Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Has This Ever Happened to You?
Ariana 10:57 AM 11-17-2015
My part time DCB comes in today perfectly fine. We go to the play room and start playing. An hour later it's snack time. We eat go back to play room and he starts crying. Seems lethargic sobbing. I set up his pack and play (this kid is usually extremely tired here and sometimes naps for 4-5 hours a day) put him down for a nap but he continues to cry. I go in and get him he rests his head on my shoulder and sobs quietly. I go to put him down and he won't let me put him down and squeezes tighter into me. I text mom, she is on her way. I sit down in a chair and he rests on me like he is dead. Then he falls asleep on me. mom comes and picks up.

I text mom an hour later to check on him and he is fine. All smiles and giggles, playing away. No issues whatsoever. She put him down for his nap and he didn't even fall asleep right away and was "chatting away quietly" according to mom.

I am so confused about this whole thing. I have NEVER had this happen before. I feel like a dolt for calling mom (although mom was perfectly ok with it) but I was really worried about him. He has never been like this before here. what do you make of this?
Blackcat31 11:26 AM 11-17-2015
Originally Posted by Ariana:
My part time DCB comes in today perfectly fine. We go to the play room and start playing. An hour later it's snack time. We eat go back to play room and he starts crying. Seems lethargic sobbing. I set up his pack and play (this kid is usually extremely tired here and sometimes naps for 4-5 hours a day) put him down for a nap but he continues to cry. I go in and get him he rests his head on my shoulder and sobs quietly. I go to put him down and he won't let me put him down and squeezes tighter into me. I text mom, she is on her way. I sit down in a chair and he rests on me like he is dead. Then he falls asleep on me. mom comes and picks up.

I text mom an hour later to check on him and he is fine. All smiles and giggles, playing away. No issues whatsoever. She put him down for his nap and he didn't even fall asleep right away and was "chatting away quietly" according to mom.

I am so confused about this whole thing. I have NEVER had this happen before. I feel like a dolt for calling mom (although mom was perfectly ok with it) but I was really worried about him. He has never been like this before here. what do you make of this?
Maybe just a blip in his day? Got up a bit too early? An emotional tidal wave passed over...(seems that happens to my littles now and then between 14 months- 2 yrs old)

Maybe he wasn't feeling well at all and then being in the comfort of his own home "fixed" it. Kind of like what it feels like when our day is over and we can put our pj pants back on and exhale.... kwim?

Home ALWAYS makes things better.
Ariana 12:14 PM 11-17-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Maybe just a blip in his day? Got up a bit too early? An emotional tidal wave passed over...(seems that happens to my littles now and then between 14 months- 2 yrs old)

Maybe he wasn't feeling well at all and then being in the comfort of his own home "fixed" it. Kind of like what it feels like when our day is over and we can put our pj pants back on and exhale.... kwim?

Home ALWAYS makes things better.
Yes this makes total sense and it's what I thought as well but having never experienced it before I thought I would ask here!

I think he may just have been missing mom and dad a little more than usual perhaps. I just felt so worried about him I was a bit shocked that it turned out to be just an emotional thing.
nannyde 01:58 PM 11-17-2015
She doped him when they got home?
Ariana 02:40 PM 11-17-2015
Originally Posted by nannyde:
She doped him when they got home?
It is quite possible. Honestly the whole thing just seems so strange. On one hand I agree with BlackCat but at the same time the moms response was just so nonchalant as if she was expecting it. I really felt like I was the only one who was worried about this kid. The mom said "maybe he just needed a good cry". I guess as a mom myself that would worry me. no?

The whole thing is just so bizarre.
Josiegirl 03:17 PM 11-17-2015
I agree about the blip. One day my 3 yo dcg came in perfectly fine but at lunch time she was whining and crying, didn't want anything at all for lunch and was just not acting herself, absolutely acted like she was getting sicker by the minute. She laid down on the couch; I expected her to fall right to sleep. Half an hour later she was back to running around with the kids. It does happen sometimes.
Blackcat31 03:18 PM 11-17-2015
How old is he?

