Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hiring an Assistant...
NoMoreJuice! 03:40 PM 05-07-2014
Well, as I mentioned in a previous post, the hubs was going to be my second provider at my daycare. After three weeks of this, he has decided it is not his cup of tea (can you blame him? Sometimes this job stinks). I think it's just being confined to the house or the nearby park, or the monotony of the routine.

Anyway. I have already enrolled extra kids, so when he goes back to work, I will be left with too many kids for my capacity table. I have decided to hire an assistant.

My questions for those experienced with hiring, training, and maintaining an employee:

1. How do you interview? The first interview I conducted I felt I treated as a daycare parent interview, where I showed them all around and told them about the program. I thought I would just get a good vibe from a nice person that I thought I could work with, but I want to get more detailed.

2. What are some very specific questions you feel it is important to ask a potential hire?

3. How strict are you with tardiness, etc? Do you have an employee handbook that you follow? Is it difficult to be a "boss" and how do you maintain your employer-employee relationship?

4. Is $8.50 reasonable to pay them, followed by a 6 month $.50 raise?

5. Any other super important things or sage advice/wisdom you can share with me?

Thank you all!!
daycare 03:45 PM 05-07-2014
have you read nannyde article on this, I think its on the front page
daycarediva 04:46 PM 05-07-2014
I am advertising for help now. I ask for a resume emailed me to, and at least SOME non parenting related child care experience.

I called local centers and asked them their average employee hourly rate---around 8-9. I am going to pay around 10.

I will have a small employee handbook, tardiness and calling off will NOT be tolerated and I will stress that at interview.

I also looked up the tax laws, and hiring/firing laws for my state, just in case.

It is stressful!!!
TwinKristi 04:54 PM 05-07-2014
I'm interested as well. I have a friend/neighbor who uses an assistant often (I was one before starting my own DC) and she just hired someone and sent her down to my house and I'd like to utilize her services as well but don't know how I "start"...
Do I just "tell" parents? Announce in an email? Flyer? What if they're unhappy? How many days do you train? Mine wouldn't be FT, just if I have an appt or something to avoid closing. I'm thinking of having her come for a few hours one day before actually leaving her, meet parents and kids, see how I do things, etc. She's $13/hr but it should be worth it for a couple hours at a time vs closing. It would never be a whole day or anything.
daycare 05:03 PM 05-07-2014
I have 3 employees

I can share with you what I have and what I expect.

first mistake we are not friends, just like your DC parents this is a business

second, it is hard at times to boss or manage because you work so closely with this person in your home. I am very chill, but I mean what I mean.

NO social media tied to my business, your profile must be private, it is what I require if you want to work here. If you don't want to do that you don't need to work here.

NO Cell phones on the job, you can use them at break time, no pics of any children with that phone EVER

I will not tolerate late arrival for any reason. If you are sick you must call in at least 3 hours before your shift starts. I will allow 3 a year, unless you can prove that you are really sick, which will cost you a doc note.

No babysitting for the DC parents I catch you, your done.

I do all the communicating with the parents, you are here to only assist me.

I have job descriptions of what they must do on a daily basis. I have one that comes only for nap time and I have a daily list of what she needs to get done during this time.

I have not had any issues with my employees other than one that was not clocking in and out on time. We worked that out and all is good. All of my employees have been with me for over a year one is going on year 3.

I only give a raise once a year and that is if they have met all of the requirements.
craftymissbeth 05:17 PM 05-07-2014
Daycare, would you mind sharing your job descriptions? I'm considering hiring someone part time in the mornings to help me get the older kids outside while the infants nap... and so I can actually get stuff done around here.
MCC 05:34 PM 05-07-2014
I have one full time assistant, and a few subs that I use.

I agree with a lot of what daycare says, the most important is that they are not your friend. I am friendly with them, but no personal stuff.

I have struggled to put my foot down with certain things, b/c it is a bit awkward working so close with someone after having a "talk" with them about their work efforts.

When I first started hiring, I was looking for someone I "clicked" with, and I realized that was a bit of a mistake. I need someone who will WORK, not entertain me. I do prefer that we share similar beliefs and morals when it comes to dealing with the kids, but as long as they follow my directions and training, then I don't really care if we click.

