Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Start To Make Dinner...
Jack Sprat 01:04 PM 08-27-2013
while you have daycare kids? I have been wondering this and haven't done so yet. But, since school has started and last kiddo leaves at 5:15 I would like to. Of course the child would be in the kitchen or dining room with me and would probably "help". Just wondering how many start with kids still there.
kathiemarie 01:12 PM 08-27-2013
When my own kids were younger I did. I would cut up the veggies, put the meat in the oven etc. but now that I only have one at home and she is in high school we eat later so I don't.
sharlan 01:12 PM 08-27-2013
Yes, I do. I start prepping dinner at 5:15 and my last two don't leave until 5:45. I like to have dinner as soon as they leave.
Childminder 01:14 PM 08-27-2013
Every day. But I'm open till midnite. Kid help. Set table, prep food or homework or art work.
mom2many 01:15 PM 08-27-2013
I almost always have dinner started. My last dcg leaves at 6 and we eat shortly after that unless I'm going to the gym after work and plan to eat after I get home.
NeedaVaca 01:19 PM 08-27-2013
As much as I can! If it's a soup/chili and cooks a long time I will actually make it during nap time. Otherwise I try to prep when they are coloring at the table waiting on pick ups. If it's a roast/casserole or something I can put it in the oven at that time. It's not always possible but I try! I get a lot of comments about how good the house smells and parents wanting recipes!
Play Care 01:28 PM 08-27-2013
Originally Posted by Lil Monkey:
while you have daycare kids? I have been wondering this and haven't done so yet. But, since school has started and last kiddo leaves at 5:15 I would like to. Of course the child would be in the kitchen or dining room with me and would probably "help". Just wondering how many start with kids still there.
Yes I do. I meal plan so I always know ahead of time what we are having. I do try to plan easier to prepare meals for weeknights so all I have to do is put something together and pop it in the oven or crockpot.
mema 02:07 PM 08-27-2013
Depends on the day, what's going on after close, and what we are having. Today we are having Italian chicken, so I put it all together in the crock pot at lunch time.

When ds plays baseball, we have to leave immediately after pick up and aren't home until after 8, so mine usually eat around 430 and I just take the kids outside or out of the area. Dance and soccer nights practice is usually sometime between 530-6, so i do start supper so we can eat right away.

I give the kids an activity at the table, just like when making lunch. I've had many parents come in saying, mmmm, that smells great! They don't seem to mind. They know whatever is smelling so yummy will be in their kids tummy the next day.
spud912 02:11 PM 08-27-2013
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
As much as I can! If it's a soup/chili and cooks a long time I will actually make it during nap time. Otherwise I try to prep when they are coloring at the table waiting on pick ups. If it's a roast/casserole or something I can put it in the oven at that time. It's not always possible but I try! I get a lot of comments about how good the house smells and parents wanting recipes!
Ditto! We eat usually when the last kid is picked up, sometimes as early as 5/5:15 ! I like it because it frees up the evening to do other things with the family instead of spending half of it cooking and cleaning.
Unregistered 02:19 PM 08-27-2013
I do here. I sit the kids at the kitchen table with a book (each) though. I close at 5:30, we usually don't actually eat until around 7 but I like to prepare early. It's a double positive here, supper gets prepped and daycare kids get some chill out time before pick up.
(Except if I have a baby with me, the baby always sits in the highchair near me, just hanging out watching.)
e.j. 02:30 PM 08-27-2013
Unless I'm making something in the crockpot, I wait until everyone leaves to cook dinner. Even if I'm using the crock, I try to have everything cut up and ready so I can just throw it in the crock quickly before the dc kids arrive in the morning. I've never felt comfortable making dinner with dc parents coming and going. I don't want them thinking I'm not giving my full attention to their kids. (Not a comment on anyone who does cook dinner. Just my own opinion and the reason why I don't generally cook dinner until after closing.)
Maria2013 03:06 PM 08-27-2013
I have to when I work late, otherwise I wait till all kids are gone
Jack Sprat 03:41 PM 08-27-2013
Thanks everyone! We are huge crockpot fans and huge fans of eating early. Our kids are in bed by 7:45 and 8:30 so its nice to have dinner started and almost ready to serve by 5:30.
Lyss 04:59 PM 08-27-2013
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Yes, I do. I start prepping dinner at 5:15 and my last two don't leave until 5:45. I like to have dinner as soon as they leave.
This is me as well. My last 3 get picked up between 530 and 545, DH is home at 545/6ish and we eat. I clean up and change DCKs at 5 then the sit down for one group activity around 515, like blocks or coloring, while I prep dinner and get it started. Its never anything fancy. one DCM always comments that it smells so good (although smell can be misleading ) and she wants to stay for dinner but no one's ever had an issue with it.

