Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Vinegar Cleaning - Your Thoughts
blessedmess8 09:30 AM 09-16-2011
I'm all for being natural. I actually think having a lot of chemicals around the kids is bad. However, I just can't bring myself to trust vinegar. For cleaning and deodorizing, sure! But, not for disinfecting. Some people do, though! I haven't found any sound scientific research on the disinfecting properties of vinegar yet. That's not to say it is not out there; I just haven't found it. I just disinfected our room with vinegar AND steam. I feel pretty good about the combination of the two. And I love that, although it smells like Easter in here, the fumes are not harmul to the kids!

Do any of you actually use vinegar as a disinfectant? Or some other natural product that is proven to disinfect? I would love to, I just want to know FOR SURE that I am killing all the nasty germs!
littlemommy 09:36 AM 09-16-2011
I use vinegar to clean a lot of things around the house. It's great for getting stains out of carpets! I also use it for cleaning toys, windows, and dusting. Right now I have a bowl of apple cider vinegar with dish soap on the counter to attract gnats.

Yesterday I read an article that talked about triclosin being linked to thyroid problems. I know people have been urging the FDA to ban that from antibacterial soaps, due to its harmful effects on humans and the environment. I joked to DH that maybe I should wash my hands with vinegar. haha!
Country Kids 09:38 AM 09-16-2011
For carpet stains do you use diluted vinegar or just strait. Do you put it right on the stain and will it take the color out?
blessedmess8 09:40 AM 09-16-2011
Originally Posted by littlemommy:
I use vinegar to clean a lot of things around the house. It's great for getting stains out of carpets! I also use it for cleaning toys, windows, and dusting. Right now I have a bowl of apple cider vinegar with dish soap on the counter to attract gnats.

Yesterday I read an article that talked about triclosin being linked to thyroid problems. I know people have been urging the FDA to ban that from antibacterial soaps, due to its harmful effects on humans and the environment. I joked to DH that maybe I should wash my hands with vinegar. haha!
I recently switched from antibacterial soap to just plain hand soap.
youretooloud 09:48 AM 09-16-2011
I use regular soap, baking soda, vinegar, and rubbing alcohol and peroxide. I never ever clean with bleach, or cleansers at all. I keep bleach in the house, but this last one has been here over six years.

http://www.maillardvillemanor.com/search/label/Cleaning
laundrymom 10:05 AM 09-16-2011
ok, this site in this link has had my occupied ALL naptime!!!! Thanks for sharing!

Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I use regular soap, baking soda, vinegar, and rubbing alcohol and peroxide. I never ever clean with bleach, or cleansers at all. I keep bleach in the house, but this last one has been here over six years.

countrymom 10:19 AM 09-16-2011
what a good site. The only thing is that I get cleaners so cheap that I just buy them (I price match and then coupon them) I'm not keen on bleach and acually find it over powering in smell. I just find vinegar stinks, its ok to use but I like nice smelling in my house.
MarinaVanessa 10:23 AM 09-16-2011
I use vinegar also but I still use bleach (water/bleach solution) to disinfect. It's the only thing that my local licensing approves anyway so even if I didn't want to use it i'd still have to. Everything else I just make myself.
blessedmess8 10:31 AM 09-16-2011

Thanks for the link! Can you tell me about your cleaning routines?
TBird 10:55 AM 09-16-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I use vinegar also but I still use bleach (water/bleach solution) to disinfect. It's the only thing that my local licensing approves anyway so even if I didn't want to use it i'd still have to. Everything else I just make myself.
We are mandated to use the bleach/water solution too, which is fine with me because I'm a bleach lovin' kind of gal.
wdmmom 10:55 AM 09-16-2011
I can't stand the smell of vinegar and the thought of steam just doesn't make me comfortable.

I'm a Chlorox and Lysol girl.

Chlorox now makes Chlorox Anywhere. It's a cleaner as good as bleach minus the harsh smell. It's a great product!
MsMe 10:58 AM 09-16-2011
a bowl of vinager sitting on the counter will clear up even the worst smells.

I always leave a cup out after I cook bacon!!! It also helped the musty smell from my wet basement in the Spring.
laundrymom 11:07 AM 09-16-2011
Originally Posted by TBird:
We are mandated to use the bleach/water solution too, which is fine with me because I'm a bleach lovin' kind of gal.
I'm allergic, I glove up with bleach and wear a mask. I use q water.
My Daycare 11:53 AM 09-16-2011

Great website!

Yes, I use vinegar for disinfecting to a certain degree.

Does anyone know anything about using Vinegar & Peroxide together? Not really together, but within close proximity to each other. I heard long ago that they make toxic fumes. I have been trying to prove myself wrong for a while now, but I can't find anything about it. I would love to start using Peroxide again for certain things.
countrymom 12:20 PM 09-16-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
I can't stand the smell of vinegar and the thought of steam just doesn't make me comfortable.

I'm a Chlorox and Lysol girl.