I dunno...on one hand, the dope and drop makes sense but I also know that kids at certain ages/stages have emotional "waves" that happen from time to time that are just out of character.

Maybe mom also noticed something "off" before drop off too but just couldn't put her finger on it...kwim?

Anywho.....I'm trying to take a more positive approach and not just immediately assume it's a dope and drop ...I've found lately being suspicious of my parents on a regular basis is stressful and time consuming. It also makes me feel "icky" to think that way all the time so I would choose to believe it was a one time emotional occurrence and until or unless I had more to go off of, leave it at that.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss.
Shell'skidfarm 03:27 PM 11-17-2015
Does anyone else feel this way? I feel as though I am so taken for granted by my daycare parents. It's always..."we want you to do this, or we want you to do that", but never a "thank you, or" you are doing a great job". They are as selfish as their own children. My parents text me throughout the day wanting to know how their "little darlings" are doing, like I have nothing to do all day but keep them up to speed as to our every movement. Sorry parents, but I am very busy wiping running noses because you bring them in sick, I am too busy wiping bottoms of poo and pee, cleaning up throw up and diarrhea to answer your every text. I am too busy pulling out the knots and awful tangles in your kids hair because they go weeks without seeing a shampooing or a hair brush. I am too busy bathing your child because he hasn't had a bath in who knows how long and I can't stand the stench...(I always tell the parent by the way beforehand), the response I get is...."sure, do whatever you have to do".
I am going way above and beyond, including washing their clothes because the smell makes me nauseous. I am too busy working 12-13 hours a day Mon Thru Fri only with partial weekends off, why partial? because I spend a lot of my weekends shopping for groceries for the new week, cleaning and washing daycare room and bedding, preparing lesson plan for new week, and all this I have been doing for the past 9 years without a sick day, vacation, or personal day off except for holidays of which I'm sure the parents would still bring them if they could. I got out of teaching in a classroom with up to 30 kids because I thought this would be more personal, less work and stress and appreciated more. Boy was I ever wrong. I would so go back to teaching if I could. So what do I get out of this you might ask yourself?....NOTHING! No Birthday Card, or Christmas Card, Daycare Appreciation Day in May....not even a thank you, not even a cup of coffee once a year for pete's sake, but yet want me to do all that I do without a bit of recognition. This is so horrible and I am just about at my wits end. Kids are spoiled, loud, bad mannered, manipulative and outright nasty because this is what the parents have taught them and want me to deal with it for 10-11 hours a day. I can't be the only one this is happening to, is anyone else feeling this. I get sick kids coming in nd have to tend to them, when I get sick I still face them at the door and no one ever says "how are you today". Once I got very sick from a DCG and was quarantined for an entire week, I caught a pneumonia and when I reopened with Doctor's approval, to my surprise the parents of the child that got me sick gave me a two week's notice and claimed that they needed a place where the Daycare Provider would be dependable. Are you kidding me? this is what I got after YOUR child got me sick?? I am so tired of this, and I have no support from no one to top it off not even my husband. You can only know my frustration. Thank you for letting me vent here and would love to hear some feedback.
Josiegirl 03:51 PM 11-17-2015
Shell, sounds like you desperately need new families, time off, or a different job. Sounds like major burn-out to me, very easy to have with all the problems you mentioned.
Michael 03:57 PM 11-17-2015
I am wondering if its possible he is allergic to something he ate at snack time.
Ariana 06:25 PM 11-17-2015
Originally Posted by Michael:
I am wondering if its possible he is allergic to something he ate at snack time.
This is another thing I thought as well! (I have thought of all the possibilities!!) but what we had, he has eaten it before on numerous occasions. I thought it odd that mom also didn't ask me what he ate since this happened right after snack time.

I am beginning to think that he is like this at home every so often and this might be why she was so nonchalant about it.