I really need to start using the crockpot more, I always mean to but rarely do
Familycare71 05:19 PM 08-27-2013
I don't but may start! It's a good idea having everyone coloring or doing an activity that can be easily left and I would love to have dinner earlier!!
My new school year resolution: have menus planned and dinner ready by 6!
LoraJenkins 08:51 PM 08-27-2013
I do everyday. My last child doesn't get picked up until 6:15 so, if I waited it would be 8pm before dinner was done. I sit the littles at the table with pencils, crayons, paint daubers, markers and paper to keep them busy as I cook or we may practice writing our names during that time. Once or twice a week I make a crock pot meal that I start during lunch or nap. The parents ask everyday what's for dinner and if they ask I shared recipies.
LK5kids 05:11 AM 08-28-2013
I used to. My kids are now grown. It worked great!
JenNJ 05:29 AM 08-28-2013
A lot of the time. I generally prep it during nap so that alll I need to do at 5 is toss it in the over or on the stove.
daycarediva 05:36 AM 08-28-2013
3-4 nights a week I make a casserole, or put something in the crock pot and have to do nothing, the other 1-2 nights I start as soon as I have 1-2 kids left. I set them up at the dining table with a little snack and an activity and prep dinner. Dcp's are always joking that I should charge and give out dinners to dcf's. I actually looked into it, and it's too much hassle for a food license.
jenn 06:03 AM 08-28-2013
Sometimes. I will start crock pot meals at lunch or nap time. If I am making something that requires a long bake time, I will try to get it in the oven before 5:00.
Play Care 09:44 AM 08-28-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
I don't but may start! It's a good idea having everyone coloring or doing an activity that can be easily left and I would love to have dinner earlier!!
My new school year resolution: have menus planned and dinner ready by 6!
For the most part I'm not actually "cooking" since I typically know what I'm having beforehand and do all the prep during nap time. But even when I do need to do some minor prep at say 4:30, I see it as no different then prepping breakfast or lunch. Every job has its perks, IMO, and one of mine is being able to have dinner on the table as soon as the work day is over.
melilley 09:47 AM 08-28-2013
Originally Posted by e.j.:
Unless I'm making something in the crockpot, I wait until everyone leaves to cook dinner. Even if I'm using the crock, I try to have everything cut up and ready so I can just throw it in the crock quickly before the dc kids arrive in the morning. I've never felt comfortable making dinner with dc parents coming and going. I don't want them thinking I'm not giving my full attention to their kids. (Not a comment on anyone who does cook dinner. Just my own opinion and the reason why I don't generally cook dinner until after closing.)
Same here! Nothing against anyone who does, I am just not comfortable doing it.
melilley 09:53 AM 08-28-2013
I don't (unless it's a crock pot meal) just because I would feel funny cooking dinner while I have kids in my care and while parents are picking up. Plus my kids are usually gone by 5:30 and that's a perfect time for me to start cooking and for us to eat. And during the school year, by the time my dd gets home from school and does her homework and chores, it's about that time anyways. Also in the summer, we grill almost everyday and I wouldn't feel comfortable having the grill going with the kids out there.

But if it was a crock pot meal, I would probably start it in the morning or maybe at snack time when the kids are eating their snack.
DaisyMamma 10:28 AM 08-28-2013
Absolutely.
My kids are young. Until this year my last Dck left @ 6:00! So not only was dinner started, but it was finished and ready to eat at 6:00!
By 6:00 my kids were famished and super.cranky. I'm glad I close at 5:00 now, but i will still start dinner around 4:45
Tags:dinner
Reply Up