Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Whole Grain?
Country Kids 11:52 AM 12-02-2011
The doughnut machine thread made me think about something the food program didn't tell me.

Nothing was said about going Whole Grain!!!! What actually get me is that they said except for the milk-needs to be 1% or skim-that if it is on the minute menu its acceptable.

Now if they are going to go back and forth thats going to get to hard to figure out!

I have found things that aren't in the handbook as ok, but is on the sample menus's and minute menu so another thing I need to talk to my person about.
familyschoolcare 12:10 PM 12-02-2011
While the food program is a federal program it is run by each state and as such some of the rules are a little different. Are you in the same state as the

Op from the donut machine thread if not then going whole grain may not be what your state is doing. I know that here in cal it needs to either be whhole

grain or enriched flour.
jessrlee 01:40 PM 12-02-2011
My reps held a meeting warning us that in oct, 2012 we will be going whole grain, fish once a week, processed food once a week and color coded vitamin stuff.
caring4kidsinSD 04:37 PM 12-02-2011
Originally Posted by jessrlee:
My reps held a meeting warning us that in oct, 2012 we will be going whole grain, fish once a week, processed food once a week and color coded vitamin stuff.
THey better raise the rates they pay us if they want us to serve better food. I would LOVE to offer better choices but can't afford it on $1 a meal, and 19 cents a snack! Good food never goes on sale!
MARSTELAC 05:24 PM 12-02-2011

what in the world is the vitamin stuff? I'm super scared!
jessrlee 06:11 PM 12-02-2011
You have to serve foods with certain vitamins and highlight them certain colors. Like every day you have to have a food high in iron, vit c, etc.
SilverSabre25 06:13 PM 12-02-2011
omg I could NOT do that. I don't cook fish.

PERIOD.

i can't stand it. I would be willing to claim a fish allergy in order to get exempted or something...and sometimes I wonder if my extreme aversion to the stuff is my body telling me something.

I have eaten fish three times in the past 20 years...once in France when I wasn't sure what I was eating, once when I was craving it while pregnant with DD, and once when craving it while pregnant with DS.
familyschoolcare 09:37 PM 12-02-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:

PERIOD.

i can't stand it. I would be willing to claim a fish allergy in order to get exempted or something...and sometimes I wonder if my extreme aversion to the stuff is my body telling me something.

I have eaten fish three times in the past 20 years...once in France when I wasn't sure what I was eating, once when I was craving it while pregnant with DD, and once when craving it while pregnant with DS.
I think that was no more than once a week.

I know my food rep said "we would like it if you limited the high fat and processed foods to no more than twice a week."
familyschoolcare 09:45 PM 12-02-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:

PERIOD.

I know my food rep said "we would like it if you limited the high fat and processed foods to no more than twice a week."
SilverSabre25 04:50 AM 12-03-2011
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:

oh that's good, that puts a much better spin on it :P I could easily meet the "no more than once a week"...it would be never. With the other things you mentioned though, the vitamin requirements, etc, I could see them requiring fish once a week. "It's healthy".
Tags:diet, food program questions, nutrition
Reply Up