum) although most of my kiddos do learn the basics here like counting and identifyling numbers 1-20, alphabet etc. Shapes, colors etc. the whole shabang. I just don't do a curriculum. We simply learn through play.

If they choose to send thier child to pre-school I dont mind ... it's their choice and I encourage it. If they decide to keep their child here until they start kinder that's ok too.
EAP 08:41 AM 11-03-2012
I'm doing this, I have 4 under 2 years and a 3.5 year old and the span is not working (3.5 yr old is bored and not getting socialization he needs). So I am changing the scope of my program to be 0-3 (with only one infant enrolled at a time).
Crazy8 08:03 PM 11-03-2012
I do this, wasn't really by choice at first, most parents just tend to put them in a preschool center about age 3 anyway. BUT I have found the few times I have a child over 3 that they just don't fit as well. I have limits on under 1 year old and under 2 year old but its ok since I can only have 5 total anyway. I just work within the limits up to my 5 kids.
Nene 04:02 PM 05-25-2017
Hello can I only have ages 2-4 or 5 in my daycare no infants?
jenboo 04:14 PM 05-25-2017
Originally Posted by Nene:
You can do what ever you want. Just pay attention to the ratios that licensing requires
laundrymom 04:25 PM 05-25-2017
I specialize in birth to kinder.
trix23 06:07 PM 05-25-2017
I specialize in older babies and toddlers. I am not a huge fan of caring for babies.
Nene 08:24 PM 05-25-2017
Ok thanks!! Do u think 800sf will be a nuff room for daycare
lovemydaycare0912 05:14 AM 05-26-2017
Hubby and I do only infant and toddler. We go up to age 3. It works better for us because we charge more, our space works for them, and we don't have huge outdoor space (apartment living) so it works for us.
Nene 06:47 AM 05-26-2017
Do u think 800 square feet be good day care center I'm do up 15 Kids or less ?i wanna do kids ages 2-4 or 5
daycarediva 08:15 AM 05-26-2017
Do u think 800 square feet be good day care center I'm do up 15 Kids or less ?i wanna do kids ages 2-4 or 5
Our state regulation is 35sf of OPEN space (not taken up by furniture) per child. Check with your local registrar.
CityGarden 10:48 AM 05-26-2017
In my area if you are serving children 2-5 you need a solid preschool program not a daycare.

Your business so you can do what you like within the state limits. I do feel the 800sq you speak of is small for fifteen 2-5 year old children, also licensing will not allow for that many children at one time in a home based program in my state.
Laurie 12:20 PM 05-26-2017
I only take infant for my openings. I also only watch four children. I use to do the max @ eight kids, but I'm not needing to do it any more.

My state allows us to have 6 kids.
3 under two and 3 over two or 4 kids Amy age.

So I'm set to take infants until they move on to pre-school at any age. Then I fill their spot with another infant.

It's been such a stress reliever!! Plus I've always loved the babies
flying_babyb 12:33 PM 05-26-2017
Im guessing alot of parents would feel better with a daycare for JUST infants and toddlers. I know my center has a ton of nervious new parents.
Nene 02:56 PM 05-26-2017
How long do background check take ? Did anyone have anything on there record from long time ago that was null processed with no felony or conviction that was throwed out .. And was able get licenses ?
LysesKids 05:21 PM 05-26-2017
I guarantee that isn't enough space for that many kids... my home is 780 sq ft & I have 4 infants up to 18 months; some of that sq footage is my private space (master bedroom) so it doesn't count. Most states require a minimum space of 35-50 sq ft per child INSIDE and sometimes more outside, not including cribs that stay up all the time, bathroom (you get the idea) & then there are licensing rules for sleeping that state 2 ft between nap mats etc etc. Like was said, check licensing regs before jumping in.
Tags:infant care, toddler care
Reply Up