Originally Posted by :
Anywho.....I'm trying to take a more positive approach and not just immediately assume it's a dope and drop ...I've found lately being suspicious of my parents on a regular basis is stressful and time consuming. It also makes me feel "icky" to think that way all the time so I would choose to believe it was a one time emotional occurrence and until or unless I had more to go off of, leave it at that.
I know what you mean! This is what I am going to do but at the same time I kind of want to bounce ideas off people to see if I can get a clearer picture of what happened today. I still feel quite shocked about it!!
Ariana 06:31 PM 11-17-2015
Originally Posted by Shell'skidfarm:
Does anyone else feel this way? I feel as though I am so taken for granted by my daycare parents. It's always..."we want you to do this, or we want you to do that", but never a "thank you, or" you are doing a great job". They are as selfish as their own children. My parents text me throughout the day wanting to know how their "little darlings" are doing, like I have nothing to do all day but keep them up to speed as to our every movement. Sorry parents, but I am very busy wiping running noses because you bring them in sick, I am too busy wiping bottoms of poo and pee, cleaning up throw up and diarrhea to answer your every text. I am too busy pulling out the knots and awful tangles in your kids hair because they go weeks without seeing a shampooing or a hair brush. I am too busy bathing your child because he hasn't had a bath in who knows how long and I can't stand the stench...(I always tell the parent by the way beforehand), the response I get is...."sure, do whatever you have to do".
I am going way above and beyond, including washing their clothes because the smell makes me nauseous. I am too busy working 12-13 hours a day Mon Thru Fri only with partial weekends off, why partial? because I spend a lot of my weekends shopping for groceries for the new week, cleaning and washing daycare room and bedding, preparing lesson plan for new week, and all this I have been doing for the past 9 years without a sick day, vacation, or personal day off except for holidays of which I'm sure the parents would still bring them if they could. I got out of teaching in a classroom with up to 30 kids because I thought this would be more personal, less work and stress and appreciated more. Boy was I ever wrong. I would so go back to teaching if I could. So what do I get out of this you might ask yourself?....NOTHING! No Birthday Card, or Christmas Card, Daycare Appreciation Day in May....not even a thank you, not even a cup of coffee once a year for pete's sake, but yet want me to do all that I do without a bit of recognition. This is so horrible and I am just about at my wits end. Kids are spoiled, loud, bad mannered, manipulative and outright nasty because this is what the parents have taught them and want me to deal with it for 10-11 hours a day. I can't be the only one this is happening to, is anyone else feeling this. I get sick kids coming in nd have to tend to them, when I get sick I still face them at the door and no one ever says "how are you today". Once I got very sick from a DCG and was quarantined for an entire week, I caught a pneumonia and when I reopened with Doctor's approval, to my surprise the parents of the child that got me sick gave me a two week's notice and claimed that they needed a place where the Daycare Provider would be dependable. Are you kidding me? this is what I got after YOUR child got me sick?? I am so tired of this, and I have no support from no one to top it off not even my husband. You can only know my frustration. Thank you for letting me vent here and would love to hear some feedback.
Shell maybe you should start your own thread so you get more responses. I know a lot of how you feel and a lot of it comes from you allowing this type of treatment and not having strict boundaries and guidelines for how you want to run your business. You seem to be doing a lot of things you don't want to do to get recognition you will never ever get. The best thing is to make your business all about you and what works for YOU. no one else.

-stop taking care of sick kids and make a strict sickness policy
-stop taking care of kids for 10-11 hours a day by reducing your hours OR charging more for care that goes over 8 hours per day
-Don't sign on smelly kids or get rid of the ones that don't follow hygiene guidelines.

Basically get a good contract and start standing up for yourself
KidGrind 05:33 AM 11-18-2015
Originally Posted by Michael:
My thoughts too.

I use to cry after I ate something I lethargic. Also I had a child with an undiagnosed allergy. He was lethargic after a meal. I contacted mother for immediate pick up.
spedmommy4 08:09 AM 11-18-2015
I would think an allergic reaction would come with some kind of skin reaction? I'm allergic to everything. :-( My kids were when they were little too and their reactions included stomach or skin symptoms.

