Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Child Constantly Runs
WImom 09:33 AM 03-22-2011
any tips? This child never walks even when I say 'use walking feet" she will walk for a few steps and then run.

I finally gave her a 'time out' (had her sit at the table for a few minutes because I was tired of telling her to walk)

Yes, we do go outside daily and/or have music time where I give her time to run around.
marniewon 09:42 AM 03-22-2011
I have one of those too. No permanent solutions, but instead of time out, I make him "drop". If he's running and he's been warned once, he has to drop where he is and sit for a few minutes. It's not a time out, he can play with whatever toy is in his hand or he can reach from his spot on the floor, but gives him a time to think.
TBird 09:49 AM 03-22-2011
I have a runner too...a HIT HIS HEAD and runner at that!!! I think development experts tell you to arrange the room so it's not conducive to running. Like maybe a tunnel set up in your open area??? I really like for my kids to have an uncluttered open area but they think of it more as the Indy 500.
daycare 10:11 AM 03-22-2011
this is how I curred my runner... Every time I would catch him running I would say "stop freeze and sit" I would then explain again....":where are we alllowed to run?" "OUTSIDE" I would then require him to crawl every where he went in the house for about 15 minutes. He was not allowed to use his feet, since he could not control them. He was 4.5.

After 15 min, we would talk again and then he would be free to roam about on his way. If he ran again, then we would repeat the steps above...
WImom 10:30 AM 03-22-2011
I had to laugh a little when I read to change set up. In the past I tried putting more things out in the open so their wasn't as much open space. She just thought that was great and would do circles around it (and of course so did all the other kids). I don't have too much open space as it is which is what the problem is she's always running into other kids.

I think I will try the stop and drop technique. Thanks!
SimpleMom 10:46 AM 03-22-2011
structure helps my runner time-out and drop i've tried and it works for the time out anjd the drop setting up the room so that running is more difficult and using more structure (including structured and free *run* time) has helped the most.
Reply Up