I train them for about a week before I leave them alone with the kids, I will start by going into a different area of my house, and then maybe take a walk with some kids while I leaves others with them, then eventually leave the house.

I will say, it added a HUGE level of stress to this business, I now have a payroll company, a CPA, and an attorney, b/c I do not know the labor laws, and I didn't want to mess up.

I pay $9.50 until they get their CPR cert, and then $10 after that.
NoMoreJuice! 05:12 AM 05-08-2014
Thank you all for your input. I am so nervous. I have three interviews between now and Saturday morning, so I am trying to come up with some great questions to ask the candidates.

Do you have a killer question that you would recommend? Or do you give a scenario, and ask how they would respond?
Cradle2crayons 06:40 AM 05-08-2014
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
Thank you all for your input. I am so nervous. I have three interviews between now and Saturday morning, so I am trying to come up with some great questions to ask the candidates.

Do you have a killer question that you would recommend? Or do you give a scenario, and ask how they would respond?
I would ask specific scenario things. Write down specific kid behavior issues and ask how they deal with the issues.
Cradle2crayons 06:49 AM 05-08-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
I'm interested as well. I have a friend/neighbor who uses an assistant often (I was one before starting my own DC) and she just hired someone and sent her down to my house and I'd like to utilize her services as well but don't know how I "start"...
Do I just "tell" parents? Announce in an email? Flyer? What if they're unhappy? How many days do you train? Mine wouldn't be FT, just if I have an appt or something to avoid closing. I'm thinking of having her come for a few hours one day before actually leaving her, meet parents and kids, see how I do things, etc. She's $13/hr but it should be worth it for a couple hours at a time vs closing. It would never be a whole day or anything.
$13 an hour? I'm in the wrong part of the profession lol.

I don't even make that! I don't even make HALF that. Can I come be your assistant?
SignMeUp 11:18 AM 05-08-2014

I like the scenario suggestion. You can ask about practical, every day stuff that we do automatically, but actually takes an on-task brain that knows a lot about children, as well as regulations.
Annalee 11:26 AM 05-08-2014
Originally Posted by MCC:
I have one full time assistant, and a few subs that I use.

I agree with a lot of what daycare says, the most important is that they are not your friend. I am friendly with them, but no personal stuff.

I have struggled to put my foot down with certain things, b/c it is a bit awkward working so close with someone after having a "talk" with them about their work efforts.

When I first started hiring, I was looking for someone I "clicked" with, and I realized that was a bit of a mistake. I need someone who will WORK, not entertain me. I do prefer that we share similar beliefs and morals when it comes to dealing with the kids, but as long as they follow my directions and training, then I don't really care if we click.

I train them for about a week before I leave them alone with the kids, I will start by going into a different area of my house, and then maybe take a walk with some kids while I leaves others with them, then eventually leave the house.

I will say, it added a HUGE level of stress to this business, I now have a payroll company, a CPA, and an attorney, b/c I do not know the labor laws, and I didn't want to mess up.

I pay $9.50 until they get their CPR cert, and then $10 after that.
My assistant for my entire 22 plus years has been my mom. If she retires, I will cut my ratio back to 7 and work alone. There is NO ONE I would want to work with that many hours...it just comes natural with mom and I.
TaylorTots 11:40 AM 05-08-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:

I don't even make that! I don't even make HALF that. Can I come be your assistant?
How many kids do you care for?

I am small at 5 kids and only one is here FT. I still make $10 an hour after I take out for taxes and overhead expenses like groceries...
daycare 12:49 PM 05-08-2014
I will post my job description for you in a bit. Having a busy day.

Also I have daily check list. I will post those too
TwinKristi 02:43 PM 05-08-2014

She actually paid me $15/hr when I worked for her! And it really depends on the day but before my "expenses" I make about $200/day on average right now. But in Jan I was so slow I was only making $65/day and could take the DC kids with me! I don't pay someone to come in daily, it would just be if I had to take my kids to the dentist or for an appt. Closing would cost me $200 and piss parents off, so if I pay someone $26-39 cash a couple times a month it's worth it.