I did have this exact same scenario with a two year old girl that attends my am program. She acted like she had a fever but did not. The little girl is usually talkative and cheerful but she just laid on the bean bag chair until her mom arrived. (About an hour after pick up)

The mom left brother and when she came back at noon the little girl looked noticably better. The mom said she hadn't done anything other than let her rest and give her some chicken soup.

The mom and I suspected that maybe she just didn't sleep well. In your case, it could be the little one didn't sleep well, was having a moody day, or was just a little under the weather. In any case, it was good that you called dcm.
Cat Herder 08:32 AM 11-18-2015
My first two thoughts were Tylenol and lactose intolerance cramps/blahs (not from experience or anything, eats cream cheese against advice, snicker).

My third was this kid may one day win an academy award. Score one kiddo.

Perhaps Grams/Gramps have accidently trained him well?
KIDZRMYBIZ 10:15 AM 11-18-2015
To me it sounds like something scared him, especially since it was only temporary. And you may never figure out what it is. Kids can get the bejeezus scared out of them by a noise, a shadow, Chicken Dance Elmo...anything!
Ariana 11:23 AM 11-18-2015
Today he came in fine but then about a half an hour in started with the same sobbing and laying his head on the train table. He is usually extremely lethargic on his first day here (he's only here 2 days a week). Anyway I ignored it and he eventually stopped. He also started crying when I put him down for nap which he NEVER does either.

Something is definitely up with him but talking to mom feels so useless because she is just an confused as I am and he's apparently not doing this at home. If you were to compare what mom says and what I observe here in care in terms of all of his behavior it would be as if we are talking about two different children. It is frustrating but what can you do?!
Play Care 11:29 AM 11-18-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
How old is he?

I dunno...on one hand, the dope and drop makes sense but I also know that kids at certain ages/stages have emotional "waves" that happen from time to time that are just out of character.

Maybe mom also noticed something "off" before drop off too but just couldn't put her finger on it...kwim?

Sometimes ignorance is bliss.
This.
I've had parents drop off and say the child seemed a bit off that AM, but no fevers, etc. And generally the child is fine the rest of the day.

I can only recall one or two times that the "off" behavior resulted in a call for pick up. It's hard to know so I try to come from a place where I don't automatically think the parent isn't trying to hose me - after all they are the ones that will have to scramble for day care if I catch what the kid has
Ariana 07:04 AM 11-19-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
This.
I've had parents drop off and say the child seemed a bit off that AM, but no fevers, etc. And generally the child is fine the rest of the day.

I can only recall one or two times that the "off" behavior resulted in a call for pick up. It's hard to know so I try to come from a place where I don't automatically think the parent isn't trying to hose me - after all they are the ones that will have to scramble for day care if I catch what the kid has
I have the opposite situation though. Mom doesn't say a word and then I am left to wonder what the heck is going on. I am all for giving parents the benefit of the doubt but when there is absolutely no correlation between behavior here and at home then something is missing.
KIDZRMYBIZ 07:57 AM 11-19-2015
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Today he came in fine but then about a half an hour in started with the same sobbing and laying his head on the train table. He is usually extremely lethargic on his first day here (he's only here 2 days a week). Anyway I ignored it and he eventually stopped. He also started crying when I put him down for nap which he NEVER does either.

Something is definitely up with him but talking to mom feels so useless because she is just an confused as I am and he's apparently not doing this at home. If you were to compare what mom says and what I observe here in care in terms of all of his behavior it would be as if we are talking about two different children. It is frustrating but what can you do?!
How old is he? If he only goes to DC 2 days a week, he could very well just be a little "homesick." Some people are just that way, and for kids, it is usually just a phase that passes with time. Poor little guy. Always hate to see little ones unhappy.
Tags:allergies, bipolar, clingy, imaginative play, lethargic
Reply Up