Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Issue In Licensing Inspection- Look Elsewhere?
Unregistered 09:49 AM 10-29-2013
My child attended a small daycare for a few months as an infant and I moved her to a larger center after her first birthday because I felt like she needed more room- and honestly I was suckered by marketing. She's been at the large center for about a year and was doing well, but the quality has really declined and I don't feel like I'm getting what I'm paying for any more. Plus, the last licensing inspection did not go well at all. I'm thinking about putting her back in the old daycare. It's much smaller, but is run by the owner and all the teachers have been there for a very long time- just seems like a nicer, family oriented atmosphere as oposed to the large corporate center. It's also a 3 star while the large center is only 1. Issue is that I pulled up their licensing and I'm concerned. Some stuff was simple paperwork issues that are fixable, but there was a complaint in the summer about an altercation between a teacher and a parent. Would this be enough to look elswhere? Should I bring it up? I toured again yesterday and my gut feeling was that I'd be happier, it's less expensive, and closer to home. Am I just being a too nervous parent?
lovemykidstoo 09:56 AM 10-29-2013
I don't think that you can be too careful as a parent. This is your child. Nothing is more important. I would say go with your intuition, however, a run in between parent and teacher could be anything. As long as it wasn't something where charges were brought of course. I know that sometimes I would like to get into it with a parent or two over the 12 almost 13 years that I've been watching kids, but have always bit my tongue.
Unregistered 10:06 AM 10-29-2013
It doesn't seem to be physical, it seems to have been a verbal argument based on the way the complaint is written up. Still not okay...

Why is picking daycare so hard! I'm continuously second guessing myself. I'm afraid that I'll put her somewhere horrible. I know that an inspection doesn't tell the whole picture. I've been trying to find reviews online- can't find anything negative so at least that is good. When she was there before I only had one issue and they jumped to fix it- got the director's home number in case anything ever happened again (I was sent home with the wrong bottle and no one could figure out if she had actually drank out of it, turned out she hadn't). The whole process is very frustrating- wish I could just stay home.
lovemykidstoo 10:12 AM 10-29-2013
Picking daycare is hard. Luckily, when our son was in daycare a friend of ours recommended a small in-home daycare that they went to so it was relatively easy. I really wouldn't be concerned with an argument because you don't know who started it, how loud it was if at all, what the situation was. I agree, it shouldn't have happened, but you just don't know all the details so it's hard to say. I would be more concerned with looking for violations regarding safety, ratios, discipline, cleanliness etc.
Unregistered 10:18 AM 10-29-2013
thank you! That's what I needed to hear!
Heidi 11:06 AM 10-29-2013
Continuity is important to a young child. Constantly changing caregivers is not a good thing. This is something that happens quite often in corporate centers, though, so either way, it's going to happen.

I would make a decision, follow through, and then stick to it. Consider what you want for her when she's 3 or 4. If you decide to move her, try to make this her last change.

Best wishes with your decision!
Unregistered 11:09 AM 10-29-2013
I know, that's why I'm so nervous about moving. I don't want to move her and in a few months realize I've made the wrong decision. I'm moving her because of the issue of continuity and structure- I think she's had about 6 teachers and 2 directors this year. They just can't keep their staff and I never know who's going to be in her room when I drop her off. All of her little friends have left too. When I visited her original center yesterday all of the same teachers and old kids were there- it was so nice.
Heidi 11:15 AM 10-29-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I know, that's why I'm so nervous about moving. I don't want to move her and in a few months realize I've made the wrong decision. I'm moving her because of the issue of continuity and structure- I think she's had about 6 teachers and 2 directors this year. They just can't keep their staff and I never know who's going to be in her room when I drop her off. All of her little friends have left too. When I visited her original center yesterday all of the same teachers and old kids were there- it was so nice.
Then, that's where I'd go. Physical space is way less important than loving interactions, responsive caregivers, and lots of opportunities to play.
lovemykidstoo 11:25 AM 10-29-2013
If she has that many changes in her caregivers and friends then I would definitely move her to a place that it is more stable. That is so very important in a young childs life.
nannyde 03:10 PM 10-30-2013
Daycare centers have a high turnover because the pay is low and the work is hard. It takes little more than a beating heart to get the job. Each center staff slot turns over an average of four times per year. Your description is spot on for average.

Most centers allow a twelve hour day so the kids who are using most of those hours are very difficult to care for. Stress is high for all involved so everyone burns out quickly.
Unregistered 11:25 AM 11-01-2013
Gave notice and had a teacher pull me aside today and tell me I'm making a really good decision. Made me feel good and bad at the same time. She said that she thinks my little one will do much better in a small group and will get more attention.
Lavender 06:12 AM 11-02-2013
I work at a small private center with many teachers (and kids) who have been there since it opened. We are competing against 2 large chains in the area, one of which comes across to prospective parents as quite "fancy." They seem so great, but when you look at their inspections you see many repetitive instances of out of ratio ect. We have teachers at our center who have fled from there and they all say the same thing. They are always out of ratio (badly so) and the center might be accredited, but it really only is doing things the right way when the accreditor is watching.

When I was looking for a job I knew I wanted a small private center. If I were a parent I would only use a small private one or an in-home one.
Unregistered 11:41 AM 11-02-2013
That's funny- the large center was so "fancy" and I feel like I was paying for the name. I really disliked the in home I looked at when I was pregnant, but now realize maybe it was just that particular one. Oh well, you live you learn. She doesn't seem too damaged, yet.
daycarediva 10:33 AM 11-04-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Continuity is important to a young child. Constantly changing caregivers is not a good thing. This is something that happens quite often in corporate centers, though, so either way, it's going to happen.

I would make a decision, follow through, and then stick to it. Consider what you want for her when she's 3 or 4. If you decide to move her, try to make this her last change.

Best wishes with your decision!
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Then, that's where I'd go. Physical space is way less important than loving interactions, responsive caregivers, and lots of opportunities to play.

Gave notice and had a teacher pull me aside today and tell me I'm making a really good decision. Made me feel good and bad at the same time. She said that she thinks my little one will do much better in a small group and will get more attention.
If a staff member tells you that, you KNOW it's for the best. I hope you find someplace with a reliable caregiver that will get to know and love your daughter and give her the time and attention she needs!
Tags:inspection
Reply Up