Originally Posted by TaylorTots:
How many kids do you care for?

I am small at 5 kids and only one is here FT. I still make $10 an hour after I take out for taxes and overhead expenses like groceries...
I have no idea what I would have to calculate for overhead per day/hour, but on my busy days I make about $20/hr before expenses.

I will add that I live in a VERY high COL area and work mostly with infants and toddlers. I have one preschool aged girl that started this week but I don't know how long that will last, maybe til early June when school is out and she can start at a preschool. I have 4 FT and 1 PT and some drop-ins once or twice a month. Rent alone is $60/day. Add bills, food... It adds up quick! Even making what I make I couldn't afford to stay afloat without dh working FT as well. We barely survived the years I was a SAHM. For the first time I'm interviewing for future spots when these infants turn 2 and I have word of mouth referrals. It's really nice! My dh doesn't have to work so hard and we can actually save money!
grandmom 03:21 PM 05-08-2014
Beyond experience, and can you work with the person I'd look for two additional things.

1. Honesty. Can you trust this person to tell you the truth. And to tell the truth about you.

2. Modesty. Does this person have body parts and body art hanging out. I am a very conservative dresser and expect the same of my employees. No low cuts or high cuts. It's inappropriate for the children and for the parents to have to look at, or avoid looking at.

I'd suggest having a working interview. Yes you have to pay the person but you can see how the interact with children.
daycare 03:55 PM 05-08-2014
Ok so I got a new computer and am having a hard time finding my files..

I hired off of referals from people that I know. I did not want a complete stranger because these people are in my house, they know all about my private home life and they will be around my family. Just so you know, nothing is a secret in my house when you have employees. They get to see everything that I see every day that goes on in my home.

I would suggest talking to people you know and see if you can get a referral.

Here is my job description, I show this to them at the interview...

The Daycare and Preschool is in search of a Part Time Daycare Assistant. This caring and enthusiastic professional will assist the Lead Teacher with daily lesson plans, as well as support the healthy development of children from 20 months to 5 years of age.
Duties: Responsibilities include:
Daily care for all children in attendance (diapering, feeding, educating, safety, etc)
• Assist the lead caregivers in implementing lesson plans
• Supervise indoor and outdoor free play
• Clean and keep playroom area organized
Additional responsibilities include:
• Follow a daily schedule and implement prepped activities
• Keep children engaged during activities and lessons
• Make activities interactive between teacher and child
• Take initiative when appropriate
• Improvise when needed
• Chaperone on field trips when needed
• Ability to maintain a professional attitude and appearance
• Multitask
• Maintain Confidentially agreement for protection of all children and families
Working environment:
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands:
• Ability to lift a maximum of 60lbs
• carrying, pushing, and/or pulling
• significant stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling
• Able to deal with crying children/temper tantrums
Generally the job requires 25% sitting, 25% walking, and 50% standing. The job is performed under conditions with exposure to risk of injury and/or illness.
Qualifications: Ideal candidates will have the following:
• Prior preschool classroom or in-home daycare experience with this age group is preferred, willing to train the right person.
• Demonstrated knowledge of developmentally appropriate practices
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Exhibit exceptional effort in flexibility and dependability
• Possess a willingness to learn
• Able to work overtime if needed
Candidates must be able to provide all state required documents:
• Proof of age (over 18)
• Criminal History Check
• Substance abuse test
• TB test
• First Aid certificate (current or to be completed within 90 days of hire)
• CPR for infant/child (current or to be completed within 30 days of hire)
daycare 04:09 PM 05-08-2014
This is my afternoon asst that comes during nap time only....

Full kitchen clean up Daily
• Dishes washed, dried and put away
• Counters cleaned
• Floor swept
• All food is put away
• All tables cleaned
• No food left out of any kind. Put all food away and make sure is placed in the cooler with appropriate lid.
• Wipe out the microwave any spills, clean outside
• Any supplies left on the counter such a paint, toys etc to be cleaned and placed in their appropriate place.
• High-chair sprayed and cleaned
• Check floor for large food and throw away.

