Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>CDA Exam
flying_babyb 02:23 PM 10-07-2018
How hard is it really? Just a little worried. I have been a teacher 10+ years and my current employer is paying for my CDA. Just about finished the portfolio.
hwichlaz 02:31 PM 10-07-2018
is this a new requirement or were you teaching with a different credential?

My understanding is that the CDA is a certificate program and you don't need one if you already have an AA or AS in ECE or CD.
hwichlaz 02:32 PM 10-07-2018
That said, I highly recommend a prep program. From what I'm hearing, it's like taking a final exam.

So you'll need to prep for it.
flying_babyb 03:02 PM 10-07-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
is this a new requirement or were you teaching with a different credential?

My understanding is that the CDA is a certificate program and you don't need one if you already have an AA or AS in ECE or CD.
I have almost completed an associates degree which was fine for teaching in Wisconsin. This is also qualifying for lead teacher in Illinois. I work for a Easter seal/ head start program which requires teachers have a cda or associates degree.
flying_babyb 03:03 PM 10-07-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
That said, I highly recommend a prep program. From what I'm hearing, it's like taking a final exam.

So you'll need to prep for it.
any idea where to find something? I'm not afraid to study. Im currently studying for a police exam too!
Annalee 05:26 PM 10-07-2018
The CDA exam is not difficult at all. In my state, I had to take four college ECE classes to prep for it so I was a little nervous before taking the exam, but when I began the scheduled exam on the computer, I thought to myself, why did I have to take four college classes for this? You will do great. My exam was in 2007 so unless something has changed, it is common sense with ECE. I took the CDA exam for Family Child Care. I also did the portfolio and an on-site observation. I have renewed twice since then but don't plan on renewing anymore since I have my Associate's degree now. Good luck!
Blackcat31 08:23 AM 10-08-2018
Originally Posted by flying_babyb:
I have almost completed an associates degree which was fine for teaching in Wisconsin. This is also qualifying for lead teacher in Illinois. I work for a Easter seal/ head start program which requires teachers have a cda or associates degree.
It would probably be more cost effective and better in the long run for you to finish your associates degree verses doing the CDA. The CDA will be a repeated "light version" of what you've probably already completed for your associates degree.
hwichlaz 10:32 AM 10-08-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
It would probably be more cost effective and better in the long run for you to finish your associates degree verses doing the CDA. The CDA will be a repeated "light version" of what you've probably already completed for your associates degree.
I agree. And there are some decent online self paced programs. I can finish a 3 unit class in about a week if I only have to do one class at a time.
flying_babyb 05:06 PM 10-08-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Yes I know but my boss is paying for the cda
Blackcat31 06:31 AM 10-09-2018
Originally Posted by flying_babyb:
Yes I know but my boss is paying for the cda
I know... but it's a waste of money if you are just shy of actually having an associate degree.

It's silly for Head Start to pay out that kind of money (it's not cheap) for something you don't really need verses something that is more cost effective and eventually useful...

....but it's Head Start so I get it. They just need to spend the money ear marked for professional development one way or another or they might not get the same funding next year.
Cat Herder 06:50 AM 10-09-2018
The every 3-year renewal is very spendy and time-consuming. Not to mention the membership fees to professional organizations and periodicals. I prefer the once and done TCC.

https://www.cdacouncil.org/storage/d...2018_final.pdf

Every 3 years :

Development
• Continued Professional Education
• Membership to a National or Local Early Childhood
Professional Organization $$$
• Minimum 80 Hours Working with Young Children
• Recommendation From ECE Reviewer
Safety • First Aid and Infant and Child CPR Certification

You will need to document completion of one of the following:
o 4.5 CEUs, or
o A three (3) credit hour college course from an accredited college or university, or
o 45 clock hours of training in Early Childhood Education and/or Child
Development.
• All coursework/training must have been completed after the issue date of your most
current CDA Credential.
• Courses/training attended before your previous CDA® will not be accepted to meet
the educational requirement.
• Do not re-take the same courses/training you studied when applying for your original
credential or for previous renewals
Tags:cda, cda - online
Reply Up