Chlorox now makes Chlorox Anywhere. It's a cleaner as good as bleach minus the harsh smell. It's a great product!
love that product, and its great for highchairs.
blessedmess8 01:33 PM 09-16-2011
We are required to use a bleach solution, too, for the changing table. I've read baaad stuff about chlorine bleach, though. The vinegar does smell bad, but ironically it deodorizes better than anything! The smell goes away. Honestly, I LOVE the smell of commercial cleaning products, but I know they aren't good for the kids - especially the ones with respiratory problems. I LOVE the steam cleaner! OMG! It is a dream come true! I.E. I steamed the couch in my daycare room. How else do you kill the lil germies on furniture?? Anyway. I don't want to debate about which is better - I use bleach, too. I just wondered if anyone has actual info or research on the disinfectant properties of vinegar.
sharlan 01:40 PM 09-16-2011
I think I would stick with bleach.

"Vinegar is a great cleaner, but we didn’t know how well it could kill germs. We asked germ guru Charles Gerba, PhD, a microbiologist at the University of Arizona, Tucson. He has done field studies on household germs.

Dr. Gerba said that vinegar is useful as a cleaner and has some antimicrobial properties, but it is not considered a sanitizer or disinfectant. For disinfecting, dilute bleach is still best.'
blessedmess8 01:42 PM 09-16-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I think I would stick with bleach.

"Vinegar is a great cleaner, but we didn’t know how well it could kill germs. We asked germ guru Charles Gerba, PhD, a microbiologist at the University of Arizona, Tucson. He has done field studies on household germs.

Dr. Gerba said that vinegar is useful as a cleaner and has some antimicrobial properties, but it is not considered a sanitizer or disinfectant. For disinfecting, dilute bleach is still best.'
Well, thanks, Sharlan! Exactly what I was looking for! Can I ask where you got that info?
sharlan 01:56 PM 09-16-2011
http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2008/...n-vinegar-dis/
LittleD 06:57 AM 09-17-2011
Originally Posted by My Daycare:
Great website!

Does anyone know anything about using Vinegar & Peroxide together? Not really together, but within close proximity to each other. I heard long ago that they make toxic fumes. I have been trying to prove myself wrong for a while now, but I can't find anything about it. I would love to start using Peroxide again for certain things.
Last year I looked into this, and using peroxide and bleach together was better at disinfecting then vinegar alone. The article said it is a disinfectant. Now as to where the article is...I don't know. I ran out of vinegar and went back to bleach.
Here is a website for different uses for cleaning/deodorizing with vinegar:
http://www.apple-cider-vinegar-benef...h-vinegar.html

Here is another website who quotes"University tests show that this technique killed more potentially lethal bacteria, including Salmonella, Shigella, and even E. coli, than chlorine bleach or any commercially available kitchen cleaner."
http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/chri...de_vinegar.htm
Unregistered 08:38 PM 09-17-2011
I clean with soap, water, baking soda and vinegar or use something like a microfiber cloth or steam. Do you guys use cleansers or bleach on your silverware or cutting boards? This would be similar to using them on items that a child may put in his or her mouth.
sahm2three 12:33 PM 09-18-2011
Originally Posted by blessedmess8:
I'm all for being natural. I actually think having a lot of chemicals around the kids is bad. However, I just can't bring myself to trust vinegar. For cleaning and deodorizing, sure! But, not for disinfecting. Some people do, though! I haven't found any sound scientific research on the disinfecting properties of vinegar yet. That's not to say it is not out there; I just haven't found it. I just disinfected our room with vinegar AND steam. I feel pretty good about the combination of the two. And I love that, although it smells like Easter in here, the fumes are not harmul to the kids!

Do any of you actually use vinegar as a disinfectant? Or some other natural product that is proven to disinfect? I would love to, I just want to know FOR SURE that I am killing all the nasty germs!
I keep no toxic cleaners in my house. This is what I use:
http://www.secretofthieves.com/thieves-cleaner.cfm

It smells awesome, kind of cinamonny. I do use a lot of vineager too, to soak toys in and etc.
blessedmess8 08:22 AM 09-19-2011
Originally Posted by My Daycare:
Great website!

From what I'm reading from links posted above: DO NOT mix peroxide and vinegar in one spray bottle. However, spraying with vinegar, then spraying with peroxide and rinsing has been found to disinfect better than chlorine bleach! Good to lnow! Thanks for the links!!!
littlemommy 09:39 AM 09-19-2011
If you use vinegar for cleaning and don't like the smell, you can add a few drops of tea tree oil. Makes it smell better, and tea tree oil is also a antiseptic.
blessedmess8 10:12 AM 09-19-2011
Originally Posted by littlemommy:
If you use vinegar for cleaning and don't like the smell, you can add a few drops of tea tree oil. Makes it smell better, and tea tree oil is also a antiseptic.
Thanks!! I've used tea tree oil in the past, but not WITH vinegar. Good idea!
Tags:cleaning, cleaning - vinegar, deodorizers, vineagr, vinegar
Reply Up