Monday
• Wipe down all chairs and tables. Be sure to wipe down the legs and under the tables completely.
• Clean out Cooler Box, wipe all spills, check for old food and dump
• Wash and dry the containers taken from the cooler
• Spray and clean outside of the cooler
• Bathroom Restock-
• Cut Paper for diaper changes enough for one week
• Check to make sure each child has enough diapers in their box
• Check to see if there are enough gloves available
• Do we have enough wipes
• Toilet paper
• Wipe down counter, use all purpose bleach spray. Wipe away access water
• Check to make sure enough hand towels are stocked
• Wash the basket of hand towels in hot water with bleach solution
If child is out of cubby supplies or diapers use a restocking notification slip and hang from child’s cubby box for the parent to take home. Make sure that you are clear about what is needed to be brought back by the parents and when. Place a copy of the request slip on Noha’s Desk.

Wednesday
• Clear all shelves, spray and wipe clean
• Organize any art/papers needed
• Re-organize books, felt board stories and puzzles
• Make sure all puzzles are in the correct box/board
• Clean fish tank
• Wipe clean entry way
• Load pictures for website from weeks activities thus far
Help organize curriculum as needed, Preform other jobs as needed
KidGrind 06:04 PM 05-08-2014

As a substitute, I made an average of $25 per hour. $13 is a great rate.
TwinKristi 06:31 PM 05-08-2014
And when I worked at a high end fitness center "Playcare" I was started at $8.50 and asked for $10 because I was considered a supervisor. I only worked 2 days a week but I felt it was only right since the other 2 supervisors were getting that and I was running a PNO event once a month. Even though it's not an actual daycare center, it was very much like one but in a speed dating version. Every 2hrs you switch to a new set of kids. Some transitioning, some only there once, some come daily. I don't wanna say it was harder but some aspects were harder than home daycare. Anyway, it was a job worth more than the pay for sure!!
Josiegirl 03:14 AM 05-09-2014
A woman called me that runs a state subsidized program. I can get someone in here for the summer months, paid for by the state. It would allow me to have all my school age children back. I wasn't going to do it but might be changing my mind. I may need to bank that extra income for the fall because who knows what my enrollment will be like then.
I'm just extremely nervous about it. I always feel so judged anyways and then to have someone come in here, observe, scrutinize all that I do and the way I do it. It might be someone from a local center and I know I operate way differently.
Anyone want to offer reasons why I should/shouldn't? I'm pretty sure the state has them do the background check and takes care of all that. Of course, I'd sit down with the coordinator and the person and discuss everything.
I need to call her back today.
I appreciate all your words of wisdom!! Oh, take into account that I've never worked with anyone here, except my 21 dd.

Oops, I'm sorry, I thought I made a new topic!! Didn't mean to add my questions here.
Play Care 03:22 AM 05-09-2014

I pay mine well, but I expect her (the main one) to pretty much run the program so I don't have to be here. I also don't have her here all day, so even though she is paid well hourly, it doesn't come out to a huge amount each week. I found when I paid minimum wage I got cruddy help. Both my assistants have degrees, and the main one is a former Kindergarten teacher.
NoMoreJuice! 05:50 AM 05-09-2014
Thanks for the job description and chore list, Daycare! That will help a ton!! I was struggling to figure out all of that. And thanks for posting about Nannyde's blog...I had no idea she wrote all of that helpful stuff! She's amazingly detailed!!

Thanks everyone for the help...the more prepared I feel, the less nervous I get. I have two interviews tonight and two tomorrow, but I have a great feeling about a particular one tonight.
daycare 06:53 AM 05-09-2014
Thanks for the job description and chore list, Daycare! That will help a ton!! I was struggling to figure out all of that. And thanks for posting about Nannyde's blog...I had no idea she wrote all of that helpful stuff! She's amazingly detailed!!

Thanks everyone for the help...the more prepared I feel, the less nervous I get. I have two interviews tonight and two tomorrow, but I have a great feeling about a particular one tonight.
I have more. I just am struggle to find it.
I'll post it when I find
Tags:assistant
Reply Up